Awoo.

South Park: The current state of the show

pppp

So i just finished watching the most recent episode "Faith Hilling" and it was so bad i decided to make this topic.

Let me start by saying that i started watching this show back when it started in the 90s, so i know this show extremely well. In recent years the show became something completely different. All the funny stuff was slowly replaced with social commentary, to the point that it basically became "Social Commentary the Show". Not only that, but the social commentary is so unsubtle it's painful to watch. The most recent episode took the awfulness to a whole new level.The episode literally insults the unhappy fans like me by calling them "faggots" and telling them to "go back to the 90s". The episode even ends by basically outright saying that we're stupid for even watching the show(in an incredibly unsubtle way of course). Those that have not seen the episode yet and don't know what the fuss is about can watch it here:

http://www.southpark...3-faith-hilling

Well that does it for me, I'm done. I'm never watching any new episodes of this show ever again. I know when I'm being insulted. From now on i will keep rewatching older episodes from back when it was charming in it's simplicity and had actual jokes.

What are your thoughts on South Park? Do you disagree with me or do you share my view on it?

Edited by pppp

While the quality of the show is definitely at a low point, I still think it's enjoyable to a certain extent. I can see where you're coming from, as the humor has definitely lost all subtlety, but I wouldn't really say the new episode was insulting the fans. They have tended to use more dated jokes recently, though (that cat clip is so old it's ridiculous). That, and they seem to have a trend of saying a funny joke, and then absolutely running it into the ground by the end of the episode. The episode "The Poor Kid" is a very good example of this.

Overall, it's okay, but nowhere near as good as it used to be. At times it's funny, and other times it just seems incredibly desperate.

• Thumbs Up 1

The show has been primarily social commentary since June 30th, 1999.

It honestly sounds to me like you saw a supremely bad episode (which last week's absolutely was, don't get me wrong) and are flipping tables as a result of that more than anything else, because your post is half complaining about something that has been the case longer than not and half complaining about that specific episode.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 4

The episode about the meme cats was Somewhat funny. That is one of the rare times i actually pay attention to that show. The one about mormons though was pretty misguided to a huge extent but was still funny to me. Nowadays it's politics,religion and the world the show now essentially. And the characters are bigger dicks than before. I don't like that.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Don't like current South Park?

I'm kidding, obviously, but either way I'm enjoying the show nowadays as much as I always have. Sure, it's a completely different level and style of humour to what it once was, but it's still an enjoyable show. I like it because, as much as it's not to everyone's taste, it's different compared to everything else. If I want a certain type of comedy from a show, I know where to look.

Also, you're complaining about South Park being insulting? I...don't get when this hasn't been a thing.

Edited by Swiss
  • Thumbs Up 4

Are you kidding me? Yes, I want the Boondocks back too. Uncle Ruckus is the funniest character on that show! I watch it for Uncle Ruckus!

South Park gets better and better every season. It has been getting better and better since season 10 or 11. The writing is ultra brilliant. They really know how to go with the times. The last episode was pure brilliance and awesomeness! It had to do with cats and I am a cat person. It was waaaaaaaaaaaay too hilarious! South Park at a low point? Yeah, right!

I'm a huge fan of South Park. I've been watching it since the year it premiered. Definitely one of my favorite shows of all-time, it's up there with MLP: FiM, The Simpsons and Metalocalypse.

A lot of you probably already know this, but I never liked South Park to begin with. And even I can tell that it's nothing like what it used to be. Whether that's a bad or good thing is strictly up to the viewer.

The most recent episode took the awfulness to a whole new level.The episode literally insults the unhappy fans like me by calling them "faggots" and telling them to "go back to the 90s". The episode even ends by basically outright saying that we're stupid for even watching the show(in an incredibly unsubtle way of course).

Honestly, I think you have read into that way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too much. South Park is rarely subtle with its humor, and there was nothing in that scene that made me think they were ripping on anyone in particular. All I saw was satire on how quickly meme's become irrelevant. Nothing more, nothing less. If anything, ANYTHING, it seems more like the guy saying "go back to the 90's" would be a fan telling South Park to go back to their older style. Of course, now we're just getting into Scrotie McBoogerballs territory here.

Granted, last week's wasn't the best episode. But the one from two week's ago about the J & G shopping network? Am I wrong for counting that as one of my favorite episodes in the last several years? I rarely watch an episode of a show within the same week I first view it, but I did with Cash for Gold. I loved it that much. I really don't think South Park is in any kind of slump right now. I might have said so a year ago during the first half of Season 15, which I regard as the worst run of episodes in the entire history of the show. But it picked up after the mid-season break.

Before I close this off, I also need to bring up a recent character development that has become a defining moment of the show for me:

200px-KennyMcCormick.png

Mysterion.png

Call me crazy, I think this is a stroke of pure genius. They took the show's most famous running gag (THEY KILLED KENNY) and turned it into a defining character trait for a character who really needed some development. Now I'll freely admit I'm a sucker for anything superhero-related, and to find out this bad-ass kid was actually Kenny (Who was my favorite character when I was a kid) was a huge crowning moment of awesome. And it's not like they did this for just one episode either, as Mysterion showed up again at the end of last season. I don't know if Mysterion has any kind of fandom, but I for one look forward to seeing more of him.

The show has been primarily social commentary since June 30th, 1999.

This. South Park has been social commentary for the vast majority of its run, it's what the show has become known for. Even before the movie, there were still plenty of rips at celebrities and then-current events, they just weren't usually the focus of entire episodes.

The episode about the meme cats was Somewhat funny. That is one of the rare times i actually pay attention to that show. The one about mormons though was pretty misguided to a huge extent but was still funny to me. Nowadays it's politics,religion and the world the show now essentially. And the characters are bigger dicks than before. I don't like that.

They did exaggerate a bit about the Mormon beliefs, but as someone who was raised Mormon I found their portrayal of a typical Mormon family to be spot on. When they're at church, that's EXACTLY how they act. They want everyone else to think their family is this perfect, wholesome, clean-cut, charitable group that is always upbeat and full of positivity. Whether or not they actually are once they're by themselves, well, that's going to vary.

Edited by Speederino

They did exaggerate a bit about the Mormon beliefs, but as someone who was raised Mormon I found their portrayal of a typical Mormon family to be spot on. When they're at church, that's EXACTLY how they act. They want everyone else to think their family is this perfect, wholesome, clean-cut, charitable group that is always upbeat and full of positivity. Whether or not they actually are once they're by themselves, well, that's going to vary.

I know that. I'm a mormon. I'm not going to lie when i say that they pretty much got spot on what some mormon families(specifically in utah) Act like. As for what mormons believe though.....Yeah.

The one on Mormons wasn't even really even making fun of them. The main point of the episode (if I'm remembering right), was that a Mormon family and faith is just like any other family.

I'm enjoying the show nowadays as much as I always have. Sure, it's a completely different level and style of humour to what it once was, but it's still an enjoyable show. I like it because, as much as it's not to everyone's taste, it's different compared to everything else. If I want a certain type of comedy from a show, I know where to look.

I'm just about on the same boat as Swiss here. South Park as is always provides enough hilarity for me to gut-bustingly laugh at. I always get a good kick out of the show!

• Thumbs Up 3

Now i'm not saying that the series is super low in quality. It's just as funny and corny as i remember. I can see some differences(like the attitudes) but when i do pay attention to the series i get a couple chuckles.

Sense of humour bypass?

I laughed my arse off all the way through this episode. I think it was one of the most clever episodes to date - I mean, they've managed to create several memes in the episode itself.

If you can't take the subtle messages of South Park in jest (and if you haven't realised by now, they take the piss out of EVERYTHING at some point or another) that's too bad, because I think its one of the few shows that doesn't take itself seriously at all yet can still deliver very stark messages on the current state of society.

T

• Thumbs Up 8

Go back to the 90's faggots? Ok point me to the nearest time machine asap. LOL jk but yeah the show is starting to become less enjoyable to watch now. Think it started more in 2007 then kinda went from there.

My favorite episodes of South Park are the ones where they really show how they're kids, like when Wendy and Cartman fought or the Coon Episodes. Oh and the ones where they showcase the other characters like Craig or someone other than the main 4.

Also, I like silly Episodes like the one about the Internet disappearing or HumanCentiPad because they address what is SO true, we would all freak if we lost Internet and who ACTUALLY reads ALL of the Terms and Agreements... ANYWHERE? I've tried, lol.

While this season is starting off slow, REALLY slow, there's no need to flip tables or throw your hands up and say f*** it, it's not completely worthless, I can see good episodes coming back.

Sense of humour bypass?

I laughed my arse off all the way through this episode. I think it was one of the most clever episodes to date - I mean, they've managed to create several memes in the episode itself.

If you can't take the subtle messages of South Park in jest (and if you haven't realised by now, they take the piss out of EVERYTHING at some point or another) that's too bad, because I think its one of the few shows that doesn't take itself seriously at all yet can still deliver very stark messages on the current state of society.

T

While this season is starting off slow, REALLY slow, there's no need to flip tables or throw your hands up and say f*** it, it's not completely worthless, I can see good episodes coming back.

Meh, South Park has really been hit and miss for me lately. But there's no denying the last episode was terrible.

As someone who's watched South Park since the very beginning, I think that for the most part it's gotten better over the years instead of worse. The first half of the last season was kind of lame yeah, but that aside, I've loved just about every episode I've seen. I don't really see what was so horrible about the last episode; I got some laughs out of it anyway. I actually really liked one of the most recent episodes: Reverse Cowgirl (yes, I have quite an immature sense of humor :P).

If you're taking South Park seriously at all though, then yeah, that's definitely a bad sign...

...*hears train coming*

Oh Long Johnson... Oh Long Johnson! OH LONG JOHNSO-*gets hit by train*

• Thumbs Up 3

I've only consistently watched whatever latest season Viva has playing, which I think is Season 7 or something? I only have the first five seasons on DVD. It's a show that I'd probably watch if it was on, but don't have the hugest desire to hunt out later box sets for. I already know I'm out of touch with South Park, and it doesn't bother me to get myself "in touch".

Yeah, the "Faith Hill" episode was rather lackluster in terms of writing, but I don't think the show has been deteriorating for the last few seasons. The last season was actually pretty good, especially the season finale. It sounds like you are just getting tired of the show, and last weeks episode was the final straw.

Don't read too much into South Park. Right before the season break last year, during the "You're Getting Old" episode, people were wondering if Matt and Trey were depressed and if South Park was ending. They were maybe stressed at the time of the episode but were shocked that people thought the show was possibly ending. Reading into South Park rarely gets people far when Trey and Matt really just go for the laughs.

Unfortunately that episode just wasn't funny.

South Park is definitely not as good as it used to be. Then again the only thing I dislike about the series nowadays is it's littered with pop culture references. Sure it had them in the past, but I guess it's the case of subtlety. Same reason why I never really liked Yu Gi Oh Abridged.

I haven't watched it in ages, I hope the newer aren't too politcal comentry focused, I hope it still has some of the subtle non-sequitur humour the early episodes have. happy.png