Awoo.

All SA2 cutscenes are canon (includes complete story event guide)

Darth InVaders

In Sonic Adventure 2, ALL of the game's cutscenes are canon, and none of them contradict each other (unlike in the original Sonic Adventure where cutscenes would show different results for rival battles, this game skips any cutscene that would contradict another)

I've compiled a list of every cutscene in their general order... (broken up by Time Stamps, and by events... with references to the Game's chapter names as often as possible)

21:02

Eggman breaks into Prison Island; releases Shadow; Shadow fights Hot Shot

11:08

Enter Knuckes and Rouge as they fight over the Master Emerald only for it to be shattered to keep it from Eggman

13:27

Sonic escapes GUN in City Escape

20:22

Eggman goes to his Hidden Base Again and sees the news; Shadow's Past flashback to Maria's death; Sonic battles with Big Foot, meets Shadow, Shadow escapes as Sonic is recaptured by GUN

22:18

Rouge Infiltrates Hidden Base

22:41

Eggman breaks into ARK; Gathering of the Dark in central control room with Eclipse Cannon with Rouge joining

11:13

Invade Prison Island again, find Amy

11:56

Tails attempts Rescuing Sonic and finds Amy being chased by Eggman; Amy releases Sonic from prison

Eggman has Shadow set Bomb countdown to 15 minutes

Rouge has 5:00 of the 15m to Get Chaos Emeralds, gets trapped by Flying Dog distraction

With under 10:00 left, Rouge radios Shadow to explain why she is holding up the Prison Island Escape; Shadow races toward her but instead winds up with a Face Off with Sonic

With either 01:28 (Shadow cutscene) or 8:00 (Sonic gameplay) left before Bomb goes off Eggman radios Shadow to end the face off; Sonic races off to find Tails and Amy; Shadow runs off to finish his trek toward Rouge

With just under 01:00 left, Shadow breaks into the vault with Rouge and the Emeralds and with under 00:07 left (around 00:04 actually) uses Chaos Control to get them out - the island then blows up as the Heroes fly away

17:30

Knuckles checks out the Ghost Mountain that is Pumpkin Hill

Shadow has a short flashback before the Dark team readies the Eclipse Canon

Day X 18:00

Eggman broadcasts globally his declaration of World Domination by The Eggman Empire and blows up half of moon

Sonic and co spring into action to track down Eggman with Tails's Emerald

20:21

Knuckles checks out the Aquatic Mine

9:03

Knuckles joins Tails and Amy, Tails realizes he can track Where's Eggman from President's limo

Sonic and Tails get into President's limo where Eggman is demanding surrender in 24 hours via communication signal, they cut Eggman's negotiations with the President off and trace the signal

Eggman throws tantrum, Rouge reveals she found the Last Chaos Emerald is in Tails's possession, Rouge secretly places a call

Simultaneously in President's limo, Tails finishes his trace of Eggman's signal to ARK, they leave just as President gets a call from his "agent" (Rouge duh)

Rouge chases Tornado III; hands off to Shadow who realizes they are heading toward Eggman's Hidden Base

13:04

Heroes reach and begin infiltration of Eggman's Hidden Base

14:58

Knuckles completes the Heroes' infiltration of Eggman's Hidden Base, Eggman Intercepts them with Egg Golem; Sonic damages it and it attacks Eggman; Heroes get into Eggman's Shuttle for Blast Off; the shuttle collides with debris losing Master Emerald pieces

Cannon Countdown 2 hours 11 minutes

Rouge tricks Eggman into letting her hack into ARK computer and detects Master Emerald (or detects the Heroes getting into ARK in GC remake) which she goes after the Last Pieces; simultaniously, Heroes have boarded ARK and realize that Knuckles has also gone after the Last Pieces of the Master Emerald, they make their plans around Tails's fake Emerald

Cannon Countdown 58 minutes

Eggman detects an extra Emerald and deduces that there is a fake, Eggman's Plan is to transport up and take the Heroes on himself, Shadow is back up

Cannon Countdown 45 minutes*

Sonic shown in control room receiving call from Tails and Eggman about Amy being held hostage

Rouge has her Face Off with Knuckles

Cannon Countdown 33 minutes*

Eggman finds Amy alone and takes her hostage; Sonic tries to exchange the fake Emerald for Amy but Eggman tricks the Heroes and jettisons Sonic out into space inside a capsule, Sonic in Trouble realizes that the fake Emerald is very similar to a real one

Cannon Countdown 21 minutes 7 seconds

Sonic's capsule explodes as everyone, including Shadow from another location, watch; Eggman begins fight with Tails; simultaneously, Sonic appears in front of Knuckles having used Chaos Control and races off toward the cannon

During Tails vs Eggman battle, Shadow confronts Rouge having discovered she is an agent for the President, Rouge confronts Shadow about her research into him, Eggman doing multitasking in his battle radios Shadow to tell him that Eggman has found the 7th Emeralds but he's detected someone messing around the Eclipse Cannon

Cannon Countdown 5 minutes 44 seconds

Shadow catches up to Sonic and The Last Battle between them begins

Cannon Countdown 1 minute 33 seconds

Tails has defeated Eggman when Sonic calls on the radio, the distraction allows Eggman to sneak off with the last Emerald

Cannon Countdown 40 seconds

Eggman places final Emerald into the Eclipse Cannon, WARNING sign appears

As Eclipse Cannon begins its big attack, parts of it explode as Sonic was aiming to do (though its superstructure is left largely intact and the what little damage is done appears to be mostly some explosive feedback - the FinalHazard attaches it self to the superstructure later)

Last Story Begins

Edited by Darth InVaders
  • Thumbs Up 2

So where's the Death Egg.....I mean Ark, now?

Edited by STrainer

Well we all know Sonic Adventure 2 is canon, and there is a fairly simple way to fit everything together, but I wouldn't say all of SA2 is canon. Or for that matter, all cutscenes are canon.

I really doubt some of the events in these cutscenes are entirely canonical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUiOlOC7dYk

Edited by Agent York
  • Thumbs Up 7

Which fight? Because if it's the ARK fight, Sonic had to win that fight in order to stop the Eclipse Cannon from firing.

Sonic X does a good job of explaining the 'conflicting' victories. Example: Eggman manages to get the final emerald despite having just been defeated by Tails.

So when does the moon get rebuilt?

Also, it was shown how Eggman snagged the last emerald in the game.

Well we all know Sonic Adventure 2 is canon, and there is a fairly simple way to fit everything together, but I wouldn't say all of SA2 is canon. Or for that matter, all cutscenes are canon.

Big the Cat's appearances in the cutscenes does not happen under normal circumstances - and would not be considered to be part of the canonical cutscene. I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about the normal cutscenes.

I gotta say, I enjoyed coming across this thread, as I was literally just about to power on a newly purchased (used) Gamecube containing SA2:B. A game I have not played since 2004, and boy, am I giddy as hell to play it. I finally realized that deep down I truly love this game and the story. Sure, it could've been polished up a bit more, maybe better-directed/more cutscenes but the potential is clearly there and that can't be ignored. Now I just wonder how magnificent a game like this would be if it were done today to World Adv standards or something.

Sonic X does a good job of explaining the 'conflicting' victories. Example: Eggman manages to get the final emerald despite having just been defeated by Tails.

According to the cutscenes, that is actually what happened in the game too (Tails defeats Eggman, Eggman still steals Emerald)

I gotta say, I enjoyed coming across this thread, as I was literally just about to power on a newly purchased (used) Gamecube containing SA2:B. A game I have not played since 2004, and boy, am I giddy as hell to play it. I finally realized that deep down I truly love this game and the story. Sure, it could've been polished up a bit more, maybe better-directed/more cutscenes but the potential is clearly there and that can't be ignored. Now I just wonder how magnificent a game like this would be if it were done today to World Adv standards or something.

Thanks

So then both Sonic and Shadow won the fight?

I always assumed that all the character vs character fights basically ended in a tie (arguably with one side coming out better off when the plot requires, like the final Tails/ Eggman and Sonic/ Shadow fights).

Still, I don't see why anyone would ever assume the cutscenes of a canon game wouldn't be canon. Sure, SA1 messed things around a little (especially with the ridiculously varying English translation having different dialogue in the same scenes when played as different characters), but even for things such as, say, Chaos 4, I simply assumed that Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, from a plot perspective, are all supposed to fight him together. Obviously from a gameplay perspective, the battle needs to happen as whoever you're currently playing as, and the same is basically true for the character vs fights as well. They can't very well have a boss battle that you have to lose. In cases where the plot requires it, they'll usually just have you 'win' and then lose in a cutscene afterwards (a la Silver's cheap asspull victory against Sonic :lol:)

Okay, Shadow the Hedgehog is probably an exception to that, now that I think about it. >_>

• Thumbs Up 1

I like to think Big's appearances are completely canon. Adds a whole new level of hilarious badassery to Big's character.

Considering Big doesn't appear in the cutscenes as standard and he only shows up as an easter egg if you press certain buttons during them, I doubt that his appearances canon and I doubt that it matters; it's not like he shows up as a main part of the cutscene unless you take special action.

Well, that and the fact they removed most of them from SA2B anyway. Or was that only the in-stage appearances? I might have seen him turn up once or twice in cutscenes in SA2B, I can't remember.

Well now I know that Eggman scratching his ass is considered canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Which fight? Because if it's the ARK fight, Sonic had to win that fight in order to stop the Eclipse Cannon from firing.

The ARK would've been stopped anyway from the failsafe that Gerald/Shadow programmed.