Awoo.

Game: Sonic Light and Darkness

Chaos Fusion

logo5x.png

Update:

SAGE Demo has been released.

Intro:

Well, This is my current project that I've been working on: Sonic The Hedgehog - Light and Darkness.

The engine used is the Sonic Revival Unleashed. The direction I'm taking is a Sonic game with mild RPG elements(exploration, Leveling up, Towns,ect ) and making Superform a core mechanic of this game.

Gameplay:

Gameplay is split into 2 modes. Action Stages and overworld maps.

• Action Stages plays like the traditional Sonic game with few other elements to change the formula.
      • Overworld maps are for exploration of dungeons, towns and finding levels. On the Overworld, you can accept side mission/quests that will affect your growth and the outcome of the story.

Superform is a key ability in STHLD as you you can use it at anytime. There is two forms you can change into: Super and Dark.

• Super Sonic: Increase in speed, invincibility, Jump Height increased, EXP Multiplied by 1.5.
            • Darkform: Dramatic increase in speed and jump height, won't collect EXP, can't exit Dark form, Unstable ring consumption, Limited movement control, Invincibility.

Like past Sonic Games, you will need 50 rings to transform but constantly using Super Sonic or being attacked mid transformation will activate Dark Form.

Story Idea:
              The story I'm thinking of is a mix of the plots from previous attempts of this game. Things will change as I'm still writing the story.

The game starts off during an attack on Eggmans base with the disappearance of Eggman afterwards. Eggman is assumed to be dead due to the destruction of the Eggdome.

3 years later Sonic and Tails decide to investigate disappearances that are occurring all over the world (People disappearing every week). What was originally meant to be just a casual investigation led to the discovery of dark forces that threaten to destroy the world(Caused by Eggmans previous scheme) and the partnership with friends new and old along with an old nemesis who was believed to have died 3 years ago to stop the darkness. During the course of the adventure, Sonic gets corrupted by the darkness himself and gains a new form, Dark Supersonic which he struggles to control putting his friends lives at risk.

I plan on adding multiple ending that vary depending on choices you make over the course of the game. Examples: Someone is being attacked in an alleyway, you can choose to ignore it, help the thugs or help the victim. Side quest. or Collecting all the Mystery Plot Device item from Special Stages to assist in getting the true ending

Screenshots:

screenshot131m.th.png screenshot147.th.png screenshot110q.th.png screenshot138q.th.png

Ideas and Planned Features

Note: These are merely ideas I'm throwing around so they may not appear like the Co-op.
              • Advanced Enemies that have intelligence (Higher your strength, easier to destroy them)
                • World Map (Similar to Kingdom Hearts 2 world map)

[*]Special Stages

[*]Unlockable characters to play as (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Cream, Rouge) No Superforms for them

[*]Side Missions and Side Quests ✓

[*]World Map Dungeons

[*]Minigames like the tornado from SA1 (except not repetitive)

Edited by Chaos Fusion

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaos Fusion

• Abominal SnowTaz

• Big Boss (legendsneverdie)

• Diogenes

How much has the engine improved? I played the demo and I found that it was kind of off.

How much has the engine improved? I played the demo and I found that it was kind of off.

The engine is constantly being improved. My progress recently is now 95% complete. I only now have to add more combat moves and the ability to summon party members to assist you along with some final bug fixes.

Also, how so does it feel off? Doesn't feel like a Sonic game? Room resolution too big? Physics are weird?

If I may suggest, and i'm not trying to change anything I love your idea, maybe you could do something along the lines of linear style game play, almost like Castlevania: Symphony of The Night. You could keep the RPG elements and leveling, plus it would feel more like a Sonic game because it's platforming with exploration and advancing to new areas via new techniques, finding certain items, completing secret tasks, etc. But that's just what I think...

I would have chosen that style that you suggested but I'm looking more at the Chrono Trigger style of exploration and Adventure Fields from Sonic Adventure because It allows just as much exploration, more open to which path you take and It allows better town placement. I might use that style for my old engine because I am deciding on what it will be used for.

I have done something similar with a old game I was making before this. Sidescroller that was an Action-RPG with exploration, requires items or techniques that you find or learn to proceed further, like you mentioned. Shame I never finished it.

Also, how so does it feel off? Doesn't feel like a Sonic game? Room resolution too big? Physics are weird?

Option 3. I have no problem with the resolution and the action stage felt pretty Sonic'y.

I would have chosen that style that you suggested but I'm looking more at the Chrono Trigger style of exploration and Adventure Fields from Sonic Adventure because It allows just as much exploration, more open to which path you take and It allows better town placement. I might use that style for my old engine because I am deciding on what it will be used for.

I have done something similar with a old game I was making before this. Sidescroller that was an Action-RPG with exploration, requires items or techniques that you find or learn to proceed further, like you mentioned. Shame I never finished it.

Oh I get what you're saying now. I'll try this out then.

Seems too focused on speed, and I'm not really sure how much sense the Super/Dark forms make as gameplay mechanics.

@Wearied Flames: Unfortunatly, that's just how the Sonic Revival engine works. I am still trying to make it closer and closer to feel like the Mega Drive games but I don't think that I'll be able to change much more.

@Diogenes:It's like valor Form from Kingdom Hearts. Powered up version of Sora but if overused, you activate Anti form. At the moment, the forms are unbalanced for testing purposes but later on, An Additional stat will be required along with the rings to activate superform and ring consumption will be faster.

Superform in this can be used say in boss fights to try and get the upper hand but sacrifice rings, Action stages, allows easier access through certain parts of a level, Chaos Control Teleport to out of reach areas and assist in combat areas.

If you saw the plot section as well, its also a plot device.

Well, thats my boring explanation and some people probably can play without it.

As for level layout being only speed...I'm redoing the first stage to include more platforming with the multiple paths. I don't want it to be only speed.

Edited by Chaos Fusion

• 3 months later...

Well, I posted the video on SFGHQ quite a while ago but still, Video update....yay...I should keep all my game posts up to date

[media=]

Need to find a better screen capturing program that agrees with GameMaker.

Anyway, next demo will hopefully get released before SAGE depending on my work load and how fast I complete all the necessary features that I plan to add.

Edited by Chaos Fusion

• 1 month later...

Mini Preview:

That's right, I'm adding a Chao Garden to my game. The Chao Garden will most likely make an appearance in the SAGE demo with many other new features and additions.

Edited by Chaos Fusion

• 1 month later...

This demo was submitted SAGE 2012 and it's the final engine test that I plan to release before I start releasing proper story demo's.

Some new features include a Saving system, new Sonic abilities, RPG elements ( damage counter and status ailments ), 5 playable levels and better menu's.

Booth Link: http://sagexpo.org/g...t-and-darkness/

YoYo Games Link:v2.1 http://sandbox.yoyog...ht-and-darkness

Mediafire:v2.1 http://www.mediafire...pjmn90r5emcfpd5

People have found some horrible bugs when they played this so if you do come across any bugs, please let me know what you have found.

On a side note, I'm unable to remove the current Topic tag...it wasn't funny to begin with.

Edited by Chaos Fusion