Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Just to add credence and proof to the utter disdain that the people in the IRC (and besides) have for Dissident's post:

Firstly, bottomless pits are not as common as in a plat-former like Mario say, but they are still there occasionally. The issue is that like all level hazards is that they are used effectively, aren't over-used, and that they don't break the flow of the level, which is important for a sonic level and one of the chief problems with Sonic Advance 2 as crushing is with Advance 3.

Secondly, just because they haven't been used before in a game such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles does not mean that they cannot be used effectively in a new game.

conclusively, pits are just another level hazard in Sonic, punishing you for missing that jump. (unless you're playing Advance 2 but that's another story)

EDIT: As for bottomless pits in other sonic games, as well as the zones outlined in MilesKnightwing's post. I'll just say that it is entirely possible (though unlikely) to fall into a bottomless pit in Green Hill Zone.

Plus, whilst Emerald Hill has none, there is that infamous (but can be skipped by an obscure upper path) one in Chemical Plant act 2

Edited by Dartanian
  • Thumbs Up 5

Just to add credence and proof to the utter disdain that the people in the IRC (and besides) have for Dissident's post:

Oh boy! I'm famous! Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. happy.png

Secondly, just because they haven't been used before in a game such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles does not mean that they cannot be used effectively in a new game.

But in a game where the developer has consistently proven themselves to be utterly incompetent in regards to level design?

Look, we've seen chains of Bubbles, tons of springs, boosters everywhere, etc. I highly doubt Dimps has suddenly learned how to utilize pits effectively.

Edited by Dissident

Gee I wonder why Sonic Team isn't working on this game? Generations was the first time they tried to do Classic game-play/level design, and they did it pretty damn well. So I can not see why they wouldn't want to perfect it in Sonic 4.

It certainly can't be because they're trying to rush out another 3D Unleashed title this year, could it? Nah.

Oh boy! I'm famous! Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. happy.png

That is not something to be proud of, and that response makes you come of as facetious

But in a game where the developer has consistently proven themselves to be utterly incompetent in regards to level design?

Look, we've seen chains of Bubbles, tons of springs, boosters everywhere, etc. I highly doubt Dimps has suddenly learned how to utilize pits effectively.

I raise you Sonic Rush (and indeed Rush Adventure), in which they seem to fix their level design problems that were in Advance 2 and 3

• Thumbs Up 1

I raise you Sonic Rush (and indeed Rush Adventure), in which they seem to fix their level design problems that were in Advance 2 and 3

Oh, they were still present in Rush series. The boost just made you whiz past everything so fast that you wouldn't notice half the level design flaws. And it seems as though the "boost" in this game may be trying to do the same thing.

Edited by Nintendoga

Gee I wonder why Sonic Team isn't working on this game? Generations was the first time they tried to do Classic game-play/level design, and they did it pretty damn well. So I can not see why they wouldn't want to perfect it in Sonic 4.

It certainly can't be because they're trying to rush out another 3D Unleashed title this year, could it? Nah.

Sonic Team is currently focusing all of their time and effort on creating a Super Sonic final boss battle that's worse then the Time Eater. They can't be bothered right now with a trivial 2D platformer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, they were still present in Rush series. The boost just made you whiz past everything so fast that you wouldn't notice half the level design flaws. And it seems as though the "boost" in this game may be trying to do the same thing.

Actually that is a fair point, plus I do think that it may be time for Dimps to leave the handheld Sonic games to another developer.

But let's not hang the poor man before the trail is over, and I'll leave judgement until we can actually play the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually that is a fair point, plus I do think that it may be time for Dimps to leave the handheld Sonic games to another developer.

But let's not hang the poor man before the trail is over, and I'll leave judgement until we can actually play the game.

Personally (and despite the fact that Episode 2 is looking better and I'm quite looking forward to it), I think the trail was ended with Episode 1.

They're probably working on the Sonic 3ds game that people have been talking about for awhile now.

Although wouldn't be surprised if what Balding said is true. Plus some more omochao.*Jokingofcourse*

They're probably working on the Sonic 3ds game that people have been talking about for awhile now.

Although wouldn't be surprised if what Balding said is true. Plus some more omochao.*Jokingofcourse*

Hey if Omochao is still voiced by Laura Bailey then I got no problem with more Omochao! *sortofjoking*

We're arguing on an opinion here guys.

Its pretty clear that Dissident (and many others) isn't (aren't) going to like this game based on what he's seen and I doubt there is much you or I could do to change that.

Glad to see the air inertia and the physics have been improved. I'm definitely interested now, but still wish the level design was better.

The Sonic 3DS game people keep bringing up lately is Generations 3DS. People keep digging up old gaming site pages for 'Sonic 3DS', which is what they had it listed as after we learnt from a leaked 3DS software list back at E3 2010 that SEGA had a Super Monkey Ball title and a Sonic title in development. A lot of sites just made new pages for Sonic Generations on 3DS and haven't gotten rid of their Sonic 3DS pages.

I remember someone mentioning to me once that it's interesting how Sonic games went from Classic (bottomless pits as occasional obstacle) to Modern (bottomless pits everywhere with whole stages built around them). Wheras, Mario games went from having entire stages built off platforms floating in the sky to an occasional obstacle (with exceptions).

That's a different topic, though. Game looks better than Episode 1. Ultimately, I can't say much until I've played it. And likely, multiple playthroughs. Dimps games tend not to have the same fun factor on repeated playthroughs to me, but hopefully there are more interesting alternate paths.

In Ep2 the level design should be like S3&K levels:

Hugh open levels, multiple different routes. Plenty of gimmicks and well placed badniks/obstacles. Surely thats a no brainer. The level design in Ep1 felt too linear and boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna have to disagree with that. Classic Sonic in Generations was basically designed with modern Sonic's mentality. There were a lot of pre-set, scripted segments broken up by branching paths that required split-second jumps and/or bouncing on enemy chains to reach higher areas.

It's really a lot like Dimps' approach, it just ended up with more platforming and being more polished. Not that I MINDED it in Generations that much, but it still felt more like modern Sonic than classic Sonic, and I don't think Sonic Team would be getting it much more accurate.

Plus, there would be overlapping resources, since SEGA's basically ALWAYS working on a new Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see the air inertia and the physics have been improved. I'm definitely interested now, but still wish the level design was better.

The Sonic 3DS game people keep bringing up lately is Generations 3DS. People keep digging up old gaming site pages for 'Sonic 3DS', which is what they had it listed as after we learnt from a leaked 3DS software list back at E3 2010 that SEGA had a Super Monkey Ball title and a Sonic title in development. A lot of sites just made new pages for Sonic Generations on 3DS and haven't gotten rid of their Sonic 3DS pages.

That's great to know. Now i'm stumped on what they are doing. Thanks a lot shadz! lol

Although I thought Iizuka wanted a full 3d sonic game for the 3ds.

That's great to know. Now i'm stumped on what they are doing. Thanks a lot shadz! lol

Although I thought Iizuka wanted a full 3d sonic game for the 3ds.

No, that was just some spanish rep who said "Sonic Adventure...3DS?" And then everyone mistook him for saying that there was a sonic adventure game coming to the 3DS.

No, that was just some spanish rep who said "Sonic Adventure...3DS?" And then everyone mistook him for saying that there was a sonic adventure game coming to the 3DS.

No i'm not talking about that sonic adventure 3ds. Before that During the announcement of the 3ds Iizuka mentioned that he wanted to make a full 3d from the back sonic game for the console. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Before that During the announcement of the 3ds Iizuka mentioned that he wanted to make a full 3d from the back sonic game for the console.

Edited by Eggplant Wizard

“You’ll notice the changes right from the get-go. We took fan feedback and made sure he doesn’t uncurl. So now when he rolls up those hills, he’ll stay in ball-attack form. The other thing was to start having the game have more momentum style physics similar to the Genesis. In act 2 of Silvania Castle, it starts off at a big hill. So if you just put Sonic towards the edge and have him tuck and roll (not spindash) and let him roll naturally, you can put your controller down because not only will he roll down that hill, but he’ll actually pick up speed and roll off a ramp (for example) and have it similar in essence to the way it was on the Genesis.

Sounds promising...

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't we establish that there were competent rolling physics several times already via Endri, Ken's previous statements and at least 2 videos from the NVIDIA showroom?

Twilight Zone Act 2,000,000. mellow.png

Edited by Indigo Rush

Didn't we establish that there were competent rolling physics several times already via Endri, Ken's previous statements and at least 2 videos from the NVIDIA showroom?

Twilight Zone Act 2,000,000. mellow.png

Yes but from that footage it didn't look like it gained all that much speed (of course, maybe that's because the slopes weren't very large). Now, according to Ken, it looks like it will function almost as good if not as good as the classics.

Don't take this the wrong way, I actually liked the physics in Episode 1 so any improvements are good, I'm just pointing out that it seems to be a better improvement then I originally thought.

Well, notice I said "competent" and not "spot on." It's still something that could use improving, but the key thing to note is that for once, you can instinctively hold down to roll and not be downright punished for it.