Awoo.

Super Mario Bros. Z

Kuzu

I mean bringing back Sonic's friends is just asking for a bloated cast; he probably killed them off to keep things focused on Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Shadow. 

not that I agree with it.

And Yoshi don't forget Yoshi.

Rouge's death was also Alvin's means to justify Shadow's character shifting into the Vegeta archetype for the series, to better fit with the homage. 

If anything, I can see that particular casualty sticking, so that Alvin doesn't have to shift archetypes and the general plot up to greatly. Shadow's a hothead, Shadow gets called out on it later on, her death is the justification, he goes his separate ways immediately after, he has a bout with Metallix/Mecha Sonic while going solo.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Alvin released this screenshot on Twitter:

COZhAKiWoAEdu5K.png

Here was the accompanying tweet:

Screenshot of scene 3 of the reboot. The Wario bros return. But they won't be kart racing this time!

Alvin has also said in response to a fan that the Bowser fight will still be the main event of the episode. 

Having rewatched the original series after hearing of the reboot, the first episode drags quite a bit - even if it is only meant as an introduction. Other than a quick intro for Mecha Sonic, the main point of action is a kart race which is lacking in imagination or action - which is understandable given it was Alvin's first episode. The fight with Bowser didn't happen until the next episode. Given the relatively short running time of said episodes, I always felt that they should have been merged into one for the sake of pacing.

This news therefore fills me with hope. Not only will we see the Bowser fight in the first episode, but we will finally get to see Wario and Waluigi fight - something that was teased but never came to fruition in the original series. Colour me excited!

--

Alvin has also set up a patreon if any of you wanna contribute. So far he'll get over $1200 per episode. I don't know how high that number is relative to other similar projects, but that's pretty impressive. It seems like a lot of people want to see the series realise its potential. Hopefully the financial kick will provide some added motivation.

https://www.patreon.com/AlvinEarthworm?ty=h

--

On the earlier discussion in regard to the tone of the story, I'm in the camp that felt that killing off Sonic's friends was unnecessary. I understand wanting to up the stakes, but it didn't feel in line with Mario or Sonic. I hope that, if they do indeed stay dead, that they're wished back via Chaos Emeralds/Star Spirits - which would be help keep to the DBZ homage. Best case scenario for me would be if he just leaves them all badly incapacitated. Or perhaps he could just come up with some other reason as to why Sonic and Shadow end up in Mario's world - as Dio mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I said back in 2012 that I felt that the writing was poor, with bad jokes, reliance on tired internet memes, stupid dialogue, weird characterisation and poorly thought out drama detracting from the best parts - the fight scenes. Alvin seems to be aware of this, so I hope he can deliver on that part. I'm not expecting award winning stuff - it's a sprite animation - but if he can make the periods of respite between fights more tolerable, then that'd be great.

Man, I feel like I'm 12 all over again. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Edited by Ringo ~

Super Mario bros Z is back?? That's the best news I've heard in a long time. I hope Alvin receives the mental and emotional support necessary for this project so he does not burn-out on it, like what happened last time.

It's been a long time since I heard Alvin say it, but speaking of short episodes, I'm pretty sure he said at one point that he was actually hindered by some kind of limit on frames in Flash at the time which forced him to cut episodes short, and it wasn't until that episode where those Ginyu knockoffs got the absolute shit kicked out of them by Metal that it was either removed or he found a way around it. Had he had his way in the first place, both episodes 5 and 6 would've been a single episode, or at the very least 5 would have trailed on quite a bit longer into ep6's time.

Now that he's doing the whole thing over with a much better idea of what he's doing, I'm expecting episodes and events to be a lot more condensed this time around. Which would be neat, because episodes ending in mid-fight - or right before one in the case of the first episode - did get pretty old sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's been a long time since I heard Alvin say it, but speaking of short episodes, I'm pretty sure he said at one point that he was actually hindered by some kind of limit on frames in Flash at the time which forced him to cut episodes short, and it wasn't until that episode where those Ginyu knockoffs got the absolute shit kicked out of them by Metal that it was either removed or he found a way around it. Had he had his way in the first place, both episodes 5 and 6 would've been a single episode, or at the very least 5 would have trailed on quite a bit longer into ep6's time.

Now that he's doing the whole thing over with a much better idea of what he's doing, I'm expecting episodes and events to be a lot more condensed this time around. Which would be neat, because episodes ending in mid-fight - or right before one in the case of the first episode - did get pretty old sometimes.

And miss out on that classic DBZ pacing? Surely you jest :V

Its just always kinda bothered me when fans portray Shadow as a blatant Vegeta clone, when he isn't. Like goddaaamn, that's a pet-peeve. I forgive Alvin for it in hindsight because he at least did justify it in the series.

But yea, I can see the average length of an episode being about 25-30 minutes long not unlike Kirbopher's TOME series. If that's the case, Episode 1 & 2(Mario & Luigi fight Wario & Waluigi and Bowser) will probably be condensed into one.  Episode 5 & 6 will be one like Blacklightning said, and then we'll probably move right into the Doomship arc.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the limitations that he had to work with at the start. 

Condensed episodes from the start is another reason to get excited for the reboot.

Edited by Ringo ~

• 3 months later...

inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

I was waiting for this mainly for the fight scenes, but honestly I was wearing a big grin all throughout it, what with all the new and old touches the guy put into this remaster. Maybe it's just nostalgia for the old series, but I'll definitely be waiting for more

Also like how he fleshed out Luigi's character far earlier in this version. Dunno how long it took or even if it happened at all in the original, can't recall, but all I remember is Luigi being a useless coward for 75% of the series. It was hilarious, but a little grating when Luigi is supposed to be at least a little "more" than that.

• Thumbs Up 5

That was SICK! Awesome to see a fresh take on this series (In fact, I just watched the entirety of the original a couple months back) and I love all of the little updates and changes. (The BIS Bowser sprite works SOOOOOOOOOO much better for fight scenes than that awkward old Superstar Saga one. XD) Definitely can't wait to see more!

Also, Rawk Hawk as a Hercule equivalent is just genius.

I can't wait for more! damn its good seeing this series in a new light. I notice that the intro and ending scenes are DBZ-esque done in mario themes I love that.

Man watching that made me feel like I was in middle school again. I can't wait for more. 

Also I lol'd at the spongebob "BOO YOU STINK" line whenever it was uttered

• Thumbs Up 3

Props on the "One Punch Man" music.

Yea, the references to DBZ feel a lot less obvious, which is good as it makes it feel more unique. In fact, it feels more like a Smash Bros. Adventure series than a DBZ one. Fits a lot more with both series tnh.

• Thumbs Up 4

Since SMBZ's been revived, it was only a matter of time before the internet rejoiced. 

I wasn't too keen on the changes at first, especially the loooong intro, but then I realized being stuck in the past is fer losars. I didn't like the new Metal Sonic initially but then I realized that it makes more sense since he was a new robot to begin with. I was appreciative of the other changes, like the Hercule expy and the Smash Bros. references. As a matter of fact, the whole thing is ripe with anime references. A good eye will notice the nod to the SS2 Goku vs Kid Buu fight. I notice that overall, there was a lot less focus on the Z factor and more on Mario factor. While I did love the DBZ-esque fights, I'm very appreciative of the closeness to the canon material. It felt a little off seeing fire Mario having high speed battles in the air sky, never mind that everybody practically had aerokinesis. The change that struck out to me the most in this episode was Luigi's stand to protect Mario. It's been established that Luigi's a big time coward, who even refused to help Mario fight Bowser in the first place, but that all changed when Mario was about to kick the bucket. It helps that Mark used the One Punch Man sad theme, which made me immediately think back to Mumen Rider's stand angainist the Sea King. I liked that he had an intro, intermission, and credits sequence. God, this was so professionally done. Annnnnd he just had to bring up Monty Oum and Iwata again. Regardless, it's a great start to the reboot and I'm looking forward to what's in store. Crackerjack job, Mark. Crackerjack.

Also, being a big time Smash fan, I freaking loved that Bowser fights more like he does in Sm4sh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It was pretty good. I never actually saw  much of the original DBZ and I haven't seen the original SMBZ in the years, but I remember how it played out pretty well and what an improvement this was.

It sucks that my favourite episode from the original is still a long way off (Episode 7) but the action in the new Episode 1 was pretty damn solid when it came to keeping me on my toes throughout both fights. I did get a bit put off slightly by Paper Mario characters being bunched with Mario & Luigi ones, but that's just because I've been looking at Paper Jam way too much lately.

Definitely looking forward to more episodes.

20 minutes ago, JmTsHaW said:

I did get a bit put off slightly by Paper Mario characters being bunched with Mario & Luigi ones, but that's just because I've been looking at Paper Jam way too much lately.

I felt the same when I looked up who he was but it seems to be a semi-combination of the universe. Either that or Mark just don't give a &@*!

Kinds bummed he's redoing it, I mean there's nothing that outdated about the original episode, especially when most people are waiting for him to just continue the story, so having him start from the beginning is kind of a drag. But at least we will still be getting new content within the redone episodes 

He'd been having regrets about the series since before he decided to stop it ages ago, I know that for sure.

He didn't like that Mecha Sonic was just the one from S3&K (and it was probably a b*tch to manipulate with how limited it is), and IIRC, he had immediate regrets about Basilisk.

What I'm curious about is if all of Sonic's friends are still dead-dead.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, biznizz said:

He'd been having regrets about the series since before he decided to stop it ages ago, I know that for sure.

He didn't like that Mecha Sonic was just the one from S3&K (and it was probably a b*tch to manipulate with how limited it is), and IIRC, he had immediate regrets about Basilisk.

I'm surprised. Basilisk was a great antagonist. And what do you mean "dead-dead?"

8 minutes ago, Tara said:

This isn't really Sonic related, so I'm moving this to Chit-Chat, where it seems to properly belong. <3

You got it mod-sama.

1 hour ago, biznizz said:

I saw the answer for this a couple of months ago, but yes Sonic's friends will still be dead-dead in this reboot.

Just finish watched the first episode. i laughed at some parts, glad to see some familiar parts too. man hope there a remaster about this fight on yoshi island. just please show more! Oh also i do like the new model of Metal Sonic to be really honest, the S3&K was intimidate tho too.

41 minutes ago, Ming Ming Yuigahama said:

I saw the answer for this a couple of months ago, but yes Sonic's friends will still be dead-dead in this reboot.

Aw, that sucks. If they at least had a chance at revival I could've become invested in this series again but I guess that's the status quo Alvin wants to keep permanent. That isn't to say it's legitimately bad but I personally disagree with it to a massive degree. Oh well. If I wanted something like this where Sonic's friends are alive then I can always make one myself (or preferably ask someone else to do it :lol:).

That said, I just watched the first episode of the reboot and I enjoyed it! Loved the addition of Rawk Hawk and Luigi's "go through me" moment (even if it's not official, THIS is one of the reasons why Luigi is one of my favorite characters of all time), the action is ten times better, and the humor hasn't lost its touch. I might watch the rest of the reboot if only for the action scenes, especially since Alvin revealed that he's using Asura's Wrath as the template for the scale of action scenes (if you don't know Asura's Wrath, LOOK IT UP).