Awoo.

pppp

Well besides the fact that this is Pixar's first time doing and Aarne-Thompson classified fairy-tale scenario, I also find it interesting that Billy Connelly is in it.

He was in Pocahontas.wink.png

I was never really interested in seeing this, but I wasn't interested in seeing Up or Ratatouille either...and their two of my favorite films. I'll probably go and see it though. =U

Aye, that's aw we Scot's dae, is talk Scottish tae everybody, even when we're tuckin' intae oor tea ay fish n' chips, ur haggis, ur black pudden, ur when we're chuckin' the caber aroon the place, ur giein it lowdy oan the bagpipes. Aye, see me? Am fluent in Scottish! Ye'll never find yersel a better talker than masel (am a good chanter tae, so ye kno)...

Yeah, wherever you last checked has mislead you royally there Dissy. I'm born and bred in Scotland (I have the accent to prove it apparently :V), and English is the main language used, and has been for a good while. In fact there isn't really a "Scottish" Language as such, the closest would be Gaelic, but that's rarer to find and is actually used in other countries in the UK as well.

Yoo forgoot aboot ya deep fried Mars Bars anda Iron Bru, ya wee numpty! tongue.png

Yeah, wherever you last checked has mislead you royally there Dissy. I'm born and bred in Scotland (I have the accent to prove it apparently :V), and English is the main language used, and has been for a good while. In fact there isn't really a "Scottish" Language as such, the closest would be Gaelic, but that's rarer to find and is actually used in other countries in the UK as well.

Ha, guess I stand corrected. In that case, I retract my statement. Thanks for being polite about it. wink.png

And just so you know (which I'm sure you do, I doubt you're the kind of person to be so easily offended), I'm not trying to offend any Scottish people by saying this. I'm just voicing the opinion that a heavy accent is a bit jarring for me to listen to, and I'd rather have the cast be primarily native American. Biased? Yes, but it's just a preference of mine.

Edited by Dissident

I don't think it would have the same effect if an American-accented cast were used to voice characters living in ancient Scotland. The accent and colloquialisms are part of the world-building and believability of the film's setting, and I appreciate the effort on Pixar's part to stick to that. All of the effort going in to give this movie a truly Gaelic feel by the artists and writers would've been undermined in a Dreamworks-y way by getting Taylor Swift or whoever's hot these days to voice Merida. xP

• Thumbs Up 5

I think the accents add to the atmosphere. I like them, but I also live in the country with the most boring accents ever.

I like Cars. sleep.png

Uh

Okay?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha, guess I stand corrected. In that case, I retract my statement. Thanks for being polite about it. wink.png

And just so you know (which I'm sure you do, I doubt you're the kind of person to be so easily offended), I'm not trying to offend any Scottish people by saying this. I'm just voicing the opinion that a heavy accent is a bit jarring for me to listen to, and I'd rather have the cast be primarily native American. Biased? Yes, but it's just a preference of mine.

No Problem, and don't worry no offence was taken *scratched Dissy's name off hit list*...*whistles innocently*

And I do kinda understand your issue with it, since hearing any kind of thick accent for the first time can generally take you back a bit. Only thing you can really do is give it time so that you get used to hearing it, or boycott the country and all of it's people (which should be no major loss on our end :V)

About the movie itself...the idea looks okay so far I guess, I'd need to see/know more about it before I could really judge.

I think the accents add to the atmosphere. I like them, but I also live in the country with the most boring accents ever.

Uh

Okay?

Sue me, okay? tongue.png

I don't think it would have the same effect if an American-accented cast were used to voice characters living in ancient Scotland. The accent and colloquialisms are part of the world-building and believability of the film's setting, and I appreciate the effort on Pixar's part to stick to that. All of the effort going in to give this movie a truly Gaelic feel by the artists and writers would've been undermined in a Dreamworks-y way by getting Taylor Swift or whoever's hot these days to voice Merida. xP

Fair point, but at the same time, I agree with the sentiments of Valkyrie director Bryan Singer. Valkyrie was originally planned to have the actors speak in heavy German accents, but "Singer discarded the idea, instead instructing them to adopt neutral accents that '[wouldn't] distract from the story' Singer added he was not making a docu-drama and wanted to make the story engaging."

It takes me more out of the experience than it does immerse me, in all honesty. :P

I am definitely going to see this movie when it is released into theaters! The animation is fantastic!

Edited by Zany Mallet Maniac

Merida is definitely going to be a perfect addition to the Disney Princess line up. And it helps that she's going to be the second "kick butt" princess after Mulan. Now if only Disney would make a Latina princess. Oh well maybe someday.

Fair point, but at the same time, I agree with the sentiments of Valkyrie director Bryan Singer. Valkyrie was originally planned to have the actors speak in heavy German accents, but "Singer discarded the idea, instead instructing them to adopt neutral accents that '[wouldn't] distract from the story' Singer added he was not making a docu-drama and wanted to make the story engaging."

It takes me more out of the experience than it does immerse me, in all honesty. tongue.png

I actually found it annoying when few if anyone in Valkyrie didn't at least speak in a German accent, especially in hindsight when X-Men: First Class- a superhero movie- bothered going all the way with actual German speech (along with Portuguese and Russian; yae for authenticity). I don't find foreign accents anymore distracting than people of foreign ethnicities in a film. But to each his own. =P

Now if only Disney would make a Latina princess.

....... Pacha's wife???

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually found it annoying when few if anyone in Valkyrie didn't at least speak in a German accent, especially in hindsight when X-Men: First Class- a superhero movie- bothered going all the way with actual German speech (along with Portuguese and Russian; yae for authenticity). I don't find foreign accents anymore distracting than people of foreign ethnicities in a film. But to each his own. =P

Oh, I'm fine with that as well, actually. Going with the original language is A-Okay, in my book. It's when they decide to speak English with said accent that I feel a weird middle ground has been hit. I'd rather have one or the other.

But like you said, to each his own. I'm not going to waste anyone else's time anymore with my preferences. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so excited for this time and the Japanese trailer was just downright awesome! The summer movies can't get here soon enough! So much to look forward to!

Yoo forgoot aboot ya deep fried Mars Bars anda Iron Bru, ya wee numpty! tongue.png

This is why Scotland is the greatest country on Earth.

I like Cars. sleep.png

I'm sure you do, haha XP. So do I actually, but stay on topic yeah?

I never watched Valkyrie, but I think I'd prefer it without the accents. Story-wise they're speaking German, right? So we're just hearing a translation of that, making it kind of awkward for them to have accents. If they're Germans speaking English, then yeah, an accent is fine.

The latter applies to Brave, I think.

Edited by Marcellove

I'm sure you do, haha XP. So do I actually, but stay on topic yeah?

Sorry Roarz I should of been more clear with that post. What I meant was that I enjoy Pixar Cars and I enjoyed Cars 2 (Pixars previous release) and I can't see everybody hates it? Also just because Cars 2 was weak compare Toy Story 2 doesn't Pixar is doomed. Critics don't mean shit. sleep.png

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this I am really liking the animation style and the more adventure based storyline.smile.png

One of my problems with Cars 2 was that it was a blatant excuse for Disney to sell more toys. Not to mention the predecessor was pretty average when it came out (and probably still is) and considering how well Pixar had written their movies since the movie, I was kinda expecting the sequel to be better. Then of course, they decided to have Mater the main character, which was a big 'love it or hate it' depending on who you ask especially if they have watched any "Mater's Tall Tales" shorts that used to air on The Pixar short special.

But more on topic, Brave looks awesome, can't wait especially after watching that clip.smile.png

One of my problems with Cars 2 was that it was a blatant excuse for Disney to sell more toys.

John Lasseter said in an interview about the bad reception that it was not the case. He just wanted to make a spy movie,so he made it.The Pixar policy is that they only make movies they want to make,and that's what happened. Lasseter wanted to make a spy movie with the "Cars" characters. Why is that so wrong when compared to a rat cooking or an old man flying with balloons attached to his house?

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 4

John Lasseter said in an interview about the bad reception that it was not the case. He just wanted to make a spy movie,so he made it.The Pixar policy is that they only make movies they want to make,and that's what happened. Lasseter wanted to make a spy movie with the "Cars" characters. Why is that so wrong when compared to a rat cooking or an old man flying with ballons attached to his house?

Nothing wrong with wanting to make a spy movie with cars, it's only problem was that it wasn't a good movie.

Edited by Jay Rockman

Nothing wrong with wanting to make a spy movie with cars, it's only problem was that it wasn't a good movie.

That's subjective.For example: Unlike most people I didn't like "The Incredibles" because there was too much action and little character development/drama. Cars 2 was mostly action,but the characters were all already established,so it was easier for me to care,the same way that I'm able to care while watching a Bond movie.

EDIT: Just changed the topic's title so we can keep talking about Cars 2.

Edited by pppp