Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

I like how Metal Sonic's bio explains why Eggman didn't simply repair him after CD and use him in S3&K rather than creating Mecha Sonic. I guess that confirms that Knuckles Chaotix takes place after Sonic 4.

Release date of Ep2: 1/5/2012 according to the sonicthehedgehog4 website!

Just switched over to the US site and I see that date now. That's not a release date, that's a news section with the date (in US format) of an old Sonic 4: Episode 2 news article.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

SEGA has at least learned something since Episode 1 then :P

Certainly seems that way. But the thing is, I can't find anything beyond what on the main screen. Like, the screenshots and other images. Just the map stuff.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post :P

Edited by HYDROCITEE

Something else I'm also wondering,

Are pinch mode bosses back? It would be interesting to see that Egg Serpent-whatever thing become even more unleashed.

(No idea where else to post this, so I'll just consider this the main topic for Sonic 4 Ep.2)

The Pinch mode thing is pretty much a Dimps tradition (I think going all the way back to Advance 1, or at least Advance 2), so I'd expect it to be back in full force.

Guess I'm the only one still not impressed :-/

*hides in staff forum*

Don't leave me behind.

I'm glad they got footage of a better player but I can't get fully interested in this game. Maybe jumping in a volcano in SSX threw me off or something. I don't know. This game (not visually) looks kinda medicore.

So even ST themselves know Episode I was a waste of time...good to know.

I actually heard that Episode 1 wasn't even going to be called Sonic 4 originally but Sega of America decided to change it to that name because they knew tons of Sonic fans would flock to it since they said it was going to be a sequel to Sonic 3&K. And considering it sold a over a million copies.......I guess they were right

I actually heard that Episode 1 wasn't even going to be called Sonic 4 originally but Sega of America decided to change it to that name because they knew tons of Sonic fans would flock to it since they said it was going to be a sequel to Sonic 3&K. And considering it sold a over a million copies.......I guess they were right

Edited by Nintendoga

Close, but the story is Dimps was originally going to call this Sonic DL. But during development, someone said "Hey, what if we call this Sonic 4 to get more sales?" So they marketed it as that, and it worked, seeing as Ep.1 got over a million downloads.

But after the release, due to all the fans complaining, I guess someone was like "This is Sonic 4, maybe we should treat it with a little more respect." Which I can see they are trying to do with Ep.2, considering the radical changes. Hell Ep.2 looks more Classic then Episode 1 will ever be, which isn't saying alot.

Is there a source for this story about how it became Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

Close, but the story is Dimps was originally going to call this Sonic DL. But during development, someone said "Hey, what if we call this Sonic 4 to get more sales?" So they marketed it as that, and it worked, seeing as Ep.1 got over a million downloads.

But after the release, due to all the fans complaining, I guess someone was like "This is Sonic 4, maybe we should treat it with a little more respect." Which I can see they are trying to do with Ep.2, considering the radical changes. Hell Ep.2 looks more Classic then Episode 1 will ever be, which isn't saying alot.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Hey can someone do me a favor and link me all the gameplay footage so far of that expo thats going on?

Edited by goku262002

Sonic gets owned by everything.

(Not sure if anyone posted yet)

Edited by STrainer

Sonic gets owned by everything.

(Not sure if anyone posted yet)

Yet another incompetent player.......

Yet another incompetent player.......

Nah, he's just bad at it.

I'll take bad over incompetent any day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's another one of White Park Zone:

EDIT: Nevermind, seems I was late.

Edited by STrainer

I like that they made a connection between episodes and Sonic CD mentioning Lost Labyrinth, Mad Gear and Little Planet.

THAT'S the continuity I'd like to see in my Sonic games. It's not that hard to at least mention what happened before and gives a full picture of continuity.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like that they made a connection between episodes and Sonic CD mentioning Lost Labyrinth, Mad Gear and Little Planet.

THAT'S the continuity I'd like to see in my Sonic games. It's not that hard to at least mention what happened before and gives a full picture of continuity.

How many of those connections do you think are going to be in the game rather than just on the website? (For that matter, does the Japanese website mention LL and MG? I'd be willing to bet that was something they made up for the American site because they know we crave such continuity.)

How many of those connections do you think are going to be in the game rather than just on the website? (For that matter, does the Japanese website mention LL and MG? I'd be willing to bet that was something they made up for the American site because they know we crave such continuity.)

I see the website as a kind of manual like those to classic games. I'm OK if in the game there will be no other connections, but I'd be nice if there are.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Funny, I seem to remember in the classics Sonic and Tails not needing some contrived "build-up" to Tails carrying Sonic while he flew, it just kinda happened.

Also I don't give a Scheiße about the goddamn tablet/laptop thingy! Keep the camera steady on the game dude!

Eh, it is looking somewhat decent, I'll give it that.

Edited by The-Master-Board

The game just keeps looking more and more like a quality (modern) Sonic game. At the same time it looks even less like a classic game than Episode I.

The game just keeps looking more and more like a quality (modern) Sonic game. At the same time it looks even less like a classic game than Episode I.

This just reminds me of the problems that the modern games have. I really don't see why they have to be transferred to a 2D game (other than for consistency, which is pretty stupid if true), given that they're a result of the developers' approach to 3D gameplay.

Automated sections involving springs can at least be fun to look at in 3D, as you're constantly changing perspective; while in those corridors in 2D, you're just being flung up and down through otherwise traversable landscape.

The homing attack makes little sense, seeing as how much easier it is to aim and time your jumps in 2D space. Due to the approach to the level design, it results in little more than mindless chains of badniks or platforms, amounting to simple button-bashing. It wouldn't be so bad if they found a clever use for it, but they don't seem to be interested.

The boosters are just terrible. They don't showcase blistering speeds as they did in the Classics, so they amount to little more than an excuse for more automation.

Sorry, but I don't see how these elements can be present and the title still be deemed a good 'modern' Sonic game. Unless, when people say that, they mean 'good for a modern Sonic game'. I'm not having a go at anyone here, and I hate to sound all negative and all that, but I really want to like the game and they're making it so difficult. Sigh. It looks so pretty, too. =[

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 3