Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

As much as I joke I'm really not bothered by the smile. It just looks kinda goofy, is all.

It seems like they don't play platformers often. By the looks of things they were tapping A to jump instead of holding it down for full height - something that of course comes utterly naturally to veterans of... well, most games. Hell maybe they were there just for the Nvidia stuff.

I thought he was trying to do the homing attack a whole bunch becase it cancels his jump height and gives him more lateral momentum. Mad speedrun tactics, yo. Of course he was failing miserably at it and missing the timing, but you know. Edited by Solly

I'm seriously disappointed with you all that I'm the first one to point this out.

sonic3banner.JPG

It came to me straight away, because I used to have a t-shirt as a kid with that Sonic 3 artwork on it.

I actually see this classic art for the first time^^.

Sonic in this modern render looks out of place. It's like they took his Colors render, slightly changed it and put it here slightly. His smile looks bad too and Tails's mouth is AGAIN open.

Other than that, not the worst render I've seen.

Oh yeah, there it is. I thought of this when I saw it:

sonic-x-tails-i1.png

This however is one badass art! Feel the difference!

Edited by ArtFenix

How hard is it to play a Sonic game. You jump and hold directions and watch cool shit happen. I'll just wait until like Kenesis will show him playing the game or something.

94021638.jpg

Well how else would you expect Sonic's mouth to look after 69ing Combo Rolling with Tails so many times?

/ontopic

It seems Sega loves to torture us fans, I mean they all know we want to see the physics changes and level design right? We could get Ken Balough or a fan or someone to show off the game. Or why not get somebody who sucks at Sonic to show us only 1/6th of the level and barley the physics whatsoever.

Now then, I like the graphics, I like the (can't really tell) physics changes, and I like the level design somewhat. I say somewhat because I am not a fan of the automation. Yes, the classics had them, but made them sort of subtle. Sonic 4 just says fuck that and blatantly puts them in the most unneeded places. I really hope they cut back on the automation, because that would be a dissapointment for me.

Can't hear anything other then *BRING, BRING, BRING, SWOOOSH* but I hate to admit that I did hear something that sounded very familiar to *Meow Meow Meow Meow* though maybe it's my imagination.

And I know tons of people are gonna hate me for saying this, but it is just the first level, maybe things will get better after Sylvannia Castle in terms of Automation. I wish they would've showed us White Park instead to see. (Though with this guy's skills, we probably would've only saw the avalanche section with him dying all the time)

Really I like this game, I have hopes for it. I liked Episode 1 to an extent, so it can only go uphill for me, though sadly I can't say the same for others who simply want to see a true Sonic 4. My only problem is automation, but I doubt they'll fix that. Oh Woe is me, if only Sonic Team was making this. They showed us they can make a Classic game with good level design and physics from Generations, but no, they're too busy making the next 3D game to come out probably this November or something.

P.S. HOLD RIGHT AND PRESS A MOTHERFUCKER. IT ANNOYS ME THAT PEOPLE NOWADAYS SUDDENLY CANNOT MASTER THE SIMPLE BASIC RULES WITHIN A PLATFORMER.

Edited by Mike Dawson

I actually see this classic art for the first time^^.

Sonic in this modern render looks out of place. It's like they took his Colors render, slightly changed it and put it here slightly. His smile looks bad too and Tails's mouth is AGAIN open.

Other than that, not the worst render I've seen.

Well, if they were basing this art on that classic art, then they're right in having Tails' mouth open. You can just about see his mouth open here:

Sonic3Sweatshirt.jpg

What's wrong with Tails having his mouth open? he's just happy to finally be playab-*shot*

Edited by Zone Seeker

Well since this is a somewhat post regarding the Sonic 4 media, and this is a media topic, guess I'll post it here.

Nothing too big, just something that caught my eye while looking at the reactions of the gameplay footage on Sega Forums.

From Copley Hill Zone

"See where Sonic 4 began"

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BUY IT ANYWAY, BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT, WHY GET MAD AT THE PR TELLING YOU TO NOT BUY IT, BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT?

Because to put it simply, Sega has spent two years hyping it up for every single classic fan. Hell, Ken Balough even did a "Sonic 4" style Sonic CD trailer which "tied in" to Episode 2's "classic" origins.

Why all the clamour, and fervour, emphasis and insistence on playing the "classic" card, only to turn round and calmly say "actually, it's not for you. At all" basically?

Do you understand the point I am making? That every single Classic fan was spun a line for two to three years across PR campaigns and now - NOW - we're being told to buy something else?

Don't you think the disappointment would go beyond simply "what the hell - wasn't this meant to be marketed and designed for us?"

Somewhere over the last two years, Sega missed the point of what was wrong with Episode I, and Episode II kept going in completely the wrong direction. But nobody bothered to tell the Classic fans until the very, very last second for the second time in this goddamn game's history.

The rug being pulled from under us. Twice.

All that hype and build up for the PR campaign manager of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4(that sequel to the classic games) to tell us that this game (sequel to the classics) wasn't really for the classic fans at all and we should take our money elsewhere.

Do you understand the frustration? The jaw-droppingly arrogant and unbelievable throwaway line of "go and buy Sonic CD or Generations because this isn't for you".

I think I speak for a lot of Classic fans when I say that the last two to three years of this game have been a complete and utter disappointment, and waste of time, particularly if you bought into all of the hype presented and the totally outrageous 180 degree turn in the PR for this game.

If you still can't see why the whole Sonic 4 PR campaign has been misleading, then I'm afraid you are blindly ignoring the facts of the past history of this game.

Edited by Mike Dawson
  • Thumbs Up 7

Well since this is a somewhat post regarding the Sonic 4 media, and this is a media topic, guess I'll post it here.

Nothing too big, just something that caught my eye while looking at the reactions of the gameplay footage on Sega Forums.

From Copley Hill Zone

I sincerely agree with Copley, and I do feel sorry for the Classic Purists out there. Sega and the PR team promised and hyped up a classic game intended to be made with the Classic fans in mind, only fpr 2 &1/2 years later, to basically do a 180 and tell them to go buy Sonic CD or Generations if they want a Classic experience. Never said this before, but they actually have a reason to be mad this time.

Edited by Voy-Boy

There's nothing wrong with making new and original products that are full of new ideas and don't necessarily act 1:1 like the classic games. Nothing wrong with that.

However, if you title said game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4", market and advertise it as the sequel to said games, and tell fans to get excited for it, then you're doing it wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad someone finally empathizes.

I don't know if I should make a separate topic for this, but even if the rest of Sonic 4 ends up being a fun, okay experience, the episodic Sonic 4 as we currently know it is a lost cause. Is Sonic 4 as a whole a lost cause though? No, not really. There are a few ways Sonic 4 can be salvaged in the future, and here they are.

1.) Have Sonic Team develop a retail version of Sonic 4. Not Sonic 4 Episode This or Sonic 4 Episode That, just straight up Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Take what worked with the episodic Sonic 4, as well as fix what didn't work with it, and just remake the whole saga on one disc. Just don't assign Dimps with such a task.

2.) We hack Sonic Advance 1, replace the title with Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and change other things that would make it more in line with the Sonic 4 we envisioned.

3.) We help Slingerland finish Retro Sonic Nexus, which might as well be our Sonic 4. The question remains whether or not the game can resume development now that Sonic CD 2011 is out.

Edited by Machenstein

I really wouldn't call it "a lost cause"....not yet anyway...lets wait till game release.

If the game is good then, considering Sonic up rise lately, it will only add to Sonic's positive attention.

He been getting a lot of it in chunks lately...kinda nice.

Edited by Voy-Boy

What I mean by lost cause is whatever the initial cause behind the episodic Sonic 4 was. When "Project Needlemouse" was announced back in 2009, we and possibly Sega themselves were first under the impression that it was going to be this all-out classic Sonic game. Now it seems Sega has diverted away from that cause (if that cause was even there to begin with) in favor of a more modern experience. Even their general attitude now is "Oh, were you expecting a classic Sonic game? Sorry, our actual intention was to make a modern 2D Sonic game. Sorry for the misunderstanding."

Edited by Machenstein

I'm just gonna say here, it looks decent, like average Sanic game should be really. run fast, get the ring ring, be a sonic electronic be the king. As a sucessor to the classics, it looks like shit, but that's really to be expected in the first place. Like it's been stated, this should be called Sonic Ultimate speed blast gotta go fast bullshit whatever adventure instead as a THE SONIC 4 AS WE TRULY IMAGINED IT. But yeah, mite b kool overall, nothing about this game absurdly rustles my jimmies, so I'll pirate it pick it up when it's like 5 bucks later on.

Edited by Sgt. Jackstraw

Well, if they were basing this art on that classic art, then they're right in having Tails' mouth open. You can just about see his mouth open here:

Sonic3Sweatshirt.jpg

I see and I agree with you, but what bugs me more is Sonic. Looks out of place [because of the pose] and it is in fact a slightly changed Colors art. Lazy.

It's the same model, but it's rendered and in a new pose. Look at the positioning of the arms and the way you can see the bottom of his shoes more. it's definitely similar but you make it sound like they just photoshopped an old render.

No, I don't mean they just copy pasted the art. Of course I see the difference, but you can't deny they look almost the same. It's not hard at all to make a new pose. It's lazy and that's my opinion on that. What's even worse it's not the first time they do that.

Seems Will Wilson of Pocket Gamer had a chance to play Episode 2.

http://www.pocketgam...ews.asp?c=38338

Instead, with a quick press on the attached Xbox controller, you can form a huge rolling powerhouse of fur and spikes, which seems to move around at the same speed as the Blue Blur himself (although it lacks the ability to jump attack).

The game rockets along on the Transformer Prime, with the HDMI output seemingly halving the framerate. In fairness, that's mainly because the Tegra 3 version I saw was using at least part of the console assets for its graphics - indeed, at a glance, the game is easily mistaken for the 'bigger' edition.

• Thumbs Up 1