Awoo.

vvvvvv.gif

(Veeeee, V.V.V.V.V.V., or V6. Everyone usually wings it. DIE, PRONUNCIATION COMMUNISTS! DIE!)

Anyway, it's been a while since I made a topic on here. And it would be awesome to talk about a game that I've enjoyed for quite some time now... Well, a month tops, but you would not know about that... unless I told you, D'OH!!!

Anyway, yeah. The game I'm talking about is Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV. And may I say, this has to be my favorite indie game right now.

VVVVVV is a simple 2D adventure game that's massively influenced by the Commodore 64 in and out. As you can tell from the trailer, everything about this game screams "Beep Boop" and "HOW THE FUCK WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT WAS THERE?!"

You're Captain Viridian, and Light Blue bit man who travels with his companions throughout the unknowns of space. Everything was going fine UNTIIIIIIIIL... a disturbance thrust them into the unknown realm, Dimension VVVVVV.

Everyone is scattered who-knows-where and your ship is totaled. So it's up to you to explore this great unknown and use your uncanny ability to defy gravity to venture on through literally... well, anything in order to rescue everyone, repair your ship and return home.

Seriously... It doesn't take a genius to explain my opinion on this game. It's in my sig and I had it in my name and avatar, dudes. But yeah, I love it. This game has challenge, a nice simple story from the crew and unknown predecessors, and the music... OH GOD, the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdE3n-pxF5Y&list=PL81858E87075027C3&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Sometimes, if the stages allow it, I'd just stop and listen to the awesome soundtrack. Beautiful work with the chiptune on Magnus Pålsson's part. Speaking of which the soundtrack, PPPPPP, is available at almost any online outlet. Or you can just listen to all the songs on Youtube, like I do.

The gameplay, as mention before, is similar to that of a Commodore 64 title. You move, you flip gravity, that's it. And when you reach the edge of the screen, you either shift unto another area or reappear via screen wrapping. And yes, you will never know what comes next unless you back track or if the clever level layout doesn't show you first.

And that level layout... I swear, THAT'S the meat of the game's allure. I won't beat around the bush, this bitch is hard. Like Super Meat Boy hard. The levels will be anything from straight forward to misleading to split-second required to topsy-turvy to FUCKING INSANE!

vvvvvv-disk15-2.png

(You think this is an easy level? ...You poor damned fool...)

It's trial-and-Error/Pixel Perfect gameplay. Hazards are everywhere, often taking up almost the entire area. And if you so much as breathe on them, you die. (CHECKPOINTS! USE THEM! ...or not? *Hint hint*) You may have moments when you will want to put the game up... or hit something, but I guarantee that it feels so damn satisfying when you succeed! It's the excitement you get when you pass through something that seems near impossible, but isn't!

The game is out for PC, Mac and 3DS eshop. I have the 3DS version and love it. I have the game on the go, and I can listen to the soundtrack as much as I want!

Here's the Link for the Game's Website:

http://thelettervsixtim.es/

The Steam Page:

http://store.steampo....com/app/70300/

The official PPPPPP site.

http://www.souleye.se/

Enjoying it. V happy. V merry.

Discvss.

Edited by Zen YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pretty cool game. Got it on Steam a little while back and beat it with all trinkets (and about 1000 deaths on "Doing things the Hard Way"). One of the game's greatest assets, in my opinion, that despite being difficult, it's rarely frustrating.

Wish the main game had more content, but there are user-made levels to be played. These vary in quality, obviously, but the game comes with some made by people like Notch and the maker of the game's music, plus the Terry's site has some recommended levels.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh man there hasn't been a VuhVuhVuhVuhVuhVuh topic on SSMB!? This can't do!

Man I love VVVVVV, I don't play it often but when I do? I always make sure I don't remember everything. So I learn it again, and regain that feeling of awesome when you overcome the "Hell Trinket". I got frustated many a time, but it was always something I could learn from spotting it. Unlike other games (IWBTG for example) that rely on WHOOPS learn. Instead it's your reactions that may need to learn =P

And the soundtrack <3 Oh man, Positive Force has to be my favourite track though.

Hgn I should play it again at some point, been a while <3

• Thumbs Up 1

I've played it. It's a fun game.The gravity flip's been done before, but this is the only one besides Metal Storm that builds the game around that gimmick. The music is insanely catchy, I'll give you that. The track in the first level, Pushing Onwards and it's remix, Positive Force, will never leave my skull. It's not the hardest game around, and it certainly isn't the longest, but it's good for its price.

I remember when my friend got it for the 3DS and, after I watched him fail a custom level a whole bunch, he dared me to beat it. I got it on about the 10th try or so. Great feeling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Climbing the tower with Positive Force blasting my eardrums is one of life's greatest experiences.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, Spiky Ceiling (that's how I pronounce the title), THERE'S a good indie game. Solid retro feel, simple and colorful vector designs, awesome level design, it had it all.

It was brilliant how it merged difficult classic Megaman design philosophy with open world environments so seamlessly. Props to the creator; way more impressive challenge than, say, IWBTG.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, Spiky Ceiling (that's how I pronounce the title), THERE'S a good indie game. Solid retro feel, simple and colorful vector designs, awesome level design, it had it all.

It was brilliant how it merged difficult classic Megaman design philosophy with open world environments so seamlessly. Props to the creator; way more impressive challenge than, say, IWBTG.

I wouldn't really call IWBTG a hard game. It's a purposely unfair game designed to be frustrating and mostly played to get Internet bragging rights for putting up with it.

Edited by Ekaje

I wouldn't really call IWBTG a hard game. It's a purposely unfair game designed to be frustrating and mostly played to get Internet bragging rights for putting up with it.

That's my point.

E

Exactly why I mentioned it too. VVVVVV is designed to be fair yet frustrating. Everything you die from is your own fault in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this game. I mean really love it. Such a classic.

I've actually had Pushing Onwards as my alarm tone every single morning since I first heard the track. Such a great thing to wake up to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just tried out the demo. The music is really good; I can't stress this enough.

I've been playing all sorts of indie platformers as of late, so this one looks right up my alley. I stuck it under my wishlist so I won't forget about it later.

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic is really putting a smile on my face. :) It's great to see that some people have played this marvel, and others are willing to give it a shot.

Pretty cool game. Got it on Steam a little while back and beat it with all trinkets (and about 1000 deaths on "Doing things the Hard Way"). One of the game's greatest assets, in my opinion, that despite being difficult, it's rarely frustrating.

Wish the main game had more content, but there are user-made levels to be played. These vary in quality, obviously, but the game comes with some made by people like Notch and the maker of the game's music, plus the Terry's site has some recommended levels.

Dude, I can't even remember how many times I've died on Doing Things The Hard Way. I also had a interesting time trying to get the trinket for Reward for the Reckless. It was so misleading... yet so worth it.

Yeah, I feel that it's not particularly frustrating because of the level design and the superb music. Everything about it was made so well it's ridiculously awesome.

Oh man there hasn't been a VuhVuhVuhVuhVuhVuh topic on SSMB!? This can't do!

And the soundtrack <3 Oh man, Positive Force has to be my favourite track though.

Hgn I should play it again at some point, been a while <3

Oh man... I swear Positive Force this THE favorite of this game. =O With reason, of course. It's damn good.

Personally, I can't make a decision on what's my favorite. But another one of mine is Popular Potpourri. The Credits theme.

It felt so good beaten the game and hering this.

Climbing the tower with Positive Force blasting my eardrums is one of life's greatest experiences.

Plus, that final strech once you find what was causing the interfernce. That entire bit felt like a final boss.

Agreed. Although I never played I Wanna Be the Guy. Was sort of interested in doing so.

I love this game. I mean really love it. Such a classic.

I've actually had Pushing Onwards as my alarm tone every single morning since I first heard the track. Such a great thing to wake up to.

Same here, but with Positive Force. :P

I just tried out the demo. The music is really good; I can't stress this enough.

I've been playing all sorts of indie platformers as of late, so this one looks right up my alley. I stuck it under my wishlist so I won't forget about it later.

You won't regret it, man. Glad you enjoy the music. Once, I finally catch up with Monster, you and me will definitely have to chat about this game.

I'm really looking forward to getting this on the European eShop. Might be a while, though; I gather the US version was badly glitched? But it does look totally right up my street; it's the sort of game I only recently found out I really enjoyed and regret never playing more of. So... I want to undo that omission.

I'm really looking forward to getting this on the European eShop. Might be a while, though; I gather the US version was badly glitched? But it does look totally right up my street; it's the sort of game I only recently found out I really enjoyed and regret never playing more of. So... I want to undo that omission.

Really great game, got it on Steam a while back. Never was fussed enough to get the Trinkets, but I really enjoyed just playing through the story. A true game for fans of pure, polished, tightly designed gameplay and level design.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! To everyone who has or is interested in purchasing the 3DS version...

The Flip Mode Patch has been released! Just go to eshop and it should prompt you. If not, then check your updates!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love VVVVVV, but 8 euro seems really expensive. On the other hand, I would love to have it on a portable system. Ugh, can't decide.

Ah VVVVVV... I flipping love this game (pun duly intended). It's a fun little action puzzler that makes you really work for your achievements. I swear, getting the trinket on Veni Vidi Vici was one of the most elating gaming victories I have ever experienced.

I will concur that the music is fantastic. I've always been an admirer of music in video games, and this is one world-class soundtrack. I was sure to buy the album to give the composer my appreciation (in monetary form!).

Not to mention the style is totally cool. Just goes to prove that a game doesn't have to look realistic to be amazing.

I love VVVVVV, but 8 euro seems really expensive. On the other hand, I would love to have it on a portable system. Ugh, can't decide.

What does that matter? I'd buy it. 8 euros is only a small price to pay for a good game.

Still, 8 euro for a game with short playtime and really retro graphics seems a bit steep. The soundtrack is excellent, but Mighty Switch Force had an awesome soundtrack, really good graphics and was available for 6 euro.