Awoo.

A Survey of Sonic Fandom

GreenFox12

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this site, but I do hope to become active as time goes on (if my schedule allows it). I was wondering if the collection of Sonic fans here would be willing to do a very quick favor.

You see, I am currently enrolled in a fandom studies class at the University of North Florida, and I'm taking an in-depth look at the Sonic fandom. I figured that this site would be the best place to go for that purpose. With that said, I have a survey here, and I would really appreciate if some of you would fill it out. It's entirely voluntary, of course. If you are not comfortable answering it here, feel free to send me a personal message.

1. What attracted you to the Sonic the Hedgehog series in the first place?

2. Do you produce fan art/videos/games? If so, why?

3. Are you an avid collector of Sonic media/memorabilia? If so, why?

4. How much of your time and/or money does being a fan cost you?

5. How long have you been a Sonic fan?

6. What keeps you coming back to the series?

7. Have you met other fans in real life?

8. What do you think of the future of Sonic the Hedgehog and its fandom?

9. Demographic information: age, location (city, state/country), gender (in addition to male and female, feel free to specify whether you are intersexed, transgendered, etc.)

Thank you to anyone who responds.This information would help me greatly.

Before anyone blows their fuse, this appears to be true. The UNF apparently does have a class called Introduction to Fandom Studies.

EDIT: As for question 9, don't know if anyone will be entirely comfortable posting their location.

• Thumbs Up 4

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this site, but I do hope to become active as time goes on (if my schedule allows it). I was wondering if the collection of Sonic fans here would be willing to do a very quick favor.

You see, I am currently enrolled in a fandom studies class at the University of North Florida, and I'm taking an in-depth look at the Sonic fandom. I figured that this site would be the best place to go for that purpose. With that said, I have a survey here, and I would really appreciate if some of you would fill it out. It's entirely voluntary, of course. If you are not comfortable answering it here, feel free to send me a personal message.

My brother, the first Sonic game that we played through together was Sonic 2, then Sonic 3. We also had Sonic and knuckles but lost it for a few months before finding it again in a toy box. These 2 games brought up a strong bond between us and even though him and myself don't talk to each other about Sonic, we've been like the best of friends. Although I did force...er I mean allowed him to watch me play through all of Sonic Generations.

Just some random photo shops of Sonic related things, like this.

I have not been able, nor really wanted to collected Sonic related material, mostly a majority of the games that are released.

A few hours every few days, a few more on weekends since I'm off. It's mostly here on Sonic stadium since it's one of the best, if not the best Sonic site I've been to. I've met a lot of wonderful people here as well and even talk to some on my own time at times.

Since I was about 5 years old, around late 1995.

I'm a stubborn bastard. Sonic's always been a fun series to me, even with a few mishaps there's always one little thing for me. Portable titles help too since I take the train every now and then as well.

Absolutely, one of them being my best friend who is like a brother to me, I've known him for about 4 years as of March 18 2012.

It'll get better, I don't think it'll get worse, some people just need to adjust or really get themselves together, no one is a lost cause or a horrible person or anything. People just need to understand one another.

9. Demographic information: age, location (city, state/country), gender (in addition to male and female, feel free to specify whether you are intersexed, transgendered, etc.)
I'm 22, and the rest is right under my name.

Alright, I'll bite.

1. I like the speed sense within the platforming games. I also enjoy the momentum based physics.

2. No

3. Sadly no, I'm only here for the games.

4. Surprisingly not that much. I don't really devote that much time to Sonic except for when I'm on this site and a new game's announced. As for money, I have plenty of it so it isn't an issue. Probably $40-$60 per year for Sonic.

5. Sonic Chaos was one of the first games I ever played, so I suppose since I was a little kid.

6. The bad games don't affect me as it has to others, so I never really left Sonic. Another thing I like is how unexpected the games are. One game could have you playing as a wolf while another has you fighting with swords. I admire Sonic Team's sense of confidence to explore other genres, even if they don't work or not.

7. Yes, I know some other fans irl, though none here on this site.

8. The future is strong for Sonic, and I can't wait to see what happens next. Even after all the stuff we've been through, Sonic is recovering and becoming a more respectable figure in gaming. Though he won't reach that "popular status" for years to come, it's nice to see him out of the gutters. As for the fandom, I really loved how Classic, Modern, and such fans came together for the first time during Generations. I liked how we all enjoyed one game together, and would love to see that happen again.

9. 16, Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States, Male.

Hope this helps.

I'll be glad to contribute!

I was attracted to Sonic initially by the video game "Sonic & Knuckles" when I was around 4-5 years of age, but I also got into him through the cartoons.

Not so much as I used to, but on occasion I like to draw Dr. Eggman from time to time. When I still drew Sonic a ton, it was just something I liked to do. Sonic was relatively easy to doodle and it was something that I could say that I was good at growing up.

I am not, though I do enjoy researching/looking at Sonic paraphernalia.

I do spend quite a bit of time around the Sonic Stadium and playing the games, and I've even gone out and re-bought some of the early classic games, but I don't invest as much time as I used to when I was younger as I'm a college student and have other more important obligations.

17 years and counting!

A good lot of it is nostalgia, but aside from that, many of the games are genuinely fun, otherwise I wouldn't have been a fan. I enjoy the speed, the challenge, the music and inventive worlds in the games.

Not too many, but yes, especially in college.

Sonic, though being around for 20 years, is still relatively young when you compare him to the likes of Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse and the like, so it's not very easy to say if Sonic will last as long as either of them. I can definitely see it happening though. Despite Sonic's "edgy" or "cool" association (which can generally become outdated, like giant pink mohawks) Sonic still has a timeless quality to him, so perhaps with a few changes, I do see Sonic lasting long into the future, being a media giant like Mario or Pokemon. As for the fanbase, the two are interdependent; without Sonic, there is no fanbase, and without a fanbase, there is no Sonic. One will always be there if the other is as well. Though if Sonic did eventually fade into obscurity and they haulted production of the games, I think the fanbase would linger for a bit before eventually fading out. But that's my take.

I'm a male in my early 20's, living in the USA, upstate NY.

And I hope you do well on your project! Good show picking the Sonic fanbase. We're a critical bunch at times, but we love that hedgehog, green eyes or black.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Greetings everyone,

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic SatAM, and the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

No

No

None

15 years

The fandom's endless whining over anything Sonic related. The only Sonic game I really consider completly horrible is Sonic the Hedgehog 2006.

No.

Sonic getter better, the fans getting worse.

Seem legit. No really, there's a legitimate course code for this Fandom Studies thing.

Well, I was very young, so it was the wonderful setting and atmosphere of Sonic 2 that lured me in. I do love me some whimsical locations.

Sometimes I'll make fanart, but it's VERY rare that I put it on the internet. I do it simply because I have ideas in my head that I want to get down on paper.

In some areas, yes. I tend to focus on plushes and action figures the most, although I will get other things if they crop up and they're cheap, and especially if the Chaotix are involved somewhere. I like to collect toys more than other stuff because it allows me to have some physical representation of the characters in real life.

Money: I dunno, about £100 a year, roughly, not counting the actual games (pfffft). I'm actually pretty cheap compared to a lot of fans.

Time: Oh dear God, the only time some aspect of Sonic ISN'T in my head is when I'm really focusing on completing an assignment or essay. Any other time is free for the taking in terms of thinking Sonic.

Going by my start year, 20 years (although Sonic 1 was in my household before then). I had a spell where I wasn't interested in Sonic between 1995 and 2002, though (although I still took my time to watch AoStH on rainy days in school in 1998, so it's not like I abandoned it completely).

Nowadays, it's mainly for certain characters, as well as seeing where the mythos and other characters go and how they expand in general.

I have in a broad sense, since I went to SoS last year. Didn't speak to anyone on a personal level but then I don't attend cons for the fans. :/

I honestly could not predict anything if I tried, the fandom just seems that volatile and dynamic to me.

I'm 20, living in Staffordshire, England, and I'm female.

Hope that helps!

Greetings everyone,

I got the game Sonic Heroes for my 6th birthday, and form then on I got really interested in the series, games, and it's characters.

I do draw some Sonic characters in my spare time. I toy around with SonicGDK, but nothing special.

Not really, I just get the games, not much of a hedgehogger. tongue.png

In my spare time, I usually play a few Sonic games for a few hours. When I hear of a new Sonic game being released, I eventually save up my money for it.

Since 2004. So 8 years.

Well, it's good gameplay mechanics, graphics, and trying to be creative and fun. Not to mention its amazing music.

Yes, some of my friends are fans of Sonic.

I think the future of Sonic will be good, and the series will keep itself up, for the fandom, nuupe.

You're welcome. smile.png

Replies in bold. biggrin.png Edited by Dr. Felix

Fucking awesome blue hedgehog running around real fast kicking some Eggman ass, what's not to like?

But seriously, back then Sonic was extremely popular where I lived and when I got my first glimpse, he looked so friggin cool and I just joined the crowd, me and the other kids would play the shit out of Sonic Adventure 2's multiplayer, good times. I dunno why I didn't grow out of it like the others, I just found the series to be fun and charming and wanted to get more involved.

Yeah, I draw a bit of fan art, what can I say? Sonic and co are fun to draw.

Not really, only the comics are the one thing that I constantly collect.

Not a whole lot, the only thing that i'm constantly pouring money into Sonic-wise is the aforementioned comics.But I do however spend a lot of time with the fandom, mostly because I just like to discuss Sonic for the most part.

If I had to guess, id say, like....10-11 years.

GOOD gameplay, amazing music, brilliant art direction, and colorful interesting ( or potentially interesting) characters

A few here and there, but none that I know peronally.

I think the future is proving to be very interesting for the Blue Blur, whether or not it will be a good or bad future for the fandom is up in the air, im not getting my hopes up however.

Age 18, living in Camden Delaware, Male.

Owned a Genesis as a kid, first introduction to the series was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Been of the blur ever since.

Nope. I suck too much to. That said, I do have a fancharacter and attempted to sprite him, but he just ended up a shitty Tails recolour with an extraneous third tail. I prefer to pretend that it didn't happen, and future sprite work is done by Australian friends of mine from another community when they feel like it.

Other than the games whenever I get a chance to, no. I'd like to get my hands on a Tails plushie for the lulz, though.

Time: What's 24x365? Money: Fucked if I know

Since I was five at least, likely earlier. I can't remember when my family got the Genesis

They're damn fun. Ignore what the purists and haters tell you, I have yet to play a bad Sonic game, and this includes 3D Blast, R, Shadow, Riders, the PC demo of Heroes, and Unleashed. The only unambiguous case is Next-Gen.

One, my best friend and bro, although it isn't that big an interest, unless you count his Sonic baseball cap. Yes, really.

Colours and Generations I believe marked a turning point. If SEGA can continue with that formula while refining it and ignoring the whining of the fringes, they can easily bring Sonic back to his glory days. Add in the dash of spin-offs including character-specific side stories and flirtations with alternative gameplay styles, and Sonic will regain his throne.

18 and male, from the great Ice Cap on Earth, Canada.

Edited by TimberWolf

A survey for a Fandom Studies class, huh? Sure, I'll help. wink.png

Sonic at first sight was a cool looking dude. The classic games on the Genesis were a lot of fun. But was really attracted me to Sonic was his personality, mainly his big heart where he is always willing to help someone in need.

Not anymore. When I was 7 or so I used to produce fan art all the time.

Not currently, as I have a few things. Wouldn't be surprised if I became an avid collector as it's fun to do!

I don't have tabs on the time, but it is quite a bit. And I can't say that being a fan is too costly...I don't regret a single penny that I have spent on my Sonic collection.

20 years, although I was away from the series for 15 years. It wasn't because I was upset or bored with Sonic, I guess I was forced out of it for a while, a long while.

Many things, but in short the music, the gameplay, the characters, and Sonic's personality. It is still there, and it is still awesome.

No, not really.

The future for Sonic looks very promising and exciting. I hope he will be around for us to enjoy for many more years to come. The fandom for the most part gives me a headache. Unfortunately I believe this will continue in the future.

(Feels like I am constructing my profile again with this question!) tongue.png

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah

I'll only contribute if you give me that Sonic statue in your avatar.

='(

I grew up with the classic games along with the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television show, but my fandom only cemented when I learned of Sonic Adventure's existence after the franchise went on hiatus for a few years. The artwork showed an impressive reimagining of the Sonic I grew up with, and the game didn't disappoint either, so I've fervently kept up with it ever since.

I primarily produce drawings and comics as well as short animation cycles from time to time. The characters, plots, and locations of the games are a treasure trove of inspiration, so when I get ideas from these things I like to express them through my artwork.

I wouldn't consider myself an avid collector, but I nonetheless pick up bits and pieces of merchandise at yearly conventions I'd like to own or- better yet- actually use sometimes, which mostly consists of t-shirts. I collect these things simply because I think it's neat owning merchandise of my favorite gaming series and another way to express my admiration.

I usually buy the major Sonic installments every few years as well one to two pieces of merch, so being a fan really only costs me between $20 to $80 any given year. However, most of my actual time dealing with the franchise is through forums and online chats and roleplays on the Internet which is probably hundreds of hours a year.

I've been a fan of Sonic roughly since I was two or three years old.

The Sonic universe as a whole is collectively a unique mish-mash of American and Japanese tropes and ideals, so as a result of the creative wiggle room, the newer installments are never predictable in their execution which makes following the franchise very fun. And what comes of the experimentation, I've more or less enjoyed most of it. Online discourse about the series is also interesting to participate in and gives me new insight on the games going forward.

I've met fans ranging from people having nostalgic admiration of the old games to full-on cosplayers.

I think the franchise has long since cemented its status as a juggernaut in the industry and of our culture- surviving blows only few gaming franchises can- and in that way, I believe it won't actually be going away any time soon. It's recently been climbing out of a rut and shows no signs of stopping, and its developer hints at new changes on the horizon. We're potentially on the cusp of something cool, and I'm confident the crazy community will be right there with it, going through all of the usual motions (celebrating and arguing mainly) that come with following this series.

This being your first post gives off the impression that this is all you're here for. I'm most likely right. Who wants to place bets?

I will help too.

I was about 5 years old and a huge fan of Mario (still a fan of mario) then my friends were talking about a TV show Sonic the Hedgehog

or more commonly known as SatAM. So "fell in love" with the Sonic series. and begged for a genesis to play Sonic 1.

Nope no I do not. Maybe the occasion draw but I'm not dedicated to it

I was when I was 10- 13. Stopped collected any video game memorable after that.

I collected Sonic comic alot when I was 7 - 9 years old. Stopped got back into it at 13 - 15years old

stopped again until the Genesis arc in the recent comic. after it ended I once again stopped.

I only buy video game so not to much money. the time I play is the free time I have after homework

Since Sonic 1 so 20 years.

I have been a fan for so long that it is kind of a rutine for me to keep coming back. To be more speific

I like many of the level tropes and designs of Sonic games.

Friends in when I was in elementary school and in High School. Now, not so much

Sonic is slowing gaining respect in the gaming world. The fandom in my honest opinion can be supportive to

out right crazy. Crazy in the sense that there is a divide in regards of classic fans (Sonic 1 - Sonic 3&k) adventure fans (SA 1 and SA2)

and modern fans. An perfect example is Sonic 4. If you go to that thread you will see what I mean

Edited by Team Chaotix

1 - Recalling back, I think the combination of the colourful visuals, music and charming character in the form of Sonic himself despite him being depicted as a primitive 8-bit Sprite is what really grabbed my attention. Catching the two animated Sonic series on British TV back then provided an additionally interesting world with characters that captured my imagination.

2. Yes. I partake in creating fanart because the Sonic universe is highly endearing to me and is an imaginative series that gives inspiration. Not to mention it's fun to make fanart smile.png

3. I would say yes. But I don't collect Sonic merchandise/games just for the sake of it. I collect only that which appeals greatly to me, isn't overly expensive for what it is and I buy the games because I love the unique and enthralling sense of speed they give as well as the thoroughly charming characters and intriguing universe.

4. I'd say a good few hours a week. The money I spend on average in a year on Sonic items? On average £50-£60 on appealing merch and if games happen to be released that year, £80 on top of that if two Sonic games I want are released in that year.

5. Since I was 6 years old in April 1994. That's nearly 18 years at the time this post was written.

6. The games. As I've said earlier in this post, they are generally highly entertaining and I greatly love their unique speed, imaginative design, wonderful endearing characters and wonderful music.

7. Yes. I've attended Sonic fan conventions and a few of my close "RL" friends are fans of the series too.

8. I think that the future of the franchise is a bright one. The series has, in my opinion, satisfactorily pulled itself out of a dark age. The fandom strikes me as being too passionate to disperse any time soon despite it's shortcomings.

9. Age: 24.  

This being your first post gives off the impression that this is all you're here for. I'm most likely right. Who wants to place bets?

So what if thats the case its his/her problem not ours. plus he/she is asking for help. Something that you haven't helped with

• Thumbs Up 3

The speed and atmosphere. I was a fan of Mario (still am), tried out SA2B at my sister's van, got hooked for the 40 years to come.

Nuuu.

Nuuu-nuuu.

Time: per day, about 3 hours listening to music, 1 hour thinking about the series and all, 2 hours and a half playing.

Money: whatever price the new game is. :v

Since 2002, when I was 6.

The characters, the universe, the music, the fun of the games.

Never saw anyone like Sonic here. Or like anything I like really.

I can't wait for the next game and think it will be great. As for the fandom, it's going to be as frustrating as ever.

- Gender: Male, heterosexual, and with a girlfriend, motherfuckers

Edited by Koopalmier

- Gender: Male, heterosexual, and with a girlfriend, motherfuckers

now isn't this mature of you

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, I was formally introduced to Sonic the Hedgehog as a young kid, just turning 9 during that time. It began with Sonic Underground while it was airing, then came Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the Gamecube. I ended up playing that one more than Super Mario Sunshine and a bit more than Wind Waker.

Fan art, videos, fan games, no. <I>However</i>, I am a pianist, and music is more my field than anything, so anything I would create out of Sonic would be music. The Sonic Stadium Music Album is a project I spearheaded and now lead!

Besides, I don't really make any videos as videos. It's just an excuse for me to put my music on YouTube, can't do it as mere mp3 files in front of such a massive audience!

The most you'd see me collecting or purchasing are games for the consoles I've owned since 2001. ^^; Past Sonic titles I've only gotten through remakes or compilations.

As for memorabilia... Two shirts, one being makeshift pj shirt for about 5 years, then a belt buckle and a plushie.

Money isn't an issue. As I've said, I only go for the games, and they don't pop up like newly bred bunnies. ^^; I always end up having just the right amount invested and saved for the next!

Time, well, TSS is my main hub on the web, and I frequent this place pretty often, usually leaving a tab open. Now that I've become a writer and part of the staff just this week, depending on the news period, I could be a busy bee! As for time, when I'm free, I'd either play random tunes on the piano, most of them ending up being from the Sonic franchise, or play SCD on my

Since I was 8! That would be about... Well, 10 years!

No other gaming series can do what Sonic does. Not for me. It's an irreplaceable franchise! The gameplay, the music, the characters, the universe, they're timeless!

A few friends in high school, and I've met one by chance in one of my University courses!

Well, when we've got community events like Sonic Boom and Summer of Sonic, when we've got fandom projects like the recent TSSMA'11, when we've had fans like Christian Whitehead handle Sonic CD's revival, when Sonic games have been increasing both in quality along and public approval since the '00 mid-decade, it can only get better!

18, Canadian suburbs just outside the sprawling urban sector, male.

1.Played the first game after receiving a genesis (megadrive). The rest is history.

2.I doodle from time to time, nothing over the top or anything. I also am making a card game based on the sonic series among with another game series. I also have ideas on making fan game once I have enough support and resources collected.

3. I'm a collector of other things but i would have to say I have more Sonic stuff than any else of what I have. I mostly have the figures as a more of a fact I never had a chance to have sonic figures when I was a child. although I do only have the 20th anniversary toy line and a modern giant and classic giant figurine as well as posters for feng shui for my man cave. Every man deserves his cave.

4. money? that's a tad hard to calculate considering I have every major console game since 1991. then again some of the games I did not pick up new or when they were still their original prices. Time? My life mostly consists of video games and that goes as well as Sonic, so a lot.

5. Since between 1991-1992, I don't know the exact month but I do know it was before Sonic 2 came out.

6. Most other game series doesn't have the appeal like Sonic does. To me, a game shouldn't have to try and be as realistic as it should be. It has replayability. The characters have more in depth personalities than Mario characters do. it's amazing when the longest game series running today are still the most successful and the most devoted fan bases compared to the newer stuff coming out.

7. I have grown up with people who liked Sonic but I don't think they still are. Being a fan at 26 doesn't ever come up in conversations when people rather talk about gossip and other adult-like matters.

8.It started off with a bang in the gensis, it buzzed in the dreamcast era, it went through a rough patch, it got itself up and now it seems to finally have a way to keep the series to never go back to those dark times. merchandise are everywhere now, there are conventions, and there are even a toy line which I never had when I was a kid. I say it's going pretty well.

9. Age:26

Namely a figure I could look up to when growing up through infant school. I had been a fan of the cartoons for a while before getting my own Megadrive when I was 5.

Occasionally fan art and frequently video/film work. It's a good way to burn stress or express myself artisticly.

Very much so. Possibly on the point it's becoming obsessive. It's strange as I feel that collecting items relating to the series is a way of repaying Sega or Sonic's creators for giving me someone to look up to when growing up.

No exact records... But the amount I have been spending has gone up substantially in the last year or two.

Since 1993 when the 'Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog' cartoon came out. I played the original Sonic the Hedgehog on my American cousin's Genesis a year or so later.

Namely the fun times the games continue to bring me. In addition, the music to the series always gives me exciting, atmospheric and up-beat material to listen to as well as some excellent characters.

At the Summer of Sonic, I was surrounded by many Sonic fans but did not really socialize as I should have done. I do have a smaller circle of sonic-fan friends however.

No matter what Sonic shapes up to do or be, I will follow the series with a continued interest. The fandom itself I cannot comment on.

I actually grew up with Sonic when I was given the Mega Drive (Genesis) as a Christmas Present back when I was only 6 years old. What attracted me about it back then was mostly the loops, which were a novelty back then.

I do not produce any creative works on the basis that I do not have the requisite skills, nor do I have the time.

I would not consider myself an avid collector, but purchasing Sonic--or more specifically, Tails--merchandise would not be uncommon for me. As for why? Well, quite frankly, marketing is a big reason and I am under no illusion that I am immune to it.

It is difficult to give an arbitrary number financially or in regards to time. As I am currently employed, the financial implications are minimal. In regards to how much time is used up as a fan, I would say approximately half of my spare time, which would average out at about one hour a day.

As mentioned in Question 1, I have been a fan since I was 6 years old. And now I feel like an old man!

It was really only Sonic Generations that brought me back to the series. As I do not own any of the consoles, the only games I play are on the PC. SEGA have recently started bringing back Sonic games to the PC (Sonic CD, Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations) so I was able to finally play a Sonic game again. The last Sonic game I played prior to Generations was Sonic Heroes. In fact, the only thing that really kept my interest were the hacks being produced on the older games.

No, I haven't met any other fans in real life. I had always wanted to go to the Summer of Sonic convention but unfortunately I have no time for it.

I think it's fair to say that Sonic games have improved greatly since the diaster of Sonic 2006. Sonic Team have been using Sonic's boost to great effect for the past few games, although again, as I mentioned, I have only played Generations. It seems that they are edging in other characters now. If Sonic Team can incorporate good gameplay mechanics into the other characters, then I think that that will make for a great and successful future. Because, while Sonic is a great character to play, I really feel that the other characters complement him and make a fulfilling game. But of course, inundating the series with extra characters isn't a good idea.

In regards to the fanbase: I don't think that'll ever change fundamentally. I would say that every fan wants the series to succeed. There will be differing opinions and plenty of debates, because I think that that is the very essence of what a fan is: someone who has a passion for a certain thing (in this case Sonic.) Yes, that is a poor definition but my mind is pretty blank at the moment! So although the Sonic series will change, the fanbase will not.

9. Demographic information:

I am 26 years old, male and reside in Dublin, Ireland. What should also be noted for your study is that due to a medical condition called Asperger's Syndrome, I have a very focused interest on certain things. As such, Sonic games have to meet certain criteria in order for me to purchase it. The criteria is, however, quite unreasonable (ergo, I'm not going to mention what it is) and the game not meeting that criteria would most likely not reflect negatively on the quality of gameplay.

Sonic 1 pack-in, circa 1992.

No. I have no talent, and can only fake it to a certain extent.

Not anymore. My interest in the fanbase is far lower than it was circa-2005.

Money? Depends how many games come out in a year.

Time? Hard to measure. I spend more time here than I do playing the games, if that counts (I rarely take the time to sit down and play the games these days, so I'm complacent with playing the Classics or the Advance games on my PSP or something); and I've got several hundred hours on my Adventure 2 Battle save file.

4Lyfe, basically.

SSMB, mostly.

Also, the "real" games have gotten back to being legitimately enjoyable again rather than enjoyable because I have to justify enjoying them.

Yes.

Things are looking up now, even if you want to argue that they aren't good right now.

I'mma 22-year-old dude who likes the ladies. Everything else is over in yonder left column.

Edited by Tornado

I'll bite, too! :D

Believe it or not, my dad. He loved the first Sonic the Hedgehog game, and I watched him play it a lot when I was a kid. So I decided to try it out, and I liked it. Then my future stepsister had a packaged Sonic 2 along with her Genesis, and I played it almost all the way through, and I enjoyed it! So, it's basically family and extended family that got me into this series.

When I was younger, I drew plenty of poses for specific characters, most notably Espio the Chameleon and Nack the Weasel. Nowadays, I don't concentrate much on fanart anymore.

No, I'm not anymore. I used to collect some toys when I was younger, particularly the Sonic Adventure toy line.

Time-wise, about twenty-plus years. Basically, I've been a fan throughout my life. Regarding finances, I'd say about $200 to $300 discounting the consoles.

Over twenty years since late summer 1991.

The fandom, atmosphere, my love for the series in general, and the characters themselves.

Yup! Met hundreds of fans at the photography expo in the fall 2008 when I drew Sonic the Hedgehog from memory (not a good pic, but I still cherish it ;)). Got a lot of conversation from passersby and fans alike.

The fandom is really divided. There are fans who love the Classics the most, the Modern era the most, and the people in-between. As an old school fan, my allegiances are with the current era (running from Sonic Adventure's debut in 1998 to today). Nonetheless, the fandom is mostly passionate and have a love for the series. There are bad apples here and there, but which fandom doesn't? :P I feel very confident for the series; Sega still makes plenty of money from Sonic, and Sonic Team's passion is rampant. I'm very confident that they can produce excellent games.

You're welcome! :D Good luck with your future endeavors! :D