Awoo.

PlayStation 4 Discussion

Detective Shadzter

So question for my fellow classics players, I am considering giving into some PS1 classics, and will probably be able to get 3 (since they haven't been on sale for a while, and I want to do this while I have internet). I'm planning to grab Star Wars Racers Revenge, but was wondering if you guys had anyone 3D platformer suggestions. I've been wanting to get Pac-Man World(loved it as a kid), and I wouldn't nessecarily mind replaying some of the Spyro and Crash games, but I want to know which is the best bang for the buck(I've played most, so no trouble playing out of order), or if you have other suggestions.

Oh, and I've got Megaman Legends and Misadventures of Tron Bonne, beat both and had a blast, now I just want the third one :(

Well i'd definitely recommend pacman world so no arguments needed there, i'd probably say to go for either crash 2 or 3 (really you can't go wrong with either of them though I personally prefer 3).

Yeah, I got the Uncharted Bundle, which is the new model. I don't mind the push buttons as it makes it easier to push it if I'm in the dark and I was never a fan of fingerprint magnets. That, and the new model is a bit more quiet and cooler.

Yeah I suppose it's not a big deal, but it kinda irks me that these changes are mostly to lower the price more than anything. But I suppose the improvements are worth it.

Anyway, the gold and white mix looks incredible:

IIklWAb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody. I'm new to the PlayStation 4 family. Actually, I had one when they first came out, but traded it for an Xbox One because there wasn't a lot to do on it. But that's okay, because I have one again! And I'm loving it much more this time. Between this and the Xbox One, I think I've decided to make the PS4 my primary gaming console, and just use the One for exclusives. I don't have any games for it right now sadly, but a friend let me borrow Tomb Raider! This will be my 3rd time playing through the game (had it for the 360 and One), but that's fine because it's a great game! I'll have to wait for around a month to get a game for my PS4, I'm thinking either Fallout 4 (may have to wait longer...) or Battlefield 4. c:

So, PS2 emulation is confirmed for PS4

Sony is working on bringing PlayStation 2 titles to the PlayStation 4, the company confirmed to WIRED Thursday evening.

“We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation,” a Sony representative told WIRED via email. “We have nothing further to comment at this point in time.”

It seems as if the first PS2 games using this emulation software to run on PS4 are already out: a bundle available now at retail that includes a PS4 console and the Star Wars: Battlefront game also includes a selection of bonus classic games: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

The latter three games, according to the Digital Foundry, as reported by Eurogamer, aren’t simply ports of old code to the PS4. Instead, there are a number of signs indicating that they’re running on proprietary emulation software.

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/

The Digital Foundry article on the Star Wars games:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

I suggest checking it out, since there are some impressive comparison screens and a video. 

If you're too lazy, the main points of it are

• Not 1080p but 4x the resolution of their original releases
  • Smooth 60fps over drops to less than 30fps
  • Trophie support

All really cool.

Besides those 3 Star Wars games, we know of 3 more games: Ape Escape 2, Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) and Twisted Metal Black thanks to them getting rated by PEGI.

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/ape-escape-2-dark-cloud-2-twisted-metal-black-rated-ps4-europe

There's also this, pointing toward Siren, but I think I heard this may be fake:

Zdh6JcH.jpg

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/22/evidence-points-ps2-games-ps4-thanks-firmware-update-3-00-beta/#/slide/1

Expect an announcement at PSX.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now if we could just get a PlayStation 3 emulator instead of PlayStation Now, that would be great. c:

• Thumbs Up 7

Now if we could just get a PlayStation 3 emulator instead of PlayStation Now, that would be great. c:

I can sell my PS3 if that's possible...but it's not. It will ruin half on PS Now's purpose. Not to mention the PS4 doesn't have enough power to emulate PS3 games.

Also I'm a bit skeptical about the PS2 emulation. Until I get from Sony that it can play disc-based games, this news is pointless to me. It's post-launch PS3 consoles all over again. Not repurchasing PS2 games unless it's a Sonic title with trophies included.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would certainly be interesting playing Sonic Heroes or Shadow the Hedgehog for the PS2 on the PS4 with trophies! c:

• Thumbs Up 1

It would certainly be interesting playing Sonic Heroes or Shadow the Hedgehog for the PS2 on the PS4 with trophies! c:

Actually now that I think about it. Bad idea. The horror of getting A's in every single level with all teams, the horror of just playing Shadow the Hedgehog itself. I wouldn't mind playing the games again for lulz, but I do not wish trophy support. Getting a platinum for both games will be a disaster.

There's only one thing it needs to make it perfect: Let people who still have their PS2 discs lying around use the emulation by basically doing the same thing Microsoft's 360 emulator does: Link it to the store page, let you download for free, but requires the disc to play it.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's not gonna happen, at least till the PS5, the PS3 is notorious for having really weirdly made hardware that makes developing for it a pain, an emulator cannot be made, at least not yet.

PS2 games on PS4. Very interesting to see that where that goes and is ita real backwards compatibility or just having those games on Store. It would be great if it was real compatibility because I have PS2 games but my consol doesn't work very well.

PS3 emulation is probably impossible (and the PS Now is a joke) but what about PS1-games? I personally wouldn't mind not having PS1 compatibility too much because I'm keeping my PS3 anyway but if they can do PS2 why wouldn't they be able to PS1 also?

I hope we won't have to download the games on the PS4 like Xbox One users do with their 360 games. I'd really like to just put in the disk and play, you know?

I hope we won't have to download the games on the PS4 like Xbox One users do with their 360 games. I'd really like to just put in the disk and play, you know?

You're gonna have to. It needs to download the textures and other things in order to run the game in the emulator.

Is anyone having an issue with Trophies being posted on Facebook? I have it set to auto (or at least thought I did) and I've unlocked probably 10 since then, but only 2 of them are showing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fan Favorite PS2 Games Launching on PS4 Tomorrow

We are getting things started with a bang by launching with eight fan favorites tomorrow:
Dark Cloud — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
The Mark of Kri — $14.99
Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
War of the Monsters — $9.99

Having these titles available on PS4 is already incredibly exciting for us, but we did not stop there. We have brought these titles forward to meet today’s gaming standards by adding Trophy support! Each title’s Trophy set has been carefully developed in conjunction with feedback from the original creators to be sure that they capture the spirit and feeling of each game.

Also, you will be able to experience all of these PS2 games like never before — in up-rendered 1080p with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.

And if you’re attending PlayStation Experience in San Francisco this weekend, you’ll be able to play these PS2 games on PS4 at the show floor:
Dark Cloud
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PaRappa the Rapper 2 (coming soon)
Rogue Galaxy
The King of Fighters 2000 (coming soon)
The Mark of Kri
War of the Monsters

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/04/fan-favorite-ps2-games-launching-on-ps4-tomorrow/ 

Also, don't forget that Dark Chronicle/Cloud 2 and Ape Escape 2 were rated by PEGI. Fantavision is in the trailer, but not mentioned in the Press Release. And then there's the three already released Star Wars games.

Well, I checked out the PS2 Classics portion of the PS4 store, and it's a complete fucking rip off.

If you bought the games previously (I had previously bought GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas), Sony now want you to repurchase those games and at an even higher price than before, nearly £5 more than what you previously had to pay (Usually, they're £8, and I believe GTA games are even higher). Now they want you to pay £12 to get one PS2 classic.

Sony, you are flat out taking the fucking piss.

I appreciate that PS2 games are finally on the PS4. I might jump on it, seeing as how I never bought one on the PS3.

However, the PS4 controller doesn't seem to have a proper select button, based on what I'm seeing.

I appreciate that PS2 games are finally on the PS4. I might jump on it, seeing as how I never bought one on the PS3.

However, the PS4 controller doesn't seem to have a proper select button, based on what I'm seeing.

I believe Select/Start are mapped to clicking the left/right sides of the touchpad.

There's only one thing it needs to make it perfect: Let people who still have their PS2 discs lying around use the emulation by basically doing the same thing Microsoft's 360 emulator does: Link it to the store page, let you download for free, but requires the disc to play it.

You had one fucking job, Sony. One. Job.

You had one fucking job, Sony. One. Job.

I don't think it works that easily buddy, just be happy you have the option to purchase some ps2 games from the shop and play them. There are only 8 games to choose from at the moment anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's not that big of a deal.

I have to agree.

Lots of old PS2/Xbox era games are now popping up on steam with very few enhancements, yet there's no demand for 'well I bought this back in X why can't I download it now?'

Surely if you have a PS2 game you absolutely love and want to play, you have the system to play it on?

• Thumbs Up 2

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't want you to repurchase PS2 Classics that you downloaded on PS3. That's just a flat out scummy move.

• Thumbs Up 3