Awoo.

The Gaming Rumors Thread: Nintendo BG&E2? Resi 7? Prey 2... again!?

Patticus

Hey guys! As you're all aware of, there are usually at least a few gaming rumours flying around at any one time, which on their own might not warrant their own topics due to their oftentimes niche appeal, but which folks ought to be made aware of anyway, so I figure we could use a topic dedicated to the posting, discussion and validation/debunking of these aforementioned rumours. If it relates to a topic already in progress, you can post them there and here if you like, but if that topic is active then you can post the story in here and link to that topic.

Two rumours spring immediately to my mind right now:

Is Zipper Interactive (SOCOM, MAG) closing?

Rumor: SOCOM Creators Being Shut Down by Sony

Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according to Kotaku sources.

Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.

But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.

Zipper has been in the business since 1996, with fan favourites like Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies to its name before it was bought by Sony in 2006 to focus on the console business. The studio's last game was third-person shooter Unit 13 for the PlayStation Vita.

Once seen as one of Sony's most important studios, especially in the days of the PS2, Zipper has seen its titles struggle to find the same level of success in the PS3 era, with MAG never really catching on with players and the latest SOCOM title having the misfortune of being released right in the middle of 2011's great PS3 downtime.

Without official confirmation, there is still the possibility that Zipper will remain open in a nominal fashion but the extent of layoffs that we're hearing about appears to indicate studio closure.

We've again reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story if we hear back.

http://kotaku.com/58...ut-down-by-sony

This isn't very surprising to me, considering their games didn't have much of an impact this generation. They were criminally unlucky launching SOCOM 4 at the time of the PSN hack, but on the other hand it didn't get the best reception from critics either, and MAG doesn't appear to have had any lasting impact beyond its initial few months of online life. Time now for the second of the rumors:

Prey 2 Cancelled?

Rumor: Bethesda to announce Prey 2 canning next week

Take this for what it is at the moment (a massive rumor) but Bethesda will apparently announce Prey 2′s cancellation next week.

According to PS Focus, a “reliable source” has said the Human Head Studios title has been cancelled, which explains the lack of new information on the game since it was announced, as well as three planned conferences which were also cancelled over last few months.

The site said an official announcement on the game’s cancellation will be released by Bethesda next week.

When asked for comment, Bethesda told us it doesn’t “comment on rumors,” while a spokesperson for the firm told VideogameWriters: “Thanks for reaching out. We aren’t commenting on this story.”

Announced in March 2011, the game’s slated for release on PC and consoles this year.

Thanks, Colin.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/23/rumor-prey-2-cancellation-announcement-coming-next-week/

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/183303526997426180

I'm going to be very disappointed if this turns out to be true. Prey 2 was, even considering the disappointing change of protagonist, starting to look like a genuinely interesting FPS, which is saying something considering how shit much of the genre is now. It was actually starting to become one of my most anticipated FPS games this year (along with Bioshock: Infinite). Say it isn't so, Bethesda, say it isn't so. :(

I hate it when a rumor with a ridiculously bad implication such as "game is cancelled" receives a stupid "we don't comment on rumors" response or isn't debunked immediately by a publisher/developer.

Because that implies the rumor is probably true.

• Thumbs Up 4

The only recent rumors I can think of are ones about the new Xbox:

• Codenamed "Durango"
  • Ditching physical media for cloud-based storage
  • Windows 8 compatibility
  • Graphics based on AMD's 6670 chip
  • Releasing 2013-2015

Source: http://www.techradar...new-xbox-937167

I personally hope they'll keep the physical media, because not everyone has the bandwidth to download games that could possibly exceed... 30GB? (idk) and I would hate having to delete games as my storage fills up.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT:

I hate it when a rumor with a ridiculously bad implication such as "game is cancelled" receives a stupid "we don't comment on rumors" response or isn't debunked immediately by a publisher/developer.

Well there's nothing to really complain about. They're inadvertently giving us the answer to our question, and they feel like a boss because they think we've gotten nowhere.

It's a win-win situation here.

Edited by sammichbars

So theres a game company called Zipper, and they've made a lot of... very popular and pretty good games.

They're mainly known for their SOCOM series, I've not had much interest in that one, but you basically play as a Us Marine/navy seal/bloke in a suit looking serious... possibly with a beard.

They also made the game MAG, the game which has over 100 players online in an epic battle and has virtually no lag due to their special dedicated servers that runs of the blood of virgins and witchcraft.

Well... the rumour is... It's shutting down. No idea as to why this is happening, but speculation is that it might have something to do with last years 'hack' which saw the psn taken down for a month, aparently it had a big impact over player numbers.

Although to be fair, MAG's player count was quite low before this happened.

Source

Edit: Whoops. Missed that gaming rumours topic. Request lock/merge whatever

• Thumbs Up 1

The Xbox 3 not having physical game is pretty unbelievable. Look how hard PSP Go failed. I don't think the general public is ready to go fully digital.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbh if they started giving a clear "no" response to any sort of classified (NDA) information request, people would assume that the alternative "no comment" answer stands for "yes", and rightly so.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

There are some new rumors that an ex-Rockstar employee leaked massive information about GTAV.

Here they are:

1. The protagonist will be one character, and one character alone. His name is (as some rumours said) Albert De Silva. He's a half hispanic man who was once part of a crime family in Vice City. He decided to settle down and have kids in Los Santos. He has one son called Kevin De Silva who is your stereotypical CoD player. He's lazy, useless and shouts racial abuse online and is really into FPS games. Kevin does admire his Dad though.

2. Multiplayer will hold 32 people on the Xbox and PS3. I wasn't told how many were able to be on the PC. Just like in RDR, players will be able to form Gangs. These gangs are not ranked through XP anymore, but via Reputation. Instead of gang hideouts, you can do jobs that range from robbing a launderette to breaking into a military base and stealing state-of-the-art weaponary. The Gang leader has much more control over his or her gang by being able to rank members of their gang and setting more specific objectives to specific members of their gang. Gangs can have their own terratory but this only applies to areas inside the city of Los Santos.

3. The map is about 5x as large as the GTA IV map and the City of Los Santos takes up just under half of this area (so it's a bit bigger than 2 GTA IV Liberty Cities).

The map is (like most GTAs) seperated into three different sections. 4. Planes are flyable, they range from World War 2 fighter planes to Private Jets.

5. Cars and guns are customisable to an extent, for example, you can cusomise a gun to have a supressor on it and you can install nitrous into cars.

Here's some stuff you might like:

1. The protagonist is the "rich guy" from the GTA V debut trailer. You get to learn more about this man in the second when he talks about his troubles. You only see the protagonist twice in the trailer. First time is the side of his face and second time is when he is driving a Deceptor (Audi R8). The people robbing the jewellery store are just with the protagonist. He is driving the van ready to get away.

2. Gunfights are more realistic. When you are shooting a gun out of a window of a car, depending on how fast it's going you will have troubles aiming due to shaking cameras.

3. The game is due in May 2013. A more specific date has not been decided because the game is still needing 6 months to be fully developed. They will have a playable demo at E3.

4. Police chases are now way more than either running or driving. Depending on how wanted you are, police may bring out riot shields and flash bangs. 5. When someone reaches 4 star wanted level, there will be a radio warning on some stations.

6. Radio stations now do traffic reports that are actually correct. So if you don't know what route to take, you can check the traffic reports on your phone or the radio. 7. The in-game TV now has many more channels

8. Spoiler for 2 other Rockstar games: The protagonist DOES NOT die unlike in the last two Rockstar games.

9. The underworld actually has a working economy that you can contribute too by buying and selling drugs, weapons and illegal cars in single player.

10. The protagonist can take drugs which will have some effects. But smoking weed on the streetwalk will lead to getting a one star wanted level.

11. Police cars will go after you if you're obviousely breaking the speed limit. Having high speed crashes will also damage your health.

Wanted levels:

1 star - police follow you on foot and try to make an arrest. No sirens, no car chases (unless you are speeding).

2 star - police will still attempt to make an arrest. If a weapon is drawn then the police will begin opening fire. Police will use stun guns if a weapon is not drawn.

3 star - Chases begin and the police don't care how they stop you, they just want to do it.

4 star - road traps, radio stations and much more hostile police.Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 24 in-game hours for someone matching your description.

5 star - shoot to kill, arrest only if it's made very possible. Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 48 in-game hours for someone matching your description. Few missions become unavailable if you are wanted.

6 star - military vehicles come after you. Even when you have evaded them, they will still search for 72 in-game hours for someone matching your description. Some missions become unavailable if you are wanted.

Some things sound fake but yeah, that's why this is a rumor thread.

Edited by Tmsp

That sounds like a bullshit fanboy wish list to me, I can't see that being real at all, but thanks for posting it Tmsp.

I want GTA V to make me feel like I'm in a living, breathing city, and that will inevitably mean more of the realism that people hated in IV, e.g. cops doing stuff they do in real life, like chasing down speeding cars etc. But, at the very same time, I think that the player should be given fun counters to that realism; for example tools to bolt onto vehicles to evade those cops chasing your speeding ass, like the Slippy Oil from GTA 2. The end result would probably look like The Ballad Of Gay Tony in San Andreas.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

It is an undeniably frustrating situation for gamers interested in the potentially affected product, though. We want to know if this game or that (which we are anticipating) is still going to be released, and we want to know yesterday. For developers the situation must be equally frustrating; there must be a huge urge to blab and tell all (if they know), on top of the dread-filled sense that their job(s) may be very much under threat.

The only recent rumors I can think of are ones about the new Xbox:

Source: http://www.techradar...new-xbox-937167

I personally hope they'll keep the physical media, because not everyone has the bandwidth to download games that could possibly exceed... 30GB? (idk) and I would hate having to delete games as my storage fills up.

So what do you guys think?

I don't think Microsoft has the balls to go cloud-only yet, because they'd be limiting their appeal to people who live in areas with internet infrastructures capable of handling that shit. America is a huge country, it's MS' primary market, and much of it lacks that infrastructure. I think they might release a version of their next console that runs exclusively off the cloud for techies and rich kids, but the 'main' one will need a disc drive if they want to get sufficient sales to compete.

• 1 month later...

Rumour: Retro's WiiU game is a Starfox/Metroid crossover

From the Paul Gale network:

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/05/19/rumor-is-retro-studios-wii-u-game-star-fox-metroid-fusion-saga/

Summary

- The game switches off between intense Arwing space and planetary battles as Fox makes his way to the planet that Samus crashed on and a Metroid Prime-like experience of gameplay as Samus on this planet, gradually uncovering its mysteries, leveling up, etc.

- The Star Fox stages represent what the series is best known for, including the chatter and coming to the aid of the rest of your team, all range mode battles, and on rails stages.

- The Metroid part of the game puts you alone, void of human or any talking character contact, and like the Prime series, sees you gaining upgrades, battling bosses, and in this case, repairing your ship.

- The game is said to be epic in size, scope, ambition.

- The pacing has been perfected to not interrupt what the feeling is behind either franchise, since Star Fox is more often known for being acceptable to have short sessions with and Metroid rather the opposite. You can opt to continue playing either just Samus’ part or Fox’s part without crossing over for much of the main game (or play it as it’s scripted back and forth), but will eventually have to complete both, as the characters will ultimately meet up.

That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Though maybe that's just my hatred for most crossovers talking. An original IP borrowing elements from those series would indeed be preferred.

Edited by Pinkamena

Can't say I'm too excited about that prospect. Everyone wants a new Star Fox and/or Metroid. Nobody wanted a Star Fox and Metroid crossover.

I don't want a new Star Fox game as the series just bores me. The prospect of actually not looking forward to a Retro game, should that game turn out to be Star Fox, fills my glands with disappointment.

Wait... If the Starfox characters dont speak with Samus that much and youre basically just playing a Starfox or a Metroid game seperately until the very end... Why even bother making it a cross-over?

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 2

This made me laugh really hard since I made a terrible Starfox and Metroid crossover fanfiction once.

Sounds like a terrible concept for a game. Just give me one or the other please.

Retro revealing Star Fox at E3 is pretty much given at this point. Rumors have been circulating for months now that they're developing a Star Fox game, "something everyone wants us to do", and much like Donkey Kong Country Returns, it's getting pre-E3 rumors that a lot of people are picking up on. I don't want another Prime game, the trilogy was pretty much perfect as-is and I want to see Retro move on to other franchises.

But a Metroid/Star Fox crossover? Please god no, I want

not this.
  • Thumbs Up 9

I created a topic on this but I'll place it here too.

TSSZ is posting a rumor that a Sega Employee talked about Sega's future plans on 4Chan. Some of the things that were said where that Sonic Dimension really exists, a new Sonic rush for the 3DS after Dimensions. and Generations DLC

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/05/19/rumor-alert-anonymous-sega-employees-discuss-projects/

Well. Whatever the hell Retro is working on, it is going to be very interesting.

Well. Whatever the hell Retro is working on, it is going to be very interesting.

So if the game is staring at poo you'll like it right?

So if the game is staring at poo you'll like it right?

Considering Retro's track record, I'd be surprised if they couldn't make that enjoyable somehow and to some extent. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds - ehm - interesting? I dunno, if this turns out to be true (which I can't help but doubt), I'm sure it will be enjoyable on both fronts, considering that it's Retro, but the concept is so ridiculous that I can't begin to take this seriously.

Considering Retro, it would probably be good, but it would be a better idea to just make a regular Star Fox game to get the series back on track.

I created a topic on this but I'll place it here too.

TSSZ is posting a rumor that a Sega Employee talked about Sega's future plans on 4Chan. Some of the things that were said where that Sonic Dimension really exists, a new Sonic rush for the 3DS after Dimensions. and Generations DLC

http://www.tssznews....scuss-projects/

Eh, I'd rather take whatever rumors posted on TSSZ with a few shakers' worth of salt.