Awoo.

Mugen Souls! It's like Disgaea, if Disgaea had an all female cast and neon lights everywhere.

HunterTSF

OHEY GUISE! I was just reminded that this was a forum that in fact existed. Anywho...

Mugen-Souls_2011_10-14-11_003.jpg

Title: Attōteki Yūgi Mugen Souls

Developer: Compile Heart | Publisher: Compile Heart (JP)

Platform: PlayStation 3 | Release Date: 22 March 2012 (JP), Fall 2012 (NA), Fall 2012 (EU)

...Mugen Souls!

Mugen Souls is a Japanese RPG being jointly developed by Compile Heart and Idea Factory, and so far it looks awesome. It's got lolis. It's got giant flying space armadas. It's got RABBITS EVERYWHERE. It's got freaking neon lights all over the place. And it has SO MANY CHARACTERS that your MIND WILL IMPLODE. Also, guess who's the character designer? Go on! I freaking dare ya! Bzzzt! Too late! It's freakin' Keiji Inafune! They're all better than Mega Man!

Do I know the plot of this game? Nope! I don't speak moonspeak! But something tells me it's really epic, because this music is really intense.

Also, the producer of the game makes a lot of cameo appearances. I'm not sure why.

Oh, and did I mention this game's fanservice would make Hyperdimension Neptunia blush? Nope? Well it does. If they cut it in the localization I gonna be so mad.

Anywho, knowing NISA we'll probably see this overseas by next year or something. Yay.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE GAME HERE OR AT YOUR NEAREST SEARCHING ENGINE.

EDIT: ENGLISH SITE NOW UP BBY

Edited by HunterTSF

Holy crap, the girls really do look like Disgaea characters. The one to the right looks like an Archer or Medic and the right one is Raspberyl.

It's like this game was made for me.

jointly developed by Compile Heart and Idea Factory

On second thought I'll wait for the price cut.

I won't be surprised if NISA gets this. Will I get it? If it goes the way of Hyperdimension Neptunia, and gets a premium set that goes out of print in less than a month, yeah.

The games I get exposed to through this message board...

This game's title makes me imagine a game where you explore extremely dangerous environments as Homer Simpson or Japanese Ronald McDonald.

Compile Heart and Idea Factory

:|

• Thumbs Up 1

Compile Heart and Idea Factory must not have a good track record, do they? I've only played Neptunia from them and thought it was just ok to say the least. :P

Compile Heart and Idea Factory must not have a good track record, do they? I've only played Neptunia from them and thought it was just ok to say the least. tongue.png

Idea Factory and Compile Heart have unique and original ideas but they're pretty notorious for churning out incredibly sub-par JRPGs with tons of stupid and bad design choices. Not even Japan likes their games that much. Of course it doesn't help that they're one of the slightly more low profile developers out there and that one of their mutual rivals, Gust, are pretty much better than them in every way (Ar Tonelico, Atelier Totori etc.), and I'd have preferred it if they made this game instead.

The most jarring thing is that half of their missteps are things that shouldn't even be a problem to avoid since they're just fundamenal mistakes. Hyperdimension Neptunia is filled with so much of that stuff that Idea Factory just screw up with (i.e item managing and character recruiting requirements) but is a rare case of a game that somehow worked despite all of that and outsold it's expected demand, perhaps because NISA took publishing that title seriously and that most of their fanbase is western. Thankfully the sequel looks like it's taking a turn to the better and that they're learning from their mistakes. Or maybe the revenue they got off of the original game is speaking for them.

With all that said I'd still play any Idea Factory or Compile Heart game over, say, Final Fantasy XIII.

Pass.

Don't spam, you alien with weird tastes.

Sorry sir, I'll elaborate - although it's difficult to without sounding like an ass, so I'll just be blunt about it.

It's not universal, I know, but it feels as though every single Japanese media product has to have some kind of young kid(s) in it, either for relatability reasons, plot device, or most frequently less... wholesome aims. I imagine it would bother me a lot less if the latter of those reasons didn't show up as often as it does. I am not exaggarating when I say that this bizarre phenomenon of Japan's puts me off a large number of products that I'd otherwise consider looking into.

In fact you could say that the very things used as marketing tools in Japan make a product unmarketable anywhere else.

EDIT: Also is that really Laharl in a sailor fuku and heels? I know this contradicts everything I just said but that's AAA 5 star material right there.

Edited by Velotix von Skruviktorrius

EDIT: Also is that really Laharl in a sailor fuku and heels? I know this contradicts everything I just said but that's AAA 5 star material right there.

That would be Pleinair, if you're referring to Carbo's signature.

With all that said I'd still play any Idea Factory or Compile Heart game over, say, Final Fantasy XIII.

Agreed.

Edited by Silencer226

• 2 weeks later...

Woo woo! A new trailer is here! Gee golly jeepers, is that a billion hit combo? Intense.

Also, the environments here look totally rad. Some really cool crystalline planetoid in spaaace? What appears to be a snowy modern day Montana infested with evil crustaceous crabs and barbaric birds? Coolbeans! Sure, there's an obligatory fantasy forest town... but, y'know... that's to be expected.

Also, spaceship vs. spaceship combat! And ecchi! What more could you ask for?

Oh, and apparently I lied about the Keiji Inafune thing. This project's actually being produced by Keiji "Shin" Inafune, or "New" Keiji Inafune. Entirely different people. Yeah, makes sense to me too. Also, the real reason why the characters bear such an uncanny resemblance to the Disgaea cast is because Takehito Harada is the head character designer guy! Neat.

Edited by E-10000B

However nice the environments look you need to keep in mind that they're just going to be static backdrops for two pictures to talk to each other. That's how this kind of game works. It's like BlazBlue's story mode with turn based combat.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. At times it feels like I'm the only one genuinely excited for this game. ;-;

Anywho, new trailer is up! Can't wait to see what intensive skill-based captivating and engrossing gameplay is displayed here! Or, perhaps it's a story trailer that will further expand upon the fascinating time and space travel-centred society in which this game takes place? Or perhaps it'll feature some commentary behind the genius mind behind the game, "New" Keiji Inafune? Ooooh, maybe it'll show off some new characters!

Okay, um, when I said show off the characters, I didn't mean that.

so um yeah if this doesn't get localized

Edited by HunterTSF

I thought Neptunia (which the LE to the sequel is now officially sold out and mine has been paid for :P) had alot of loli fanservice but this, this just takes it to a whole new level. I really wouldn't be surprised if NISA licenses this, they get pretty much everything else from Compile Heart, Gust, etc...

Edited by Silencer226

I sure hope so! For whatever reason this game isn't getting nearly as much publicity as Neptunia did during its development. When they do get to localizing this though, my wallet will be ready.

Anywho, I lied! Apparently there is a new character being introduced! (The twenty-first character so far? My god, how many are there?) Meet Dís Vanguard!

DisVanguard1.pngDisVanguard2.png

Woah! That certainly is an interesting-looking character. I love how diverse the designs of the cast are in this game, we've got characters ranging from what look to be peasants from the middle ages to people like these that are fully tricked out with futuristic electronic wear. Wonder what role she'll play, eh? Her bio just went up today... anybody fluent enough in Japanese to translate it?

Edited by HunterTSF

I sure hope so! For whatever reason this game isn't getting nearly as much publicity as Neptunia did during its development. When they do get to localizing this though, my wallet will be ready.

That's because Neptunia was a parody of the gaming industry and piqued peoples interest. This game on the other hand looks like wannabe Disgaea with lolis, and I'm not saying that to be harsh on it.

NEW TRAILER EVERYBODY GO NUTS

If I had the most basic understanding of how just how exactly the fundamental mechanics of an RPG work, I would probably appreciate whatever was being shown off here a bit better. The language barrier doesn't help either. :v But hey, random kid with mittens! Cute fluffy white ball of death! This game is packed up to the brim with excitement and jubilation, I tells ya.

Oh! And apparently you can dress up your characters! It's Neptunia all over again! There better be some hats. Being the TF2 aficionado that I am, I'm gonna need me some hats. Stout Shako for 2 refined.

• 3 weeks later...

You'd think I'd just let this thread set here and die? Well, ha! You'd be wrong! Lookie here, a costume trailer!

Aside from that, other cool stuffs are happening, you see! As of March 3rd, the official Mugen Souls website is holding a poll to see which guest characters you would like to see added into the game as DLC! Now, I don't recognize all the franchises, but fans of the Spectral Force, Hyperdimension Neptunia, and Record of Agarest War series should be happy to know that character candidates from all of those titles are up for voting! Pretty neat, no?

Edited by HunterTDF

I like the style of the character art.

But the rest of it...I dunno man. I am not really feelin' the in game footage all that much. I guess I'll keep an eye out for this one if it ends up getting localized, and if it turns out to be pretty good.

This game's title makes me imagine a game where you explore extremely dangerous environments as Homer Simpson or Japanese Ronald McDonald.

Edited by !

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

Approximately two seconds ago I got a text from NISA confirming that they're localizing this! Eeeee, so excited! Here, go watch the same exact trailer from the OP with an extra logo added into the mix.

Oh, and in other news, in a shocking revelation that no one would have expected, Neptunia characters were completely off the charts in that DLC poll! So much, in fact, that they had to dig down the ranks to find characters that weren't from Neptunia. So, aside from Neptune and Nepgear, Leonhardt from Record of Agarest War and Hiro from Spectral Souls will also be making included in the first crossover pack! Coolbeans.

mugensoulspollresults.png

Also seeing as day one DLC is all the rage these days, say hi to these new characters!

dlc_sp.jpg

That one on the left looks awesome! GENTLEGIRLS. I think she also appears with a fancy curly moustache in some of the screens too! So classy!

Oh, and the game's getting some pretty decent reviews, too! Famitsu gave it a 31/40! That's good enough for me!

Edited by HunterTSF

Oh, hey guise! My sincere apologies for the double post (but surely somebody aside from me must read this topic every now and then), but NIS America's released a press release about this game!

MUGEN SOULS™ RELEASES EXCLUSIVELY ON PS3 THIS FALL IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE!

happypawn.png

AWWW YEAAHHH!

Santa Ana, Calif. (March 29, 2012) – NIS America proudly announced their plan to release Mugen Souls in North America and Europe later this year exclusively for the PlayStation 3. Mugen Souls features a free-roaming battle map, turn-based combat, and massive amounts of customization and growth to maximize the fun fans can have with the game.

Woah-ho-ho! Awesome, awesome, awesome! My body is reggie!

About Mugen Souls There exists a small galaxy in the universe containing seven worlds, shimmering in seven colors... These worlds exist and act independent of one another. This has allowed them to develop and nurture rich, unique cultures. Then one day, a decree was sent out... “I'm gonna make everything in each of these worlds bow to me!” – The Undisputed Goddess, Chou-Chou

Ha-ha! Awesome! So that's the plot! All those other Chou Chous with different personalities must be the rulers of those respective worlds, then! Heh, cool!

Features

•Expansive worlds to explore: Travel freely on each world to explore and find treasures and items. Monsters are roaming about, so be cautious or fight them head-on and make them your subservient peons!

•Free-roaming style battle maps: Use Combo attacks to execute spectacular moves with your allies! Destroy Crystals on the battlefield to activate Hyper mode!

•Moe Kill: Execute the Moe Kill technique to enslave enemies and turn them into items by exploiting their weaknesses!

•Customization: Create a full cast of characters! Customizable body parts, facial expressions, and job classes!

Oh my good heavens that is intense. I love each and every single aspect of this game! There is literaly nothing that could even remotely dampen my excitement!

Notice: Due to the sensitive nature of some content, NIS America has decided to edit certain aspects of this title for its North American and European releases.

shockingrevelationpawn.png

wait what

what are you talking

huh

why what do you

what why why why why no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO!

qwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./

sadpawn.png

ALL OF MY NOES. ALL OF THEM. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM!

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ha ha, no naughty lolita images 4 u! biggrin.png \Sarcasm

Ah censorship and sensitivity, gotta love it...

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)

So I'm guessing some of the content in the original version would be outright illegal in some Western countries? Again.

I wouldn't say illegal. I'd call it controversial. Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 is probably the furthest NISA will go in terms of displaying mature themes, and that game contained everything from implied lesbian romance, tentacle and bondage fetish, yuri scenes and tit jokes.

This isn't the first time NISA have censored some parts of a game. They did it with Disgaea 4's Discipline mechanic. In the Japanese game the device used is a Wooden Horse, with characters deriving enjoyment from it. In the western release though, they changed it to an actual wooden pony toy, even setting aside the fact that games like Bayonetta easily got away with the sexual torture and the moaning.