Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

The thing is the Spin Dash would've had the same effect as the booster, only with more player input required. The issue with this game is just how automated the level designs seem. Even the boosters automatically make Sonic go into ball form as soon as he touches them. The player should decide when Sonic goes into ball form, not the game.

Putting needless spring all over the place is bad enough, but they still all your speed as well. Scriptastic!

• Thumbs Up 1

Putting needless spring all over the place is bad enough, but they still all your speed as well. Scriptastic!

Putting needless springs that stole your speed where in the classics as well...actually sometimes they came out of no where.

Its called avoiding them since you know that your better off running at your own speeds. This element was also in the classics.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Putting needless springs that stole your speed where in the classics as well...

Its called avoiding them.

To be fair, mang, in the classics, they weren't used with such unnecessary frequency that it made the game feel automatic.

To be fair, mang, in the classics, they weren't used with such unnecessary frequency that it made the game feel automatic.

Your not understanding what I'm saying...0:20 is a good example of what I mean. Instead of using the springs he just air dashed through them.

If you know your better of not using springs skip them or jump over them. This adds obstacles without necessarily being punishing to the player in a casual run. I personally enjoy level design like that unless you rather have the springs fling you backward. ( I don't mind this either sometimes)

Now springs that force me in one way without the option to do what I want with them...?

Yeah that's a problem if over used...I'm just giving credit where its due.

The game deserves at least that.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Putting needless springs that stole your speed where in the classics as well...actually sometimes they came out of no where.

Its called avoiding them since you know that your better off running at your own speeds. This element was also in the classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

No they weren't. In the Classic games, Sonic would keep horizontal movement after hitting springs (try the hidden yellow spring at the start of Angel Island), so his speed remained. And of top of that you still had control of Sonic after hitting the spring. In S4,

It's otherwise very noticeable when hitting a diagonal spring at the end of a slope.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Again...there where counter-productive springs in the Classics...do I have to dig up an example? Come on with all the times we spent playing them I really shouldn't have too. I already know about springs that stop you dead in your tracks, what I'm talking about are springs that are used against you time wise traversing through the level in the most effective way possible.

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like what I see in a few things here. Sonic still isn't gaining enough speed when he goes down hills though and the level design still looks pretty damn bad. How many bottomless pits proceeding a mandatory spring were there?

Springs as obstacles appeared in the classics (again, another example right near the start of Angel Island), but they functioned differently. They weren't scripted events.

It looks fun but nothing special, definitely not comparable to the classics. The level design looks fun but very automated and very 'blocky', there looks like very little room to even toy with the physics.

If I may interrupt to bring up something.

While lurking the old Episode 1 topics, I found a quote from a Digital Chumps interview that I thought was interesting,

http://digitalchumps...shi-iizuka.html

DC: Back when Sonic 4 was still known as Project Needlemouse, Sega stated the game would have speed would not be found by hitting a boost button, but rather through momentum. The opposite of this appeared at E3, where the levels (though a work in progress) contained a good number of artificial boosts. Is creating an appropriate sense of speed a major challenge for the development team?

TI: I think there were an misunderstanding here, what I tried to say was classic Sonic series would not use those actions that were featured in ‘Sonic Rush’ series and which is for example activating boost by charging up the gauge and push button… I believe instant execrations by gimmicks like booster are important elements to keep the better game pacing

Edited by Nintendoga

I don't think the complaints about speedboosters and Bubbles could have been drowned out. No way in hell that they weren't picked up on. Not blaming SEGA's community team btw.

And yeah, it was only a matter of time before "Don't worry! Episode 3 will be better" happened...

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 6

You try to get the community to make an organized voice about something, and it's met with sarcasm.

Can't say I didn't try.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

Please read the entire explanation before making snarky responses like that, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 3

You try to get the community to make an organized voice about something, and it's met with sarcasm.

Can't say I didn't try.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can't say I didn't try.

• Thumbs Up 8

Last time I checked, we were the most awesome fan community ever, not a bunch of quitters.

Go ahead and sit this out. I'm going to support the development and PR Team because they're showing genuine effort and promise with this one.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

I have to agree with Hydrocitee. Those complaints were just as big and talked about as the issues of physics. They were big contributers as to why people didn't like S4E1. They were huge problems. So the development team should have taken notice of those issues and worked to fix them. If they were aiming to please the fans then they should have looked at the other issues. Cause i'm pretty sure they knew physics wasn't the only flaw.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Can't say I didn't try.

No offense intended, but where were you when the fallout from E1 happened? Because all of that happened after people calmed down from E1.

Opinions were gathered and pooled, and ultimately selected by order of importance. They were presented to Sega as a collective opinion, and people were told they would be taken care of.

In fact, that happened twice. It happened when the game came out, and it also happened when the PartnerNET leak happened.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

No offense intended, but where were you when the fallout from E1 happened?

I dunno. Maybe I am being delusional here.

I suppose it was a dumb idea after all. Guess I'll join the doom team, then.

Edited by Indigo Rush

This is reminding me very much of my time on the IGN forums where going there as a positive fan means absolute destruction of anything you can latch on. (although recently cause of Generations and Colors things are getting a lot better) 'm sorry to say, but I highly dislike this whole "bringing you down to my level of despair" bullshit that I have been seeing in this thread.

Its disgusting.

You guys need to have a talk with Kamina or something.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 5

Don't get me wrong... I'm still going to support the game and dev team. Sonic and the associated community are a big part of my life right now... but I just don't think I can get excited over supporting this game anymore.

Reality is sobering.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3