• Please log in to reply
3294 replies to this topic

#1441 Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Moe~

• TSS Member
  • 1,903 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

The very least they could do is have bubbles float around a bit. Remember how he used to move in S3&K? Just sitting there in a perfect row it's obvious he's nothing more then a bridge for you to mindlessly mash homing attack to get across.

This is actually a genuinely good idea and would give the homing attack some skill to use. If they absolutely need the damn attack in the game, why not do something like this?

It's very difficult to defend this level design. I honestly had some hope for the game when it was first announced but like, it just looks so dire. How anyone can defend this, I have no idea. At least I have Generations and Colors.

#1442 Tiller

Tiller

Coop! What does the scouter say about my awesome level?

• TSS Member
  • 571 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Bubbles over deathpit. I can't say it wasn't expected but why do these guys exist only as mash A quick time event? The thing is if you jump over that pit that guy got stuck in there is a very good chance you'll fly into the damn pit yourself.

Brilliant Level Design. 10/10. Would rage again.

Anyway it always bothers me when people mash the jump button and air dash or whatever. Waaaaay too many people are doing it. It's almost a design flaw.

Also if the homing attack wasn't just static as hell and instead worked like when you homed in on balloons in Colors it would make for some interesting level design. This just halts all your momentum.

Edited by Tiller, 29 February 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#1443 Ming Ming Seto Sun

Ming Ming Seto Sun

Lord, I can't live or breathe without YOU! <3

• TSS Member
  • 3,674 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

They are not going to change the game much if Sonic 4 is a constant success. Think about it, if they are getting way good enough sales, why risk changing the physics and other important bits and blobs? IGN for example gave Episode 1 a very good rating over this piece of crap. Players from around the world are still purchasing Episode 1 as we speak. Having a nerd rage over this isn't going to change anything if we are going to purchase Episode 2 anyway. I personally don't think Dimps will learn their lesson until Episode 2 has poor sales against Episode 1, it's the only way.

Edited by Spice on the Starlight, 29 February 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#1444 Ringo ~

Ringo ~

A True Blue

• TSS Member
  • 931 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that most of the casual audience that buys Sonic 4 (or any other game really) don't know the ins ant outs of its design, and most likely don't care as long as they are having fun. I've let members of my family play Sonic 4, and they don't notice things like automation and inertia, they're just having fun. I'm not saying this is an excuse to not fix what was wrong with Episode I, but we as a group are still a minority in the audience that actually played and paid for Sonic 4.

Edited by Ringo ~, 29 February 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#1445 PSI Wind

PSI Wind

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

POPULAR

Note that they DID make the second spring, and without the HA.

I'm issuing a challenge: I want to see somebody post a video of them playing a classic title as badly as these demo videos. Make sure to do everything wrong. Oh, and make sure to move from the screen to your controller and back. The prize? Rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whw890VZR1w&feature=youtu.be
am i doin it rite

Edited by PSI Freeze, 29 February 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#1446 Steve

Steve

Don't touch me there

• TSS Member
  • 679 Posts:
  • Steam:steveosaur
  • NNID:stevep

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Better level design my ass. Looks like the same chain attack's over a death pit again. There really needs to be a playable demo beforehand before anyone rushes out and spends $15.00 on this abortion of a game.

#1447 Ming Ming Seto Sun

Ming Ming Seto Sun

• TSS Member
  • 3,674 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Better level design my ass. Looks like the same chain attack's over a death pit again. There really needs to be a playable demo beforehand before anyone rushes out and spends $15.00 on this abortion of a game.

Mehhh, they don't need to release a playable demo for Episode 2. They will still get their money. Heck, Episode 1 had a playable trial and had a major success in sales. I know you're frustrated but let's face reality, Episode 2 will sell. If Episode 1 was a major success in sales, there is no stopping Episode 2 from getting those sales. And when Transformer Prime comes out, Sonic 4 Episode 2 will be one of the "must have" games for that device.

#1448 Skully

Skully

I have returned from the grave to give the living haircuts.

• TSS Member
  • 2,828 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

I have to be one of the only people who doesn't mind death pits in Sonic, as long as you're not being randomly jettisoned into them with no warning. CRUSHERS on the other hand...

Really don't see how this has shocked anyone. We KNEW there would be bottomless pits, and we KNEW there would be Bubble chains. Bubble Chains over bottomless pits seems natural, and honestly it's not really any worse when they're combined. Hit A until it's over. Is it stupid and boring? Yeah, but they're really just short and inconsequential segments that offer NOTHING rather than something really horrible. Not going to discredit the ENTIRE GAME's level design over something I knew would be in, but then again I thought Episode 1 was decent in that regard, so whatever.

Though it would be better if Tails could fly for more than half a second.

My understanding of the flight in this game is basically this:

When you press the button, Tails lifts Sonic up, then he visibly starts sweating and gets fatigued faster. The people in the demo are mashing the buttons when flying which forces him to use all his stamina at once, tiring him out. That would explain why he seems to be going for so much longer in the trailers.

1: We don't know the price point.
2: Abortion of a game? Really?
3: XBLA and PSN games all have trial versions the day the game is released. Don't expect one beforehand.

Edited by Solly, 29 February 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#1449 sonfan1984

sonfan1984

• TSS Member
  • 3,335 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Mehhh, they don't need to release a playable demo for Episode 2.

Why not? They released a demo for episode 1 and I want to play the game before I spend money on it,

#1450 Skully

Skully

• TSS Member
  • 2,828 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

guys there's GOING TO BE A DEMO.

#1451 Ming Ming Seto Sun

Ming Ming Seto Sun

• TSS Member
  • 3,674 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Why not? They released a demo for episode 1 and I want to play the game before I spend money on it,

That wasn't a demo. That was a "trial". Meaning you are downloading the whole game, but only can play the first level until you purchase the unlock key.

#1452 Cream Butt Flubber Catch

Cream Butt Flubber Catch

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Every single XBLA and PSN game comes with a Trial when it's released! You'll get to play it for free, OK...well, you'll get to play the first Act for free anyway.

Edited by KrazyBean14, 29 February 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#1453 Skully

Skully

• TSS Member
  • 2,828 Posts:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

That wasn't a demo. That was a "trial". Meaning you are downloading the whole game, but only can play the first level until you purchase the unlock key.

The only difference is that a demo comes out earlier and doesn't have the rest of the game attatched to it, but that doesn't matter. They're still functionally the same. You can play a portion of the game without paying for it to help confirm whether or not you want to purchase.

Giving a demo before a trial would just be WEIRD.

#1454 Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

*video lolz*
am i doin it rite

great control methods, making progress only to back track, clearly showing that the game is being controlled with a controller. Rank: A

S rank would have inaudible audio, more shaky cam and talking over it

#1455 Ming Ming Seto Sun

Ming Ming Seto Sun

• TSS Member
  • 3,674 Posts:

Anyways, I don't think there will be a playable demo, but there will be a trial just like Episode 1. That means we cannot have a taste on how the game really plays until the same day of the release of Episode 2.

@Solly - Exactly.

EDIT 2: The reason why I said "Mehhh, they don't need to release a playable demo for Episode 2." because I personally think it's true, they don't need to release a demo/trial to win those sales. Even though every PSN/XBLA game must have a trial.

Edited by Spice on the Starlight, 29 February 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#1456 Carnage Warp

Carnage Warp

I have no idea what to put here

• TSS Member
  • 5,241 Posts:
  • Skype:bmxskiawesomeness55 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Steam:chaoswarp
  • NNID:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • XBL:son1c14 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • PSN:chaoswarp19 (say you're from SSMB when adding me)
  • Location:Somewhere in the deep depths of Mystic Cave Zone......

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

So, the level design looks good, but scarred by too much automation. It's still good, but it could be so much better.........

#1457 Ming Ming Seto Sun

Ming Ming Seto Sun

• TSS Member
  • 3,674 Posts:

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

They might as well add Boost to this game, because as far as I'm concerned, from Episode 1 and the looks of Episode 2, this game is nowhere near touching the classics.

The way I see it, the only similarities from the classics is it's in 2D, has the old badniks and if you want to push it, Tails (he's not even playable lol) and Super Sonic.

Even the BGM is terrible and unmemorable.

#1458 Indighost Rush

Indighost Rush

Oh, it's a w͓i͈̪͔̼̯̫̜n͉͎͚͍̉d ̤̘ͮͥ͆̅̈́̚y

• TSS Member
  • 8,253 Posts:
  • Steam:IndigoRush101
  • 3DS:3282-2930-9714
  • NNID:IndigoRush
  • XBL:IndigoRush101

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Aw well. Hey, White Park still looks pretty nice.

#1459 Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Aw well. Hey, White Park still looks pretty nice.

The entire game looks nice so to say.

Though really. Why have they not learnt anything from E1 level design complaints? Even Gens3DS had many of the same issues.

#1460 Quiet Ass Bender

Quiet Ass Bender

Nah I'm just messing with ya, you're alright.

• TSS Member
  • 2,384 Posts:
  • Twitch:Stonecoldsas1
  • NNID:-Bender-
  • PSN:StonecoldSAS1mgs

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Ep1 lacked replay value, so its hard to justify paying that price ($15) for Ep2. Especially with Sonic CD which is a far superior game being so much cheaper. I wonder how well Sonic CD 2011 is selling compared to Ep1?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users