Awoo.

Sonic lands #1 on GT's "Top 10 WORST Blockbusters"

Autosaver

Didn't even think the Werehog was that bad on his own, but I may be in the 3% or so that think this. I see '06 and Unleashed as pizzas. One undercooked one that had the wrong ingredients to begin with, and one that was cooked just fine, but had anchovies on half of it. With the undercooked one, there's just no hope of saving it, but with the second, if you just ignore/take the anchovies off, the rest of the pizza is still very edible, and is still very well crafted and delicious, with tons of extras in the form of a stuffed crust that most other Sonic game-pizzas that came out of the oven afterwards don't have because the cooks are too scared nowadays to put the extras back in when it wasn't their fault- but the anchovies.

I see Unleashed as a delicious pizza that was cooked to near perfection with all the extra amenities that you can possibly add to make it taste even better... and then right before giving it to me, the chef puked all over it.

But to each his own. :v

• Thumbs Up 4

Thankfully I don't pay attention to GT's reviews and lists as I've ignored them for a good long time. Plus I think they intentionally did it to tick the fanbase off like other sites did over the years but thankfully they got what was coming to them in regards to backlash.

Funny how it's mostly these American review sites that love to bash on Sonic and the fans. I always thought that after Japan, North America hates Sonic ever since 06. That game really left a bad mark here.

Edited by Arle985

The critics don't like the Werehog. As some of you mentioned already, some couldn't even finish the game. Why? Because of the Werehog. If you are finding it very frustrating and tedious, how can you call this game fun and frustrate yourself more by playing it to the end? It's not even a good God of War clone!

Unleashed isn't a bad game overall, the daytime levels are very good and praised (which is why we are seeing more of it today) but honestly if you take out the daytime levels and change the game name to "Sonic the Werehog", would you be proud to be a Sonic fan with that game? The daytime levels saved Sonic from another embarrassment.

At the end of the day, Unleashed isn't the game to say "Sonic is back" although he is getting there. It had a good story and everything, but the Werehog was a major letdown. Sure, some of you guys like him and probably want him to return in later games but don't expect the critics to agree with you.

The critics know a good game when they see one. May I remind you how the critics responded with Sonic Generations and Colors?

It's not the critics not liking the game that I had a problem with at the time, but the fact that they treated it like it was worse than '06. It also irritates me how the game has been forgotten by the general public as the actual starting point of the improvement for the games.

And as for the other thing, I think the critics should've finished the game regardless if they liked it. Unless I'm missing something here, isn't that in the job description of a game reviewer? To give us an unbiased review based on their experiences of the whole game?

And I didn't say that I wanted the Werehog back either, I merely don't see him as the devil himself like most others seem to.

The critics know a good game when they see one. May I remind you how the critics responded with Sonic Generations and Colors?

There's also some who'll give a game a score it doesn't deserve just to get a rise out of people. Jim sterling's Colors review (on destructoid) comes to mind.

Edited by Inferno

I have no idea how anyone here can even kind of agree with GT's verdict. Like, Sonic '06 was a shitheap, sure, and the series has had some mediocre titles before and after it, but to compare any of them to ET is laughable. Even Sonic Unleashed, with its Werehog and hub worlds, was a fun game when it wanted to be, and had heart pouring out through its art design.

• Thumbs Up 7

I played Unleashed yesterday and have to say, I really enjoyed it. For a while the game had seemed like an un-fair boost fest, but having replayed it, I found myself re-evaluating it.

Of course, Sonic stages, not that bleeding Werehog.

My problem with game websites talking about Sonic like this, is that they make the games sound as if they equate to something like Ninjabread man - where there is literally no way to have fun with it and the quality is shocking.

This sums up my feelings on the franchise as a whole. Listening to the general gaming public, you'd think every single Sonic game in "the last 10 years" (Funny how they kept using that exact, unchanging number for several years in a row) was the equivalent of E.T followed by Superman 64 followed by Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis. Some people genuinely seem to think this, but I have good reason to suspect that most of them have never really played a newer Sonic game.

Sonic 2006 definitely deserves the hate it gets, but I find the rest of the pre-Unleashed games to be pretty decent overall. Some are better than others, but they never dip below being simply mediocre.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

And as for the other thing, I think the critics should've finished the game regardless if they liked it. Unless I'm missing something here, isn't that in the job description of a game reviewer? To give us an unbiased review based on their experiences of the whole game?

Critics have a very time-sensitive schedule to play games from what I know, so they can only play one game for so long before they move on to the next one for their reviews. It's kind of the same reason a food critic wouldn't eat their whole plate when there's other food for them to review, they take a decent sample to judge and move on to the next.

With that in mind, I can kind of see how some gave Unleashed a low score. Although I am critical of those who rate it lower than Sonic 06. That is an all time low that someone would almost have to try in order to make anything any worse in the series.

But from what I'm hearing, it nearly took the entire video game industry with it. That's a pretty major accomplishment for something to only happen once, and something not even Sonic 06 and ShTH combined could ever compare to.

:|

Reports of the role of E.T. in the video game crash has been greatly exaggerated. It wasn't what caused it, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The 2600's volume of shovelware makes the Wii library look distinguished. Back in those days you could go to a flea market or something and buy a handful of games for a fiver because they weren't worth anything. The MSRP on these games was often over $40 and for what? A game with four screens? One screen? It only took one programmer a few months to make a game back then, so everyone tried to get in on it, but the market could only support so many games where spaceships in front of a star field made digitized explosion sound effects. To an extent, the 2600's hardware caused the crash as much as anything. It wasn't meant to last that long, maybe one or two years.

Never bothered with reviews anyway, so I'm not annoyed that much, even if it is still irritating that some people judge the entire series these days by 2006.

Sonic 2006, bad ingredients and badly cooked, I agree, but the original recipe was good!

I've heard this many times, and I can understand them, but I'm still one of the guys who didn't like the concepts (or recipe) of this "pizza" to begin with.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I've heard this many times, and I can understand them, but I'm still one of the guys who didn't like the concepts (or recipe) of this "pizza" to begin with.

Well, I did only say "good", not even "great". So don't take it too much to heart. It's a pretty controversial pizza. That's why they took it off the menu.

...I think I'll just microwave a ready meal instead, going through all these pizzas isn't worth it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I couldn't care less whether ScrewAttack likes Sonic or not, but what bothers me is that the contradiction to them putting Sonic Adventure 2 at #5 in their Top 10 Dreamcast games.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/55604

To quote the video: "Sonic Adventure is awesome but upon further review, the sequel just has a little bit more to offer"

To be honest, ripping in to the Sonic franchise is one of the internets favourite things to do, and now there's actually been enough well received games to say that Sonic is improving, their days are now numbered when it comes to getting off on Sonic bashing. Basically making the last flog a good one before the horse is removed.

[EDIT: Realised this is gametrailers list and not screwattacks. Even though they are basically one in the same now. I thought all Gametrailers top 10's we're by Screwattack but can't check at work. Well either way some of the point still stands. Probably. Maybe]

Edited by supersonikku

:|

The "straw that broke the camel's back", huh? And yet this game managed to get 2nd on a list of terrible blockbusters while GT overexaggerates how bad Sonic's been.

Either way, I find Sonic's placement and the games mentioned to be ridiculous.

There's also some who'll give a game a score it doesn't deserve just to get a rise out of people. Jim sterling's Colors review (on destructoid) comes to mind.

Should I even bring up Game Informer's score on Sonic Generations here?

• Thumbs Up 1

The "straw that broke the camel's back", huh? And yet this game managed to get 2nd on a list of terrible blockbusters while GT overexaggerates how bad Sonic's been.

Either way, I find Sonic's placement and the games mentioned to be ridiculous.

E.T. is a very bad game, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't solely responsible for the crash. It was one of many. The same thing happened with the 2600 version of Pac-Man (They made more copies of the game than there were 2600s and it bombed), but that game doesn't wind up on any worst ever lists.

Should I even bring up Game Informer's score on Sonic Generations here?

There will be always be an odd person that hates a game even though it's good. Unfortunately we got one for Generations and he was an official reviewer.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

This is why I don't **** with reveiwers

because their opinions are different than mine

....grrrrrrrrr

REALLY, GT? REALLY? It's not just shitting on Sonic Adventure 2 (while showing the box art and gameplay from the GC remake...) and the Mario & Sonic games that has me questioning you, it's also having a heavy anti-"casual" stance during the entire thing (what was wrong with Frogger? They didn't mention any glitches, and it actually looked fun) and including two games from the shovelware era where 99% of games were complete shit (Pac-Man and ET) and are already known to be crap.

And where, exactly, are other games that have attained undeserved millions, or otherwise high sales? Superman 64 is the third best-selling N64 game in 1999 despite being deemed worse than ET IN ONE OF YOUR OWN LISTS. Mario has had just as many ups and downs as Sonic, yet the plump plumber isn't shoehorned in?

Thank Gods I stopped giving a damn about what reviewers think long ago.

Why Mario's name always gotta be brought into this? sleep.png

Because he's the exact same as Sonic. A long-running series that started as a 2D platformer and propelled his creators to superstardom, then struggled with the polygon ceiling before finally settling into his niche.

Because he's the exact same as Sonic. A long-running series that started as a 2D platformer and propelled his creators to superstardom, then struggled with the polygon ceiling before finally settling into his niche.

I'm pretty sure that Mario has more ups than downs then Sonic has when he went 3D.

I don't want to go off topic and turn it into a Mario vs Sonic discussion so I'll drop it now.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really don't know what you're talking about. The 3-D Mario games have done very well. The only 3-D Mario game that people wern't happy with was Super Mario Sunshine.