Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

I stopped watching him weeks ago. He's just not funny anymore, I decided to give the pixels one a chance and it was just terrible. It just feels that all Doug is doing now is Demo Rheel by proxi.

• Thumbs Up 2

I stopped watching him weeks ago. He's just not funny anymore, I decided to give the pixels one a chance and it was just terrible. It just feels that all Doug is doing now is Demo Rheel by proxi.

Disappoints me to agree, but that's honestly how I feel too by this point. I sat through the new skit-heavy formats after the revival but only three of them --Son of the Mask, Cat in the Hat, and The Christmas Tree-- stuck out to me as really good as his earlier works, and I just lost interest. Will note that his Was That Real? miniseries is good, only because it's similar to the old NC review format (albeit much more shorter and more analytical). The early 2015 fallout with other former Channel Awesome members, and the stories behind that, has also made hesitant in checking out the site as well.

I was actually thinking about watching that Garfield: The Movie review he put up out of morbid curiosity, until hearing that he started it with yet another skit taking the piss on Jurassic World. :/

Edited by Gabe

Disappoints me to agree, but that's honestly how I feel too by this point. I sat through the new skit-heavy formats after the revival but only three of them --Son of the Mask, Cat in the Hat, and The Christmas Tree-- stuck out to me as really good as his earlier works, and I just lost interest. Will note that his Was That Real? miniseries is good, only because it's similar to the old NC review format (albeit much more shorter and more analytical). The early 2015 fallout with other former Channel Awesome members, and the stories behind that, has also made hesitant in checking out the site as well.

I was actually thinking about watching that Garfield: The Movie review he put up out of morbid curiosity, until hearing that he started it with yet another skit taking the piss on Jurassic World. :/

He doesn't. The opening skit is based around what if there was a gritty Garfied reboot

The review itself is actually one of the best post revival episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I mentioned a Jurassic World joke in it didn't I? Na, it's not a skit, he just takes a swipe at it when the CGI in the film looks a bit shabby (he's off his head).

• 2 weeks later...

It's Hell IN SPAAAAAAAAACE! As NC kicks off this year's Nostalgiaween with the questionable "why is this a cult classic again?" Event Horizon:

http://channelawesome.com/event-horizon-nostalgia-critic/

Really like the Goosebumps bit in the beginning and would like to see him review the TV show and books like Jontron and CR did.

Edited by AdventChild

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw his newest post on Facebook:  Don Bluth is using Kickstarter to fund the long awaited Dragon's Lair movie

• 2 weeks later...

http://channelawesome.com/top-11-halloween-guilty-pleasures-nostalgia-critic/

A bit late but NC spooks up a list of Halloween guilty pleasures which is a lead into this week review of...

Hocus Pocus! Though oddly enough this is a clipless/sketch review despite the movie being nearly slightly over 20 years old and not a recently theatrical release.Probably because of Disney empire copyright BS.

http://channelawesome.com/hocus-pocus-nostalgia-critic/

Put it this way. Calling that a review is an insult to reviews. That was not a review whatsoever. He literally just went full on Demo Reel and it was shit.

Put it this way. Calling that a review is an insult to reviews. That was not a review whatsoever. He literally just went full on Demo Reel and it was shit.

At least, next week shows more promise as hinted with the doughnut shirt at the end, meaning he is doing another commercial video which so far as recent NC goes have been pretty good and entertaining.

I'm not a huge NC fan, but I find his reviews/editorials nice enough to sit down and watch one a week. Heck I've been pretty accepting or neutral on the corny intros and skits, and some I even enjoyed well enough like the Garfield skits (despite how context heavy it is) and the Jurassic World review, but...

this is the first time I really thought to myself "WOW... that was bad. Unwatchably bad.". Ever since his disneycember review, I was looking forward to the possibility NC would do a full review of Hocus Pocus sometime... but not like this. I don't think I've ever seen a "review" so painfully dull, awkward, and hard to follow. Even if they couldn't use clips from the movie, they could've at least made it in an actual review format, but instead we got something even more cringeworthy than the movie itself. Pretty disappointing.

At least the Kiki scene was kinda funny... that's all it had going for it though. :X

• 2 weeks later...

NC goes back into the space in between showtimes with another rousing round of commercials!

http://channelawesome.com/conquest-of-the-commercials-nostalgia-critic/

And with special guest animator Don Bluth! The ending also entails that next week will probably be a Don Bluth movie/related thing review or most likely, more information about his Dragon Lair Kickstarter project.

Edited by AdventChild

It's great to see the commercial series make a return! The Barbershop e one was hilarious and I wasn't expecting Don Bluth to make an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So. I'm just gonna guess this is NC's big "HAHA, YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG THAT MY OLD REVIEWS ARE BETTER! MY NEW REVIEWS HAVE ACTUAL EFFORT! TAKE YOUR CLASSIC JOKES AND SHOVE THEM WHILE I MAKE MORE SKETCH REVIEWS :D"

And yet, I would still watch Suburban Commando's NC Review rather than any of his "effort" sketch reviews.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked the review. I think it was done really well, and it wasn't just a "SCREW YOU GUYS, THE CURRENT STUFF IS BETTER!" type of review, like some people probably thought it was going to be.  I never had a problem with current NC, to be honest. Yeah, he doesn't hit it out of the park 100% of the time, but I like that he's at the very least trying to add stuff to the show to keep things fresh, instead of just doing the same thing over & over again. And I actually enjoy a lot of the sketches.

The main problem with NC is he isn't addressing the issues, but just creating a strawman. The problem was never change. The problem was his writing isn't that good when it comes to sketches, and are usually one note, over the top, and generally stupid jokes that go on far too long. It's a reason why people don't like sketches when they are in the actual review, because instead of it being a well thought out joke that doesn't last too long, it's a long drawn out joke with barely any substance.

It also doesn't work when it's only sketch reviews because he's claiming he's giving us a fair review of a movie, but we can't actually see for ourselves if his points are justified or not. When he shows a clip of The Cat in the Hat saying "DIRTY HO!", he's showing us evidence to back up the point he's making. But in a full sketch review, he's not doing that, he's just making a stupid joke about something that may or may not be true. Half the movies he reviews, I have never seen but I can still enjoy them because NC reacts to it as if he's only watching it for the first time, and shows the clips of the important scenes in lines so you can still enjoy it and still understand the joke even if you haven't seen the review.

But I haven't seen Mad Max, or Pixels, or Jurassic World, or even Hocus Pocus, which means when he claims that he's telling the truth about a scene, I'm still totally lost because I have no idea what's meant to be parody, and what's actually meant to be serious criticism of the movie.

So the problem with Doug's argument is he seems to think that in general, people just don't like how he's changed from his previous self, when really, that isn't true at all. The problem is his writing just isn't strong enough for sketches. It's exactly why Demo Reel failed as well. When he does Sketch Reviews, it's like he's trying to do Demo Reel: Nostalgia Critic Edition, and only an extremely small minority of people liked those. I only saw the first two episodes of Demo Reel and I honestly was bored out of my mind.

It also doesn't help that once again, the Critic's argument wasn't well founded in another aspect either. He's trying to imply that people want reviews like Cartoon All-Stars Saves the Day, and Harry Potter 7, which were extremely low budget and low quality videos, when really, it's the golden age of NC videos that people want, reviews like Suburban Commando, Top 11 Simpsons Episodes, Gordy, and more.

• Thumbs Up 5

It comes down to personal preference, at the end of the day. I never had a problem with the sketch reviews (which is funny, seeing as how I didn't really like DemoReel), and while i do agree that some of the sketches goes on for too long, I still find some of the sketches to be pretty funny. And besides, I think he was referring to the people who want him to go back to the way things were in the pre-Channel Awesome days of Nostalgia Critic.

This really was his worst work yet. I'm not going to lie I prefer his older stuff much more then the stuff his does today. Back then he made it about the review. Yeah he would add jokes here and there random clips but the thing about them is that he was smart with those. People liked his stuff was because he gave his opinions about movies and tv shows well while still making us laugh.

Now they don't feel like reviews anymore they feel like he's making a show with the review coming second. I don't hate his cast but it just feels forced at this point. The skits are overstay their welcome, he takes too long to make his point and it's like everything he's doing is just to make the "reviews" last for over half and hour. 

This latest one just feels like a middle finger to everybody who prefers his older style and doesn't like his newer style. That is the one thing you should never do it just comes off petty and disrespectful. He really has lost his touch and it's really sad. The reason why I don't care for his current style is that I don't care when reviews add a storyline to their stuff. I don't watch a review for a story I watch it to hear their opinion that's not to say that reviewers who add a storyline is a bad thing it's just not my preference which is why I don't watch the Watcherofthe2000s but I digress. 

I don't think that all of his reviews ever since he came back have been terrible, I like his Pearl Harbor review, Turbo a Power Rangers movie was silly but fun and the last airbender review was genius. I understand where he was getting at towards the end of the review "In order to stay relevant you have change things" but the way he made it was just so childish. I mean for goodness sakes he starts off his review by "I don't want to put any effort into this review" which immediately bored me. There's a reason why he gets a lot of flack for his newer reviews and I think he was being plan ignorant about it instead of just acknowledging the both the positives and the negatives of his old and current styles he made it seem like his older styles weren't really good and his new style was the way to go. Ultimately this review is the same type of garbage the family guy and teen titans go staff would do and I hate both of them. I don't hate NC but I really have lost a lot of respect for Doug.

• Thumbs Up 7

He reviews the new star wars film. 

Edit: false alarm it's one of those.............................. what do you call them? 

The type of review he did like Hocus Pocus or Pixels.