Awoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man (The Movies)

goku262002

EDIT: As of 07/20/2013, this topic is now added to involve the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th movies.

The_Amazing_Spider-Man_theatrical_poster

The Amazing Spider-Man is a 2012 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man. It is the fourth installment of the Spider-Man film series, serving as a reboot. The film was directed by Marc Webb, written by James Vanderbilt, Alvin Sargent and Steve Kloves, and stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, Martin Sheen and Sally Field. It was distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film tells the story of Peter Parker, a teenager from New York City who becomes Spider-Man after being bitten on the back of his neck by a genetically altered spider. Parker must stop Dr. Curt Connors from spreading a mutation serum on humans.

Development of the film began with the cancellation of Spider-Man 4 in 2010, ending director Sam Raimi's Spider-Man film series that had starred Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and James Franco. Opting to reboot the franchise with the same production team, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced a July 2012 release date for The Amazing Spider-Man. James Vanderbilt was hired to write the script while Alvin Sargent and Steve Kloves helped to fine-tune it. During pre-production, the main characters were cast in 2010. New designs were introduced from the comics such as artificial web-shooters. Using Red Digital Cinema Camera Company's RED Epic camera, principal photography started in December 2010 in Los Angeles before moving to New York City. The film entered post-production in April 2011. 3ality Technica provided 3D image processing, Sony Imageworks handled CGI and James Horner composed the film score.

Sony Entertainment built a promotional website, released three trailers and launched a viral marketing campaign, among other moves. Tie-ins included a video game by Beenox. The film premiered on June 30 in Tokyo and was released in the United States on July 3 in 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D and released in home media in November 2012. Critical reaction was mostly positive, according to review aggregators Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, and the film was also nominated for several awards. The film was also a box office success, becoming the 48th-highest-grossing film of all time and the seventh-highest-grossing film of 2012. The first of at least two projected sequels, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, is scheduled for release in 2014, with director Marc Webb and most of the first film's main cast set to return. Two more sequels have also been planned with a third film set for 2016 and a fourth film set for 2018.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 6

I was a bit reluctant to the idea of having a reboot movie to a series that is only just incredibly recent, but if X-Men First Class proved anything to me, it's that some quick-minute reboots can really work.

Admittedly the fact that the original Spider-Man movies had such an influence on my childhood might play a part in the sinking feeling I got when they announced this, but having this movie be far more true to it's comic counterpart feels like a great step forward, and Andrew Garfield is still one of my favorite actors in business. His role in The Social Network was fantastic and judging from his performance in the trailer he's far more fit than Tobey Maguire to the role of Spider-Man in my eyes, even if I've gotten too used to the Maguire acting the part.

The moves, the action, it seems a lot more intense in this movie and a lot more stylish so mad props for that. One thing I do wish though is that the rights went to the hands of Marvel for this movie, if only because I feel that a movie by them in the same vein and atmosphere as Iron Man would be pretty brill, or also the fact that it'd increase his potential of appearing in a potential Avengers sequel.

Also I can't be the only one who sort of misses the old web sound effect.

Many people feel it's a bit too early for a reboot, but I don't really mind that. In fact, everything I've heard and seen of this movie so far is looking pretty AMAZING OHOHOHOcool, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Opting for a reboot with the same production team rather than another sequel

Same production team, huh? Interesting. I had assumed it would be an entirely new team, so that's news to me. Looking at the new trailer again, that was a really good choice.

Also I can't be the only one who sort of misses the old web sound effect.

Hm, I hadn't noticed it sounds different, but when I went and checked the trailer again, it really does! I feel like I should have noticed that before...

His role in The Social Network was fantastic and judging from his performance in the trailer he's far more fit than Tobey Maguire to the role of Spider-Man in my eyes, even if I've gotten too used to the Maguire acting the part.

I haven't seen him in any movies (maybe I need to get out more :V), but at the very least I can say I'm pretty sure Andrew Garfield is a legit Spidey fan:

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Nah, i do miss the web sfx as well. wait, X-men 1st class was a reboot?! thought it was just a prequel.

Thats another thing i forgot to add, the fight scenes look way more intense in this reboot! usually in the old series it was 5 minutes of actual fighting along with 10 minutes of chasing and 20 minutes of just talking. Garfield is going to make a great spider-man he seems really passonate about the series and that video Chaos7 posted proves it unlike Maguire who was just using the series as a stepping stone.

I really do hope that this reboot does get some interaction with the whole Avengers movie group and not just a seprate marvel film series.

Edited by goku262002

I haven't seen him in any movies (maybe I need to get out more :V), but at the very least I can say I'm pretty sure Andrew Garfield is a legit Spidey fan:

Yeah, I remember seeing that. It's rather interesting how he found himself in a "Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk in The Avengers" situation but I trust he's going to do a fantastic job.

I urge most of anyone who's never seen him perform to watch The Social Network, or if anything at all,

(spoiler alert). It's possibly one of the most powerful scenes to have come out of any recent movie and just shows how well he can act.

Nah, i do miss the web sfx as well. wait, X-men 1st class was a reboot?! thought it was just a prequel.

It's a bit of both, I believe, and was at first billed as a reboot. Kind of like that new DmC game, but yeah it's more of a prequel nowadays I think.

I really do hope that this reboot does get some interaction with the whole Avengers movie group and not just a seprate marvel film series.

Unfortunately as long as Sony owns the film licenses to Spider-Man that's nothing but a pipe dream.

I've already said it before and I'll say it again. This movie already captured more of what Spider-man is about than the first three shit ones the moment they chose Andrew Garfield. Watching that trailer, shit I'm as giddy as a school girl to see it. He is snarky unlike the other one, he isn't whining, and he is showing Spider-man is awesome. I can't wait.

Also, Spider-man in the Avengers sucks ass in the comics. Spider-man shouldn't be fighting Galactus or some other bullshit God villain.

Edited by turbojet

Goku you get all of the rep I can give you today just because you mentioned me in this topic.

Topic wise, I actually wanna see how Andrew does. Tobey's Spiderman was great and actually was an influence to me during the last decade so seeing how Andrew Spiderman works should be interesting. I'm not a fan of the costume but eh, it's the 1st movie. I'll be okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spiderman's cracking jokes!? Thank. Fucking. Christ. One (of many) things that really ended up irritating me about the Raimi films is that not once did Spiderman make a single joke at his foes. Anyway the new trailer is officially the only thing that's actually made me want to go out and see this asap, till recently I've been on the fence. It flat out displays that Peter is a genius, Gwen Stacy is the love interest, theres the mistery of Peter's parents, and the police actually view him as an outlaw. The film is being marketed as the untold story of spiderman while from the trailer shown it's more like the story we should've gotten back in 02.

Also, Spider-man in the Avengers sucks ass in the comics. Spider-man shouldn't be fighting Galactus or some other bullshit God villain.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was skeptical about this film at first, mainly because I think it's too soon for a reboot. But after seeing trailers I'm actually pretty excited to see this film. The only gripe I have with it now is Lizards design, but then again it's more of a minor nitpick then a huge complaint so I'll live. And if a sequel is made hopefully they'll put Venom in it, and hopefully he'll get more than 10 goddamn minutes of screen time (I'm looking at you Spiderman 3).

You know... it's funny. For years now I've been a pretty big defender of the Raimi films (except 3, that movie was awful), saying that despite their flaws, they were still rather enjoyable.

... But damn, this is making those flaws seem bigger and bigger. I really hope this doesn't disappoint.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so freaking excited for this movie, seriously. Andrew Garfield is a far better Spider-Man than Tobey, I never liked him. This is the Spidey I love - cracking jokes, web shooters, stylish direction, a strong sounding storyline and some great looking action sequences.

With this, The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, I need to start saving up...

Edited by Zero-Boom

I wonder just how many quips there will be. I'm hoping for Spectacular Spider-Man levels of jokes. Honestly, I still don't understand why they didn't have much wisecracking in the original trilogy. The only explanation I've heard is that it wouldn't fit during the action sequences due to the fact it's live-action, and I'm not sure if I buy that.

My body could not be anymore ready.

Seriously, i'm so STOKED for this, super Spideh fan right here, love everything so far, Webshooters, wiseass Spidey, Emma Stone, The Lizard, the fact that's pretty much like a Spider-Man: Year One intrigues me as well. Garfield just plain looks like the perfect Peter, quips and all.

I mean, i loved Raimi's films, but this entire trailer just feels more intense and epic in scope than the entire original trilogy.

This fucking summer man, Avengers, this and TDKR, can't decide which one i'm more excited for.

• Thumbs Up 3

Goku you get all of the rep I can give you today just because you mentioned me in this topic.

If you noticed, I kind of "borrowed" your topic title too. Its so that way the topic can be found easier while searching for it.

Thanks regardless. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm definitely looking forward to this! It's looking very good from the trailer so far. I just hope the movie isn't going to have trouble deciding whether it's an action or romance film like Spiderman 3 did.

If you noticed, I kind of "borrowed" your topic title too. Its so that way the topic can be found easier while searching for it.

Thanks regardless. smile.png

More rep for you just for mentioning my dead topic. biggrin.png

More rep for you just for mentioning my dead topic. biggrin.png

Not dead anymore, i just bumped it. it should get talked about now.

Spiderman's cracking jokes!? Thank. Fucking. Christ. One (of many) things that really ended up irritating me about the Raimi films is that not once did Spiderman make a single joke at his foes.

"I guess you haven't heard- I'm the sheriff around these parts!" -Spiderman 3.

I'll be in the corner.

• Thumbs Up 6

Spider-Man 3 was the only movie in the series that actually tried to bring out the snarky side of him though, and that was because at that time he was filled up with the massive ego the townspeople had bestowed upon him, along with him actually getting a control of his life.

The problem with bringing that up as an example is that Maguire can't convey any emotion other than wangst and whine, and trying to be witty or snarky in any way makes him look like a pretentious douchebag.

Also as far as I'm concerned Spider-Man 3 is the result of an inconsistent anomaly within the space time continuum caused by a quantum collapse that never actually happened.

• Thumbs Up 2

Overall, I think it's looking great. Originally, I was really hoping they would do what The Incredible Hulk movie did; simultaneously serving as a reboot and a sequel, by rebooting the cast, crew, etc., but by moving the story of Peter Parker firmly forward.

However, once I saw the trailer, my fears went away. It looks like a very strong reboot with numerous differences from the original trilogy. Plus, it's loyalty to the comics looks to be much stronger, and I applaud that. And of course, it looks like they're trying to utilize villains we didn't see in the original trilogy, as we're getting the Lizard here. They're doing a lot right with it so far.

Also, I thought Tobey McGuire was a good Peter Parker.. I can't really justify why, he just had a certain charisma, I suppose. That said, I STILL think Andrew Garfield both looks more the part and just in general seems the part. However, I could definitely feel like his performance is kinda referencing Tobey's in some aspects, like the part where he was whispering, "I gotta stop him, 'cause I created him," or when he was swinging through the air.

Lastly, I kinda like this idea of rebooting a comic book movie because the comic books themselves have numerous continuties, with different takes on Spider-Man and the characters surrounding him. So, in that sense, this movie is being incredibly faithful tongue.png

Edited by EXshad

I'll be in the corner.

And that fails in comparison to these.

tumblr_lji4qbcutS1qbpfelo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329053581&Signature=mHzzVAvK00jpU1HchtP8eCEGBhQ%3D

tumblr_lgmjhrVZGK1qbpfelo1_500.png

tumblr_l2da0hr48o1qbpfelo1_500.png

tumblr_l2d9prGwSd1qbpfelo1_500.png

tumblr_kz61l82lZ41qbqdjeo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329054392&Signature=t8itniEOkY1t8eDef9728MXwi7w%3D

• Thumbs Up 7

I'll be in the corner.

Edited by Balding Spider