Awoo.

Wait, Something's Not Right Here!

Swiss

Every now and then I'll be casually browsing the forum and when I try to enter a random topic, this'll show up:

g1RD6.png

Not sure why this is showing up. Any ideas on who watchmojo.com are? And I'm using Chrome, for the record.

Edited by Swiss

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diz

• Swiss

• Chaos Warp

• Celestia

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really tried Chrome, but it seems to me as if the web browser's built-in security features have detected something fishy on the advertisements' own original websites. I dunno. I think it's pretty much safe to browse here anyway. Not received any alerts myself. x3

Hey, this has happened to me also!

Edited by Chaos Warp

Huh, that just happened to me for the first time. Not sure what "watchmojo.com" even is...

Chrome's blacklist/security settings. Someone or something on the site is linking to a website that Chrome deems unsafe as per reports from their user base.

It's happened to me before when they blacklisted UK Resistance.

Yeah I got this error when trying to view this page:

I didn't want to view that page as I'm frightened about getting viruses on my computer. Now I can't read what went on there.

Pretty simple, someone posted an image from a site that's currently blacklisted for having dangerous stuff. Which may or may not (probably the latter) be that site's fault. As a result, anything from that domain is flagged as being potentially dangerous, regardless of whether it is or not.

Images generally pose no threat, but there is the possibility of some data being logged (e.g. your IP address and browser name/version) and cookies set for that domain. Cookies will have little effect if you don't visit the site itself, and no effect if you don't access anything from the domain, but - if the domain is set up to do so, which is unlikely - it can facilitate some simple tracking of where you go that has their stuff.

SSMB doesn't allow Flash, ActiveX or Javascript from outside sources, which is where the real danger is. Regardless, this site likely got blacklisted due to displaying a dangerous ad they had little control over, which means there's no danger unless you actually visit the site.