Awoo.

Sonic 4 - Episode II - Music Thread

Soniman

Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow.

Now that we got that joke out of the way, welcome to the Episode II music thread!

So apparently, the folks over at Retro decided to show Jun how to compose music that isn't grating, which means we may get some decent tunes once the game is out.

What music do you want to expect from Episode II in terms of quality?

So apparently, the folks over at Retro decided to show Jun how to compose music that isn't grating, which means we may get some decent tunes once the game is out.

I'm off to finally find the source for this, because no doubt people are going to ask for it. In the mean time, enjoy this:

EDIT: Fuck it, I can't find the source. Anyone else fancy trawling through all of Retro's news post from the past 2 years?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

After Jun's work in generations i expect A LOT better. Quality better be better than it was in E1. If cash cash also help I will be thrilled! I mean they can make music! I mean it seems they want to put more effort into this game as a whole. So music wise I think they learned their mistake and will try better now. I mean cash cash and jun made this beautiful baby! I don't see how they cold go back to bad music.

Edited by The Amazing Spiderman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually didn't mind the music in Sonic 4, although..I must be honest in the fact that it wasn't exactly memorable. Well that is, except for the music in Mad Gear Zone Act 2

I thought this one was incredibly awesome. But other than that, I've got to admit that not many of them can be thought of from the top of my head like I can think of songs from other games. I'm hoping the music will be a bit better this time around and that SEGA just does what they can to make sure it all sounds good, not that it just sounds like it was from the Genesis days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow Meow.

Now that we got that joke out of the way, welcome to the Episode II music thread!

What music do you want to expect from Episode II in terms of quality?

Something along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksNhHyEhE0, or some

In other words, a healthy mixture of the old and new, but not to the point of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTqEF62yJF4, where most of it sounds like they somehow managed to try too hard.. and yet not hard enough at the same time.

Also, I'd very much like for each Act to, instead of have an

be a legitimate remix of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfcClWO5Ks.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Real instruments (or at least what sounds like real instruments)

Honestly, the compositions in E1 aren't that bad in themselves; some are actually really catchy. The problem is that they were made to sound like crap in the game.

This, for example

sounds a shitton better than this

• Thumbs Up 3

I say they give up attempting to sound retro and just try to sound good.

This is my perspective on the entire game at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is my perspective on the entire game at this point.

Completely agreed.

I kinda wish SEGA would stop living in the past and trying to go back to what was good and build off of what people like now and start moving forward a bit more, but..that's for another thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean seriously, Look at what they were able to make in generations. Music like Crisis city and Rooftop run classic were AMAZING! Some songs didn't even sound classic yet fit perfectly for him. THAT is what i want to hear in episode 2. Yes you can try to make it sound somewhat classic like you did in generations. But i don't want it were you try so hard to make it sound "classic" that it sounds obnoxious. You an have some moments but i mainly want new fresh ideas. Actual instruments, Fresh ideas. It doesn't even have to sound "classic."Just good.

I'm off to finally find the source for this, because no doubt people are going to ask for it. In the mean time, enjoy this:

I thought it was originally from one of Brainscratch Commentaries's Sonic 4 Ep. 1 videos. One of the members named the synth "Dead Cat Synth". Not sure which video though, and I'm too lazy to look...

I never did get the dying cats meme...

I did get however why so many people are indifferent towards the music. Like Nathan said earlier, they need to do what most other retro style gmes are doing, do modern style music with modern instruments, kinda like Dustforce or NSMBwii, and not make stuff like this,

Edited by Naked Dog

I thought it was originally from one of Brainscratch Commentaries's Sonic 4 Ep. 1 videos. One of the members named the synth "Dead Cat Synth". Not sure which video though, and I'm too lazy to look...

I don't watch them, and it was in one of the Retro news posts that they talked about providing SEGA with a decent soundfont (or something to similar effect) for E2.

After Jun's work in generations i expect A LOT better. Quality better be better than it was in E1. If cash cash also help I will be thrilled! I mean they can make music! I mean it seems they want to put more effort into this game as a whole. So music wise I think they learned their mistake and will try better now. I mean cash cash and jun made this beautiful baby! I don't see how they cold go back to bad music.

Music like this set the bar high. So Jun better not slip up with this one

The thing I want more than anything from the music of Episode 2 is longer tracks. Some songs loop after less than 20 seconds and it gets really grating.

I do think they should try to sound Genesisy. Not in the "let's use synth for everything and have 16-bit percussion" sense, but I like how the songs had long, drawn out notes like in the actual classic Sonic games. Music was always really slow compared to the action but always managed to fit.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm hoping for strong, melody-based songs with real instruments.

Honestly I don't mind if they take the "seperate melody for each act" route again. 1 because OCD, keeps it consistant with episode one, and 2 because, if they design it anything like episode 1, I'm hoping for more act-specific gimmicks to make every single stage unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping for strong, melody-based songs with real instruments.

Honestly I don't mind if they take the "seperate melody for each act" route again. 1 because OCD, keeps it consistant with episode one, and 2 because, if they design it anything like episode 1, I'm hoping for more act-specific gimmicks to make every single stage unique.

Meh, I get fatigued of the Mega Drive sound lately but then I grew up with 8-bit consoles so I don't really have any attachment to them.

I can't be the only one here that thought the special stage music from Sonic 4 Episode I was pretty snazzy, can I? I understand the hate for the other tracks, but I thought this one sounded great.

Just thinking about the Sonic 2 Special Stage remix is making me so jumpy inside.

• Thumbs Up 1

Edited by Solly

I can't be the only one here that thought the special stage music from Sonic 4 Episode I was pretty snazzy, can I? I understand the hate for the other tracks, but I thought this one sounded great.

Just thinking about the Sonic 2 Special Stage remix is making me so jumpy inside.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA better use the Ultimate GENESIS Soundfont for this game. There's no excuse not to. You don't need to make the music on a Yamaha or whatever, Jun. JUST DOWNLOAD FL STUDIO AND MAKE THE MUSIC FROM THERE.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only didn't really like Splash Hill's music (Act 3 is pretty cool, though). And I really didn't like Eggman's phase two music.

And I absolutely love this:

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apart from Eggman's theme during boss time which is really lacking and i don't like at all those circus sounds i found the music of Sonic 4 really good.

Mad Gear's music was epic.

Edited by frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 2