Awoo.

Sega and NVIDIA announce March release date

StitchRS

Re-watching the gameplay footage, and I swear Sonic's not gaining momentum. He just seems to stay at the same speed.

You mean the boost SFX?

No, spindash. Wich is used to open the door, Marble Garden-style.

They're using the spineffect instead of the charge-effect. Just like in EP1.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, spindash. Wich is used to open the door, Marble Garden-style.

They're using the spineffect instead of the charge-effect. Just like in EP1.

Holy shit you're right. Why? I mean really why? It's not hard to get right.

I know things like spindash sounds, running animations etc. might seem like such pointless, trivial things for us to care about in one small game but they really do matter. All we want is an authentic Sonic experience. ;__;

• Thumbs Up 3

I like how the environment looks more lively now than in ep.1 where everything looked like it was made out of plastic. I don't see how the 69 attack can be considered overpowered.

Re-watching the gameplay footage, and I swear Sonic's not gaining momentum. He just seems to stay at the same speed.

I can sort of see him gaining speed as he goes down hill. Doesn't mean rolling mechanics are present though...

Kinda wish the video wasn't being recorded with a potato that had a physical attraction to the 360 controller, but otherwise, yeah, Act 1 looks like a straight-forward first act.

I like how the environment looks more lively now than in ep.1 where everything looked like it was made out of plastic. I don't see how the 69 attack can be considered overpowered.

Because the power of sex is unstoppable.

Seriously, they just mow through every possibly obstacle. It's ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point is it safe to say the new engine IS the Episode 1 engine with some slight improvements? Urghhh, LIES ALL LIES.

It's like, why even bother to host a criticism session to get a load of feedback if you aren't even going to listen to the majority of it? Flashy graphics are one thing but I'd like to know they're not there just to distract us from the gameplay :/

What disappoints me the most about Sonic 4 is that if they ever made a Sonic 5 that actually played like the classics it'd feel like such an anomaly. Sonic 1-3K + CD have a nice progression to them where you could comfortably play through them all in sequence and wouldn't feel alienated, Sonic 4 breaks that chain so hard... Like others have said I WANT to like this but I'm really struggling. I'm not jumping on the 'Sonic Advance IS Sonic 4' bandwagon but you can't deny it feels one hell of a lot easier to pick up and play after playing one of the classics than Sonic 4 ever could.

/endrantblahblahblah

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.box.com/s...nfk467f7sr8qao1

The music sounds like this to me. Or at least, what I can hear from the video + my filtering. I know there's more to it than that.

(Sorry for the single link post; I've been trying to post this for the past like 5 minutes but Opera keeps crashing... )

Edited by Aptiva

Seriously, they just mow through every possibly obstacle. It's ridiculous.

Except regular walls. PLATFORMING

At this point is it safe to say the new engine IS the Episode 1 engine with some slight improvements? Urghhh, LIES ALL LIES.

Yep

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 2

http://www.box.com/s...nfk467f7sr8qao1

The music sounds like this to me. Or at least, what I can hear from the video + my filtering. I know there's more to it than that.

(Sorry for the single link post; I've been trying to post this for the past like 5 minutes but Opera keeps crashing... )

Oh God, that sounds hideous. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Welp, game is shit, as expected, moving on with my life as nothing of any value was lost. Seriously, after this I can guarantee this is exactly how the game will play in the final release. You gotta love the how the PR is such a damn lair.

I know Ken was trying, but it still looks like shit, and there's really no excuse for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Took more time to to watch the video. Unfortunately there aren't really any instances where we can see if there's that poor inertia drop from the first episode. That section with the springs is kind of annoying, but it's only a couple seconds. I kind of wanted to strangle the camera man and the player for not paying complete attention to the game and for not playing the game properly, respectively.

Aside from that, looks better than I expected. Can definitely say that this is by no means a "polished turd."

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh God, that sounds hideous. :/

Indeed. Like I said, there's obviously more to it than that, but I can mostly hear the main melody (I think) and it sounds something like that, so... D:

(You can kinda hear it when the guy drowns and the level starts over. That's where I listened to the source)

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like a notable improvement over Episode I, the tiered level design makes me happy and I'm liking how missing a jump isn't instant failure, as seen with the water section. That one automated section in the middle... Jesus... that does NOT need to be there. Otherwise I'm pretty happy, I just don't get it. There's no reason that Sonic wouldn't have been able to go through that loop, especially if the physics are fixed. That's another thing I noticed, Sonic looks far less sluggish. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but Sonic seems to pick up speed much faster this time around, which I'm very happy about and was one of my main problems with Episode I, you couldn't pick up any damn speed without the homing attack.

I'm impressed by the new video, but at the same time a little disappointed. It certainly looks a lot more faithful to the Genesis titles than Episode I did, but they just need to chill with the automated sections. I'm happy with what I've seen, I just want to see more, but so far this looks a bit better than I expected.

Well I'll be Mr. Positive and say that I like what I see. Sonic appears less floaty, I didn't spot any dead stops. Graphics look lovely, music is... near impossible to hear so I'm not gonna judge it yet. The combos look like fun. Seems you call on Tails a la Sonic Advance 3 and either do the roll attack or the flying move. Maybe it all depends on the button you press or the direction you hold for the move to execute?

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but Sonic seems to pick up speed much faster this time around, which I'm very happy about and was one of my main problems with Episode I, you couldn't pick up any damn speed without the homing attack.

I think you're right. I recall Sonic's first steps in episode 1 being a lot slower, and he didn't get wheel of feet as quickly.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Indeed. Like I said, there's obviously more to it than that, but I can mostly hear the main melody (I think) and it sounds something like that, so... D:

(You can kinda hear it when the guy drowns and the level starts over. That's where I listened to the source)

I'm on the verge of tears over here (no not the happy kind, the oh dear lord please make it stop kind). Why couldn't Cash-Cash do the music this time around?

Oh dear lord, they aren't going to price this game at $15 again... right?

I hope not, Episode 1 was highway robbery, and this isn't looking to be much better, graphical updates be damned.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm on the verge of tears over here (no not the happy kind, the oh dear lord please make it stop kind). Why couldn't Cash-Cash do the music this time around?

Because that would've made sense, we all know ST seem like to lack that most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

My main problem with that one automated section isn't that it was automated, because honestly I'm fine with some parts of Sonic nowadays just being cool to watch, my problem was the booster right before the loop. In Sonic 1, loops were created for the sake of showcasing the physics engine and how it works, to show that SEGA's new character could move fast enough to go through a loop. In Episode I, unless I'm wrong, I do remember Sonic being able to go through a loop without boosters or anything pushing him, and if not, then the spin-dash would do the trick just fine. Why is that booster there, SEGA? At least give me the satisfaction of making it through the loop, THEN giving me a burst of speed as reward. It's a stupid little nitpick, but come on.

Otherwise, I'm happy to say that I think this looks fun. Not quite Sonic 4 material, but fun. It looks like a solid game and a fun 2D Sonic experience, I'm excited to play it when SEGA releases a demo.