Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Ever since getting involved with Sonic Colours, going through to Generations, Episode 1 and now Episode 2, I’ve tried to make sure that this question of what Sonic fundamentally is has been answered, and is consistent. The essence of Sonic is what we’ve been trying to clarify, and drive home to people. Now that we’ve done this, I think we can actually start thinking about spin-offs and branches of the Sonic gameplay.

Edited by Lungo

No offense intended, but doesn't it make more sense to post the link to the article and a small snipet rather than the whole article? The site deserves the hits for a scoop after all.

Sure, I'll go ahead and shorten it.

Short 30 second melodies again. Hooray!

You mean like this? I hate 30 second melodies too.

Also guys, the rolling is still better than Generations HD, so that's a step in the right direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever since getting involved with Sonic Colours, going through to Generations, Episode 1 and now Episode 2, I’ve tried to make sure that this question of what Sonic fundamentally is has been answered, and is consistent. The essence of Sonic is what we’ve been trying to clarify, and drive home to people. Now that we’ve done this, I think we can actually start thinking about spin-offs and branches of the Sonic gameplay.

I'm interpreting this as, "we're finally going to take a fucking risk or two and maybe have some alternate playable characters and perhaps a storyline that isn't balls and/or short."

*Radical Highway*

You mean like this? I hate 30 second melodies too.

Also guys, the rolling is still better than Generations HD, so that's a step in the right direction.

Yes, exactly like that. 'Vengeance is Mine' actually differs slightly as the song goes on, but the repetitiveness still annoys me (+1 for Generations Classic ver). I don't particularly care if the rolling is better than Generations HD. It should be right, not just better.

This looks awesome.

I really think this looks awesome. Eggman firing a giant nova laser and Tails carrying Sonic away from danger.

That looks awesome. Does anyone else think that's awesome? I think that's awesome.

That boss screen looks so exciting. First boss to rival the death egg (s&K)?

Digitalspy interview. Was this posted?

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is one for the fans. After years of waiting for a 2D Sonic game, Sonic Team created Episode 1, but failed to deliver in some areas. However, Episode 2 looks like it will be the most faithful 2D Sonic game since the Mega Drive era. We chat to producer and Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka about the changes made and the franchise's future.

There's been a bit of a wait between the first and the second episodes - why is that?

"2011 was Sonic's 20th anniversary, so we were focusing on Sonic Generations. After Sonic Generations, [we] were planning to announce Sonic 4: Episode 2 as soon as possible."

Were there any ideas from Sonic Generations that you took for this second episode?

"We were developing Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 2 almost at the same time, so there are not so many things because we were making it at the same time.

"Small things, like sign posts in the cliff which say 'If you fall here you're going to die', [that's] from Sonic Generations, and also the red-style ring, that's what we use in Sonic Generations and also Sonic 4: Episode 2."

When you were looking at the feedback for the first episode, what sort of things did you want to introduce or change in Episode 2?

"The feedback in Episode 1, the one we got the most feedback on was the physics of the character, so that is what we worked on. In Episode 2, we tried to make it quite similar to Mega Drive gameplay."

What would you say what was odd about the physics in the first game, and what did you specifically want to change in the second?

"So what I meant in the physics, in the feedback, was the movement when Sonic's going to the wall or a hill, and also Sonic's physics in the air, the feedback said it was quite different to the Mega Drive versions."

You've also introduced a new engine and tweaked the art style. Why do that?

"We started creating episode one in 2009, and at that time, mobile device's specs weren't as good as those we have right now. At that time we couldn't use a shader programme, so we used a pre-render for the graphics.

"For Episode 2, [a] mobile device's specs were so much improved compared to the one in 2009, so the graphics can be quite similar to the console versions. So that's why we changed the art style slightly."

You've also introduced Tails to the game - what sort of elements does that character bring?

"The biggest difference in Sonic 4: Episode 2 with Tails is Attack Action. He has three different actions; on the air, in the land and in the water as well. So it's not only Sonic running through the level, but you can always use his Attack Action with Tails. So we tried to achieve [a more] rhythmical gameplay with these Attack Actions.

Can you discuss the special stages as well? I believe they're quite similar to Sonic 2's?

"Special stages in Episode 1 were similar to the special stage in Sonic 1. We can't at this point announce anything much about special stages. We can't really go into details, but it will be something that will remind you of old Sonic."

Something I noticed - and this is probably a personal thing, and I don't know if you had this feedback - was that the last boss [in Episode 1] was quite hard, that there was quite a difficulty spike.

"That was really difficult! This time there won't be one particular part of the game that will be really hard, we tried to keep the difficulty calm, [it] gradually goes up.

"We created Sonic 4 series for the original Sonic Mega Drive fans, so it used to be quite hard compared to the game nowadays. So it's probably [the case that] the difficulty of this Sonic 4 series will be slightly harder compared to other series."

Speaking about Sonic 4 as a whole, what were your objectives with this project?

"[What we wanted to] achieve in the Sonic 4 series is to release a digital title on multiple platforms including consoles - but not only consoles, but including mobile devices. Originally Episode 2 was going to be released on 360, PS3 and iOS, but now we have Android and Windows Phone as well. That's what we tried to achieve as a project."

Would you consider releasing the games on Vita as well?

"We're not about thinking releasing [the] title on Vita at the moment, because it just came out. We want to see how the market develops and see what happens."

So it depends on how successful Vita will be?

"Yes."

Are you going to do more episodes after this, or is this the final one?

"We are looking forward to hearing the feedback from the users for Episode 2, but we are currently not planning to release another episode. We just want to see how the users accept this episode."

Last year for Sonic was a big year for the franchise. Can you tease what it's going to be like for the year ahead for Sonic the Hedgehog?

"I think we achieved a 2D platform for the basic Sonic games with this Sonic 4 series. For 3D, we'd like to, as well as try to evolve all the old titles, we want to try something new in the 3D Sonic games as well."

So this new 3D Sonic game will be available this year?

"We cannot talk about it yet."

Although you can't talk about, you say it'll be a new 3D experience. Sonic Generations last year was back to basics, almost, so will this try to evolve the franchise?

"We would like to try and challenge to create a new 3D Sonic game, and if we try and make a new 3D Sonic game, it will be different to Sonic Generations."

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 3

Anyway, anyone else out there liking Snowy the Bearbadnik?

I love this Badnik. But... am I the only guy here who likes him Because he takes more than one hit to destroy? I wouldn't nesesarily say that it would slow the paced too much, knowing that there are many things in past games that do that (e.g. Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone). I gets boring to have different badniks that simply take a bop to the head or roll through every time. It also shows that Eggman really is making more threatening & stronger badniks.

It's the same issue with Sonic Heroes. Eggpawns take longer to defeat, but I think that's what's makes the game's team gameplay important & fun (wasn't it's original slogan called "A Tough Team for a Tough Job"? Implying that Eggman is stepping things up a notch, considering that Sonic (& co.) have to go in a group) - the level up system benefits this IMO. & it's cool to see how Tails's simple Thunder Shoot attack, an attack that's simply used to paralyse opponents, can 1-hit KO opponents in chains when levelling up enough as you progress (it makes the boss fights enjoyable IMO)! =D

Edited by Hyper-Shan
  • Thumbs Up 2

The more I see of this game, the more I think it looks damn fun. I've stopped judging it on how good of a sequel to S3&K it is and now I just care about it being fun. I don't like the use of speed boosters in every zone, and I think they could tone it down on the springs; but I still think its shaping up to be a great Sonic game.

I've been playing Episode 1 more lately and I've actually kind of started to like the game. I've adjusted to the terribad physics, and I think the game can actually be really fun in its own right. Episode II has better physics, better graphics, original zones, and a real story. I'll be buying it. And for the record, this is coming from someone who was horribly disappointed by S4 when it came out and thought it was an absolute waste of time/money

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 Preview: Blue Again?

http://www.eurogamer...isode-2-preview

I'm actually quite happy they acknowledged the franchise's growth with Colours and Generations at the beginning at the article, something that's kinda rare these days, with every single new good Sonic game treated as Sonic's comeback and all.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 4: Episode 2 – hands-on preview

http://www.guardian....isode-2-preview

So many articles now and everyone is getting hyped up. Bless them. In that lastest article it said 'bonus stages' will be returning. Do you think they just mean the special stages and not the bonus stages like in S3&K.?

As for the screen shots, item boxes, yeah! I think the art of the item box is the same. Doesn't really matter I guess. I always liked the item box design of Sonic 3. That boss battle looks excellent. Lets up hope its the good old fashioned eight hits with Metal Sonic involved with every boss.

Having listened to the interview with Ken Balough I have got say that I am a lot more happy.

Why? well first of all Ken balough as cleared a few things up. The budget is limiting what they can do, so they are sticking with the linear level design mainly for the benefit of Sonic gameplay. So yes its not good news for mega drive/genesis fans but at least we now know. The music from Ep1 will be the same quality in Ep2, Fair enough.

A digital download for £40.00 won’t sell as well as £15.00 game so smaller budget, smaller game. Ken talking about the processes of the Trailers and the marketing was actually really interesting.

Oh and they had to mention the puns!!!!!!!

Perhaps its time for a Miles ‘Tails’ Prower/ Knuckles Echidna spin off – digital download?

So can we expect a release date announced soon, or is that a bit far off yet. When was the Ep1 release date announced before that was released?

Edited by MilesKnightwing

So can we expect a release date announced soon, or is that a bit far off yet. When was the Ep1 release date announced before that was released?

Digital download games usually get their release dates announced about 2 weeks before they release. So if it does release in May, then depending when in the month it's released, we could get a release date announced in the second half of April.

Digital download games usually get their release dates announced about 2 weeks before they release. So if it does release in May, then depending when in the month it's released, we could get a release date announced in the second half of April.

As they are doing the back story by comic book, i.e. what happened between Ep1 & Ep2 to be released in May, I would imagine a release date for the game after the comic. So probably end of May 2012.

It would be nice to see screenshots of the other two mysterious levels. I think we have seen enough of White Park and Sylvania Castle.

From Eurogamer article

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 released in 2007. Five years later we're still waiting for Episode 3. I wonder if we'll have to wait that long for Sonic 4 Episode 3?

Takashi Iizuka: I don't know! I don't think so...

So maybe they really do have plans for Episode 3 afterall?

Edited by Spooky Mulder

From Eurogamer article

So maybe they really do have plans for Episode 3 afterall?

Episode 1 sold very well. From what we have seen everyone is curious about Ep2 which should sell even better. I hope if there is an Ep3 that it takes place on Little Planet. So in terms of the Sonic CD - Sonic 4 saga it would have come full circle.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

In Episode 2, we wanted to make sure there was consistency. Our thought process was, half nostalgia, half new surprises and experiences. So there are some levels you've seen before and will recognise, and certain gimmicks and elements you'll recognise from the Mega Drive era. But there are also stages we've included to make sure there's content you've never seen before.

I hope he's only referring to Sylvania Castle and general use of popular tropes. Otherwise I wonder if the level we haven't seen will be another throwback. I know Sylvania Castle looks very different to Aquatic Ruin, but I'd still rather the zones be entirely original.