Awoo.

Jet Set Radio

A Spray Can in Tokyo-to

You're now reading the opening post for the official thread for discussion of an awesome series of games! Pity they didn't last long, but quality > quantity, brotha!

This is JET! SET! RADIOOOOOOOOO!

Jet-Set-Radio-LOGO-e1295666911502.jpg

You can gush as much as you like here! Be it that handsome Jet Grind Radio as all you American folks know it, or the smooth Jet Set Radio FUTURE for who had an Xbox back in 2003!

Future, GBA, HD rerelease... waitwait, it's coming out again in widescreen high definition?! Daaaaaaaaamn! SEGA's going all out with the treats! Anyway, now that I'm done explaining things around here, let's listen to the tunes you've all been waiting for!

tl;dr: This is a thread for discussing the Jet Set Radio games. Also, I can't impersonate DJ Prof K to save myself :V

• Thumbs Up 1

inb4 Mark hates on JSRF :P

Without a shadow of a doubt, JSR is one of my favourite series ever. It's gone 2am now and I really can't be bothered to elaborate much more at the moment beyond saying that both games were two of the most unfair commercial failures in video game history (much like Okami). I suppose SEGA has only ever been good at selling one franchise since 1991.

inb4 Mark hates on JSRF tongue.png

Without a shadow of a doubt, JSR is one of my favourite series ever. It's gone 2am now and I really can't be bothered to elaborate much more at the moment beyond saying that both games were two of the most unfair commercial failures in video game history (much like Okami). I suppose SEGA has only ever been good at selling one franchise since 1991.

Didn't that happen to the Dreamcast library in general? "lolads? Who needs them?"

Easily one of the most underloved franchises of all-time. It's funky, it's fresh and everything about it is just so awesome. I love it to death and I really hope we see more of it after the HD release! I should totally do advertising for SEGA.

And the music. Oh man, the music! Pure works of art, every single track!

• Thumbs Up 4

I only have the DC one, which I got a couple years ago, and I LOVE it! The art style, the music, the atmosphere, the concept, it's all wonderful. The controls have aged pretty badly, which can get....well, to be honest, reeeeally frustrating. But I think it makes up for it in its style.

And I think it would be an absolutely brilliant experience to have on an HD console, especially Wii U. Imagine: Jet Set Radio 3, on Wii U, with brilliant HD visuals, refined controls, an all-new soundtrack, and a graffiti editor that utilizes the tablet controller. The world needs that much more than Gears of Halo Theft Auto 5.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait. I'm pretty sure there's a JSR topic lurking around here somewhere.

Anyways I loved this game back then and I'm so glad SEGA is re-releasing it for xblv and PSN. So much nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heard about this the other week!biggrin.png I gotta pop in Jet Set Radio in my Dreamcast to get familiar with it again for the new HD release.

Oh yeah Sega Hinted at Shenmue 1 & 2 as well! Man I can't wait for that.

Edited by Urban Flow
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still have my copy of Jet Set Radio on my Dreamcast (or Jet Grind Radio as it's called here, for some reason...).

The graphics definitely seem dated, but I absolutely love the style of it, as well as the soundtrack. I never actually played through the whole game though, I remember it getting pretty repetitive after a little while. Maybe I should still try and finish it at some point...

• Thumbs Up 1

:V About time a topic beens made for this awesome game. Got a sealed copy for the Dreamcast, gonna eventually open it when I can be borthered to pull my DC out.

But yeah, I hope it's bought back D; Epic franchise, just needs some attention. Which the HD re-release has been doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only have one major beef with JSRF and it's that area that's nothing but rooftops and the rollercoaster area on the other side of it. shitty, shitty annoying stages that were a pain in the ass to navigate, especially when trying to 100% stuff in the game.

oh yeah also unlocking everything was really, really hard. the challenge where you have to jump on the shibuya terminal bus roofs was amazingly hard.

Despite that, I love these games more than any other, they basically kickstarted cel shading as a graphic style, and to be honest, these two still do it the best compared to virtually anything this side of Valkriya. The games are both very differant, fresh takes on platforming/action games and I love them for that. Also, the soundtrack is fucking amazing.

I love jsf

:V About time a topic beens made for this awesome game. Got a sealed copy for the Dreamcast, gonna eventually open it when I can be borthered to pull my DC out.

• Thumbs Up 3

inb4 Mark hates on JSRF tongue.png

Damn, you beat me to it. ;)

Unfortunately I have to leave for work in a few minutes so I don't really have much time to type out five paragraphs repeating why JSRF is one of the worst games I've ever played. :lol: I forced myself to complete it out of a love for the original (which is among my top ten games). Never played the GBA version, but to be honest it looked pretty terrible anyway.

:3 I liked Jet Set Radio and I loved Jet Set Radio Future, I'm a huge fan of Hideki Naganuma's too, so the music is like <3333 to me, asides from Birthday Cake D=< xD

• Thumbs Up 1

I do really love the games but yeah the controls have aged SO bad. It's really clunky and one of those sorta "have to play a few hours before the character will do exactly what you want them to" games.

JSRF was pretty good too, but did have some craaaaap levels and confusing navigation moments here and there amongst all the good stuff.

Though JSRF left a sour final note in my mouth, just because the final boss reused JSR1's music with hardly any remixing, and had it playing for like literally the last 20 minutes of gameplay, both final level AND final boss. Got boring faaaast.

the music is like <3333 to me, asides from Birthday Cake D=< xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Never played the original (I do plan to get it when it arrives on PSN), but I did play the sequel. It was awesome.

*covers his ears and sings to himself because he cannot comprehend how any could enjoy JSRF* D8

Funnily enough I actually liked Birthday Cake in a 'this is so horrifyingly awful that it manages to be good' kind of way.

people don't like birthday cake? really?

that song is amazing.

the only music i didn't like is the stuff that played on that big circular racetrack stage (obnoxious) Also agree about the recycled final boss music.... but the rest was good.

Only thing.... I think JSRF could have used cops during the stages as oppossed to just in the boss style bottles, would have been fun.

Birthday Cake is almost bad enough to warrant JSRF's shortcomings in sales.

• Thumbs Up 2

*covers his ears and sings to himself because he cannot comprehend how any could enjoy JSRF* D8

Funnily enough I actually liked Birthday Cake in a 'this is so horrifyingly awful that it manages to be good' kind of way.

>hates JSRF

>likes Birthday Cake in some way

I think we have a hipster here.

Edited by A Spray Can in Tokyo-to

You know, I'm almost scared for the upcoming XBLA/ PSN rerelease in a way. I haven't played the original in years (probably almost a decade), and I'm actually kind of worried I won't like it as much going back to it.

Awful stage design and fragmented, watered-down gameplay aside, another thing I couldn't stand about JSRF is that the controls were clunky as hell. If the original's controls have aged just as badly, I wonder if I'll end up raging at it in a "It's not as good as I remember it way".

I really hope I'm not just looking at the original through rose-coloured nostalgia goggles. But then even if I am, all my issues with JSRF still stand and the first one is still miles better, whether it really is as good as I remember it being or not. I know the original still wasn't perfect, mind you; after all, at its core JSRF is basically the original with all the good parts taken out and the bad parts padded out to make the whole game, so I'm aware that the original still shares some of Future's problems.

I will say though, I'm pretty surprised they haven't done a new Jet Set Radio on either the Wii or 3DS. Both of them seem like obvious, natural fits for it, especially with the potential for MotionPlus spraycan controls.

I have the original on DC... and I just couldn't get into it. The controls had aged quite badly, and so getting stuff done in the time limit was quite difficult... though a more likely suggestion is I suck at it.

But I won't deny-that music is flippin' brilliant, and the stuff I did play of it... damn, was it good. I just wish there was a free roam sandbox of sorts.

If you have time to play mw3 you have time to pull out that dreamcast. GO! GO! GOO!

I did. I loved it, and so did my Dreamcast. :D

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey assholes, I like birthday cake.

Anyway, never played the original all too much, so I'm excited for the port. Hope if it does well, JSRF also gets and XBLA/PSN release, even though I still have my JSRF/SEGA GT '02 disc.

Edited by MarcelloF

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey assholes, I like birthday cake.

Anyway, never played the original all too much, so I'm excited for the port. Hope if it does well, JSRF also gets and XBLA/PSN release, even though I still have my JSRF/SEGA GT '02 disc.

My sister also had said disc, but it's totally screwed up and we no longer have an Xbox.

I also liked Birthday Cake :V

Edited by Le Quack

• 5 weeks later...

So today I found this:

Took me by surprise when I was listening to Lain's soundtrack for sure!

• Thumbs Up 1