Awoo.

General Comics/Cartoons thread

Jacky

So i'm personally offended that all the weeaboos (including me) get to have fun with their japanese moeblob crap etc in the Animu/Mango topic, and their's no general discussion for AMERICA FUCK YEAH comic books, and some cartoons while we're at it. Let's fix that.

So anyways, I finished reading Batman: Year One, and i loved it. The way Miller handled the split narrative between Bruce and Gordon was neat, although seeing Gordon's side of the plot made me think it would be neat if the entire story was from Commissioner Gordon's perspective, with Bats being much of a mystery to us reading. can't help think the Catwoman subplot seems a bit shoehorned in, doesn't really go anywhere. But yeah, nice to be reminded Frank Miller was actually and sane and decent writer at one point.

Think i'll pick some other Batbooks up, Hush and No Man's Land are on my list, need to get into some more GL books, Deadpool as well. I also wanted to check out Hellboy comics, because i always enjoyed the movies and intended to read em.

But yeah, discuss Comic books and crap, go ahead and engage in cartoon talk as well, such as Regular Show, Thundercats, any of the DC animated series/movies etc. Go ahead and discuss any upcoming comic book/superhero movies here if you'd like (Avengers, TDKR, and ASM <3 can't wait.)

Edited by Professor Jackstraw PhD
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been waiting for a topic like this for a long time. :P

Now anywho I love both comics and cartoons. But sadly all my favorite cartoons are done airing. D:

Comic wise, I did recently finished up the Sandman and it became one of my favorite comic series ever by far. It had an engaging story and wonderful characters I do want to read it all again. I do find the ending too bitter than sweet though. D:

I've also been trying to get back into Journey to the Mystery (Aka The Mighty Thor's earlier issues) and all I remember Odin keeps having this strange love-hate relationship with Thor and Thor isn't as strong as he used to be. But anywho I do enjoy it. I just need to keep up with it. :P

Also I've been looking for issues of Hellboy and Ghost Rider but I'm not having too much luck. D:

Cartoon wise

I do admit I love the Beetlejuice cartoon, it was a surprising good spin off to a great movie. I wish it had more episodes.

I also do admit liking some of Hanna-Barbera's cartoons but namely Top Cat and Dastardly and Muttley. Those were pretty fun. :P

Let's see, I finished up watching Extreme Ghostbusters and I had fun with that. But now I'm rambling on now so I'll stop and post. :P

I'm in the middle of reading The Life of Times of Scrooge McDuck. Fantastic story of a self made man.

Cartoon wise I've been on a bit of a Looney Tunes binge lately. Not much to say about those though that hasn't been said a million times over the years though. They're just plain awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in the middle of reading The Life of Times of Scrooge McDuck. Fantastic story of a self made man.

Cartoon wise I've been on a bit of a Looney Tunes binge lately. Not much to say about those though that hasn't been said a million times over the years though. They're just plain awesome.

I love the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It is one amazing and detailed comic!

I have been rewatching Animaniacs lately. Gotta love the crazy trio of the Warner Brothers and their sister DOt. Truly a superb variety show. The humor is clever and well thought out and the animation is wonderful for the majority of the show!

I love the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It is one amazing and detailed comic!

I have been rewatching Animaniacs lately. Gotta love the crazy trio of the Warner Brothers and their sister DOt. Truly a superb variety show. The humor is clever and well thought out and the animation is wonderful for the majority of the show!

Edited by LunarEdge

I don't read many mainstream Western comics, like superhero comics. I prefer to read independent comics I guess? Like Wet Moon, Friends With Boys, Chew, Girly, I Kill Giants...

Cartoons and Comics pretty much sum up my whole life.

When I was a little child, I remember spending watching cartoons all the time when I was allowed to watch TV. I started with Winnie Pooh and the Gummybears and the Classic Disney movies and kept going with Ducktales, Gooftroop and the Rescue Rangers (and the classic disney movies as well) when I was a little older. Every friday was a cartoon day on the channel for children, showing disney movies and the old Mickey, Donald and Goofy Cartoons on prime time. I remember that this date was really important to me (there's even a video tape of me when I was 6 years old on which I yell at my parents because the movie was about to start^^). Also, every summer, another channel showed the Asterix movies, one every saturday. I watched those year for year until I was 14 I think.

When I was able to read properly, I wasn't as much into the movies as before, but started to read the comics with the characters I grew up with and also made new discoveries. I own all the Asterix comics that released until today, and I own a huge amount of Disneycomics. There's a series of disney comic pocket books with 250 pages each, called "Lustiges Taschenbuch" (which translates into "Funny pocket book") which brought me to comics, because they had some figurines with them due to an anniversary and I wanted to own them, so I started buying them and still continued reading them after there were no figurines included anymore. I own like 300 of them now, and I still keep getting them (subscribed^^). When the Garfiled Live Action movie was released, I started reading those. Lately, I started to get more into comics from France as well, because a german publisher started to release the Smurf Comics again, so I started to read those, as well as Spirou & Fantasio, which is an amazing series and I'm pretty sad I discovered it that late. Im only into funny comics though, I just can't get into superhero comics (well, besides Paperinik/Duck Avenger) or other, serious comics.

Bottom line, I just love comics.

Oh, forgot to mention: Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is just amazing. I love it so much.

And a question to you all: Do you have a favourite comic artist? I really like Don Rosa, Massimo Fecchi, Al Taliaferro (all disney artists) and Tome & Janry (Spirou et Fantasio)

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been obsessed with reading the Darkwing Duck comics. I love those and am truly upset they ended. They were really intriguing and funny.

Some of my favorite comic book artists are: Carl Barks, Don Rosa, and James Silvani.

I've been obsessed with reading the Darkwing Duck comics. I love those and am truly upset they ended. They were really intriguing and funny.

Some of my favorite comic book artists are: Carl Barks, Don Rosa, and James Silvani.

You mean "The Duck Knight Returns?"

If so I've been looking for those for a long time now. I don't know where to look. ._.;

You mean "The Duck Knight Returns?"

If so I've been looking for those for a long time now. I don't know where to look. ._.;

The very same.

I purchased mine at a local comic book store. But you can buy them on Amazon as well. Some books stores may carry them, but not many.

I don't really read western comics. They all tend to look the same to me.

Although I have recently began reading a comic staring this guy.

178pxdeadpool.png

However, when it comes to cartoons...there's several that I have enjoyed over the years. Although the quality seems to have diminished these days, in my opinion. Cartoons I've enjoyed over the years, include:

• Flintstones (original)
  • Wacky Races
  • Tom & Jerry (original)
  • Looney Tunes (original) - My personal fav is Foghorn Leghorn
  • Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch
  • Hong Kong Phooey
  • Dastardly & Muttley in There Flying Machines
  • Darkwing Duck
  • Inspector Gadget
  • Garfield & Friends
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Power Puff Girls
  • Ed, Edd n Eddy
  • Courage The Cowardly Dog
  • Johnny Bravo (1st series)
  • Aladdin (the series)
  • Teen Titans
  • Batman (original animated series)
  • Kim Possible
  • The Mask (animated series)
  • Ace Ventura (animated series)
  • Sharky & George
  • DangerMouse (not American)
  • Count Duckula (not American)
  • The Real Ghostbusters (original animated series)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles (original animated series)
  • Robot Boy
  • Gummi Bears
  • Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
  • BananaMan (not American)
  • Ducktales
  • He-Man
  • The Smurfs
  • ThunderCats
  • Transformers (original)
  • The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks
  • Heathcliff
  • The Twisted Tales of Felix The Cat
  • The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
  • Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog
  • TaleSpin
  • Goof Troop
  • Earthworm Jim
  • The Kids From Room 401
  • Jackie Chan Adventures

That's all I can think of for now...there might be more...

I don't really read western comics. They all tend to look the same to me.

I guess it's the same as how manga all looks the same to someone who doesn't really read it? Plus remember that the mainstream ones (DC, Marvel etc) have a house style whereas if you venture further from those you get a lot of different styles. Just google Wet Moon, Chew, Friends with Boys, Bones, Blankets, Ghost World, Scott Pilgrim, Calvin and Hobbes and you've got a big variety there, they are bigger volumes rather than weekly comics and generally written and drawn by one person rather than a team too. But yeah, my point is that styles vary a lot but if you stick the what is the mainstream you can miss out on a lot of that variety.

Edited by Mollfie
  • Thumbs Up 1