Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

BW was garbage so I don't blame you. :V

I don't think I'll ever outgrow it. It was pretty much the first thing I remember watching as a kid. It still makes me laugh, sometimes makes me teary eyed (Espurr episode ;-; ), and the battles are still pretty cool.

The problem with the fucking anime, and one I picked up pretty quickly in my middle school years, is that there's no reason to ever invest yourself in what is happening. Ash will never become champion. All of his partners will eventually leave him. He will continue to visit new regions and have his level 100,000 Pikachu lose against level 2 Pidgey clones. Team Rocket will never catch Pikachu and they will never be as good or endearing as they were in the early seasons.

It's far too late to do this, but what they should have done was have a new protagonist in every season. They can all follow the same exact plots with a new MC starting out in their hometown, getting their starter for the first time, and going on a journey to become a Pokémon master... and yes it will still be very formulaic and predictable, but damn at least you know that each arc will reach its own conclusion and that there actually is a legitimate reason to care about what is going on. As it stands, although the Pokémon games are some of my favorite RPGs ever and have this all-ages appeal to them, the anime is worthless kids' TV fodder in my eyes. The anime can end spontaneously for all I care, I adored it as a kid but my current attachment is nil.

This.

I felt the same way too when BW started, it just started getting grating to the point where I just couldn't bring myself to care about Ash anymore, even in XY really since it'll be the same cycle with the character again when the next new Generation games start.

If the people who frequent this thread the most dislike/hate/outgrown the show I do wonder how it's managed to stay as active as it has :P

Then again this thread is most updated when mews/evolutions/captures/important battles happen and is otherwise completely silent with little to no actual discussion about the actual character arcs and such so I guess there no reason to expect that here aforementioned updates are spaced out with people saying how much they don't like the show or watch it (but still keep tabs on it foooor some reason) so I guess I shouldn't expect it in the future then 

Edited by Soniman

If the people who frequent this thread the most dislike/hate/outgrown the show I do wonder how it's managed to stay as active as it has :P

Then again this thread is most updated when mews/evolutions/captures/important battles happen and is otherwise completely silent with little to no actual discussion about the actual character arcs and such so I guess there no reason to expect that here aforementioned updates are spaced out with people saying how much they don't like the show or watch it (but still keep tabs on it foooor some reason) so I guess I shouldn't expect it in the future then 

It was a big part of my childhood. So even if I do find the show rrepetitive and no longer keep up to date on the characters arcs it doesn't mean I can't take a small peek once in a while to see what's up.

I mean dude, we don't have to love it. I just got bored with it; it was a big part of my childhood and I do sneak a peak every now and then, but for the most part...I'm just not invested in anything. 

... Should I just make a Pokemon Adventures/Special topic? The manga seems like something that's just way more worth talking about than the anime. Mainly because aside from just being amazing on all fronts, it's also, well, actually got substance.

Speaking of which, I need to catch up on HGHS, the rest of BW, BW2, and XY. If only I could find somewhere I could get good scans from.

I mean dude, we don't have to love it. I just got bored with it; it was a big part of my childhood and I do sneak a peak every now and then, but for the most part...I'm just not invested in anything. 

Fair enough, im not forcing anyone to like it, just thought it might be nice to get a genuine discussion every now adn then rather then the "I hate the anime, It means nothing to me, etc etc" stuff that usually goes on here, but ill just let it go now.

... Should I just make a Pokemon Adventures/Special topic? The manga seems like something that's just way more worth talking about than the anime. 

I mean if it stops the topic from being flooded with posts about how the anime isnt worth talking about (quite a paradox there) then by all means do so and discuss 

Edited by Soniman

Stronger than Xerneas and Yveltal put together? Sounds sweet. Now the question remains is that if its stronger than Mega Rayquaza.

Fair enough, im not forcing anyone to like it, just thought it might be nice to get a genuine discussion every now adn then rather then the "I hate the anime, It means nothing to me, etc etc" stuff that usually goes on here, but ill just let it go now.

I mean if it stops the topic from being flooded with posts about how the anime isnt worth talking about (quite a paradox there) then by all means do so and discuss 

Seriously, you need to chill out. It's a public forum and anything can be talked about within reason, and that includes what I dislike about the Pokémon anime. It's not like I'm chastising anyone else for liking it, and nobody complains about people going into a topic dedicated to a particular video game and expressing their dislike for said game, so why is it that this topic has to be excluded just because you don't like that? And I really don't understand why you have to get so passive aggressive, especially when nobody was attacking you for liking the show. This isn't the only time I've seen you do this, this is what you do in just about every topic I see you post in that involves you disagreeing with someone else's views, and I don't understand where this confrontational attitude comes from; it makes it really unappealing to engage in a conversation with you sometimes.

Not even trying to like attack you for this (I saw your other replies the other day and didn't say anything since I wasn't interested in raising an argument) but I'm legitimately trying to figure out why you're like this all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not even trying to like attack you for this (I saw your other replies the other day and didn't say anything since I wasn't interested in raising an argument) but I'm legitimately trying to figure out why you're like this all the time.

shitty mood I guess, I kinda regret making the posts now (if they can be deleted make it happen someone), but whatever. il try to be less of an asshole (I didnt know it was all the time but I didnt realize I suppose), talk about the show however you want, I dont care, ill just avoid the topic in the future from now on

Edited by Soniman

Been watching through season one of Pokemon again just for the fun of it. It’s been fun, but also really… weird looking back.

I wish the series stuck more to the original games’ story progression and tone. I love the characters, the way everything looked and all the music (mostly the JP stuff but a few English ones as well) of the first couple of seasons, but I feel like it let itself get too far into the infamous “Pokemon episode” story routine way too early. It feels like there was a plot (and there is still an overarching one as it goes), but somewhere past the first 10 or 12 episodes or so it becomes where most of the episodes feel like filler instead of having any relevancy to anything.

Just wish they would’ve focused Ash more on the battles, collecting a lot of Pokemon, evolving the ones he has and stuff, and actually getting good. Ash gets all three starters and only evolves one of them. Pretty sad. I mean yeah they wanted to focus on “love and care over brute force” but isn’t it also a thing where that kind of passion for them makes them stronger/evolve anyways? Why does the series focus so hard on the ‘evils’ of evolving or something if it’s a natural process for most instances, anyways?

Its just kinda a shame because the show has so much going for it. Ash despite his shortcomings is really likeable, Misty is really great and so is Brock. Pikachu is Pikachu but before everyone got tired of him so still good, TR is great but we all knew that, Oak and Ash’s mom and etc are all good side characters, and everyone’s interactions are fun. Heck, I really like this series’ takes on most of the gym leaders too. Makes me really wish they all were done better justice.

Also nostalgia be damned, the dub is pretty bad. It’s better than most 4kids works, buuut it’s still 4kids. Granted the voices fit, but it’s like the Sonic Adventure games in that while the voices themselves are fine, the acting and script attached is… definitely not as good.

Also, Mezase Pokemon Master >>>>> Gotta Catch Em All, by lightyears. (I can hear the mob approaching for that.)

^Actually in the current season, Ash has been battling quite a bit more (since you said you want that out of a pokemon), doing quite well for himself and has won like 90% of his battles thus far. He has alsoevolved all his Pokemon that are capable are doing so (minus Pikachu for obvious reasons). Idk if that would make want to watch the recent stuff but it's just a heads up. The Diamond and Pearl anime also does this to.

Also despite 4 Kids label being seen poison when it comes to anime I actually do consider Pokémon the one exception as I think the VAs for it are very good and act rather well. The dialogue comes off as more glowing, natural, something along those lines? I feel like they're real people who actually have a passion for the characters they voice. Either way I don't think they're bad. Don't talk to me about their TPCi replacements tho, good god

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I guess my main problem with Pokemon is that it's too little too late for me. :\

I would like to care and be invested in the story better, and I'd like to be happy that Ash is a pretty competent trainer now, but it's been like nearabout 20 seasons since it started and there's no sign of it stopping (let alone have any sort of resolve), so it's just not worth it to me.

He's gonna just continue on like last time to some new place, leave his friends he made and everything about their relationships completely unrequited, and then he's going to appear in the next generation's variant of the show, building up from zero again (and if not then, then it'll happen at some point, maybe another season or two later). 

I also care a lot about Misty and Brock, since they were my favorite characters in the show (especially Misty). Their interactions with Ash and his bonds he grew with the both of them made the show for me, and the fact that they're so long gone that they're practically non-existent at this point just sours everything for me too. And sure, I wouldn't have wanted them to follow Ash for another 16 or so seasons, but who said I even wanted Ash to last in the series that long?

Idk. I honestly wish the Pokemon anime could get a reboot. Restart with Ash & Pikachu, do his arc better and use every character from the first couple of seasons to their fullest potential, tell interesting stories instead of wasting them mostly on filler episodes, aaand then make Ash reach his goal and make the show about somebody else. Move on. Introduce new characters without having to tack him or Jessie & James onto it, in fact make them more important as background characters as time goes on.

Pokemon Adventures and the Electric Tale of Pikachu (those two mangas) did a better job of giving me the Pokemon experience I wanted (in different ways), but the show is just... disappointing. And a show feels infinitely more important than a manga, tbh.

Sigh.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 9

It's honestly a shame what they did to the Kanto gym leaders in just given away badges but then again the writers didnt expect the show to last long. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite growing up with the original series I actually can't bring myself to watch it again. The voices are a lot worse than I remember which is one problem (I prefer the new ones), and I don't really like the art style either. I'll still watch the movies since most of them are entertaining, but...

DP was the best series. As much as I like XY I wish it'd go back to being that good.

Despite growing up with the original series I actually can't bring myself to watch it again. The voices are a lot worse than I remember which is one problem (I prefer the new ones), and I don't really like the art style either. I'll still watch the movies since most of them are entertaining, but...

DP was the best series. As much as I like XY I wish it'd go back to being that good.

OH god, we've gotten to the point where people are starting to forget about Veronica Taylor, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (Realizes its been almost 10 years since she voiced Ash) holy shit....

But yea, the original series had slightly better writing for the characters and did seem like it was heading somewhere; why do you ask? Because the original head writer of the series, Takeshi Shudo was still around up until mid-Johto. 

Of note, he had some pretty...."interesting" ideas for the series and it would have turned out a lot different than what we got:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:Umeko/Shudo_novelization_tidbits

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/takeshishudosblogs.htm

Hilariously, he says Misty had probably the weakest justification of following Ash out of all of his traveling companions; they only put her there to appeal to girls because a sausage fest with just Ash & Brock wouldn't have drawn in many girls.

• Thumbs Up 2

Reading those journal entries is slightly depressing seeing how much they held back the show for marketability purposes.

Parts of it claim that there was no romantic intent from Misty and Ash despite teasing it repeatedly throughout the original series, and that it was only intended as a reason to justify Misty's existence in the show to cater to girls.. Woooow.

And how the series was supposed to have its original run within a year and a half until they realized they needed to do it over from the bottom to keep being relevant to the kiddies.

Jesus. What a mess.

Yeah I wish this show got proper justice. I loved so much about it, but I'll never be happy with how Ash just kinda had his gym badges handed to him, never caught more than 10 or 12 Pokemon, never evolved any besides like two or three of them (as an excuse to keep the cuter first forms around), gave away about half of his Pokemon, and never even realized he wasn't good enough to compete acting like that until the end of the flipping first season. Not even to mention how Gary (the main flipping rival) appears like three times total in the series and barely sticks around for longer than two minutes of screentime each.

It's just such a huge waste of potential to have all of this good stuff at your disposal and not care to tell a great story, wrap up things with the established characters, and then start new. Digimon did it and they turned out more than fine, so why couldn't they just give the series to Ethan or whatever Gold was in season three? I mean if they really had to, they could've made an excuse to make Pikachu and Team Rocket still be in it, I wouldn't have cared that much.

Ugh. Once again, what a mess.

Edited by Azoo

Well, if notice; Digimon has sort of faded into obscurity despite the better writing while Pokemon hasn't.

Its just the misguided belief that children don't care for things like continuity and ongoing plot arcs; its sad because they seem to be right most of the time...

• Thumbs Up 1

But despite that fade, everyone remembers Digimon Adventures 01 and 02 very fondly for what they did, and if Pokemon would've got the same treatment then I have to say it would've been the same kinda reception, if not more so than Digimon (since you know, pokemons mass popularity in general).

But yeah it's a shame. The original series leaves me incredibly conflicted as I love so much about it, but feel so unhappy about how misguided it's tendencies are. And it only gets worse knowing that despite changes in setting and main characters in the past 17 or so years, it's kept those same tendencies.

What you talkin about son, despite its problems, I don't think there's anyone among our generation that doesn't know about the original series, there are arguments to this day wanting Brock and Misty to return. There's no doubt that the original Anime series  is something almost everyone remembers.