Awoo.

Tylky

6126NgCyvuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sonic Classic Collection, yet another compilation.

But, it's for the Nintendo DS. So you play this game anywhere you like? All four games and two lock-ons? Sounds too good to be true. I've checked out the info on the Sonic Retro wiki and there's a few minor bugs here and there, but nothing that would ruin the gameplay as a whole.

I was in HMV today, picking it up and wondering whether to buy it or not, had a quick glance at the back, everything seems fine. But then I notice one thing.

sonic_classic_collection_backcover_large_dl4nFVhlCF5tYa2.jpg

Looking at the screenshot for Sonic & Knuckles, I notice Knuckles following Sonic. Clearly, these four games have simply been emulated, not actually been edited to allow this to happen. I mean sure, it's a simple error on their end when they produced this image, but what caused them to make it visible?

Knuckles follows or leads no one in these games, he's a single character. Were they hoping to take it one step further by allowing Knuckles to follow/lead, but didn't have enough time to meet the deadline for this?

Personally though, I think I'm looking too much into this.

Edited by Tylky

Each screenshot showcases all playable characters in the respective game. Since there wasn't a clear opportunity to take a picture of Sonic and Knuckles together in Mushroom Hill, they just Photoshopped it.

There isn't that much to it, really. They coulda done this, though:

sk-mhz-point5img1.png

• Thumbs Up 5

It's a cheap mock up shot. If you look at the full version, you'll notice Sonic is missing his back ear. In fact, the S3 image is also a mock up of the opening cutscene. God knows why they made mock-ups rather that used real screens. Futhermore, the actual game is a lot more squashed than those pictures, which are in the original size.

Bullshots for reference:

sonic-classic-collection-20091201013449678_640w.jpg

sonic-classic-collection-20091201013450912_640w.jpg

Aaaand how the game actually looks:

sonic-classic-collection-20100305060758152_640w.jpg

Edited by HYDROCITEE

When I first heard that they were porting the original games to the DS I was so excitely I actually created a countdown until the day it was being released in the UK (fact).

When I got the game I developed an instant love for Sonic 2 but I found Sonic 3 really hard (mostly because of the special stages).

For those of you who have played the original games on the Mega Drive how does this port compare to the originals?

Music is clearer, voices in particular being much more so.

Everything else is worse. The graphics are squished down to fit the lower resolution and lose a lot of the finer details in the process. Slowdown everywhere. None of the D-Pads in the DS family (I haven't played it on the 3DS, so I may be wrong about that one) or the buttons are particularly conducive to playing the games. Nintendo pulled the dick move of making it a DSi game without labeling it as such, so it was region locked and people didn't find out until after the fact. And the start button being mapped to the touch screen is fucking stupid, because the game recognizes that you are pressing it in menus and such but till only accepts inputs from the touch screen when in game.

Still, other than the idiocy with the pause button, there's nothing really that wrong with it, and it is a decent enough collection even if it is a bit sparse.

Edited by Tornado

When I first heard that they were porting the original games to the DS I was so excitely I actually created a countdown until the day it was being released in the UK (fact).

When I got the game I developed an instant love for Sonic 2 but I found Sonic 3 really hard (mostly because of the special stages).

For those of you who have played the original games on the Mega Drive how does this port compare to the originals?

Noticeable frame rate drops, speed shoes raise the pitch rather than the speed of the music, visual layering issues happen randomly (Sonic walking in front of a wall instead of behind it), S3K special stages don't scroll properly and the electric ball bonus stage in 3K has a glitched BG (it's full of black squares). And that's all on top of the screen being shorted horizontally and squashed vertically. On a DS/DS Lite, it's nigh-unplayable a lot of the time. Especiall Angel Island, the framrate is horrendous. On an i/3DS it runs pretty much fine.

It's a piece of shit. Quality and playability are not good trade-offs for portability.

I have it and play it on my DS Phat (Yes, I've never upgraded) and it runs pretty good for me, a couple of framerate drops here and there, but didn't distract me from having fun with it.

Course, if you can find enjoyment out of playing Sonic the Hedgehog: Genesis on the GBA, then you can pretty much have fun with any game. :)

And if I was to complain about the smaller sprites, I'd might aswell start being picky about every other detail, but the smaller sprites dont bug me, when I was playing, I'd barely notice.

I got it for £15 which was worth every penny in my book, if your getting it for cheaper, I definetly reccomend it! :D

I still say Classic Collection is pretty good for what it is, really. Portability is a huge plus, and personally I didn't find anything that horrifically wrong with it. Sure, there were the graphical glitches and frame rate issues, but they never really affected the games to a point where it took away from their overall playability. Sure, they could have been better, but they were far from bad.

I do kinda wish they'd bring S3&K to iOS, though. Sure, playing with a proper D-Pad and buttons will always beat touch controls hands down, but you can't argue with the convenience of iOS; having lots of games with you at once, without having to carry a bunch of cartridges around. Wanna play Sonic 1? No problem. Sonic 2? Sure, it's all on the same device. On the other hand, prior to the iOS versions, if I ever wanted to play the classics on the go, at the very least I had to carry the cartridge with me.

I bring my 3DS everywhere, so it's not an issue of not having that with me, but at the same time, it can only hold one cartridge. It's bringing multiple cartridges around with you on a regular basis when it starts to become a pain (thus I don't really do it much, since I don't want to risk losing them).

I'm starting to think compilations in the Sonic franchise is starting to become pointless.

How many times do you have to own Sonic 1?

Anyway, this is one of the better compilations.

I'm starting to think compilations in the Sonic franchise is starting to become pointless.

All these shoddy rereleases are pointless. They're the same few games poorly ported/emulated on to systems that already have them. SCC gets let off the hook for being on a handheld console (and SCD 2011 for being much improved). It's still one of the worse ports though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got it on DS it's okay I guess the graphics aren't that great, it plays slower than MC and the originals but still it's decent not that great but it's not terrible either. One thing I really don't like is how they added a pause button to the touch screen instead of just using the start button as a pause button on the DS it's so annoying because I kept forgetting you had to tap/press the pause and not the start button which sometimes costs me lives never got used to that. o_o

Edited by C.J

I had it (and experienced that stupid region lock problem), and remember specifically the background issues in the electrical ball special stage in S3&K. I would like to pick it up again if I can find it on the cheap, but I'm not rushing out to get it.

It's ok, but there's slowdown, and whoever decided to map the pause button to the touchscreen should have gotten fired.

Never played it, but from what I've read it's a half-assed port. In addition to the problems the ports have that Tornado and HYDROCITEE mentioned; some of the original content of the games was removed. Some of the original cheats, gameplay modes (multiplayer, Sonic 2's level select screen and options screen), and even one of the lock-on games (Blue Sphere) were either removed or rendered defunct. Also, aside from the games themselves, there is little content on the game. Just 30 pieces of artwork (already seen in Jam and Gems Collection) and the credits. They could had put in the spinoff Genesis games (Dr. Robotnik's MBM, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball come to mind) or the non-Genesis Sonic games (the GG/MS Sonic games, Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, etc.), or they could had added some extra content to the original games that they couldn't/didn't do (well) before (Tails/Knuckles in Sonic 1, online multiplayer, difficulty modes, etc).

I dunno, it's like the quality of the ports done by Sega/Sonic Team started to drop after the porting disaster that was Sonic GBA.

Edited by Zinos

Keep in mind that Classic Collection wasn't a port. It was a DS homebrew emulator that Sega paid the developer to make official, and the only real things done to the ROMs is some optimization (sound, mostly. The music isn't emulated off the ROM. It is played in real time) so they would run better.

Just as an FYI.

How many times do you have to own Sonic 1?

Anyway, this is one of the better compilations.

Hey, the more often Sega re-releases those old games, the more kids will get the opportunity to play them and grow up with them. That's a good enough reason for me!

• Thumbs Up 3

I heard that the regional lock out was a problem in New Zealand, something like the DSi's were for one region but the games were for another.