Awoo.

Studio Ghibli

KHCast

Since i know everyone is only gonna talk about Hayao Miyazaki(i love him put down the pitchforks) I'm gonna introduce you to Isao Takahata, the other animation master in the studio:

grave-of-the-fireflies1.jpg

The best anti-war movie ever made, period.

I watched this last night and I was crying like a baby at the end. Grave of the Fireflies is one of the very few movies that makes me cry every single time I watch it.

• 1 month later...

Just got finished watching The Wind Rises.

I absolutely loved it. The visuals were beautiful and I loved the background music as well. I thought the story was quite good and there were some tear-jerking scenes as well. One woman was practically crying at the end. I have to admit, some if the dream scene were a little strange though. But still, Miyazaki still shines.

• 6 months later...

I'll give this a news bump - Studio Ghibli is producing its first ever TV series.

1557642_686715728018112_1752669225_n.jpg

Studio Ghibli just announced its first ever TV series, and even more exciting it's an adaptation of a book by Astrid Lindgren. "Sanzoku no Musume Ronja", or "Ronja the Robber's Daughter", will be aired in Japan starting on August 31. It is a coproduction with 3DCG studio Polygon Pictures (known for animating some of Ghost in the Shell, among others), to be directed by Goro Miyazaki. More details are forthcoming.

The story is of a little girl named Ronja, the daughter of a colourful robber chieftain who lives in a castle high on a rock in a dark pine forest. She gets to know the creatures of the forest, meets another kid like herself, and questions her father's life of robbery.

As a fan of Studio Ghibli, and someone who loves Astrid Lindgren's book and the live-action film adaptation, I cannot say how excited I am!

It will be interesting to see the new route Studio Ghibli takes now that it is making TV animes.

Thoughts? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Now's here's something to hype about! Hopefully Goro keeps on the upswing Poppy had him on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Few animated series I know of and/or seen have animation that looks consistently stellar.

Yet an animated series by Studio Ghibli, even if co-produced, sounds waaaaaaaay too good to be true. ouo

• Thumbs Up 1

Omg I know that book! I used to read it back when I lived in Holland. Ronja de Roversdochter!

With a great story to adapt from and Studio Ghibli's lush animation I'm really looking forward to this!

Just got finished reading the news about the new series they're working on. I'm really looking forward to it! Those visuals are looking great too!

Somewhat related, considering this is Kiki's Delivery Service:

Live action version is in the works. Apparently, it's going to be based off of the book, rather than Miyazaki's film.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-25/live-action-kiki-delivery-service-teaser-video-streamed

So, what do you guys think about this?

Well, apart from some questionable looking CGI (especially on the first scene above the water and Jiji) it doesn't look terrible. I'd be kinda interested to see how it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I got to seeing The Wind Rises last night, thoughts copypasta'd from my tumblr:

---

What a truly fantastic, yet perfectly bittersweet swan song for Hayao Miyazaki. Thankfully, it’s way better than Howl’s Moving Castle and Ponyo, the former I found rather disappointing with it’s convoluted plot and unresolved character arcs, and the latter which I liked quite a bit and found charming lacked that extra “oomph” other Miyazaki films had. I’d say this film is honestly up there as one of his best, it has absolutely beautiful animation, especially during the flight sequences. You could definitely tell Hayao had a joyous time with those, considering how all of his films save for one have at least one flying scene, showing his affinity for flight. The background and general artwork is still stunningly gorgeous as well, typical for a Ghibli production.

For his first film driving away from the usual whimsy fantasy films he’s accustomed to, he did a downright great job crafting a realistic, down-to-heart and more human story (not to discredit his other films which have been rather emotionally involving as well). The film is over two hours long, and though it’s slow paced, this helps to develop the characters and make us emotionally attached to them and what they’re going through. Each of the English voice cast did a fantastic job, notably Jospeh Gordon-Levitt’s performance as Jiro Hirokoshi, the main character of the film. He plays him as timid, curious, yet intelligent and caring character, and it works to its fullest potential. Joe Hisaishi’s score is also downright gorgeous as well and still up to snuff with his other scores to Miyazaki films, mixing his usual orchestral style with loud bombast and Italian-styled music. The ending song is also great, even if I’ve heard it from all those times I’ve seen trailers for the film. The one and only complaint I have for this movie is that the ending seemed a bit abrupt. If there were a few more minutes to wrap up things, I thought it would’ve been fine. Otherwise, loved the heck out of it.

I was holding myself back from sobbing, even at moments that weren’t even sad. I even stayed a few minutes in the theater alone after people had left because I still couldn’t absorb the simply excellent film I had just witnessed. I feel like that the film is a metaphor for Miyazaki’s career, when Jiro says “I want to create beautiful airplanes”, it’s the same as Miyazaki saying “I want to create beautiful movies”. This is why this film is just so great, it’s a celebration of imagination and taking yourself to the greatest lengths to fulfill your lifelong passion. For a career that’s spanned nearly four decades, Miyazaki has created truly enchanting and uplifting stories for the entire world to enjoy, whether if it is his final film or not, this is a perfect send-off for one of the greatest directors to grace the world of film.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this topic to inform you that Studio Ghibli's possible last film is playing in select theaters titled "When Marnie was There", based on the book of the same name apparently. Here's the trailer for it:

It also has an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/when_marnie_was_there/?search=when

So yeah, I plan on seeing this, although it's not gonna be showing in my city. This looks like such a good movie though that I'm willing to travel to the city next to me just to watch it.

Here's a website of where there showing the movie:

http://www.marniefilm.com/

• 1 month later...

Another bump. When Marnie Was There finally has a DVD/Blu Ray release of October 6, 2015, on Amazon. It's about time, been waiting to watch this. Never had the chance to see it out of town

http://www.amazon.com/When-Marnie-Was-There-Blu-ray/dp/B00ZAZEEDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440352660&sr=8-1&keywords=when+marnie+was+there&pebp=1440352719739&perid=1NQSY6004A69079ZZEFG

Oh I saw the Marnie one back in February and bought the DVD last month.

A great movie, I loved it. Better than The wind rises.

Oh I saw the Marnie one back in February and bought the DVD last month.

A great movie, I loved it. Better than The wind rises.

Aww seriously? Where did you buy the DVD from?

Aww seriously? Where did you buy the DVD from?

Media Markt. I live in Belgium, so it might not be out where you live yet.