Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

I have nothing against them bringing back the Sonic 2 special stages since it's a relatively tried and tested formula in games such as Sonic Rush. The only reason it was absolutely shit in Sonic 2 was because of the complete unpredictability imposed by the sprites.

The game does look better but I really feel they could have upped the contrast a good bit, that was something I at least felt Episode 1 did sort of well.

Also that planet in the background is obviously Little Planet under siege or something.

Oh lordy. Here we go.

So basically just one zone isn't showed in the screenshots.

Aquatic Ruin rehash, Snow/Carnival and desert industrial complex.

Oh lordy. Here we go.

It really needs to lock on to Episode 1 to have any hope of being any good. In fact, they should just get a team to rebuild Episode 1 around this new engine, and re-release it in time for Episode 3's debut.

WOW THIS IS AWESOME. But, is the Aquatic Ruins-y level the first level? Water in the first level? Hmmmm...

s4ep23.jpg

For some reason I laughed at this one. Reminds me of how often Tails gets hurt when he follows Sonic in Sonic 2 and 3&K. XD

Also, not sure how exactly the homing attack works in Sonic 4, but I'm wondering why there isn't any homing attack target thingy on the badnik right there. I guess you have to be higher in the air or something.

Calling it now, Little Planet comes back and Eggman captures it so he can convert it into another Death Egg.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Holy shit! Is.......Is that..........Decent, dare I say awesome looking graphics?....... Originality?................... Maybe even........... creativity?

SEGA actually cares........

SEGA ACTUALLY CARES YES!!!!!!!

This is still Dimps right?

*AHEM*

Anyway, awesome looking screens! Co-Op confirmed (Those spinning blue and orange blurs in the trailer were actually a hint after all), and the new graphics actually look awesome! All they need to do now is confirm better physics and no homing-attack chains now and this can be a worthy successor to the classics!

• Thumbs Up 4

Calling it now, Little Planet comes back and Eggman captures it so he can convert it into another Death Egg.

Looks like he already captured it and his plans for a total conversion of the world are well advanced.

• Thumbs Up 1

All they need to do now is confirm better physics and no homing-attack chains now and this can be a worthy successor to the classics!

One of the screenshots appears to have a homing attack chain, though.

s4ep22.jpg

I dunno about how "original" all of these zones are. Every single trope on display has appeared before.

That said, it's at least not blatantly rehashing things unlike Episode 1, which is a good thing in itself. When you've got a diverse ensemble of stage tropes to have used in a game like Sonic, it's really just a matter of working around things and so far it looks good.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm late but...what's wrong with Bubbles?

You mean other than the fact that the last game was full of them, and they were nothing but lame homing attack bridges?

• Thumbs Up 1

Those Bubbles are in close proximity to one another though, so Sonic should be able to bounce on top of them the standard way and get to the other side.

Seems like there will be some mix-matching with stage aesthetics.

s4ep23.jpg

The Arrow projectile launchers return from Aquatic Ruin for the expy, but they're styled in the same fashion as the ones in Marble Garden Zone. I wonder what other aesthetics come back.

Speaking of that old Tornado design... Is that a fucking CUTSCENE?! There is HUD on the other screens, but not on this one!

boxartlg.jpg

• DEVELOPER: SEGA
  • PUBLISHER: SEGA
  • GENRE: Action & Adventure, Platformer

FEATURES
    • Offline co-op 1 - 2
    • Dolby Digital

ONLINE FEATURES

[*]Online co-op 2

[*]Leaderboards

That, and looking through all of the screenshots...

SEGA, I LOVE YOU ;A;

• Thumbs Up 7

s4ep22.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm..........You know what, I can deal with HA chains if they get the physics right, as the HA chains were not my biggest problem with Sonic 4.

EDIT: Or heck, that could be a tutorial level, considering that T.V. thing. Mabye it's the only chain in the game, just to teach you how to use it? That I'd be even more fine with.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its like they're not even the same game! 0_0'

Despite the fact that they are very much supposed to be the same game, hence there only being four zones, and being called Sonic 4: Episode 2.

They need to lock on to allow for seamless play, they need to display consistent physics throughout (Episode 1 will need to be rebuilt around Episode 2's physics, provided they've been 100% fixed for Ep2), and while the graphics being updated in each new episode has little effect on the gameplay, it'd be nice for all of the episodes' visuals to be boosted with each new episodic release to keep the look fairly consistent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of that old Tornado design... Is that a fucking CUTSCENE?! There is HUD on the other screens, but not on this one!

Well, Ep. 1 did have cutscenes sooooooooooo..........

Yeah, it's probably something like the one at the beginning of Sonic 3 when Sonic and Tails arrive on the Tornado. I can see Metal Sonic destroying it or something because Sonic Team clearly hates the Tornado with a passion and needs to destroy it at every opportunity.

Those Bubbles are in close proximity to one another though, so Sonic should be able to bounce on top of them the standard way and get to the other side.

But why would I want to do that when I can just homing attack them? ;P But yeah, I see what you mean.

I like how Chop-Chop had an "I'm gonna fuck you up" look about him in the concept art, but in the screenshot he's all "Derp" with those eyes.

• Thumbs Up 2