Awoo.

Heartwarming Moments in the Sonic the Hedgehog series

Dr. Mechano

The Sonic series has been rife with intense battles, witty dialog, and compelling plots. But there have also been moments that hit the softer side of our emotional response: Those moments that are simply cute, precious, uplifting, or some combination of the above. Simply, they're those simple moments that made you as a viewer go "Aww..." in response.

For me, the absolute top of my list goes to Dr. Eggman at the end of Sonic Adventure 2.

"As a child... I looked up to my grandfather for all the great things he accomplished in his life... He was my hero! And I wanted to be a great scientist like him. But... Did he really mean to destroy us?"

As simple a scene as this was, it was the first time we saw Eggman express any sort of emotion to the heroes beyond "MWA HA HA! I'LL GET YOU THIS TIME!", and it was really interesting to see Dr. Eggman actually open up to someone emotionally, and to one of his arch-enemies at that.

Everything from the music to the uncertain tone of Eggman's voice set the perfect mood for this moment; One really gets the impression that Eggman is having to reevaluate everything he once thought was certain. The "goodness" of his grandfather, the very foundation upon his own inspiration to go into science... He was clearly shocked by the truth. Sure, Eggman's not such a good guy himself, but the scene certainly indicated that perhaps he respected and admired Gerald's good intentions for the world until this point.

Tails's response seems almost too simple here, perhaps, but Eggman's equally brief "You're right" actually sets the perfect mood to this scene. In the end, it doesn't matter what Gerald did; Eggman, along with the others, just saved the world. And it was time to look forward to the future, not to dwell on his grandfather's past.

Also, the visual image of a young Ivo looking up to and imitating the then-living Professor Gerald is kind of adorable.

Anyway, now it's your turn! Post your favorite heartwarming moments from the games, cartoons, comics, or anything else Sonic-related that you can think of! Share with us, will you?

Edited by Fancypants
  • Thumbs Up 7

I'm going to go with the scene immediately after Chip gets his memories, its so damn cute and aww inducing the way he says how much fun he's had and how he describes its all because of Sonic, the music really helps too, and when he tries to leave to go handle things by himself? Sonic's response? "Do I need a reason to want to help out a friend?" It really just drives the point that even if Sonic wasn't helping Chip to get his memories, he would've stuck by him till the end.

I'd also like to nominate episode 52 of Sonic X, AKA every single Shipper's favorite episode of all time. Amy declares that she'll wait for Sonic until he returns, and after she makes such a big decision, he comes right back and her reactions range from Anger, Sadness, and Joy, Sonic's reaction? Give her a flower, and saying something that obviously made her happy.

For a series that doesn't have a lot of heartwarming moments, they definitely stick out when they do happen.

• Thumbs Up 6

just going to echo back what everyone else said about Chip and the Sonic Generations Ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oe3JjVkBKk

Its simply adorable, it's kinda nice to see how Chip has matured into a gaurdian of the Earth, but Sonic assures him that he will remain by his side no matter what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhF-x5ujfNs

I thought this was cute, especially when Classic tries to air boost. It probably would have been more heartwarming if Generations' story was more meaty.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually for me, I always loved the moments in AOSTH that showed how much Sonic cared about Tails and vice versa. That's why it was a nice treat in Sonic Colors to see Sonic push Tails into the elevator to get him out of harm's way for the final showdown - it so reminded me of that bond that seems like it has been missing for quite some time. (outside of it being touched upon occasionally in the comics)

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually, regarding that, I'll add in the Sonic-Tails dynamic of Colours in general. Say what you will, but in the games prior, it was always "Long time no see!", giving the sense that when they're not saving fellow homies from baddies, they don't truly hang out as bros, ergo never having real chilling out time with one another. Then Colours comes along and they're having a jolly old laugh, poking fun at one another, and generally acting like real friends would (probably). I felt it this time, and despite not showing it nearly as much for obvious reasons, I felt it in Generations as well. Finally, them being best friends wasn't an informed notice anymore - it was legitimate.

• Thumbs Up 8

To elaborate on Crusher's post.

I find it both heartwarming and admirable that despite all of the negative comments, all of the cynical views, all of the terrible games, Sonic is still strong, its like the franchise represents Sonic's entire character that no matter what happens, he'll never slow down and keep moving forward towards tomorrow, its pretty awesome when you think about it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd say Chip's adabat cutscene with the werehog...it was the greatest. Shadow's death and decision to save the planet in SA2 as well....and finally Blaze's "death" in 06 or sacrifice if you will...it was quite sad too, they all had an impact on me :'(

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

Whilst Chip might not exactly be my favourite character (that said I liked him considerably more once I got the HD version and could actually use the Japanese voice option), I'm gonna go with the scene that so many others have said; right after Adabat.

I almost feel dirty saying that. D: For everything Unleashed got wrong plot-wise (although arguably it still fared better plot-wise than Colours and Generations), it did have that one little gem.

You know, I still wish so much that Unleashed had been tweaked a little to replace Chip with Tails and call it a retconned 'meeting' story set between Sonic 1 and 2 somehow. Maybe tone down the 'friend is ancient with godlike powers' thing and obviously make it so he stays at the end. Seriously, replace Chip with Tails in that scene and have regular Sonic. Just imagine how much more impact it would have had.

Sonic pushing Tails into the elevator near the end of Colours was a nice touch, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it 'heartwarming'.

Edited by -Mark-

I've got one from the Sonic X comic, actually.

Because, y'know, I haven't posted this image enough times:

23a.jpg

What started as a scheme to earn money turned into one of Eggman's most heartwarming moments of all time in any continuity.

As the masked sensation El Gran Gordo, Eggman develops a reputation for being an honorable and beloved hero to his public. Opponent Andes the Ginormous has beaten Eggman to a bruised pulp, and the doctor is about to (wisely) tap out, as he realizes he doesn't stand a chance.

But just as he's about to give in, he sees- of all people- Chris, his loyal fan who urges him to press on. Eggman is moved by the boy's tearful cheer, and summons the strength to defeat Andes. Not for himself, not for his image, but for the hopes and dreams of one child fan in the audience. Eggman couldn't let him down, and gives all he's got to knock Andes out. In a moment of amazing strength, the doctor takes out a man twice his size and takes home the gold.

Because El Gran Gordo never surrenders.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that one Mechano. Not being a fan of the El Gran Gordo gig anyway (I've failed Robotnik fans...), there's also Chris being the motivation. Kind of ruins it a bit.

The most heart-warming moment in the Sonic The Hedgehog series for me would have to be the "No Reason" cutscene in Unleashed when Chip gets his memories back and he has a heart to heart with Sonic explaining who he really was, how much fun he had and how he owes Sonic so much then as he flies away thinking this was the last time he would see Sonic out of nowhere, Sonic grabs chip and tells him "Where do you think your off to all by yourself"? Chip then replies to Sonic saying that he felt it was his responsbility to go as his memories were back and as he exaggerates Sonic simply replies back "Do in need a reason to wanna help out a friend?" That cutscene was so deep and intense the first time I saw it, so much emotion filled in one scene and the music playing fitted so well in that moment in Adabat at night smile.png

There have been a lot of heart-warming moments like Shadow's sacrifice to save the world as he falls to his death, Silver and Blaze saying their goodbyes at end of his story in 06 was quite touching and sad. There is another heart-warming moment I'd like to add The un-canon ending in Shadow The Hedgehog Hero ending when Shadow and Vector defeated Black Doom and retrieved the last chaos emerald when Shadow realised how much destruction and chaos he caused then wishing he should have never have been created, I felt sorry for him but I guess that's more sad than heart-warming but still Vector ruined the moment.

The ending for Rush Adventure was quite heart warming too, I liked the music very peaceful and soothing ^_^

Edited by Father C.J
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much agreed with most responses here regarding Unleashed, SatBK and SatSR sweet moments.

One moment I always loved was Sonic and Shahra's pinkie swear in SatSR.

That one pinkie swear pretty much sums up their friendship in this game. When you see Shahra, and how her life as genie sealed up in a ring awaiting a new master everytime, her previous troubled relationship with Erazor and how she feels guilt throughout the whole game for getting Sonic cursed by the Flame Arrow, she really has nothing to be smiling about. (Now that I think about it, she's exactly what Elise should've been like in terms of characterizing her as a tradgeic figure and making her less bland). But when Sonic comes along, he encourages her to not be sad and things will work out in the end despite his curse and will have her smiling by the end of the adventure.

The music that plays when they make the pinkie swear is beautiful, too.

EDIT: The ending of 06' gets a honorable mention.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I feel like I'm regurgitating things I just put up in another thread, but dang-it Rush and Black Knight top my list for this category too.

This scene had so much of an impact on me. For one thing, it was a rare opportunity to see Sonic so utterly magnanimous in victory. Of course, Sonic is always a good sport about things. Often when he beats people he gives them a cheeky grin or a one-liner at worst. However, when Merlina’s plans were foiled, Sonic put his ego on hiatus. There was no Eggman to belittle, or no Shadow to match wits with. Here it was a Hedgehog and his friend. A friend who had betrayed him, stabbed him in the back and beat him to near submission, but a friend none the less.

That’s what made this scene so touching to me. Sonic, after almost reaching his physical and mental limits only moments earlier, was now offering his opponent a symbolic gesture and assuring her that life was in enjoying the here and now. There was no arrogance in his tone and no scowl on his face. He had lived and learned and was imparting his globetrotting knowledge to someone in need of it. After such a heated battle, Sonic still stood above it all, showcasing how much of a good person the Hedgehog was deep down.

The Storybook series gets a lot of love for its story, and every single bit of it is justified.

This scene is more of a culmination of the entire game. After Blaze spent almost all of the previous span of the title pushing him away, and the two eventually threw down in an epic clash on dead line, here two Heroes said their goodbye’s and reluctantly went their separate ways.

It is well known that Sonic has a substantial impact on the people around him, but all too often that relationship is heard and not seen (for example, Colors was the first game in a good while to re-establish bro status between Sonic and Tails). Watching Sonic Rush from start to finish gives you more of an idea how Sonic’s infectious ideals and unmatched nature work their way into the characters next to him. From Cream’s gentle encouragement to seek out Sonic, to said characters rant about taking the world on one’s shoulders alone….. the whole thing just comes together in this one scene.

The handshake that spanned dimensions will always stand out to me as a break through moment for Sonic’s character. Sending Blaze back to her world with one last show of support to his cause displays how highly Sonic values his own way of life and how he tries to change others for the better.

• Thumbs Up 7

From the games:

Sonic Adventure 2's Ending

Obvious reasons really.

Sonic and the Secret Rings' Ending

Like Verte, I love the hankerchiefs scene, it was a really nice bookend. I also tend to love endings where the credits theme comes in before the actual credits start, dunno why.

Sonic 2006's Ending

In particular the scene where they blow out the candle. I know this game has a lot of rubbishness in the plot, but this scene kind of makes me forget everything that came before because it was just done so nicely (aside from maybe Elise's animation - she doesn't quite shout enough in terms of motion to match the vocal performance). I always wish the credits would come in after the candle is blown out, with the final FMV cut-scene playing after that, just to really hit home the "they really undid everything - that is the "end" of the story".

But the big one...

Sonic X - Episode 52

003eggman.jpg085tails.jpg

103rougeknux.jpg131amy.jpg

150sonic.jpg156sonicchris.jpg

EVERYTHING.

Oh god yes, I forgot. I thought this topic was only talking about the games for some reason. But yes, episode 52 of Sonic X so much.

Also episodes 77 and 78, but 52 far moreso.

Sonic X - Episode 52

003eggman.jpg085tails.jpg

103rougeknux.jpg131amy.jpg

150sonic.jpg156sonicchris.jpg

EVERYTHING.

Damn straight.

It was a perfect end to the first/second season (Whatever you want to call it), a lovely finale that gave a sense of closure. How could it be any more perfect? Excellent emotional development, great animation, wonderful music with the songs from OFF COURSE. But if I were to pick one moment in episode 52 that stuck out to me in terms of heartwarming-ness, it has to be the Natsu No Hi scene, no question about it.

Note how the song lyrics are sung from Sonic's POV, Amy's house was clearly his first stop upon entering his world and the fact he gives her a lavender rose. Now what do lavender roses symbolise in the language of flowers? Oh yeah! Gentle feelings of love and/or love at first sight.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that one Mechano. Not being a fan of the El Gran Gordo gig anyway (I've failed Robotnik fans...), there's also Chris being the motivation. Kind of ruins it a bit.

shrug_eggman.gif

Admittedly, these moments are subjective by their very nature and won't appeal to everyone. I myself wasn't particularly moved by the Chip stuff. To each their own!

Of course, since I'm posting here, I have another moment to reminisce on. This time it's from the anime version of Sonic X.

In the final battle against the Metarax, Cosmo manages to pin the enemy leader Dark Oak down, and instructs Tails to fire the Blue Typhoon's lasers, which would destroy both her and their alien enemy. Tails is understandably conflicted about this, but Eggman steps in and encourages him to do what has to be done.

But what makes this so special is that Eggman isn't abrasive or insensitive about it. He doesn't just go "Bah, shoot the girl so we can all survive, you weak little fox!" What he does is empathize with Tails, telling him that he knows his responsibility is difficult and even heartrending, but that Cosmo- and for that matter everyone else will die anyway if he doesn't take the shot. He encourages him to make a very difficult decision, by letting him know he'd be doing what Cosmo wanted in the end.

Regardless of how you feel about Cosmo as a character (Both she and Chris bored me), I love this scene because of how genuinely understanding and supportive Eggman is. It's a small moment, perhaps, but one that made me smile nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 6

Damn straight.

It was a perfect end to the first/second season (Whatever you want to call it), a lovely finale that gave a sense of closure. How could it be any more perfect? Excellent emotional development, great animation, wonderful music with the songs from OFF COURSE. But if I were to pick one moment in episode 52 that stuck out to me in terms of heartwarming-ness, it has to be the Natsu No Hi scene, no question about it.

Note how the song lyrics are sung from Sonic's POV, Amy's house was clearly his first stop upon entering his world and the fact he gives her a lavender rose. Now what do lavender roses symbolise in the language of flowers? Oh yeah! Gentle feelings of love and/or love at first sight.

Inb4 shipers scream that SonAmy was confirmed canon in Sonic X.

But anyway, I'm going to have to echo what people have said and go with SatBK, SatSR, Gamma's ending in SA1, and SA2's ending. My favourite has to be SatBk's ending though, as it shows us Sonic's core values in action, something we don't often see.

^I notice most of your moments are Eggman related...HMMMMMM.

Well, it IS Dr. Mechao we are talking about here, the Eggfan Extraordinaire!

• Thumbs Up 2

^I notice most of your moments are Eggman related...HMMMMMM.

Challenge ACCEPTED.

Let's see, a non-Eggman moment...

Of all games, that trainwreck Shadow the Hedgehog had this little gem: Seeing Professor Gerald as a good person, prior to going mad with vengeance, was kind of a tearjerker. After seeing his utter hatred for humanity in SA2, ShTH reminds us that- at one time- Gerald was a loving grandfather to Maria, and even a supportive father-figure to Shadow himself. It makes his later descent into madness all the more tragic, but it was quite interesting seeing this side of the character, if only briefly.

• Thumbs Up 6