Awoo.

Running in the 90's

batson

Ah yes, the 90's. Whether you're old enough to remember them or not, they're a decade of foremost importance to, i should think, everyone here considering that the franchise that this website is intended to celebrate first saw the light of day (and, many would argue, it's golden age) during that time.

But especially to those of us that do remember the 90's, and perhapes especially to those of us who spent a significant amount of our sweet childhood during that decade, the 90's means so much more than the birth of Sonic. As for myself, i consider myself the very definition of a 90's kid; i was born in late 1986, so the vast majority of my childhood was spent during that magical era. Indeed, i had all those defining "90's kid" experiences; taking part in the epic Nintendo VS Sega console wars, being blown away by Steven Spielberg bringing dinosaurs back to life in 1993, marveling at this strange but wonderfull "full 3D gameplay"-thingy that Super Mario 64 showcased in 1996, laughing at the girls who cried when Leonardo Dicaprio died in Titanic in 1997, being hyped up over Star Wars Episode 1 in 1999 (and not being disapointed by it, since the 12 year old me didn't mind a crappy story as long as there was lot's of cool special effects), ect.

And now, as im sure everyone is aware of, a 90's "retro wave" appears to be growing larger by the minute (the 80's retro wave was cool too, but in my opinion it's starting to wear out it's welcome a little).

Now my questions are; 1) what does the 90's mean to you and 2) what would you hope to see become of the 90's fad, as in, which franchises or other things from the time do you hope to see return, and in what form?

Personally, i am for one thing hoping that they're finally going to do with Power Rangers what has already been done with so many once-just-for-kids-franchises, from Transformers to My Little Pony, and make something with a certain adult appeal. Like maybe a big budget Hollywood movie or one of those modern day "can be watched by adults as well as children" cartoon series.

Im sure i'll come up with more stuff later, but now im curious to hear from you guys!

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

1. the 90's mean everything to me. They were my childhood. While I didn't have the greatest childhood ever, but I still cherish those days.

2. Honestly, I know it will never happen, but I miss the simplicity of technology in the 90's. Nowadays every thing you need is on your smartphone to the point that I don't even consider them phones anymore. And the limited tech that game devs were forced to work with brought forth a lot of innovative games that I feel are missing today.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1

And the limited tech that game devs were forced to work with brought forth a lot of innovative games that I feel are missing today.

Oh God yes, the video games. Based on my own preferences, i consider the true golden age of the video game medium to be 1985-1995, in other words the golden age of platformers (it's actually been estimated that about 75% of all games developed duing that time were platformers!).

Classic Cartoon Network.

Unforgettable games.

Trading cards and POGs.

Holy shit, there was so much awesome stuff in the 90's. These are only some of the super-highlights.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh God yes, the video games. Based on my own preferences, i consider the true golden age of the video game medium to be 1985-1995, in other words the golden age of platformers (it's actually been estimated that about 75% of all games developed duing that time were platformers!).

This is why im starting to get a little pissed by Motion Controls, Kinect, Playstaton Move (when done badl), I mean, when done right they can be innovative and offer a fresh new experience (Skyward Sword) but when done wrong they are used for horribly mundane shit like DCKRs rolling, the entirety of Sonic Free Riders or Twilight Princess' sword swinging instead of just saving time and stress by just mapping that shit on a button.

I kinda miss when I could just play a normal ass game with no bullshit involved.

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 3

90's was the best decade of my life.

I travelled fairly extensively abroad, to places like Morocco in 1995 and Egypt in 1999 (I went back to Egypt in 2009) and had some pretty damn incredible experiences such as going to Chefchaouen whilst mountain trekking through the Rif mountains and being able to drink the water surging through them because it was so pure (I was 7 at the time too!) and the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens as well as Luxor Temple in Egypt.

Not to mention I discovered Sonic in 1994 :D I was an obsessive AoStH and SatAM viewer back in those days, SatAM in particular holding great sway over my imagination. I still remember vividly getting A Master System and Mega Drive, the Mega Drive coming with Sonic the Comic issues. Then the Playstation satisfied me during "The Dark Ages" when Sonic was practically dead around 1997'ish. Still remember completing the first two Spyro games 100%. I also became an obsessive Pokemon fan circa 1998. Still remember getting up on Christmas morning, trying on a new coat that my parents bought me, being told to look in the pockets and finding Pokemon Red in one pocket and Pokemon Blue in the other XD

You actually had GOOD CARTOONS on TV, Saturday night television was something to seriously look forward to with programs like Gladiators and Blind Date. I remember being taken out on Saturdays every two weeks by my father and going to the cinema or museum etc. Still fondly remember going to a soft indoor play center in Yardley Wood called "Rough and Tumble" and staying at my paternal grandmother's for the weekend.

Yeah the 90's were mirred by being subjected to negligent medical treatment year upon year but that was only a mild drawback compared to how otherwise awesome the 90's were to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Classic Cartoon Network.

Unforgettable games.

Trading cards and POGs.

This pretty much along with some of the cheesiest commercials for kid products ever.

I was born towards the end of 1988 so most of my childhood was spent in the 90's. It's also when I lived in The Philippines for two years which was pretty sweet but also means that I missed out on some stuff British kids experienced in that time and I have my own memories of things they don't know (or didn't at the time).

Honestly I love the 90s but I don't think it was the best era ever, there isn't any such thing really because it totally tainted with our own nostalgia. Yeah I think most kids TV now are awful but I'm sure my parents thought the same about the stuff I watched as a kid.

The 90s to me brings back memories of: Animals of Farthing Wood, Gargoyles, Spiderman, Hello Kitty and Friends, Pokemon, Tamagotchi, moving to The Philippines, getting a GameBoy Colour, getting Catz 4 and Dogz 4, learning to make websites and getting involved in the online Petz community, being homeschooled, going camping, my Dad's green Landrover and my mum's blue mini metro, all the pets we had, playing outside in fields, not having a mobile phone but having to make calls from phone boxes or people's house phones, when we got our first computer, my Dad getting his first mobile phone, going to my sister's boyfriend's house because he had Sky and I wanted to watch The Muppet Babies, he also let me play Sonic at his house, playing Mario games on my sisters SNES, going to their flat a few years later to play on their N64 and then their PS2, playing on my other sisters PS1, seeing out the Millenium in Baguio in The Philippines...and I could go on and on but I'll leave it there for now. These aren't in any particular order btw.

Edited by Mollfie
  • Thumbs Up 2

The 90s is the decade with most of my favourite music contained in it. Early era Our Lady Peace (Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness Is Not A Fish), Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Blur, Rage Against The Machine etc etc. To me the music brought the most for me in terms of the 90s.

Of course gaming was awesome through there too. Sonic The Hedgehog, Megaman, Bomberman, all kinds of rad titles I used to play loads of. The SEGA Genesis was amazing. All in that same decade we also went from 2D graphics, to better 2D graphics to 3D - to even BETTER 3D all within a super short timeframe. Its nuts when you look back at just how much games evolved throughout the 90s.

The 90s were fantastic and I love how some of my favourite bands (Billy Talent for example on their album III) have started throwing back to some of the musical inspirations from that time. Makes me happy.

My Soundtrack to the latter half of the 90's.

Seirously though my childhood wasn't all video games, Action Man, Military Micro Machines (bring them back I would still play with this). Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon before I got old and it sucked.

I didn't actually play video games much instead I mostly watched older relatives play them. Used to inspire what me and my firends used to play on the playground. So much to remember.

Early 00's were good then 9/11 happened, my balls started dropping and old friends became dicks.dry.png

I remember getting up to watch Diggit and SMTV Live before meeting my cousin we would then go to Mcdonalds play in the play area go see a film with my Cousin, Uncle and Grandma (this would happen every two weeks).

I could go on.

Holy crap, I was just thinking about this the other day. I even thought about making a topic about it on a different forum. Weeeeeiiiiird.

Anywho, yes. I too was a 90's kid. I was born just as they began, in early 1990. So I have a ton of nostalgia for the decade. I don't really remember the early years, so things like Sonic's "golden age" are pretty much whispers on the edge of my memory. But from '96 and onward, I have very, very, very, very fond memories. And if I ever want to relive some nostalgia, all I have to do is visit a few places.

I've always lived in the same town, you see (Same house, for that matter). Even though I'm only 21, I sometimes feel older then that. I can remember when that shopping complex a couple miles from here was just a field. I remember when the nearest dentist's office was a thriving and successful Blockbuster Video. Before Blockbuster was huge, a local grocery chain owned the racket on video and game rentals, and if I go in that store and squint I can still make out the location of the shelf that once held more Sega Genesis games than my infant brain could process. There's even a huge chunk of 90's nostalgia in my backyard. My house overlooks my old elementary school, whose playgrounds bear little resemblance to the ones I remember. I remember the jungle gym shaped like a school bus, I remember the long wooden balancing-beam, the teeter-totters that never worked, a small yellow slide, and the swingsets. The swingsets are pretty much the only things that still remain, along with a couple other pieces of equipment I never really used.

Even just merely walking up my street can be nostalgic. There are 14 houses with 14 families on this street, but of the families I remember from my childhood, only 5 of us remain. The rest of the houses have changed owners so often that it's practically a game of musical chairs. But I can still remember everyone else. This neighborhood used to be filled with kids, riding their bikes and scooters up and down the street (Surprisingly few skateboards by 90's standards), chasing each other with water guns, and busting out those dinky little inflatable swimming pools in the summer.

But if I really want to bask in nostalgia, I go to the mall. I swear, that place was the 90's incarnate back then. Giant arcades with blaring techno music, toy and game stores (Which pretty much always reflect the decades they exist in), and old department stores whose names I can't even remember anymore. These days the place is old and always feels empty, and of course very few of the old stores are still there. But while this may sound cheesy, I can still kind of 'feel' them there, like ghosts. Same goes for the kids who used to live on my street. In reality it's only been a little over a decade, a relatively short time even by human standards. But for me it feels like its been longer. I can only imagine how I'll feel 50 years from now, assuming I still live.

So, moving on from my ramblings, what franchises would I like to see come back? Well, I'm noticing my list is already starting to come true. I wanted Sonic games to become legitimately good again, I wanted to see Beavis and Butt-Head come back, I wanted to see the version of Nickelodeon I grew up with just for old times' sake. All of these have happened. But during the 90's, I had two chief obsessions: Pokemon and Beetleborgs.

We all know Pokemon, but I don't think Beetleborgs is widely remembered. It was essentially the exact same thing as Power Rangers. Actually, it WAS the exact same thing as Power Rangers since it also used footage from the same Japanese show as Power Rangers. The premise was that three kids went into a haunted house on a dare, freed a genie-ghost named Flabber who, as TV Tropes puts it, looks like a "ghost with Elvis Presley's hair, Jay Leno's chin, Liberace's wardrobe, and all just generally filtered through The Joker." He grants the kids a wish, and they wish to become real life versions of their favorite comic book super-heroes, the Beetleborgs. They get their wish, but because Flabber for some reason takes the costumes and powers literally from the comic book (just go with it) the supervillains become real, too. Hijinks ensue.

It was a light-hearted and silly action show for kids, but what if they took the same premise and matured it a little bit? Imagine you turn on the news one day and hear that Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus had a fight in Times Square. And they were being serious. At first you'd think it's just a publicity stunt, as would millions of other people. But then this real life Spider-Man gets in another fight, and it seems people were in legitimate danger. Before long you have to accept that, yes, the comic book has indeed become 100% non-fiction. How did this happen? Where did this Spider-Man come from? What would the world become if our fantasies suddenly became real?

I'm not saying it should be dark and gritty by any means, but a new version of Beetleborgs could explore these types of situations, and I would definitely watch the crap out of it.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 90s was obviously where I did a lot of my growing up. I remember a lot of cartoons and things, but there's some that are a tad unorthodox.

My siblings never wanted to play with me, so I usually hung out with my mom and dad and did whatever they were doing. Thus, this is the theme song of my childhood.

I know every episode and which season it was in. This show was the only thing I ever had in common with my mom, and I still watch it almost every day.

The 90s also brought a lot of video games that I remember fondly, but I already wrote about those for about 30 days (see my kickass badge) so I'll save you the speech.

When I became a big brother in '97, I started watching a lot of little girl's shows with my sister. Thus, we have some Barbie songs that will never get out of my head until I die. But she watched a lot of "boy" shows, too, so I ended up watching preschool program well into third grade.

Honestly, this makes me cry:

The 90's were pretty good to me, but I cried a lot for no reason. I also threw up a lot, for some reason. I had to sleep in a really small bed, and I had to share a room. But hey, at least I was born about a month before Sonc Adventure came out!

• Thumbs Up 1

The 90's were pretty good to me, but I cried a lot for no reason. I also threw up a lot, for some reason. I had to sleep in a really small bed, and I had to share a room. But hey, at least I was born about a month before Sonc Adventure came out!

You also pooped yourself alot too! tongue.png

I was born right in the beginning of the 90s: July 14th 1990...

...Well, okay the first year anyway.

Is it odd that I always switch to the 90s station on my mom and dad's XM whenever I drive their cars? My dad doesn't mind, but my mom hates 90s music. She says it's all rap, punk and techno. For me Techno or anything similar to techno was one of my favorites now.

I dunno why I love it so much... Maybe because some of the earlier 90s songs remind me of the music that was in videogames at the time? Like Genesis and SNES games? I miss the smell of SNES/Genesis cartage plastic whenever I went into video rental places. It's odd, but I do remember that smell quite well. Granted, not exactly a smell you'd want to be scented, but it's definitely a nostalgic memory for me.

I watched a bunch of cartoons during this period. Rocko, Rugrats, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Flintstones reruns and

...even G1 My Little Pony reruns on the Disney Channel. *Hipster glasses*

(To be honest though, the latter I just watched only because it was a cartoon, not because I really liked it. I watched any cartoon that was on.)

You actually had GOOD CARTOONS on TV,

Its funny because people our age then were nostalgic for their GOOD CARTOONS and called our cartoons crap. I remember questioning my love for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog at age 6 when I read people's hatred over this show on the net (The AoL ages that is). the Hedgehog, calling it a Kiddie show (Cause when I think of kiddie shows, I think of a fatass mad scientist posing in a bikini, am I right everyone? tongue.png)

Sorry, sometimes people who wear Nostalgia Goggles irritate me. I see it way too much on Youtube. I don't mind Nostalgia, it's when people are too blinded by the past and wont give anything modern a chance that bugs me.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ah yes, the good ol' 90s. A time when kids would get in trouble for playing with Pokemon cards in school. A time when kids would wake up early on Saturday morning to catch some of their favorite cartoons. A time when a little blue hedgehog stood up against the gaming industries biggest icon.

Back when catoons looked good and not like a half-drunk person drew them.

Man I hope they bring back Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. That stuff was hilarious! Not to forget the amazing Darkwing Duck and DuckTales! I wanna see some merchandise with these awesome cartoons!

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been listening to that damn 'Running in the 90's' song for hours now. That's another thing the 90's had going for it - music that was catchy as hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been listening to that damn 'Running in the 90's' song for hours now. That's another thing the 90's had going for it - music that was catchy as hell.

MMM BOP DOO DAH DAH MMM BOP

...I'll pass on the music. Looking back, it wasn't all that great.

One of the most underrated candy ever known in the 90's (practically chewed and lived off this stuff)

Hubba%20Bubba%20Bubble%20Jug.jpg

Also this:

widget_almnlpT-ncFzMnotYKsmG3.jpg

Edited by novelty
  • Thumbs Up 1

moving to The Philippines

27da8ed4e28395d1514c281347def2ca.jpg

THE PHILIPPINES IN THE 90'S. OHHHH BOY.

Because our media and our TV shows were kinda delayed, we had a little more ample time to spend in the 90's in terms of culture. And yes, it rocked. But I remember my years pretty well. The 90's. Despite being born in 1996, I was exposed to a lot of 90's shows all the way up to the year 2003, what with Card Captor Sakura, Pokémon, The Quack Pack, The 101 Dalmatians Animated Series, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, RECESS, aaaaaaaaaand of course, the two Sonic cartoons series. Don't forget how trading card games were all the rage--I still have a box full of Pokémon cards from my uncle, all the way from 1999, and yes, Pokémania did not die until 2009, when practically no one was using a Nintendo handheld anymore. Don't forget the awesome Millenium fireworks from Hong Kong, ohh boy.

Some may say I'm a millenium kid pretending-to-be-cool, or a confused kid who crossed over between decades, but I found my true calling, and my identity at such an early age. Therefore, I ask you this question: why do you see the words Pokémon in this post? Let me explain it to you.

I remember watching the show when I was three, specifically the episode where Charizard just jumps out of the lava. And yes, it was EPIC. I owned VHS's of the series, and I was obsessed with Pokémon since then. As soon as I got the games, I was trenched in the fandom to the point where I brought my monsters with me everywhere, even to the toilet and I dropped my GBC in there.

And because the Pokémon franchise was what got me into anime, I then got into art due to the inherent extravagance of Japanese animation (compared to cartoons from the US/Canada/European countries), and I ended up becoming much more of a right-brainer than ever, yet always making everything more detailed and extravagant. Because of playing the Pokémon franchise at such an early age (watching since I was 2, playing the games since I was 3, no less), I then had a goal: to become a Pokémon master game designer wanting to make all sorts of mon-based JRPG's, and this had arguably cemented my future more than ever. Of course, this 90's-era obsession lingered until now.

That's right, if I was never able to encounter what was left of the 90's...

I would be a fucked up little kid with no idea for what to do in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

If your Adidas tracksuit bottoms didn't have poppers and your trainers didn't light up when you walked, you're not a 90's kid.

Also:

I was born in 1996, so I was too young to remember or truly experience it, but it was a pretty awesome decade for Sonic and cartoons and media in general I've heard. I try to re-experience the really good parts by playing the Genesis Sonic games and watching the 90's Sonic shows, but I'm afraid I missed most of it.