Awoo.

Ian Flynn Explains Himself over at DA

bwrosas

http://ianpotto.devi...tions-287551878

A Couple of Explanations

ianpotto.jpg

In this tumultuous time of the comics, passions are running high. That's a good thing. I didn't set out to violently shake-up the status quo thinking it'd go over perfectly fine with everyone. I set out to upset and to unnerve, and thus far it's looks like I've succeeded. (Some folks out there are already guessing in the ballpark of my long-term plans, but you can only fool some of the people some of the time)

As upset as some readers are - and rightfully so - I will not tolerate a total lack of class. I've had folks contact me individually who've voiced their concern, even their anger, in clear terms without resorting to foul language and physical threats. Anger does not excuse such childishness. So if you can't make your point without without devolving into profanity, I'm hiding your comment. I'll read, it I'll keep it accessible so your point will remain, but I'm not cluttering up my front page with your filthy language.

As for what's going on in the book, I'm going to have to have as much patience as the readers. I know what's going to happen in the long run, and I know how this will all look when it's finished. I'm excited for you guys, because you get to experience the thrill of it month by month. Because of that, I can't explain what's happening, because that'll ruin the surprises I'm working on preparing for y'all.

The best comparison I can make (without totally spoiling the entire ride) is to the original Star War trilogy. In "Empire Strikes Back," Han is captured, Cloud City has been occupied by the Empire, Luke's been maimed and had his faith shattered, and the Rebellion has done pretty much nothing but lose for the entire movie. If it had ended there, I'd imagine there'd be some outcry - but it didn't. Fans of the series had faith in their heroes and believed that, somehow, they'd come back from all that. Likewise, the comic isn't stopping anytime soon. I'm doing my best to throw the heroes from the comfort zone they've lingered in for 250+ issues. Have a little faith that Mobius's greatest heroes can endure.

(Disclaimer: I realize "comfort zone" is a blanket statement, e.g. Sally's near-death in #50 and King Max's dissolving of the team, but I'm referring to the general sense of "The Freedom Fighters Never Lose (Big/In The End).")

Obviously this isn't going to satisfy everyone. Some of you will take this as me blowing smoke or placating, and I can't help that. Some are buckling in for the adventure, excited about what's to come (if a little unsure). Others don't want anything to happen to their favorites. There's no meeting in the middle on that one.

I've got grand, sweeping plans folks. This just the beginning.

And the usual reminders:

- I don't have time to correspond to every venue online while writing four books, so take it to the fourm: [link]

- Don't post full scans of issues, that's stealing. If you're outside the U.S./Canada, try working with your local book vendor or online shops (or the Sonic App - [link])

- this DA account is used for following a few artists and friends, and sometimes a piece of concept art. My online correspondence is focused on the Facebook Page/Twitter/Forum/Website - all of that accessible from here: [link]

Edited by bwrosas

This....

Is exciting...

To be honest if the man set out to pull at some strings and get people attention he has done a great job. I like the current status of the comics a lot and its not boring and filled with chick flick drama.

I might start buying the comics again... happy.png

No victory is not without some loses here and there... constantly winning eventually gets boring. So I don't mind that characters get knocked around even if it lasts for a long time.

Edited by Voy-Boy

I have no idea what he's talking about since I haven't been keeping up with the comics, but he seems like a pretty cool guy.

What exactly did he do that's shaking everybody up? It sounds like it could be kinda awesome...

I have no idea what he's talking about since I haven't been keeping up with the comics, but he seems like a pretty cool guy.

What exactly did he do that's shaking everybody up? It sounds like it could be kinda awesome...

He been doing all kinds a crazy shit lately. Sally is robot now...Eggy has completely lost his mind...and I love it. I ain't gonna lie...I totally excited about the darker premises the comics have now.

Edited by Voy-Boy

For those who don't know what happened and want an idea.

Basically, Ian Flynn is the main writer over at Archie sonic comics. And lately theres been some pretty good stories which are making the characters actually act their videogame counterparts as well as give them a bit more character and we're getting some stories which are a bit more than just "YAY! Sonic Saves the Day!"

But... Some people, don't like it... So they've done what ever angry comic book fan does... they've made a DA group... like this one... The Anti-Mecha-Sally group, who say things like ""This is the type of group I've wanted to see in the sonic fanbase for a long, long time" and they spend their time congratulating one another as to how crap they find archie comics at the moment.

Or my favourite 'I'M NEVER BUYING/READING THE COMIC AGAIN!' only to then run out and buy the comic as well as spend almost every second trying to figure out whats in the next issue.

I imagine that there has been a number who have decided to send Ian Flynn letters and complaints, especially given that statement.

Or if you'd like the shortened version. Sally is a robot and some characters got hurt which now means the comic is all dark and moody instead of flowers, sunshine and people running around yelling 'I'm not a policeman I'm a princess.'

It's strictly an archie comics thing, not related to the games or any other kind of Sonic product that matters. But some people are very angry for reasons nobody else seems to quite understand.

Edited by Hogfather

This actually makes me really excited.

This whole arc may be the most epic thing this comic has ever seen.

Thank you, Ian Flynn!

I actually am quite enjoying the comic again after a long time of not enjoying it (plus Mecha Sally looks pretty badass not gonna lie guys). The artwork is super awesome on the inside (I love Ben Bates drawing it :o!) and the writing has me a lot more interested than I used to be. So they're doing something right for me as a collective :D.

PERSONALLY I don't even think there was any 'explaining' to do, but its nice to hear that the writer himself is excited and passionate about the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always find it funny how people will moan about stuff rather than get invested in a story. As long as characters don't start acting out of character, it's not bad writing. You should be allowed to take readers out of their comfort zone and see how the characters react to new, terrible situations.

• Thumbs Up 1