Awoo.

The Hunger Games

Rinzler

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

Topic title says it all. Feel free to dicuss any Hunger Games related media.

The book is set about a hundred years in the future after a (presumed) nuclear war. A nation called Panem arises and is spilt into 12 districts with the Capitol in control. As punishment for the districts' rebellion about 75 years before the first book the Capitol demands one boy and girl from each district to essentially fight to the death. The trilogy (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay) is about Katniss Everdeen and how she deals with this situation.

Edited by Deception Riders

No offense to the OP, but that's a really weak opening post, Especially for something like a book series where there's a plot, characters, and the rest that many people don't know about. You kinda just threw the movie trailer at us despite the title being about the series in total.

As for The Hunger Games, I haven't really read the books or anything, so I can't say too much about it, but I know a lot of people who are absolutely in love with this series. I was planning to getting around to reading it soon, it's about time I find another good book to spend some time with anyhow. It does look really interesting to me.

Is it all actually any good? I'm wondering if it's just some fad that's erupted over something mediocre, or if it's actually the real deal.

Is it all actually any good? I'm wondering if it's just some fad that's erupted over something mediocre, or if it's actually the real deal.

I read the first book a few years ago, and really liked it. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was legitimately good. I ordered the second from the library, but had to return it before I could get more than halfway through; and ended up never reading it again.

They aren't bad books by any means, but they're grossly overrated at the moment, if you ask me.

Well I personally can't stand reading. School assignments have made me absolutely loathe reading for the most part, usually because it involves constantly stopping to write analysis instead of just trying to enjoy the book. Despite this, I really loved the Hunger Games. I've yet to read the second two, but the first one really captivated me. Probably my favorite book at the moment. It definitely made me care about what happened to the characters, and I'd be lying if I said it never surprised me. All in all I really enjoyed it despite my usual hate for reading. I'd recommend it, but if you're interested, read it now before the movie makes the love/hype go even higher. As awesome as it is, too much hype can ruin just about anything.

I'll probably read the others eventually, but I'm not in a huge rush because the general consensus is that they aren't as good as the first.

Btw, I hate Katniss. She's another Bella where you have to fill her shoes except more of bitch. She's so slow sometimes it's frustrating.

I've only read the first Twilight, but I fail to see how Katniss is any worse than Bella. Bella is pretty much a damsel in distress and a catalyst for other events, while Katniss is a lot more independent (and at least her romance doesn't dominate the book).

I'm considering reading it. The movie looks pretty interesting, and my mom and sisters love this book.

The only thing keeping me from reading this series is my youngest sister, who's so obsessed with this book, she's pretty much the Hunger Games equivalent of a Twilight fangirl, squeeing over characters and laughing obnoxiously at very bad mini-memes among the fanbase. It makes me want to not like the series, just to spite her. If she saw this topic right now, she'd be screaming her head off at what you guys are saying.

Nobody said anything too bad, a few called it overrated, but my sister is just that kind of fan, and has an incredibly short fuse as well.

In all seriousness though I'll probably watch the movie with my family. I'll read the book once the hype dies down. (In other words, when my sister stops being such an obnoxious fangirl.)

Edited by Wayward Vagabond

I heard its a good book and such thing but I'm fearing that it will be ruined by the twilight fangirls shitstorm when the movie comes out

She can't decide between two boys (like Bella). She pretty much lets the revolution happen to her without an active mind at all (like how Bella deals with her problems), she's manipulated by both sides here and there, and only makes sacrifices for her sister (like Bella does for Edward). She's like Bella because the author made her a 'fill in her shoes' character where she pretty much has no personality.

She might be able to shoot an arrow, but she seems pretty damselly to me.

Yeah, but who reads the books for the romance :V?

Also, the revolution happens so fast after what happens near the end of the second book. It's human instinct that you can't really have a very active mind when something goes by so fast. And, the thing about her sister is that she's growing up, so Katniss wants her to actually HAVE a life. That's why she protected her. She was only like, what, 12 in the first book? She'd die on the first day, if not the first hour alone as she has no fighting abilities or training. Again, it's kinda human instinct to protect a loved one, especially a family member.

I mean, the Hunger Games isn't the greatest series I've ever read in a LONG shot, but, it's not horrible either. I personally found the battles to be the reason why I read the books, and judging by the movie, the environments and battles and everything will be absolutely eye-candy.

I heard its a good book and such thing but I'm fearing that it will be ruined by the twilight fangirls shitstorm when the movie comes out

It was already ruined once people learned Stephene Myers read the first book and LOVED it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really enjoyed series not the greatest but still a favorite though there is something about the third book that makes me think of it as rushed.

I have also been looking forward to movie at least when I remember there is one coming out.

I was gonna see this with a good friend of mine on March 23. Sadly, he doesn't have any money. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go to the theatre and watch it.

She can't decide between two boys (like Bella). She pretty much lets the revolution happen to her without an active mind at all (like how Bella deals with her problems), she's manipulated by both sides here and there, and only makes sacrifices for her sister (like Bella does for Edward). She's like Bella because the author made her a 'fill in her shoes' character where she pretty much has no personality.

She might be able to shoot an arrow, but she seems pretty damselly to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

Most likely because Twilight is one of the most popular YA series we've ever had? Tons of YA books are compared to Twilight.

YA? I don't follow you? huh.png

Sorry, young adult (YA) is the term used to cover books aimed at the 12+ age group (though the age bracket can vary depending on publishers or where bookshops want to place things). I forgot that not everyone knows what YA stands for >_<

Edited by Mollfie

It's kinda hard to believe this series is for ages 12+ though. ESPECIALLY the third book. Good god..........

It's kinda hard to believe this series is for ages 12+ though. ESPECIALLY the third book. Good god..........

Edited by Mollfie

Wow, haven't posted here in a while...

Anyway, I recently decided to partake in the hunger game festivities and have currently made my way through first two books and more than halfway through the last. They're definitely an easy read, but are also quite the page turners. I do see the similarities between twat-light and this series, especially in the love triangles. However I think that Hunger Games pulled it off a lot better and created more realistic relationships.

I think it's a great book for young readers, especially those who usually don't read at all. It's relates younger audiences with Katniss' first person pov, but also delves into some adult issues.

I'm pretty anxious about the movie this weekend. I think that this is a very interesting world, especially with how the capital is portrayed in book and I'm excited to see how it will be visualized on the big screen. Also hoping for good reviews and no shirtless twit-light acting.

-Jedidude

I am really interested in how violent it will be in the film, considering that if they did it realistically it would push it up to a 15 (or maybe even an 18?) and therefore shut out a huge chunk of the fanbase. I also wonder how well Katniss will be portrayed seeing as she manipulates the audience, which as a reader we know she's doing on purpose so she has a chance to survive, because we are in her head, but in a film that's much harder to portray.

Edited by Decepticon Riders

Well I just finished the last book. It was definitely an interesting way to end the series, but I think the message came across quite well. Although I do see how people are concerned about the violence and how the movies will treat that. If they showed everything in the last book the movie without a doubt would have an R rating. However I think that the PG13 rating will be pushed to it's very limit to include as much from the book as it can. The rating has to stay below and R obviously to include the age demographic the books were aimed towards.

One of my favorites movies is Battle Royale, and my question is for those who have seen battle royale (or read the novel) how is this series different? I'm not trying to cause conflict or put one series down, really just curious.

Katniss is a strong, active character. She is literally fighting for her life throughout The Hunger Games. Katniss is tough, intelligent, resourceful and a rule-breaker. Bella is passive for the most part, though she has her moments. Katniss is a strong character in many ways, she's physically and mentally strong but also politically engaged, independent and for once she isn't a girl who is obsessing over boys. Yes there is a love triangle but that isn't the focus of the books. The Hunger Games is about power not love.

Buy why even compare them? They're two different characters, in two different stories and settings, created by two different authors.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the books translate into film.

I love you, Mollfie, but Bella is nothing but a blank slate that is so hopelessly in love with her boyfriend. She is a shallow, empty fucking character that only loves him because "he is beautiful" while she is "just a normal girl." As much as you hate nice guys who complain about girls going after douchebags, Bella is pretty much that shallow interpretation except it reeks of Stockholm and helplessness that is damn near misogynistic. She is a damn insult.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 4

One of my favorites movies is Battle Royale, and my question is for those who have seen battle royale (or read the novel) how is this series different? I'm not trying to cause conflict or put one series down, really just curious.

Edited by Jedidude
  • Thumbs Up 1