Awoo.

Sega and NVIDIA announce March release date

StitchRS

What bothers me the most is that the "automation" doesn't need to be there. Just get rid of the damn dashpads. It's that easy, Dimps.

The only analogy I can come up with right now, is that the classic games are home toilets. They're nice, clean, and you prefer them over a public toilet (Sonic 4). Now, you're not at home. You're out in public, and you really gotta go. Like, really bad. So bad, that you don't mind using a public restroom all that much. You enter a public restroom, and see that there is one stall available. You put the lid up, only to find that someone left a huge log of shit (dashpads) and didn't flush. You do nothing about it. You can easily flush that turd away and go about doing your buisiness just fine, but no. You just leave it there.

Basically, dashpads are a log of shit in a public toilet that can easily be flushed to resolve the problem. Thing is, though, nobody's flushin'.

This cracked me up more than it should have. xD

Hm.

Pretty sure this isn't Episode 1.

hahaha, Tiranno mad.

Despite the fact that this is a factual post and I'm relatively happy with everything I've seen, what exactly makes you think that after seeing such forced level design in the above video similar to that from Episode I (As well as seeing springs, boosters, etc prevalent in the trailer), that the level design is going to be any different throughout the rest of the game? Personally like, I don't think the footage made the game look as bad as many are saying, it looks like an improvement over Episode I in nearly every way and I'm happy, however the forced sections need to go and I got a hunch that they aren't going to get any better throughout the game.

I think automation should be restricted as well, don't get me wrong (though it doesn't bother me as much as others). I'm simply challenging the mindset that if the first 20 some seconds of the first act and the trailer have them, that the entire game will. It can go either way.

I think automation should be restricted as well, don't get me wrong (though it doesn't bother me as much as others). I'm simply challenging the mindset that if the first 20 some seconds of the first act and the trailer have them, that the entire game will. It can go either way.

No one said that absolutely, positively, the entire game is going to be shit, because it won't. Sonic 4: Episode I actually had some good platforming in it, but between all that were shitty homing attack sequences, automated parts, boosters, springs, etc, and just a bunch of shit pushing you through the stage. In my opinion, what we've seen is an improvement. There is automation and speed, but I've noticed that the section in which all that happens is in the upper path. After failing to make a jump, Sonic sunk down into the water and was forced to do slower platforming instead of more speedy sections, something very 'Genesis' in game design. In Episode I if you missed a jump, for the most part you'd just have another shitty automated section, but there seems to be more legitimate platforming this time around.

This is all subjective though, I could be wrong, I could be right. No way to know until we play it.

Why does what I can only describe as a rolling orgasm seem to be so overpowered? That thing was rolling faster than Sonic could run and probably is like rolling normally when you run into enemies. It reminds me of the boost in a overpowered way.

Why does what I can only describe as a rolling orgasm seem to be so overpowered?

There's a simple explanation for this.

Edited by Agent York

HO BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AS MY FAVORITE RETURNING CHARACTERS.

sanikfoureep2.jpg

Dashpad the booster and Bumpers the Spring.

Just look at all that tag team action!

Not surprised at all going by what the screens and the trailer already showed me. The thing is these aren't necessary at all to keep a decent pace. It's automation for the sake of not doing anything while the game plays for you. While I can't make out the music, I hear the faint sounds of a cat in the back ally.

At least the tag move looks broken to all hell. That should be fun.

Edited by Tiller
  • Thumbs Up 6

Wait.

The combo dash move makes you go forward at a fast pace, breaks barriers and enemies, and protects you against most hazards.

Dimps, I didn't think you could do it. You managed to include the boost in a classic-styled 2D Sonic game and have no one complain about it.

Wow.

• Thumbs Up 7

Wait.

The combo dash move makes you go forward at a fast pace, breaks barriers and enemies, and protects you against most hazards.

Dimps, I didn't think you could do it. You managed to include the boost in a classic-styled 2D Sonic game and have no one complain about it.

Wow.

Me? Not complain? You silly goose!

Because the power of sex is unstoppable.

Seriously, they just mow through every possibly obstacle. It's ridiculous.

Wait.

Wow.

This is one thing that I'm willing to bet isn't nearly as overpowered as it looks... I hope. I mean, could they really have been so daft as to include an attack that basically destroys everything and plays the game for you? Is that possible?

At the risk of sounding prudent, I'm not sure whether the footage shows how much they really care and are commited to delivering a continuation and evolution of the classic formula. Or if Sonic 4: E1 was really THAT dire. As mentioned earlier, they failed an open book test, for like what? 3 times!? But If anything, I guess it all depends on Sonic Team's decisions, which I know SoA's community team does make an honest effort in trying to do as much as they can for us to try to relay our thoughts and criticisms towards the games. The marketing campaign, however ugly, is something I can't pin the blame entirely on them; just a natural repercussion of their roles.

http://www.gamerlive...s-we-go-hands-2

Another video.

Watching. Will post thoughts later.

-Advanced Technology, still can't do physics right. Cringed at "great character animation."

-Tails seems to run out of flight steam fast.

-Barely any momentum gained if at all when he went down the hill. That was sad.

-SONIC IS ONLY FAST GUIZE

-Waaaaaaaaay too much about graphics.

Much more clear though.

Edited by Tiller

I'll just copy-pasta from the other thread:

I am so grateful for that video, because it showed Sonic increase his speed slightly while running down that steep incline and onto the water section. The only time his momentum dropped is when he finished a homing attack, but then again, it's always behaved like that. Every other instance, however, shows evidence that you don't just stop like a rock. It's great. Also, Tails' idle animations are adorable. And of course, the graphics are beautiful.

Very optimistic about this.

Also, Dissident, I should never have doubted you~

2:10: when the player dashed and tried to go the other way when landing on the ground, Sonic needed time to slow down and turn around and pick up speed again. Classics worked like that. Good so far.

2:40: Sonic picks up some slight speed when going down that incline. Also a great sign.

Color me excited.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Didn't like what I saw in the videos and I'm glad most of you now see the game for what it is - a bad sequel to great classics. Even as a standalone title it doesn't look that enjoyable. Springs, boosters, stupid level design - this shit is here like it was in Ep1. I don't see any difference.

Even IF Sonic gains momentum and rolling works as it should, there is no point in this if the level design stops you from using it. They put springs and boosters in places where you could increase the speed yourself.

Music seems to sound as bad as in Ep1 too.

The only visible improvement is the graphics, but they make so much fuss about it when they should have cared more about other things.

Even IF Sonic gains momentum and rolling works as it should, there is no point in this if the level design stops you from using it. They put springs and boosters in places where you could increase the speed yourself.

The automation is one thing, but to put a booster right before a loop... that's just stupid. I know for a fact that, even with Episode I's crappy physics, you could still go through a loop without a booster. There's no reason why that booster is there, especially since Sonic not only picks up momentum faster now, but has a spin-dash too, it does not need to be there. The rest of the automated section I'm fine with, so long as it isn't a common thing and the game for the most part is not a booster-fest, but I just think that booster being in front of that loop defeats the entire purpose of the loop. Sonic can be about spectacle, the earlier games were a ton of times, but you should have to earn it.

so long as it isn't a common thing and the game for the most part is not a booster-fest
You really still believe it won't be boost-fest automated spring spam?

I expect some excuses now like "But it's only the first level" and stuff like that. Episode 1 was the first level and I see almost no changes in Episode 2.

I hope I'll be proven wrong even to some extent, but right now I really don't have much hope left for the level design. It's DIMPS we are talking about after all.

Edited by ArtFenix

You really still believe it won't be boost-fest automated spring spam?

I expect some excuses now like "But it's only the first level" and stuff like that. Episode 1 was the first level and I see almost no changes in Episode 2.

I hope I'll be proven wrong even to some extent, but right now I really don't have much hope left for the level design. It's DIMPS we are talking about after all.

Considering we've only seen a small bit of the first act, and there was only one bit to which was automated as opposed to a bunch of other pieces of level design that I was relatively impressed with, I'm willing to stick it out and see what the future unfolds. If there are tons of boosters then shit, I was wrong. If not, then hey, maybe this will be something good after all. I'm going to continue to be cautiously optimistic, because from what I've seen they have legitimately took care of what seems to be every major gripe I had with Episode I's physics engine, so it's possible that more will be fixed as well.

Starting all over with each episode doesnt really sell itself with the offered price. I mean a full retail 45 dollar game would consistently get better, while now it's more like the bar at the 4th zone for each game is as good as it gets and starts all over next

This is the one thing I loved about sonic and knuckles though, despite it being a seperate game, mushroom hill was still pretty consistent from where things had left off. Sonic 3 was overall a pretty basic "episode" which flourished in sonic&knuckles to such a great degree

Edited by Djawed

What bothers me the most is that the "automation" doesn't need to be there. Just get rid of the damn dashpads. It's that easy, Dimps.

The only analogy I can come up with right now, is that the classic games are home toilets. They're nice, clean, and you prefer them over a public toilet (Sonic 4). Now, you're not at home. You're out in public, and you really gotta go. Like, really bad. So bad, that you don't mind using a public restroom all that much. You enter a public restroom, and see that there is one stall available. You put the lid up, only to find that someone left a huge log of shit (dashpads) and didn't flush. You do nothing about it. You can easily flush that turd away and go about doing your buisiness just fine, but no. You just leave it there.

Basically, dashpads are a log of shit in a public toilet that can easily be flushed to resolve the problem. Thing is, though, nobody's flushin'.

Best Analogy EVER! LMAO, that was hilarious! laugh.png

Anyway, even though Episode 2 looks like it's being very spammy with the Dashpads and Springs, I'll reserve my judgement until I play the game myself.

The automation is one thing, but to put a booster right before a loop... that's just stupid. I know for a fact that, even with Episode I's crappy physics, you could still go through a loop without a booster. There's no reason why that booster is there, especially since Sonic not only picks up momentum faster now, but has a spin-dash too, it does not need to be there. The rest of the automated section I'm fine with, so long as it isn't a common thing and the game for the most part is not a booster-fest, but I just think that booster being in front of that loop defeats the entire purpose of the loop. Sonic can be about spectacle, the earlier games were a ton of times, but you should have to earn it.

sigh.png

And there are many more examples, but I think everyone gets the point.

It makes me wonder what people would think of Sonic 2 if Chemical Plant was the first act.

Regardless this argument can be entirely held useless if the rest of the levels are like the first act of S. Castle

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sorry kiddos, I've been asleep and missed out on the second video when it went up. So I'm late to the party. But I really liked the second video. The physics just seemed right, as opposed to what Episode 1 offered. Oh, and this render? I love it! Hopefully a high res png version appears soon.

Rx9E6.png

My jimmies shall remain unrustled until I play the game myself.

I'd have wasted a lot of money on crappy games in my time if I waited until I played games to judge their worth..

Say we get a demo of Sylvania Castle Act 1. It's bound to be full of automated sections from what we've seen, but people will still say it's because 'it's the first level'. Yeah, first levels are relatively straightforward. However this doesn't really help us judge the rest of the game then does it. Videos are all we have.

EDIT: Oh and people have given Chemical Plant and Hydrocity as examples of classic levels that do the same? The difference is that they're incredibly fast levels that are designed to showcase the top speed of the game. From what we've seen Sonic 4's springs and boosters rarely actually do this. Not to mention, each are just one level in (arguably) a much larger game.

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Oh and people have given Chemical Plant and Hydrocity as examples of classic levels that do the same? The difference is that they're incredibly fast levels that are designed to showcase the top speed of the game. From what we've seen Sonic 4's springs and boosters rarely actually do this. Not to mention, each are just one level in (arguably) a much larger game.

This is indeed true though...I can't help, but agree with you. This makes me wish that the game of nowadays had that cool screen effect when your going fast like the Classics.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Game looks relatively enjoyable, certainly far from being shit. It's good seeing momentum actually working.

Typical 6/10 game from what I'm seeing. Hopefully the latter levels will impress more, and I like how insofar it looks like you can practically avoid all the water sections if you plan your stuff well enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just viewed the videos and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the direction EP.2 has went, definitely a million times better than EP.1

I know it was mentioned early on in the thread, but I'm also pretty sure aswell that I could hear the dying cats, but I don't know whether I genuinely did hear them, or was convincing myself I was hearing them.

All in all, definitely looking forward to the game being released:)