Awoo.

Are you happy with the current direction of the series?

Chaos Warp

As much as I LOVE Unleashed Gameplay, I think it's time for something different, maybe something Adventure like with spin dash? I am not sure...

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the series regardless of change. To me, my only complaint for Heroes gameplay wise, was that the story modes for Team Sonic and Team Dark were too similar. Sonic 06, I didn't notice very many glitches, but when they happened they were rare. My sense of time is different from most people, so l did not think the loading times were a problem, I LIKED Silver's gameplay in 06 because it was a change of pace. Unleashed made me nostalgic with the feel of old-school beat'em ups with the Werehog levels, besides I always wanted to travel the world, but this is as close as the series can bring me. As for story-lines, serious or light-hearted/comical they are always something new to me. Besides, serious plots allow me to use incorporate them to real world issues and the funny ones (Unleashed and Colors) are an excellent source of puns and fourth-wall breaking in Colors.

I'm really enjoying the recent change in gameplay (ie Unleashed and onward). I'd like a game that focuses more on the core gameplay itself, and to throw out the gimmicks (entire gameplay changes like Unleashed and Generations) and work more with abilities that are used to sharpen the core experience (Colors did this great with the Wisps). I like the whimsicle writing the series uses (I'll plug Colors all day) but just for one more game I'd like to see a darker side to the story, like in Sonic Adventure 1 ("Away, before I make mincemeat out of you...").

Also, Green Hill Zone is cool and all, but when will we start seeing homages to Angel Island Zone and Hidden Palace Zone? I would say Emerald Hill Zone as well, but Sonic 4 kinda already did that...

Edited by Emerald Lance

Alright alright, I finally picked up Generations PS3, and I can safely say that the new direction isn't as bad. Unleashed level design just sucked noodles.

I still do have some complaints about chase sequence bosses. They drag on for too long.

I think it's a decent direction, but it could definitely use some adjustments... But it's not like I think gameplay like Generations is fun or anything...

Bump.

So after Spong finished up their questions to Iizuka regarding Episode 2 in their recent interview, It seems they also had the chance to ask Iizuka his opinion on the current direction of the franchise.

http://spong.com/fea...nic-4-Episode-2

SPOnG: Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations and Sonic 4: Episode 1 have all been critically acclaimed and generally very well-received by fans. How do you feel about the Sonic franchise going forward, now that you’ve put it back on track?

Takashi Iizuka: Well, thank you very much for your comment on the series! As to your question... there was a period where we had this photo-realistic Sonic, going to loads of different places and offering fans completely different gameplay experiences. I feel that there should be a consistent core experience that defines Sonic, that runs through every major game.

During this period, that was missing - there were too many branches of play styles and mechanics, and as a result people didn’t know what was going on with Sonic or what he was really about. I think that caused a lot of confusion with the fans.

Ever since getting involved with Sonic Colours, going through to Generations, Episode 1 and now Episode 2, I’ve tried to make sure that this question of what Sonic fundamentally is has been answered, and is consistent. The essence of Sonic is what we’ve been trying to clarify, and drive home to people. Now that we’ve done this, I think we can actually start thinking about spin-offs and branches of the Sonic gameplay.

SPOnG: Thank you very much for your time.

Takashi Iizuka: Thank you very much.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

The news of consistincey and Sonic styled spinoffs makes me very happy.

I wish everyone felt this way. But no, we're split between the Classic Era fans, the Dreamcast Era fans, the Modern Era fans and "People who don't give a shit, and just want to see a good game" Era fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish everyone felt this way. But no, we're split between the Classic Era fans, the Dreamcast Era fans, the Modern Era fans and "People who don't give a shit, and just want to see a good game" Era fans.

People want things to be consistant.....just consistant in the way they want it to be....

Sometimes you just gotta accept that things aren't necessarily going to be exactly the way you want it to be, and just roll with it.

Edited by Scar

I'd be happy about this news if I felt they actually produced anything worthy of being consistent with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be happy about this news if I felt they actually produced anything worthy of being consistent with.

Colors? Generations? If they continue to make games consistent to that but add in more playable characters and a bigger story then I'll be happy.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, if they keep improving like they have done these last few years, boost or not, level design will probably become something close to what we want it to be. Honestly, I think the boost has a lot of untapped potential to be really good fun (the important thing here) if they made the physics a little better and introduced more curvy level geometry.

I like the direction, only because its moving upwards. There is no real "direction", because as the gameplay improves it will evolve and change to facilitate further improvement.

Colors? Generations?

Dimensions?

troll%20face.png

To be honest though, I'm not happy with the current direction of the series. I'm sick and tired of Sonic-only games. There are other lovable characters that we want to play as too.

People want things to be consistant.....just consistant in the way they want it to be....

Sometimes you just gotta accept that things aren't necessarily going to be exactly the way you want it to be, and just roll with it.

...Or move on to other series that give you what you want in droves. *trollfaec*

But yeah, on a srs note, if we never speak up (politely) about what we don't like, how will Sonic Team ever know that we don't like it?

Unfortunately no such series exists, or I probably would.

Well, I was referring to story mostly, but I can see where you're coming from with the Gameplay thing.

Edited by Inferno

Colors? Generations? If they continue to make games consistent to that but add in more playable characters and a bigger story then I'll be happy.
  • Thumbs Up 1

...Or move on to other series that give you what you want in droves. *trollfaec*

But yeah, if we never speak up (politely) about what we don't like, how will Sonic Team ever know that we don't like it?

The perfect example of how counterproductive being vague is, is the complaints about Sonic's friends. Instead of complaining about Sonic's friends gameplay (which was the real problem), people just blathered on about getting rid of Sonic's friends, without any kind of qualifier.
I think this was less being vague, and more being stupid; the loudest voices genuinely did not (and do not) want those characters around, at all, and did not even consider that there might be downsides to this or that the characters could be improved.

The Modern gameplay is technically competent, but shallow and limited. That they can make a game that is functional isn't praiseworthy so much as it is the bare minimum of their job. And that they think the Modern gameplay and their piss-poor attempts at classic gameplay are the direction the series should continue in, they're condemning it to failure and mediocrity.

I was talking about more like the atmosphere and the tone of the games then the modern gameplay. If they keep the bright and colorful tone consistent to games like Colors or Generations then I'll be happy.

The tone is alright, but it's the gameplay that matters most. I wouldn't hesitate to play '06 if it were actually fun, regardless of all its other problems (not that I'd excuse them, but). A game with a nice atmosphere that isn't fun, tho'? Not worth my time.

I'd be perfectly fine with whatever the direction the series went as long as it was good, and consistent. But everyone always throws insipid complaints towards ST based on what they want the series to be, and because of that, ST change crap accordingly angering even more fans.

I mean is the series going to die if we got another Unleashed game? Does automatically adding Classic elements instantly mean success?

But everyone always throws insipid complaints towards ST based on what they want the series to be, and because of that, ST change crap accordingly angering even more fans.
How many times have the changes actually been in accord with what people were asking for?

How many times have the changes actually been in accord with what people were asking for?

People wanted the extended cast gone? The entire cast bar Sonic are thrown out.

People wanted a Classic 2D game, Sonic 4 is made.

People complained about voices, new cast is contacted.

All of those things were at some point, what people were "clamoring" out of Sonic, but now that those thing have happened its pissed off even more people.

Ahhh last time I checked most people liked the new cast of voice actors.

Anyway what you just said just pretty much described whats wrong with this fanbase in a nutshell.

To be honest at this point I say Sonic Team do what they are doing and keep uping up the quality...people are just going to be left out and that's the ugly truth.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ohai Unleashed artstyle and atmosphere.

Edited by Groosenator032

People wanted the extended cast gone? The entire cast bar Sonic are thrown out.
I already explained what I think about this one above.

People wanted a Classic 2D game, Sonic 4 is made.
Sonic 4 is not classic.

People complained about voices, new cast is contacted.
True, and this one actually went over very well, at least compared to last time.

Ohai Unleashed artstyle and atmosphere.
I'm not speaking to Unleashed until it does something about its terrible gameplay.