Awoo.

Sonic 2 HD

Ming Ming Hatsune

Fucking Lost... Fucking Lost... rawr rawr rawr

Yes I agree this L0st fellow doesn't sound like a very nice chappy... Then you read the press release and get this...

This was the last straw for us. He had ignored direct requests for the past two years, effectively holding the project ransom by refusing additional help or review on his private engine.

Are you taking the piss!? Two years you had someone on the team who wasn't working with the team or following requests from the leader!? Why wasn't he sacked back then?

When you combined that with the total lack of communication from the rest of the team when we all thought there was a keylogger in the game, what on earth where they doing all this time?

• Thumbs Up 2

The chapter that could have been the best fanmade game ever has been closed. I'm sure the other members of the S2HD will be very disappointed with this announcement.

But to be honest I saw this one coming. They sack LOst, the lead programmer of the game. He isn't just some guy in the team you can easily sack. If you sack him, because he holds the source code, the whole team would have to find a new lead programmer and start all over again from scratch. Not going to happen, especially when they are not getting paid.

Actually, now that i think about this, Didn't something very similar to this happen with Super smash flash 2? The lead creator left so they cancelled it right? If that's the case then i'm not surprised. This stuff happens a lot.

Well, at least i have Chemical plant and Death egg robo Generations....

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

It doesn't seem to be dangerous. It triggers trojan warnings because LOst was obsessed with making it unhackable and made the program obfuscated against inspection by antivirus programs and the like, and it looks like a keylogger because of a strange direct input implementation. There are a lot of suspicions that the requirements are so high because of the obsfucation, it would make the program less efficient.

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining. I really hated the thought of having to delete this after seeing the outstanding effort put into it...now I don't have to!

This was just posted by the Sonic 2 HD team on Facebook:

Sonic 2 HD is officially discontinued.

It's a shame really. This project had so much going for it. :\

Yeah really. That's too bad. But as others said it's no surprise this announcement has been made. At least we have what the Sonic 2 HD team gave us initally to enjoy. It was so good I wanted more...sad.png

Well, that's another fangame down and out. I mean, it was a great product, but there has always been a lot of junk going on with this game's development (nothing personal to anyone on the team of course), and I'm not very surprised that it's over and gone.

Glad to see that the artists are going to make a name for themselves, now. Hopefully we'll hear from them some time in the future.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well shit! This looked like one of the best fan-project to ever come of of the Sonic fanbase! God damn it LOst!

Edited by Chaos Warp

Sad to hear, one of the biggest community projects, all lost (pun not included) because of one member.

Though there are a few things, like

1. Two years? Should've been fired after two months of not doing what they wanted him to do.

2. They shouldn't have let him keep everything to himself

3. Lost had too much power, he pretty much controlled the project in terms of "my way or the highway". They should have split it up between others.

4. What was the reason about sheltering out the community again? They never should have done that. Other members could've helped out and do things with this project, but alas it was not to be.

Perhaps maybe some other members will try to continue with this, but the odds are slim. Even though I don't care for Sonic 2, it is sad to see such a determined ambiguous project be torn apart because of one member's idiotic actions.

I see the other members are working on a Sonic 3 HD and even a Sonic 4 Classic HD. they both look nice, but not as good as this project was.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember seeing that line and I always wondered WTF it meant. Now I know XD

Anyway, I kinda wasn't expecting something like this coming (because fangames are waaay at the back of my priorities), but needless to say I have to echo with everyone else's "surprise surprise, another fangame bites the dust." It's quite sad, it just looked like this game was FINALLY getting off the ground, and it sucks that all of the effort that went into it went to waste. Also sucks that this happened shortly after SMBZ's cancellation. :/

Then again, something like this was bound to happen eventually if you were letting a programmer like LOst hold the project hostage for two years.

*sigh* Well, at least I have Megamix, Sonic 3 HD, and the recently started Sonic 4: As You Imagined It. Or are those games going to go down the crapper too before year's end?

I don't have a computer capable of running S2HD, but I thought the project looked awesome. Just seeing videos of the game made me happy, so I'm sad to see its being scrapped.

I recall hearing about the standards of being in the art team at S2HD. I heard the bars were bit high.

Also, its a shame that this is discontinued after all these years.

I recall hearing about the standards of being in the art team at S2HD. I heard the bars were bit high.

Not surprised really, this game's whole point was to look utterly perfect.

• 11 months later...

Urm... is this actually being made or are you just asking for people to help you?

Only I took a look at the website and some of the videos were uploaded around a year ago which was when the original was still being made wasn't it?

why? just because one idiot a whole project should be discontinued?

Because everyone else moved on to do great stuff.

why? just because one idiot a whole project should be discontinued?

The team behind it discontinued it and actually stated that it doesn't need to be picked up where was left off.

I'm confused. Is this just a "I want to continue Sonic 2 HD" concept that has nothing to do with the original besides the title and the concept (which it appears to be); or is this an actual attempt to continue the work that they had put together up until last year?

If it's the latter, I'm sorry to say but you're really not going to get anywhere with it.

I deleted your post. We don't allow advertising here, I'm afraid you're going to have to look elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

So, remember that sweet fan remake of Sonic 2 that was very unfortunately cancelled? Well, canceled it is no longer. That's right, the project has been brought back from the dead! The reason they couldn't continue was because of lack of programmers. However, this has since changed and they've managed to port the game to a new engine.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/24/sonic-2-hd-finds-new-life/

I'm really really happy about this. I was looking forward to Sonic 2 HD so much and I felt really upset when it was canceled. It's absolutely brilliant that it's coming back, and I wish the team behind it good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very exciting to hear. It remains to be seen if they'll ever complete the whole game but just the fact that they've picked it up again is fantastic!

It's pretty cool news that what has essentially been Sonic Retro's dream project is being revived from the dead, but by this point it needs to expand on it's original purpose in order to garner interest for the project again.

We already have the results of what the game looks and sounds like and what content it was going to have, and on top of that Taxman/Stealth's Sonic 2's remaster with it's bonus features galore (especially the Hidden Palace remake) kinda blows the general idea of a HD remake of Sonic 2 out of the water (the likes of Sonic 4 and Generations remaking levels and recycling content from the original game don't help things either). Though I am not necessarily calling for it to expand into some general remake of all of the Genesis/CD games, the project will have to be more than a HD remake with a few bonus features in order to turn more heads.

Nonetheless, I hope progress goes much more smoothly than the last effort and I do hope to see and play the finished product sometime. It also helps that I am genuinely more interested in how this product turns out much more than the Boom games and Sonic Team's next attempt at a Sonic game, as I have little-to-no enthusiasm whatsoever for any of those three games.

Hopefully the programmer isn't a dick like the last one. I recall the biggest reason they couldn't continue was him not giving out what he had already done and some DRM crap.

That said, I don't actually particularly care. I prefer something like what Taxman has done. HD looked kind of flat to me. I recall the remixes being quite nice, though.

• Thumbs Up 1