Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

So I've been playing Apollo Justice, and just recently finished the third episode, Turnabout Serenade.  And there is an elephant in the room which nobody ever mentions...

Hidden Content

Well, onto the fourth case.  I'm looking forward to learning the complete story of why this game is so unpopular.

The part that pissed me off most is that the entire premise for accusing him of the murder was that he was the only one who could have fit through the air duct, which is the only way the murderer could have escaped... but like... there was a door right there, in plain sight that he could have used as well.  Like, a door.  Literally right there.  He wouldn't have had to use the vent.  There's a door.

And yeah, 4-3 is terrible.  And I don't understand how they can make a concept as awesome as a prosecutor that is literally a rock 'n roll star seem so terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

4-3 is the worst case in the series. It's worse than Turnabout Big Top. All possible solutions the characters could have drawn from the events given to them are never addressed, like seriously the case could have been solved within the first five minutes just by observing the fucking crime scene and considering who could have realistically done it. But nah it was totally the little piece of shit blind kid whose height does not match the bullet's angle of trajectory nor suffers from any shoulder injury from use of the fucking heavy-knockback pistol. Not fucking joking around, this game broke me mentally

2-3 isn't nearly as bad (it's still shit don't get me wrong) because even if the characters are absolutely fucking insufferable, and even if their motives make ABSOLUTELY NO GOD DAMNED SENSE, at LEAST the means of drawing to the case's conclusion still abide by human-established rules of logic. 4-3 has both terrible characters, and non-existent logic. It makes me vomit eternally

• Thumbs Up 3

I've since finished Apollo Justice, and... hmm.  I have a pretty high tolerance for Ace Attorney, and I wouldn't say it was an abysmal game the way some people have - but then again, for me it wasn't the first new installment in years and with no promise of a sequel which I've already played.  Perceive rocked and wasn't used enough, though, and for that matter, some of the forensic science wasn't really used enough either.  But that last case was a particular mess, and I'd have to agree with the opinions that it prevents the game called Apollo Justice from really being about Apollo Justice.  The last case just feels like Phoenix Wright by proxy with his glamorous assistant Apollo.

I'm not going to do a full breakdown of it, though one thing that struck me was that the structure resembled Trials And Tribulations, with a "flashback" trial leading up to the finale, though this time it was embedded in the final episode rather than separated; mighit've been worth specifically numbering it Episode 0, though.  The MASON System was really, really weird, and while I liked it, it... was a bit Virtue's Last Reward, really, and I'm not at all sure it made any sense in-universe.  I'd heard a lot about this Jurist system and expected it to actually be a big deal and a gameplay mechanic, but no, it was all narrative and you only get the tiniest glimpse of it - it looks like Great Ace Attorney is actually taking the idea seriously, though, which should be interesting.  Kristoph's motive was frankly weak - he lost a game of poker, so he set up this elaborate forgery-framing-murder plot against Phoenix?  I'd assumed it had been part of some grand conspiracy to manipulate the legal system, but no.  (The character seems like a missed opportunity, and I'd kind of like to see more of him in a game set eariler.  Miles Edgeworth 3?  Yeah, we're never seeing him again.)  And the final showdown with him in court is really easy, and also really low-stakes as he's already in prison for murder.  And then Lamiroir finds out that she's Apollo and Trucy's mother, and decides not to tell them about this because...?

Maybe Ace Attorney 6 will revisit some of the plot points related to Apollo's background, anyway, since Dual Destinies already gave him a bit more characterisation in that direction, and apparently they were thinking of a case about his father for that game.  But this was all a long time ago now, and I think the wounds have mostly been healed.  So: Let's talk about The Great Ace Attorney.  Remember this quote from the previous page?

And I looked at that suggestion that maybe they should hold off on localisations until more games were available, and was a bit dubious.  Well... I've since learnt a bit more about exactly how badly this "sequel hook" business is handled, and I myself have been forced to change tack.  It sounds like they might genuinely be better off waiting until there's at least a second game, and then literally bundling them together like the Ace Attorney Trilogy.  It seems they really overreached themselves and there's a lot left unresolved; apparently there's a director commentary in the DLC that admits they had to cut a third of the script, so.  This also harms the pacing of the game considerably, from what I'm reading.

Under the spoiler there are some very broad comments I've quoted from orenronen on the Something Awful forums (the guy who did the insanely popular Danganronpa fan translation LPs) which outline, naming no names and in not much detail so as to avoid spoiling much, what we have to look forward to:

"But here's the biggest problem with the game: it's not complete. Or rather, it leaves half the story for a sequel. This is the first time an AA game ends with a cliffhanger of sorts. My original pacing comment was because I couldn't figure out how they were going to tie up all the loose ends when I was already well into the final chapter. Turns out they simply didn't. The game leaves an astounding number of major plotlines unresolved. Two big ones are specifically given "we'll answer this in the sequel!" dialogue in the epilogue, and there's lots more. The one that mystifies me the most is one very short scene mid-game that features two fully modeled and animated characters. One of them has a tangible connection to the case at hand, but nothing major they talk about nothing in particular for about a minute (in a very ominous tone) and are then never seen or mentioned again for the rest of the game. I'm stumped."

Absolutely bizarre way to handle a risky new arm for the franchise.  My vote goes to them wrapping everything up in a second game and releasing them in a single package in the west.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

What makes this particularly cumbersome to me is the fact that after you finish collecting all the evidence in the Phoenix's time machine thingy, it goes back to Apollo, as if to imply that that he's looked over all the evidence that you've just uncovered.  Therefore, not only does Lamiroir's not telling Trucy and Apollo of their true relation seem a little off, but the fact that that the game sets you up to believe that he knows because presumably read about it in the dossier.  But he just doesn't, I gues.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, just keep in mind that these are the people who tried to say that it is impossible for

Vasquez

to be the person behind the mystery because

the path was blocked

but there is a clearly visible path right beside it that let's you simply walk around it. 

Hmm, well, considering how the first Ace Attorney DS game pulled a "Final Fantasy VII International edition" ala extending the game with more story that helped bridge a gap between Turnabout Goodbyes and Ace Attorney: Justice For All, I'd certainly be lying if I said that the idea of a more "complete edition" release in the west being one of the theories concerning the possible Dai Gyakuten Saiban localization.

Edited by Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

• 3 weeks later...

Oh thank God!  I'm cautiously optimistic for this one!  I would be super excited if not for AA's pattern of quality that follows something Good -> Bad -> Good -> Bad -> Good.

Gah! I was so busy keeping watch for DGS news that this sailed over my head! !!

Looks like Phoenix's position is safely confirmed,  based on that logo. 

Hmmm, I could certainly see a fitting pattern  here with Yamazaki and Takumi's teams  producing games for each year or two. 

What this says for when the heck DGS' English version will have us with its presence (be it by inevitable fan translation and/or hopefully inevitable official localization ),  is up in the air,  and hopefully hearing this be announced  before said localization doesn't spell bad in that regard. 

That said,  whoop! IT'S great to finally here something beyond that "confirmation" we got back in 2013!

Additionally Kotaku had this to sum up in translations, about the gameplay: Details are scant, but according to Famitsu, the latest numbered entry will feature a new game system that enables quicker gameplay.

Edited by Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

My apologies for being unable to spoiler this stuff as I'm on mobile and those abilities apparently haven't been programed yet for the new SSMB mobile counterpart; but we may have a leak!  i.imgur.com/pD14dPg.jpg  & 

i.imgur.com/Bn6jku5.jpg

In addition to an apparent western release conformation our  compatriots from court record  forums also have provided some info on the leaked scans:

forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31408

My apologies for being unable to spoiler this stuff as I'm on mobile and those abilities apparently haven't been programed yet for the new SSMB mobile counterpart; but we may have a leak!  i.imgur.com/pD14dPg.jpg  & 

i.imgur.com/Bn6jku5.jpg

In addition to an apparent western release conformation our  compatriots from court record  forums also have provided some info on the leaked scans:

forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31408

I'm beginning to get the feeling we're gonna see Maya make a long awaited return.

It proves that even if we don't get the spin-off titles, the core series has a guaranteed future in the west no matter what. Wonderful news!

• Thumbs Up 3

For those who haven't caught it,  here's the news that was gathered from the leaked scans:

According to the Famitsu magazine scan, Ace Attorney 6 takes place in a mysterious country outside of Japan, a first for the main-numbered series. Phoenix Wright visits this country for a certain reason, and he unluckily gets involved in a case. It also mentions that the people in this country have some sort of belief in the spirits of the dead.

The courtrooms in this unnamed country seem to use some sort of “Water Mirror” that is set on the floor, and Ace Attorney 6 will use it as part of its system. The image shows how the upper-screen has images and and keywords on the water, and the lower-screen shows parts of the testimony and a presenting option.

To the right is a character named Bokuto Tsuani, a cheerful priest in training who also works as a tour guide for a living. He loves explaining things about the country as a tour guide, and once he starts talking about it, he has a habit of not being able to stop.

And finally, the scan shows a mysterious character on the bottom part of the page. She’ll show up in front of Phoenix Wright, and it remains unknown whether she’s a friend or foe, but we know that she’s not a prosecutor, witness, nor judge.

Ah yes,  a story where Phoenix travels to a foreign  land  outside of Japan.  How daring..........testing the waters aren't you Capcom? 

Wow they're trying really hard to find ways not to bring back Gumshoe, are they?

Oh god. What's gonna happen to Apollo and Athena? Will they be tagging along with Nick? After AA5 I don't think I can take another game where Phoenix is the sole main character anymore.

Wow they're trying really hard to find ways not to bring back Gumshoe, are they?

Oh god. What's gonna happen to Apollo and Athena? Will they be tagging along with Nick? After AA5 I don't think I can take another game where Phoenix is the sole main character anymore.

I still think we'll be seeing Maya/Pearl in the game. The fact that it's based around the supernatural and that Maya has been gone for years studying it leads me to believe Phoenix will call her in for help

Don't bet on it lmao. Capcom has a habit of never bringing back old characters except for inconsequential, disappointing cameos.

I'd imagine Pearl would appear over Maya, but that's just a hunch, also, I can't wait for a new detective guyyyyyyyyyyys god fucking damn it, bring back Ema

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I want Ema back too. I actually would want her to be the main detective of another game over Gumshoe, however I want Gumshoe back too, perhaps as Chief of Police so he doesn't show up nearly as frequently but still possesses a level of influence on the plot.

Plus it would be fucking hilarious seeing him of all characters as chief. I recall him having a throw-away line saying he wants to be this someday, so imagine if he actually got it and he was still paid less than all of his workers???

After AA5 I don't think I can take another game where Phoenix is the sole main character anymore.

Wouldn't say he was the sole main character in that game.Heck, Apollo and Athena had quite the lion's share of story focus and development, well balanced enough with Phoenix in that game. Unless you're saying that DD set a bar that you're hoping this game can leap over.

Also, am I the only who's seeing the other possibility that the Hazakura temple residents including *ahem* that one-someone-for-Nick, especially considering how her magatama was actually purple like the purple "6" in the title (yes that's actually been quite the buzzing theory amongst fans concerning potential returns of Maya and company), unlike Maya's.

That's my point, I actually enjoyed how the game's perspective was divided among the three attorneys (even if I did spend half the game wondering when the hell I would finally get to play as Nick). I'd be worried if AA6 returned to the style of the trilogy, though a single narrative point wouldn't be an inherent negative either.

I feel like there's more stories to tell revolving around Athena and Apollo that can develop them even further. It's hard to imagine where Phoenix's character could go compared to those two, who are much younger and less experienced in the court.

At the same time, having a single main character also gives the overall story much more focus. It's a trade off and I wouldn't complain too much if it were to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nonononono. No. No thank you.

I really don't want solo Phoenix Wright again, his character arc was done ages ago, and the dynamic of him with Apollo and Athena was way more interesting. I'm gonna be hella disappointed if this happens, and at that point would rather have Great Ace Attorney. : \

Also why the hell has Gumshoe stopped existing suddenly? And Ema too for that matter? Maybe I'm jumping the gun I guess.

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope that character poll after DD's release wasn't all for nothing. Apollo was voted the most popular character in it, and I really hope the results of that poll has influenced AA6. Agreeing with others that I'd rather have DGS than have solo Phoenix again. I really hope Trucy comes back too. They can't just get rid of her. D:

I don't know why people want to see Gumshoe again so badly. I love him as much as the next guy, but his character was being made more and more ridiculous with each game, going from a scatterbrained detective who jumps to conclusions, to a complete, bumbling idiot that can't do anything right and still thinks Santa Claus exists. 

I see potential in solo-Wright, but I don't think it's happening. There's too many unanswered questions with Apollo. Kind of a shame, since I like having a single narrative in games more than hopping from character to character.