Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Dag, I thought that would've been the most hyped movie with the amount of legendaries in it, but alas.

That's kinda why they went so all out with it at all, because the movies have been gradually slipping each year.

Heck I think the anime overall, I dread to say, is gradually becoming less popular in Japan ever since that Yokai Watch or whatever it's called arrived on the scene.

"Our numbers are slipping, sir! What do we do?!" *Staring out through the blinds of a window* "*sigh* ...if ever there was a time for "that" last resort, it's now." "Sir...you don't mean-" "I do."

hqdefault.jpg

29_top5gif03.gif

*cut to black as "Coming Soon" fades onto the screen*

...Let me dream.

Edited by Ferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Looks like the Pokemon movie series might be in trouble...

Your link is in trouble.

...seriously, it's not loading anything for me. What does it say?

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I guess the site went down for a bit. But seeing how badly M18's doing, combined with that comment of them trying to shove as much fanservice in as possible, makes me laugh considering the faux-fanservice stunt M16 pulled with its Mewtwo. Perhaps the crows are finally coming home to roost, eh?

• Thumbs Up 2

This is another message for creators that further fundamental changes are needed. And, it's time to say goodbye with Ash properly. And when the show is now an opportunity for this. All they need to give him become a Pokemon Master, and Serena a Queen Kalos, and make the most beautiful and epic bargain Happy End. And then give the new protagonist, each new generation. And to complement this event, the next 19th movie they can try to make a this very powerful and tabulation of 19-20 years, during which Ash and Pikachu studied various parts of the world and saved the same world.

I look forward to it all, as well as the fact that, at least in the US version of the film will be called "Pokemon: The Last Movie" (but what ?! Since the first film was called "The First Movie," it is possible and it is! :))! And also on the soundtrack of the American spirit in the first two films.

Here is my other threads:

I was thinking - Ash finally become a Pokemon Master, and after then - will take their friends in Kanto to celebrate it. And this celebration will be special - to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise, which will bring together all the heroes of the past and the Pokemon series. Who will gather at the local Poke exhibition similar to Comic Con and E3, which staged in Pallet Town. And just in time for the Ash's 11th birthday. Then the party breaks "Team Rocket", with the rest of their Pokemon, and Butch and Cassidy, who decides caught everyone by surprise, covered Pallet Town dome, one blow get revenge for all the heroes of their failures. But here he comes to the aid Richie (who also found himself a girlfriend milking - Helena), and - "TEAM ROCKET" Blasting off again!!! 
And final saga in the Kalos can be similar to the final DP. After this party takes a few days, Bonnie and Clemont going back to the Kalos and Serena remains with Ash. But Dedenne is not like, and runs off into the woods, where the bumps on the "Team Rocket" and pack Spearow. But Ash friends come to the rescue, and all reconciled. And Ash and Serena bump into a tree, which they met. Then Clemont and Bonnie are back in Kalos, and Ash with Serena still together.
And after this - epilogue Ash's story, which will be dedicated to the fight against the Team Rocket and Giovanni. And deploy everything in Hoenn, well, or archipelago between Kanto, Hoenn, and Kalos. Several months have passed since the victory in the League, Ash happily lives in Pallet Town with their Pokemon and Serena. And then decided to go on summer vacation together in this archipelago (the attire similar to Red's and Blue/Green/Leaf (for me she is Blue) clothes. It is even possible remake of Pokemon Yellow. This way the second in what I dream to see the 20th anniversary of the franchise . And probably dream about this remake will help to see Ash's long-awaited victory in the league. Dreaming of perhaps no longer possible- this remake! And by the way, Serena can in the time spent with Ash and his mother, to the joy of re-grow haircut. Looking like Blue's haircut). It is even possible to meet again with Clemont and Bonnie (and Dedenne). While Giovanni with the Team Rocket was left without competition decided to get the Legendary Pokemon force of this generation (most likely Volcanion)/next region, using the remains of the defeated other organizations. And of course, Ash with your friends get in the way, and can also be connected to the case May and Max (thereby adding a love triangle - Ash + May + Serena and education LearnShipping (Bonnie + Max). And maybe we can even show his Ash's father.
Edited by Mecha X
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest the Pokemon movies have been getting worse and worse over the past couple of years. M16 was the last straw really because of the plotholetastic Newtwo BS.

If the anime does end one day, then make Ash the fucking champion already!

• Thumbs Up 4

If they actually replace Ash, I'll eat my hat; if they hook him up with Serena, I'll put condiments on it.

• Thumbs Up 6

To this day I don't get why they don't just make Ash the champion already especially since they established in the anime that there's an even greater pokemon league for all the champions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Coming from someone who didn't give a damn about M16's apparent "plot hole" and loved FemTwo, the movies have been on a varying degree of quality as of late. I never watch the episodes, since the movies have a bigger budget and tend to be written better at times. Mewtwo was the only thing I liked about M16, the story as a whole was kinda meh. It would have been way better if it was just Mewtwo vs Red Genesect without the Fluttershy-esque thing the other one had.

I haven't watched the Diancie movie yet but will get to it eventually. I'll probably avoid Hoopa altogether, that dub preview was terrible in terms of voice acting.

I definitely want to see a fresh start for the series, I mean a REAL Fresh Start with a new protagonist and everything.

I do agree that there should be a new male/female protagonist to replace Ash in each new season, but like Sonic I think the main series anime should take a break and have a spin-off anime series based on one of the spin-off games/manga in between. Preferably Mystery Dungeon and even Pokemon Conquest which IMO has the most potential for having a series and having story lines that break monotony of collecting badges and catching Pokemon.

Edited by AdventChild

Next week is finally a relevant episode, the falcon spreads its wings;

0d0.gif

Awwwwwwwww Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, did anyone want to own the godawful classic Johto series of Pokemon on DVD and not have to pay hundreds of dollars? Well fret no more. Viz Media is finally releasing a complete box set of the Johto Journeys on DVD this November.

813ouXy4-WL._SL1500_.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Johto-Journeys-Complete-Collection/dp/B012YPV0YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441440066&sr=8-1&keywords=pokemon+johto

At this point though I guess those very desperate already bought the Australian releases, but hey. It's still there for those who actually want it or are completionists. :V

Also I noticed the discussion on the Pokemon anime here has died a bit. Gotta admit, I haven't been keeping up with XY all that much anymore. Been kinda busy and not really motivated to watch it during my free time. :/ 

So GoNintendo revealed an upcoming Pokemon calendar showing the anime protagonists' 'mon.

CL010M_g.jpg

Notice anything interesting?

• Thumbs Up 5

GRENINJA HYPE

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm pretty behind on the show due to Inazuma Eleven GO but I could probably catch up on Saturday.

So GoNintendo revealed an upcoming Pokemon calendar showing the anime protagonists' 'mon.

CL010M_g.jpg

Notice anything interesting?

What a nice calendar coverage, but I'm aware that it can contain spoilers.

The problem with the fucking anime, and one I picked up pretty quickly in my middle school years, is that there's no reason to ever invest yourself in what is happening. Ash will never become champion. All of his partners will eventually leave him. He will continue to visit new regions and have his level 100,000 Pikachu lose against level 2 Pidgey clones. Team Rocket will never catch Pikachu and they will never be as good or endearing as they were in the early seasons.

It's far too late to do this, but what they should have done was have a new protagonist in every season. They can all follow the same exact plots with a new MC starting out in their hometown, getting their starter for the first time, and going on a journey to become a Pokémon master... and yes it will still be very formulaic and predictable, but damn at least you know that each arc will reach its own conclusion and that there actually is a legitimate reason to care about what is going on. As it stands, although the Pokémon games are some of my favorite RPGs ever and have this all-ages appeal to them, the anime is worthless kids' TV fodder in my eyes. The anime can end spontaneously for all I care, I adored it as a kid but my current attachment is nil.

I find the "it's about the journey not the destination" is a pretty apt message in this case. I care less about the final resort and more about the Pokemon, rivals, companions and whatever arcs they get. Though most people I hear say stuff never got past OS beyond scattered episodes here and there (which doesn't give you an idea how things have changed at all).

And of course nevermind the fact that the anime does have fully realized character arcs for many characters and does put forth good messages beyond shallow children's show tripe, and I frankly find it hilarious how just because they don't win the big tournaments  (even if they're the god damn runner up) all the growth they went through is somehow invalidated.  Im just saying not everyhting that happens in the anime revolves atoubd Ash. But ive come to accept that these things largely get ignored in the roaring crowd of "replace ash!! the anime doesn't end!! Pikachu should be OP (because Pikachu killing everything with no trouble whatsoever sounds super engaging I guess) and kill everything by now!1 yadda yadda"

Ill at least agree that Team Rocket sucks btw. At least now

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find the "it's about the journey not the destination" is a pretty apt message in this case. I care less about the final resort and more about the Pokemon, rivals, companions and whatever arcs they get. Though most people I hear say stuff never got past OS beyond scattered episodes here and there (which doesn't give you an idea how things have changed at all).

And of course nevermind the fact that the anime does have fully realized character arcs for many characters and does put forth good messages beyond shallow children's show tripe, and I frankly find it hilarious how just because they don't win the big tournaments  (even if they're the god damn runner up) all the growth they went through is somehow invalidated.  Im just saying not everyhting that happens in the anime revolves atoubd Ash. But ive come to accept that these things largely get ignored in the roaring crowd of "replace ash!! the anime doesn't end!! Pikachu should be OP (because Pikachu killing everything with no trouble whatsoever sounds super engaging I guess) and kill everything by now!1 yadda yadda"

Ill at least agree that Team Rocket sucks btw. At least now

I kinda think it's more because there is no sense of progression in regards to Ash, or more accurately whatever progression he DOES have is constantly undermined either by moments of character regression, or because his journey has been stretched out for such a ridiculously long time that it becomes very difficult to care for him because it feels like he's going in circles. All of those "replace Ash, the Anime doesn't end" sort of things stems from the fact that Ash's journey is endless to the point of repetitive tedium, and that it might be better to give him a sense of true permanent progression/finality so that things can finally move on to something completely fresh.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile
  • Thumbs Up 2

I kinda think it's more because there is no sense of progression in regards to Ash, or more accurately whatever progression he DOES have is constantly undermined either by moments of character regression, or because his journey has been stretched out for such a ridiculously long time that it becomes very difficult to care for him because it feels like he's going in circles. All of those "replace Ash, the Anime doesn't end" sort of things stems from the fact that Ash's journey is endless to the point of repetitive tedium, and that it might be better to give him a sense of true permanent progression/finality so that things can finally move on to something completely fresh.

Basically this. Let him be a champion at a regional league and have him lose in the next region to show that he is the strongest in one region but he still has much to learn. Like his wins in the orange league and battle frontier then being knocked a peg by Gary just have it be after a regional league victory in the next region. DP saga would have been a perfect example of tHis. 

have Ash win the sinnoh league become champion. The lose to one of tHe e4 or Cynthia . then find out about Unova and continue from tHere

The anime is primarily merchandise driven, its first and foremost job is to promote the games and its mons above literally everything else. This is why Ash's journey is an eternal one because as long as he exists, he will be the connection between the newer generations and the new Pokemon that debut. Ash's journey to be a "pokemon master" is intentionally left vague so they can justify him running from region to region and fighting in each league. 

Basically, I'm pretty sure most of us have outgrown the Anime; we're aware of all of its tropes and knows its going to play them straight with no deviation to appeal to the newer children that watch the show. I personally don't even try to keep up with it anymore outside of a few token moments because I know most of the season is going to be filled with "Pokemon/Human of the day" episodes and that's kinda it. 

But yea, the anime is just...not for me anymore; I've outgrown it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The anime is primarily merchandise driven, its first and foremost job is to promote the games and its mons above literally everything else. This is why Ash's journey is an eternal one because as long as he exists, he will be the connection between the newer generations and the new Pokemon that debut. Ash's journey to be a "pokemon master" is intentionally left vague so they can justify him running from region to region and fighting in each league. 

Basically, I'm pretty sure most of us have outgrown the Anime; we're aware of all of its tropes and knows its going to play them straight with no deviation to appeal to the newer children that watch the show. I personally don't even try to keep up with it anymore outside of a few token moments because I know most of the season is going to be filled with "Pokemon/Human of the day" episodes and that's kinda it. 

But yea, the anime is just...not for me anymore; I've outgrown it. 

same here. I gave up watching in BW after I saw team rocket regress themselves after the cancelled rocket/plasma arc when they had amazing development from BW's start till that point. 

I still like you may watch token episodes. I've see all mega evolution episodes and most of the new movies. But I gave up on the show.