Awoo.

Are you happy with the current direction of the series?

Chaos Warp

I wouldn't either. That's why I said "near-constant". Regardless, you're going to spend a lot of time boosting, and when you aren't boosting, it's almost certainly for the sake of forgettable generic platforming.

I wouldn't either. That's why I said "near-constant". Regardless, you're going to spend a lot of time boosting, and when you aren't boosting, it's almost certainly for the sake of forgettable generic platforming.

I would not even call it "near-constant". If anything, I'd say that the "boring" platforming is what you are doing near-constantly (in most levels). And why does not slope-y=generic?

In a nutshell: The wrong fans are being listened to, Dimps and Sega are now trying too hard to make "classic" games, and each game's plot is a clone of the last one. Personally, I think Sonic is in a transitional state right now...whether or not he'll successfully come out of it is the question.

I would not even call it "near-constant". If anything, I'd say that the "boring" platforming is what you are doing near-constantly (in most levels).
Maybe, but then the "fast parts" are pretty much all that one constant speed (once you've got the skill to not crash). The fast parts are boring because they're uniformly fast. The slow parts are boring because they're generic. Putting them next to each other doesn't make them any less boring.

And why does not slope-y=generic?
It's not that "not slope-y" is inherently generic, but slopes and curves are (/were, /should be) how Sonic does unique and interesting platforming. The Modern gameplay doesn't have this, and it doesn't really have anything to replace it with, either.

Dimps and Sega are now trying too hard to make "classic" games,
Considering how bad their attempts have been I'd say they aren't trying hard enough.

and each game's plot is a clone of the last one.
What.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Considering how bad their attempts have been I'd say they aren't trying hard enough.

What.

Allow me to elaborate; Very recent games, not the whole series.

Things seem to be steadily improving on both the 2D and 3D front, so I can say that I'm happy with the series' direction. Sonic games are solid and fun, and that's how I like it.

Also, to chime in on the depth and fidelity of the classics, I'll just say that it's definitely more than just running and jumping, and that there's a ton of replay value to them. It's a grand combination of fun bursts of speed, timing your jumps, choosing which path to take, rolling at the right moments, finding hidden goodies, helpful powerups, etc etc... basically, there's a strategy to the classics, and they're wicked replayable.

That being said, I can still see a game as a good Sonic experience without meeting all of those criteria, but the originals are generally where you want to draw from if you want solid examples and concepts to draw from. I do love me some boosty Modern Sonic gameplay, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I think the 2D games have only gotten worse since the Rush series. Again, they're trying to be too much like the classics and fail at that. At least the rush series had flow and pretty clever level design. You could find some massive shortcuts if you explored the levels long enough. The plarforming was a lot less blocky as well. I'd just love to see a truly original 2D game again rather than these attempts to bring back the classic gameplay which still fail to deliver me the clever level design and physics of the classics. I don't care if it has the homing attack or not, I just want it to have a natural flow rather than feeling like a forced attempt.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't like this attitude. Generations was fun and good. Yeah it wasn't perfect, nor was it the best, but it was fun and it was good. We're not saying "Sonic 06 was fun". If that were the case, then your statement would be valid. Your comparison with shit doesn't really help.

• Thumbs Up 2

So now I'm not allowed to make metaphors?

No, you could have just not used the phrase "...eating shit could be fun...". There are plenty of other ways you could have gotten the same point across.

Example:

"So? People found Sonic 06 fun, but that still doesn't validate the game or make it good. The term "fun" is subjective and as such doesn't consider technical aspects and quality of design."

Involving "eating shit" in your post just isn't very pleasant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neither is the idea of people liking '06...

No, you could have just not used the phrase "...eating shit could be fun...". There are plenty of other ways you could have gotten the same point across.

Example:

"So? People found Sonic 06 fun, but that still doesn't validate the game or make it good. The term "fun" is subjective and as such doesn't consider technical aspects and quality of design."

..I don't know why you're offended by this, but..I'm sorry?

..I don't know why you're offended by this, but..I'm sorry?

Its crude and rather disgusting to think about really. Not really offended by it.

How about this...not only is the term "fun" subjective, but something being "good, Great, Outstanding, Amazing, Shit, Trash, Boost-Fest, ect" are too.

There are plenty people that never got into Sonic and call the franchise since its birth "shit".

With that said, I think we are forgetting what Opinions and Facts are in this thread. So here is some help to stir people in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpvh4lHodU

I love to say more here, but I already predict the shit that it will eventually become...yet again with the same people.

Its like a fucking pattern or something.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about this...not only the term "fun" is subjective, but something being "good, Great, Outstanding, Amazing, Shit, Trash, Boost-Fest, ect" are too.

There are plenty people that never got into Sonic and call the franchise since its birth "shit".

With that said, I think we are forgetting what Opinions and Facts are in this thread. So with that being said here some help to stir people in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpvh4lHodU

I love to say more here, but I already predict the shit that it will eventually become...yet again with the same people.

Its like a fucking pattern or something.

Are you going to teach us about proper grammar next, teacher?

Are you going to teach us about proper grammar next, teacher?

I teach logic and common sense...not grammar. wink.png Plus its 2 AM over here...I'm gonna head to bed.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Very much so, ever since Colors I've practically loved every game in the series. I enjoyed Unleashed too, but to a lesser extent.

Colors and Generations however have been the best 3D games in the series since, well, possibly ever. Colors is almost as replayable as the Genesis games to me, and Generations is just plain fun. Sonic 4: Episode I was pretty mediocre, but I'm holding out for Episode II even if it likely won't be too different. I'm excited to see how they take the franchise after that.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't understand this insistence on painting quality, or fun, or however you want to phrase it, as being beyond analysis. Do people think game designers operate entirely on whims and personal preference? Games are entertainment, games are art, and these are things that can be studied and analyzed. Preference doesn't become irrelevant, but it's not the only factor, either.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't understand this insistence on painting quality, or fun, or however you want to phrase it, as being beyond analysis. Do people think game designers operate entirely on whims and personal preference? Games are entertainment, games are art, and these are things that can be studied and analyzed. Preference doesn't become irrelevant, but it's not the only factor, either.

Well, preference is a big part honestly. Some people find RPG's very fun, but I can't get into most of them. Some people hate boost gameplay, but some find it nearly as fun as classic gameplay. As for quality, I feel we do have a good amount of it. Sonic games are very technically polished as of now, and that's a good part of game quality. Also, none of the current mechanics are outright broken.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to talk more about the handheld games. I like Generations 3ds ( please no negative comments), but I want the handheld to start moving away from the rush engine especially on the new handhelds. Also I think it time to move away from the circular boss implemetation that Dimps has been using as of late.

Am I happy?

Yes and No.

- I like that they improved the Unleashed gameplay by making the levels more like actual levels, not narrow corridors. It still feels like it can be much better though and I think they should get rid of 2D parts in main games and make a full 3D game where you could explore the world. Generations' Seaside Hill and the beginning of Planet Wisp are good examples of where they should go next.

- I'm OK with the art direction as long as there are no pixar humans, but I think that there should be some dark/mystic levels like Hang Castle/Final Rush/Pumpkin Hill/Mystic Cave or like Crisis City or that cave part in Green Hill in Generations. I think the levels are too bright sometimes and it would be better to tone down some of them. Basically take Sonic 4 Episode 2 as an example. I like that Sylvania Castle looks not so goddamn bright like Splash Hill does. It reminds me of Kingdom Valley a bit and I like that.

Now things I'm not happy with

- The story. While I didn't like Unleashed story and thought it was too childish at times, it's still TONS better than in Colors. Generations' story is just a pitiful excuse of a story. They should make stories more substantial with both light and dark moments. Sonic is a character, give him life! And life is not all sun, flowers and shit. There are more emotions than happiness. The games should get more intence by the end in terms of story.

- Characters. Sonic only is a gig pile of shit. I'm sick of it. I haven't been able to properly play as other characters since 2006! It's about time they bring back tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, Metal Sonic, you name it. ANYONE! Sonic 4 episode 2 did half the job unfortunately and it's not a main 3D game anyway.

- Character development. This is also lacking in modern games.

- Characters interaction. Same here. They went TOO far in Generations to the point that some characters are even SILENT sometimes!

- The overall mood. Too happy-go-lucky, cheerful and careless. But I mentioned that while talking about the story.

- I also don't like all these hints in games. Watch out, here's a pit and here you MUST [looks that way to me, but maybe in the final release it will be optional] use Tails and use crawl here and here use the stomp. If all these things could be turned off, I'd be OK with that. Gamers should learn how and where to use the skills in the game while playing..I'm not sure if I can explain that in English. I think showing you this awesome vid from an awesome guy why made "Awesome Chaotix" wouldn't hurt and will help you to better understand my idea.

- And yes, the handheld games should be exclusives again. Otherwise they are just watered down inferior versions of their big brothers and sisters from the home consoles, on which developers spend little time and effort.

Edited by ArtFenix

I miss the more natural feel of older Sonic gameplay. Nowadays it feels more like you're just driving him than BEING him.

But all in all, this era is the sharpest that Sonic has ever been. Beautifully conceived with a focus that brings the highest level of quality I've seen from this franchise.

Except maybe the werehog.

As much as I LOVE Unleashed Gameplay, I think it's time for something different, maybe something Adventure like with spin dash? I am not sure...