Awoo.

Breaking Bad

SuperStingray

breaking-bad-season-2.jpg

A middle-aged loving father and husband, high school chemistry teacher and part time car wash cashier, Walter White is the last man you'd ever expect to descend into a life of crime. But upon being diagnosed with lung cancer, Walter realizes he only has a short time to make enough money to ensure his family's welfare after he passes away and opts to make it the fastest way a chemist can: starting a meth lab.

Breaking Bad follows Walter's descent into crime and ascent in power, effectively transforming him from an upstanding citizen into a cold-blooded killer. The show revolves around intense moral dilemmas and suspenseful conflicts; make no mistake, the show is dark. There is a high body count, including children and innocents. But none of it is gratuitous- all of it is to ask: what vindicates what? How Machiavellian is too Machiavellian? Only two episodes in, Walter is faced with the choice of either executing or freeing a drug dealer he imprisoned who may or may not attempt to kill him upon release. Upon conversing with him, Walter finds he's a decent human being under his illegitimate career path and aggressive attitude, but then finds evidence that the dealer intends to kill him and is forced to execute him, and it was one of the most emotionally stirring scenes on television, and it definately wasn't the last the series had to offer. The show only gets more intense as time goes on as Walter gets involved in a drug cartel and starts laundering his money.

If you haven't seen it yet, you can catch up through season 3 on Netflix as of this post. It's a brilliant show- flawless even. And I don't use that word lightly. All the acting is powerful, tangable and effective, the chain of events remains believable as outlandish as events become and there's just never a dull moment. But what really sets this show apart for me is that there are no heroes or villains- just people slowly destroying themselves and the world around them as they struggle for their own ends; a modern Greek tragedy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Breaking Bad is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. This is coming from someone who is barely into this type of show.

It's my favourite show on television, and there's something to be said about how even the show's quiter, more sombre/arguably less exciting parts usually build to an awesome, exciting climax. season 2 spoiler

apart from the end of season 2 of course, with that ridiculous fake out

The end of Season 4 has me wondering where they'll take it next! it could go anywhere

The end of Season 4 has me wondering where they'll take it next! it could go anywhere

Me neither. I just watched the finale and to be honest, it could very well have worked as the series finale had it been given another hour to add closure. But we still have another season to go, and considering that each season only gets better on this show, I have no doubts that it will kick ass.

Also, alternate ending idea for season 4:

Gus survives and becomes Two-Face.

My favorite show currently on television as well. The acting by both Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul is superb, its just as close to perfect as something can be in my opinion. Looking forward to the final season.

Probably the best show on television at the moment, definitely up there with The Wire.

Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that season 5 will be a showdown between Walt and Hank. It's going to be fucking immense nonetheless.

Edited by pooshoes

I've been watching this show since season 2's premiere and I caught a marathon run of season 1 beforehand (save for the pilot episode, the only one I haven't seen at this point for some reason). It's pretty fucking good.

Hank's my favorite character, by far. As of recently I've been rooting for him far more than I have for Walt.

I caught the first episode when it originally aired, but never watched it faithfully after that. I don't know what was wrong with me, this show is too amazing to ignore like that.

I received all the DVD sets (as of now) for Christmas, so I'm finally starting to get caught up. I finished all of season 1 in a day, it's really hard to stop watching. lol

Favorite moment so far had to be what was described in OP's post. The way Walt and Krazy-8 were bonding (and the way Krazy-8 himself started to seem more human), only for it to end with Walt being betrayed and forced to kill a fellow man, was real tear-inducing stuff.

If it only gets better like people say, then there's no doubt that this is going to be a real classic show.

Judging from what we've seen so far, I think that season 5 will be a showdown between Walt and Hank. It's going to be fucking immense nonetheless.

I imagine the focus will be on conflict between Jesse and Walt.

Based on the last shot in season 4, it's deeply implied Walt poisoned Brock and I sincerely doubt Jesse will let that slide.

I can't say which, but I can all but guarantee the series will end with one killing the other.

Bryan Cranston plays Walter?

Man, I never thought Malcolm's dad would sink to a life of crime.

I've not seen this show yet, but now intend to check it out. The most I know is from the CH parody with Bill Nye the Science Guy in place of Walter.

I'ma go Netflix

• 8 months later...

I've been hearing good things about this show but never got a chance to watch it, now I'm tempted to hog my brother's telly.

Dat Sonic '06 cameo clip.

• 11 months later...

I think it's time to revive the thread. AMC just aired the first new episode for season 5 last night and I hope some of you guys saw it, because hot damn that was some intense stuff!

My friends have been telling me to watch this for over a year now. Since I have some free time, I can finally marathon the hell out of this show and see what all the fuss is about!

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please do! Breaking Bad is an incredible series and each episode will literally have you on the edge of your seat wanting more.

Fair warning though, it can get really morbid and somewhat grotesque, so if you're really squeamish you might get grossed out within the first few episodes. Also, you might find yourself getting extremely angry with the characters ahaha...

But yes, it's always good to have more people getting into Breaking Bad, this thread needs some life!

• Thumbs Up 2

Argh!! Netflix only has up to season four, and I just finished it. I need to watch the first half of season five... I gotta find a way to watch those episodes! D:

So yeah the first part of Season Five has been up on Netflix for a couple of weeks guys.

Mollfie and I started watching this recently and I'm pretty enjoying it.  There are some facets I don't like of it, like... I take no pleasure in shows with horrible people in them.  It's why I can't fully invest in Game of Thrones either.  Like, scenes with genuinely scary people actually freak me out a bit (like the final scene of Season 1 with Tuco), I'm not good at dealing with that.  BUT overall the show (so far anyway lol) has enough comedic stuff/comparatively "nice" stuff to keep me interested.  And goddamn the writing is so good.  That twist in Season 1

With the guy in the basement and the broken plate... argh I adore when shows make something really important out of something I had almost shrugged off and forgotten about like that.

P.S. I'm sorry Poopy I know you told me to watch this show ages back and you were totally right it's great.

Edited by JezMM

The series isn't supposed to be pleasant since it's literally just "dying man wants to make mad cash the only way he can", and with a premise like that you can expect there will be a lot of terrifying scenarios and heart-racing situations. The scary characters kind of reflects just how serious and dangerous drug businesses can really be, and Tuco is merely an introduction. As you delve further into the series, you'll experience more frightening figures and crazy-ass twists.

Season 4's final episode is a great example of an amazing twist and it's just so damn empowering and victorious, it's awesome.

Also, The little snippets of humour sprinkled all throughout the show are also really great and it's amazing how it actually helps rather than hurts.

Edited by Ktullanyx

Yeah I totally understand the scary stuff's worth in the show, (I am just a wuss and like to pretend people like this don't exist IRL lol).  But yeah I've invested enough now to deal with it for the sake of a really great story.

I have to say in regards to the new episode I'm surprised how fast they're pacing it. There's seven more episodes and it's already kicked off the main confrontation that the cliffhanger of the last episode implied we were getting, and the one that the series has been building up to for four seasons. In any other show, after the kind of reveal we had in the last episode, this kind of buildup/confrontation would have taken seven episodes and this show just isn't relenting.

Walt's going to break out the Heisenberg. Shit is going to go down.

• Thumbs Up 3

After episode 8 of season 5, you could expect that the next episode would have that whole "moment of truth" theme. I just wanna know how this stuff will continue to pan out.

There's only seven episodes left and with nothing left to hide, this shit is gonna go down and that's the only direction it can go. THIS GON' BE GOOD.

Edited by Ktullanyx
  • Thumbs Up 1