Awoo.

GameWorks no longer owned by Sega

SonikkuForever

Aw man, I loved Sega Gameworks as a kid. This makes me slightly sad that I didn't get a Sonic plushie when I had the chance.

Aww, that's really lame! D: I've been to the GameWorks in Seattle quite a few times, it was pretty awesome. I still have a bunch of Sonic stickers that I got as prizes from there somewhere in my room.

I remember the Seattle GameWorks having an awesome painted wall as you walk in with NiGHTS, some Virtua Fighter characters, and other SEGA characters that I can't remember at the moment. Oh, and I got my picture taken outside of GameWorks right in front of Kage (from Virtua Fighter) busting through a brick wall.

gameworks_kage.jpg

I also took a picture of the sign outside because I thought it was cool seeing the SEGA logo in the bottom corner.

gameworks_sign.jpg

As someone who's been to GameWorks quite a few times, this is kind of depressing. But these things happen I guess.

That really sucks, I really liked the Gameworks that's a couple of hours away in Schaumburg.

Hold the phone...Schaumburg...Illinois?! NO!!!!!!! I live maybe an hour from there! ARGH!

I don't think there were much GameWorks's around the US.

No there weren't. At it's peak, there were about 25 or so, usually located in major cities like Seattle or Orlando. Two or three years ago, Sega closed half of them in financial desperation, leaving a mere 9 venues left. I had to drive 500 miles to get to the Newport one, but it was so worth it!

As for why you've never heard of it, there wasn't much promotion for the place. I'd be surprised if they even bothered to make one commercial. I guess that must be why it struggled, nobody knew it existed.

Edited by SonikkuForever

Yeah, I always went to the Schaumburg one. Maybe 20, 30 minutes away from here.

Edited by BlueChaos

tumblr_lmj85dYLQX1qgtax6.gif

I didn't hear of this until NOW and it's gone!!? ;A;

This.

I literally have never heard of this.

brb, doing some info digging

That really sucks too. There's a GameWorks literally down the street at the mall near me in Tempe. I only went there a handful of times but when I did go it was so much fun. I managed to snag myself a Super Sonic plush and a Silver plush while I was there (glad I did when I did). The machines were never broken, everything was clean and it just had an overall great arcade atmosphere. It's really sad that it was sold to this new company who apparently can't take care of the place. I haven't bothered setting foot in there since it was sold.

tumblr_lmj85dYLQX1qgtax6.gif

I didn't hear of this until NOW and it's gone!!? ;A;

Now, cheer up! It's not that bad! GameWorks isn't gone, it's just changed ownership. In fact, they're planning on opening more venues in new locations. I'd still recommend stopping by if you come across one, there might be some good games in there. Besides, there may still be a few Sonic remnants left in certain venues.

Edited by SonikkuForever

I also lived in Tempe and just went there last month and they still have quite a lot of Sega related items (except the UFO machines cause they sold them to other arcade places/theaters) but I am pretty sad that with time all the Sega stuff is going to be gone sad.png...maybe I can convince them to sell me the Sonic hockey table that they have.

Aww man. I went to the one in Ontario CA, and it was a blast! The two story ballon game, the awesome racing games, the food, the games and how cheap they were! Sega should have made more, more people would have gone to these than chuck e cheeses

I live in the US and have been to Orlando a couple of times in my life and never heard about this place.

If I knew this, I should have went to one instead of looking for an Eggman doll by scouring the various tourist traps around Kissimmee.

>Nobody here has ever even heard of GameWorks

WHAT IS THIS?

Seeing as I live in Phoenix, I'm really super close to the Tempe location mentioned in the opening post there. I now feel terribad for not visiting it more often, seeing as I had an absolute blast each and every time I went there. The best part by far is that they used the SEGA U.F.O. Catchers (the crane games that you can actually win on) which resulted in me owning two Knuckles and Amy plushes. That day was a good day.

Also, great SEGA arcade games out the wazoo. It was at that very location that I discovered The Ocean Hunter. Good times, good times.

Bah, it's a shame that they apparently suck now. I really took them for granted while they were in their golden years.

Edited by E-10000B

Up here in Minnesota we only had one of these so-called "Gameworks." I've only been there a couple times, and the only real Sega thing about it(at least that specific one) was the Super Monkey Arcade Machine. But did I ever play that arcade game when I went.

Really wish I had a chance to go to some of the other ones, but it's not like they were all over if I recall.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really sad that it was sold to this new company who apparently can't take care of the place. I haven't bothered setting foot in there since it was sold.

I think this new company just has a different way of managing the chain. Sega would dump all their profits back into the existing locations to keep the facilities at their best, but in the long run, this strategy obviously didn't work well enough to keep the franchise above water. The current owners seem to be buying more facilities instead, which means an overall decrease in quality but an increase in profit since there's more locations. Hopefully, if they stabilize their profits, then they can focus more on facility upkeep. By the way, here's a little something I noticed - just about every game/amusement center Sega ever owned had a shiny black floor. Looks nice when you have the games lit up.

Oh great, really? I've lived near one for the last two years and never really got a chance to visit.. Am I right in assuming it will no longer be SEGA-theme-driven? If that's the case then I'm seriously hating myself right now. sad.png Why is it that all the SEGA-themed places outside Japan have always met a bitter end? Makes so little sense to me, even though I'm sure the business sense is in there somewhere.. for someone. Oy.