Awoo.

pppp

I was thinking before, if this movie wasn't made by Pixar, I would never bother to see it. I don't know how great it's going to be, anyway.

• 1 month later...

New video where Merida talks about the plot. It seems that it's the first in a series of videos called "Brave Stories" :

Two things went through my head while watching that:

> Hate her voice

> Same marketing bullshit about how "princess life is restricting and Merida has a free spirit and yada yada yada..."

I'm watching this movie purely because of Pixar's reputation. Nothing else about this film really excites me; I'm not even really a fan of the art style in this one. :/

Edited by Dissident

Another trailer has been released today. Boo for the lackluster editing of it all; yay for family, bears, and Gaelic singing.

Eh, more slapstick. I'm still interested though. They're probably saving the epic parts for the theaters.

Most of these trailers have slapstick in them. Hopefully this movie won't be a huge disappointment when it finally comes out in June.

• 1 month later...

So I actually saw the movie and I have a could hints to help people enjoy it.

FIRST

*Don't go into it with any expectations of the plot. The trailers and movie uhh description are pretty much as different to the plot as can be. I can kind of see why as a movie like this would be pretty hard to market as is, but I'm just saying don't think in your head it's going to be one thing and get all hyped for it.

*It's not really similar to any other Pixar movies. It's a little more similar to Disney fantasy movies....but even so not all that much

*This is not, ~*Action Princess longing for her freedom and using her awesome bow skills to ride around with wacky companions and change her destiny*~. This is a very character driven movie and plot, with very basic and minimal slapstick and action sequences in the background. There is no big baddy (except a minor one in the 5 minutes to move the plot) and no real crazy ~*adventure to magic*~

Basically it's very different than I think anyone would expect, but I think it's also fairly good. I would give it 4/5 stars, and could see a lot of people enjoying it if they just let go of their ideas of the movie and go in with a clear mind.

• Thumbs Up 7

Thanks for the advice. =3 Should be pretty good then, at least a hundred times better than Cars 2!

But I still have to wait until August to finally see the damn movie! Why does the UK suck with release dates sometimes~? T__T

• Thumbs Up 1

I also came back from watching the film. Maybe I was expecting something else going into it, like Pelly said, but really, uh, I actually didn't enjoy it too much. I thought the plot was fairly generic, and very safe. It was heartwarming, it had heart, but I think the movie had to be longer, it was rushed.

I.. really don't know what to think. I have to think about it more, but so far, it looks like a 2.5/5 for me.

I'm going to see this with my (relationship on the rocks) girlfriend this weekend. I used to tell her she looks like Kelly Macdonald. Pixar is great but I don't usually rush to see their movies. I guess I'll post a review here tomorrow?

Edited by American Ristar

I also came back from watching the film. Maybe I was expecting something else going into it, like Pelly said, but really, uh, I actually didn't enjoy it too much. I thought the plot was fairly generic, and very safe. It was heartwarming, it had heart, but I think the movie had to be longer, it was rushed.

I.. really don't know what to think. I have to think about it more, but so far, it looks like a 2.5/5 for me.

Haha I think the idea of the plot could be kinda generic, but the execution is pretty much as different as anything I've seen.

But with me, I've pretty much learned to erase any expectation I have with movies (espcially pixar/disney/dreamworks/animated) from trailers and the like, as I'm found them to always be pretty bad. In a movie like Brave though, I could see this as /really/ throwing off your enjoyment of the film though.

Thanks for the advice. =3 Should be pretty good then, at least a hundred times better than Cars 2!

But I still have to wait until August to finally see the damn movie! Why does the UK suck with release dates sometimes~? T__T

Remember the bear that was in the initial trailer? Well, he's the villain in the plot, described by Pixar execs as the Moby Dick of land.

And somehow there were a few points in the film that reminded me of other Disney movies, such as the witch being a benevolent version of Ursula, the fishing scene looking kinda like one part in Mulan where she caught Yao's foot and the Welcome sequence in Brother Bear, and of course the 4-for-1 ursine transformation.

I don't get this, ESPECIALLY with Pixar films, since it seems an awful lot of countries that don't speak English are getting the film before us. It's always the same with Pixar films. And even Scotland gets it two weeks before!

It's because in England, schools don't finish until late July. They get their most of their money from moms with kids. That is what they did with Toy Story 3, and I'm sure they did the same for Cars 2 and now Brave.

Saw the film yesterday.

Really liked it. Made me cry at a certain scene.

The relationship between Merida and her mom is what really made this movie for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw it yesterday with my family at the Modesto Brenden Theaters in 3D. The visuals and artwork were top-notch in my opinion. Of course that being with the fact that Pixar revamped/rewrote their program software for the first time in 25 years.

Now the story was very good as well. I understand some have a mix reaction to it, but for me, I thought it worked out well. I mean after the

Mother's transformation into a bear, (by the way, did it seem when she was under the sheets, that besides the odd shapes her transformation was causing on the outside (viewer angle) of the sheets, that for a brief moment, it seem that she kinda of melted underneath, out of her clothes)

, it flowed very smoothly the rest of the way.

I mean the one thing in my opinion, that kept me and my family's intugie was how Merida and her Mother were fighting

mentally from allowing the Bear personality from taking over the Mother's Human personality

and also learning that spell/transformation had been done before to a King from the story Merida's Mother told her of.

In closing, it's really worth a watch, once in 3D and a second time in 2D.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

Go check it out!

Edited by bwrosas

After reading about the 'surprising depth' to the movie, I'd hoped Brave might break away from the norm for animated films. Unfortunately reviews suggest that this was not executed as well as Pixar's other movies which is quite a disappointment. I have to wonder how 'creative disagreements' and the change of directors affected the film, and if Brenda Chapman's original vision of the story would either have been the right course to take after all or if it brought problems that plagued it throughout production. I just hope this reaction doesn't deter them entirely from attempting something less 'typically Pixar' again.

That said I'll have to wait and see what I think for myself. Bloody August release. =P

Edited by Lungo

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the film earlier today. While it was an enjoyable film, I felt it wasn't as great as some of Pixar's previous films. The animation itself was fantastic and they presented the characters well. I really liked the presentation of the relationship between the main character and her mother as well. I agree with Pelly though, the movie is very different from how the trailers make it out to be. All in all, it's an enjoyable film.

• 3 weeks later...

Big bump alert, but I finally got around to seeing Brave with a friend yesterday, and after mulling over it a bit I've found I liked it a lot. Not loved, but really, really liked it.

First, this is a beautiful movie, par for the course for Pixar. The ancient Scottish Highland aesthetic is carried through everything from the landscapes and environments to the castle and set design to the Scottish jargon to the music and hymns. Nothing's out of place, a huge leg up on its supposed DreamWorks counterpart How to Train Your Dragon. But where it really shines is the character animation. There's some brilliant character acting going on, best seen when Queen Elinor tries to keep her royal composure within her new bear body. Tons of slapstick a la Ratatouille and really funny pantomime; these bits are some of the best parts of the movie.

But it's a small movie, much smaller than the trailers suggest, and so a double-edged sword. It's mostly an adorable parable about mother-daughter relationships threatened by different generational definitions of womanhood and a resulting lack of communication, of which both Elinor and Merida grow from. It's very poignant, probably more so for the mothers and daughters in the audience who love each other but have nonetheless dealt with this general conflict, and in the end so sweet and heartfelt that you'd be hard-pressed to hate it.

This conflict alone supports the movie well, but the external forces surrounding them are paltry in scope which doesn't allow Merida and Elinor's trials to shine even brighter by comparison. The "chaos in the kingdoms" is merely just the lords being stalled by King Fergus' terrible entertainment. The legends Elinor discusses- which are actually relevant to the plot- and the magical elements aren't expanded upon much; just enough to create a serviceable story. Brave is very tight and brisk, but the trailers paint a picture with a much wider scope and this could prove disappointing.

One thing I found excessively flawed is that a lot of the morals and plot twists seemed telegraphed, the most blatant example being with Mor'Du. The moment you understand that the broken tablet references the tapestry is the moment Merida blurts it out, which is frustrating because it smacks of unnecessary reiteration and being talked down to. The imagery alone served the story perfectly, and to hear it spelled out like that took me out of the experience.

I am also still trying to figure out how "Brave" was a better title than "The Bear and the Bow" when I cannot figure out how the theme of bravery is carried through the film in any thematically-important manner.

But all in all, I found a lot more to like than to pick at. The story is for the most part well-told, it's adorable and sweet, the animation and aesthetic is top-notch, and it has some nice plot twists here and there. The misleading scope presented by the trailer and dialogue more explanatory than I would've liked mar the experience a little, but all in all Brave is still a good movie. I commend Pixar.

If Nepenthe liked it a lot, i'll probably love it since she's hard to satisfy, or at least that's the impression i get of you Nepenthetongue.png

Ha; as much as I've been over in my thread defending and talking good about DreamWorks' films, I don't think I'm terribly difficult to satisfy. But Pixar does good work in general, so I think you and most others will enjoy Brave to some degree. I certainly did; I even have the itch to see it again.