Awoo.

Who has beaten Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels?

Solid SOAP

212951-game_supermariobroslostlevels_large.png

I just beat the All-Stars collector's edition of this, and I honest to God loved it. Hardest Mario I've ever played, but conquering the ludicrously difficult level designs is some of the most rewarding platforming I've ever done. It got to the point where I replayed levels so much due to constant dying, that I was able to speed-run a good chunk of them with almost perfect reflex. The shit this game pulls is unreal, such as multiple Bowsers in some castles and warp zones that take you back to the first world. Amazing. It's bizarre to think how tame the difficulty of modern Nintendo games is today, pushing out dead-easy titles like Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess when they used to be the king of frustrating games completely behooves me. I know very few would agree, but I'd love to see another Mario game like this. Honestly, if Nintendo made, like, 'New Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels' or something, I would buy it in an instant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly never played it myself but I've read enough on it. I've always seen it as the Mario eqivilent of The Master Levels of Doom 2

I've cleared it a few times as a kid, I honestly don't know what pushed me to keep going as many times as I died. Then again I'm a stubborn crazy ass so I just roll with it.

Doesn't the All-Stars version give you infinite continues for each world? I've watched a Let's Play of it, and I gotta say anyone who could get through the entire thing without getting a Game Over would be some kind of Super Mario virtuoso.

I'm pretty proud that I managed to beat the Perfect Run at the end of Super Mario Galaxy 2, but the original vanilla version of Super Mario 2 is way outta my league.

The game's not difficult. It's level design genius.

That is the best way to put it in my eyes. I never beat it, but i loved the crap out of it!
  • Thumbs Up 1

I beat the SNES version on emulator with a GameCube controller, though made a point of not using save states, just so I could say, as a Mario fan, I had beaten it. All 5 extra worlds too of course.

It was great fun, very satisfying, though I have no craving to play it again. I think Mario 3D Land's Special Worlds were pretty decent, and the final stage was brutal enough for my tastes.

The one problem with All-Stars is you can't just go back to it for funsies. You have to dedicate yourself. If you stop playing it like every day, you will become bad at it again.

I admit as well, had I not know in advance not to use warp zones, I might not have forced myself to do a full runthrough of every single level.

Don't forget though guys that the original NES games let you continue from the start of the world you were on if you hold A and push start after getting a Game Over (or B... can't remember). Obviously even starting a few levels back is horrible on a game this hard though.

Edited by JezMM

Never bothered with it. I might try it, but considering the playthrough I watched, it seems more dickish than hard.

I beat the first 8 (or was it 9?) worlds a couple years ago, though the A,B,C,D worlds can go fuck itself.

This is ridiculously hard, yet oh so satisfying to beat.

Don't forget though guys that the original NES games let you continue from the start of the world you were on if you hold A and push start after getting a Game Over (or B... can't remember). Obviously even starting a few levels back is horrible on a game this hard though.

Yeah, SMB and TLL weren't much less convenient than the SNES versions actually, unlike what everyone thinks. Both games have a level select after you beat them, and TLL can let you start back from the same world if you get a Game Over.

I think the game is pretty fun tho.

Edited by Koopalmier

I first beat it (the truncated version) on Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, and then on the SNES version. I accessed World 9 on the latter, something my cousin apparently never managed. Frankly, I hate this game, and the American SMB2 is a far more enjoyable follow-up.

It's not nearly as hard as something like say, Super Meat Boy, but Meat Boy has the advantage of having pitch-perfect controls and environment interaction. Mario 1 and 2J's controls are just too hard to get used to, and it does not fit the difficulty of the second game if you ask me.

Mario 2 USA may not have been a real Mario game but it sported enough of Mario's feel to survive the localization, and it's just a lot more fun and goofy.

• Thumbs Up 8

Mario 1 and 2J's controls are just too hard to get used to

..; wut ? how the hell do you hold the controller ? I personally think SMB and TLL's controls are pretty easy to get used to... I know it's just your opinion but I'm curious about what do you back it up with. Is it because of the physics ?

Eh. Depends. The NES version is easy to get used to IMO, but it's true the SNES versions takes much longer.

I honestly think I like The Lost Levels better than SMB1, obviously Mario 1 started it all, but Lost Levels just feels so much more 'compact' and I really love the challenge. Being able to speed-run levels that initially took me hours is an amazing feeling, and it's pitiful sense of challenge is genuinely hilarious. This is one game that although it's horribly difficult, is a blast to play and I very rarely get frustrated. The way it puts invisible blocks right before a big jump, sending you careening to your death is done so in a way that you just know the developers were having fun when they made this game.

I cannot for the life of me pass world 7-2. That godamn wind. It's very tough for sure, I'm pretty sure at least a few "lazy americans" could beat it, but we got the Doki Doki Panic clone...

:/

I have to agree with Sean that Mario 1's controls and physics are really damn... weird. Mario feels super stiff, the way he jumps feels too slow going up and too fast going down. There's a really weird trick to getting a full length jump without a decent run-up, that can be very frustrating when you mess it up.

I also have to give props for mention to Mario 2 (USA) as well. It was my first ever game and still one of my favourites. Waaaaaay more fun than Lost Levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

Depressed Miyamoto designs the hardest games.

I remember beating the hell out of this game and loving every minute of it on Super Mario All-Stars as a kid, including all bonus levels. I'm so glad they brought back the power-down Poison Mushroom in Mario Land 3D.

Edited by Kintobor

Weird! I contemplated Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels recently. I find it awesome that you beat the game! I could never beat it. I wasn't able to beat the first Super Mario Bros. until I was 21 or 22. I dunno why... don't ask. Maybe I'll be 41 or 42 when I finally beat Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels.

Question: is it easier to beat it with Mario or Luigi? I read that they have different abilities. I read that Luigi jumps higher. Right?

I don't think I've even played this one all that much, but then I've never even beaten the original Super Mario Bros. >__>;

I've finished the GBA ports of 2 (USA), 3 and World as far as I can remember, although I'm aware those version were made easier in certain ways from the originals, weren't they?

That reminds me, I actually downloaded the Virtual Console version of World a few months back but dropped it around halfway for some reason. I should try going back to that sometime.

I used to just think this was an extended SMB when I was young. I never actually attempted to go through it on my SNES, but I downloaded the NES version on the Wii's Virtual Console a few years back and loved it. I only ever made it to World 9, but I'll probably go back to it eventually.

But daaaamn is this game hard.

I have on Virtual Console, but I haven't beaten it. It's Nintendo Hard platforming at it's best worst

Well that and I have a bunch of other games that I haven't completed as of the moment.

I don't think I've even played this one all that much, but then I've never even beaten the original Super Mario Bros. >__>;

I've finished the GBA ports of 2 (USA), 3 and World as far as I can remember, although I'm aware those version were made easier in certain ways from the originals, weren't they?

Mario 3 and World are pretty decently representative of the original games, they just let you save more often and have a few little tweaks to compensate for the reduced field of view on the GBA.

Mario 2 though was majorly fiddled with. There's an extra health mushroom on every stage, it throws 1-Ups out the hoo-hah for when you defeat several enemies in a row (and they set up lots of new opportunities to do so, especially with the new giant enemies). They also shuffled the bosses a bit. World 3 has a new boss (slightly out of character in how complex it's attack pattern is), and World 6's rather brutal second Tryclyde boss was replaced with the original World 3's second Mouser battle. Also in the original you got two continues and no way to earn any more.

The original Mario 2 is fairly well-designed difficulty-wise, honestly I thought the GBA port, while fun, went a bit too overboard in making it accessible for modern audiences.

The saving and infinite continues in the All-Stars version is probably the best way to play the original without it being brutal. Though I'll always prefer the original because I wasn't hugely fond of the parpy-parp-parp they did with the 16-bit versions of the music and sound.

Yeah, I've beaten it.

It felt like it was merely yesterday I had a sleepover at my best friend's house. Last year he had gotten new composite cables for his SNES. With that, we would play games like Yoshi's Island and Mega Man X, reminiscing of the good old times. Finally, there was Super Mario All-Stars. A game which my friend had not yet experienced in full, still having never played Super Mario Bros. 2 up until that point.

And before us lay the fated option of choosing The Lost Levels. A game which we had both experienced prior, but never managed to keep enough patience to get past the first few stages.

Next to us there were bowls filled to the brim with nachos and candy. Bottles of coke were next to us, and it was 9 PM. My friend was busy making some music while my laptop was still idling. For a minute we looked at each other and then we knew what had to be done. Full play through. No warp zones. Luigi only. Final destination.

What followed was 8 hours of laughs, pain, agony, stress and good memories. And then we made it. To the last world. But at that point we realized we couldn't do it alone anymore.

And then

• Thumbs Up 7