Awoo.

Dragon Ball Z Kinect

Marcello

details from KaizEX (DaizEX merged with another site):

Aww damnit, I wanted to beat the crap have fun with my friends. sad.png but I like the hor girl thats bouncing around in the preview, nothings says "try my game" like a booth babe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht79JZk3YfE

Haha, wow, just wow. Not even the skimpy outfit that chick was wearing could distract me from how stupid she looked through that entire video. This game is looking worse and worse. And like the Cheese said and others have said, no multiplayer? If I'm going to look like an idiot, I might as well do it to another person looking like an idiot for shits and giggles.

A-Class entertainment here folks.

Edited by Solkia

After watching this, I look like Brock in Solkia's sig. Everything Microsoft advertises for the 360 is Kinect titles, I'm tired of it. Owning a PC, PS3, and a Wii, I literally look at my XBOX 360 and wonder why the hell I still have it around the house.

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised none of you got offended by the QR card feature. You do realize that this basically a more expensive and inconvenient implementation of day-1 on-the-disc DLC?

I'm surprised none of you got offended by the QR card feature. You do realize that this basically a more expensive and inconvenient implementation of day-1 on-the-disc DLC?

I'm not offended because I'm not buying it :U

• Thumbs Up 5

After watching this, I look like Brock in Solkia's sig. Everything Microsoft advertises for the 360 is Kinect titles, I'm tired of it. Owning a PC, PS3, and a Wii, I literally look at my XBOX 360 and wonder why the hell I still have it around the house.

Hey if you don't want it I'll gladly take it off your hands, XB360 is more then just "Lawlkinectgamez" to me.

Keep in mind he is just a PR guy and he did say "Were not planning any multiplayer at the moment, but we may have some announcements down the road." so it may be planned just not being told, we will see.

Edited by goku262002

now now...it's still very early to be bashing everything about this game...from the looks of it, this is gonna be the first DBZ game that's actually immersive...I'm actually looking forward to it...the only thing that's got me worried is the lag....and I pretty much expected no multiplayer...that kind of technology doesn't work well with more than one person. I'd like to see more footage of it myself...but it looks like its gonna be entertaining....for me at least....but hell..I'm THAT kind of fan

Keep in mind he is just a PR guy and he did say "Were not planning any multiplayer at the moment, but we may have some announcements down the road." so it may be planned just not being told, we will see.
If multiplayer gameplay in a fighting game isn't a priority right from day fuckin' one, let alone in the books, then you've basically already fucked up badly. The absolute main draw of a fighting game - being able to punch human beings in the face without fear of physical retribution - is really not something you should throw in as an afterthought.

Incidentally, I would laugh so fucking hard if it turned out they intend to give multiplayer in the form of paid DLC ala RE5. That's about the final nail in the coffin needed to prove that Spike has officially lost the plot, and right now it would not surprise me in the slightest if they turned out to be really that damned stupid.

now now...it's still very early to be bashing everything about this game...from the looks of it, this is gonna be the first DBZ game that's actually immersive

o.png

Immersive would be a first person perspective maintained consistently throughout the entire fight regardless of context. Immersive would be a game that lets you do what you want when you want to, and not just throwing QTEs at you because it saves them the trouble of maintaining a single gameplay style. Immersive would be a game that doesn't expect you to throw punches to maintain a fuckin' beam tug-o-war. Immersive would be not throwing a kick to punch someone several miles away because they clearly couldn't be fucked to change any of the chase combo animations from the previous game. Hell, while we're at it, immersive would be would be designing a game from the ground up to support motion control and anything other than re-using the entireity of Ultimate Tenkaichi's assets and gameplay and lazily slapping some generic gestures onto it.

Everything about this game screams "ludicrously cheap shovelware motion port of a game that was obviously designed with buttons in mind", and from every indication thus far it's clearly just as halfassed as the Wii port of Twilight Princess, if not moreso. They even left the scripted QTE chase combos completely intact, in third person, as if it was somehow too much trouble to recreate Tenkaichi/Raging Blast style chase combos in first person like the rest of the damn game. Calling something like this immersive just for the sake of using motion controls is an insult to the concept of immersion, and for that to change would essentially require them to drop the whole thing and start from scratch at this point. So no, I wouldn't say it's too early to call Spike out for it. They've already shown more than enough material to strongly imply that it's something they really ought to be ashamed of.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh wow, looks like there's gonna be yet another bad game for the Kinect. Seriously, is there one good game for that thing besides a dancing game? This makes me glad that I never owned a Kinect to begin with since it's library is mostly dancing simulators, sports games, bad racing titles, and other games. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Wii, DS, 3DS, PS3, and PSP from now on since the 360 is littered with this shit these days. :/

Edited by Arle985

This clip looks and feels more entertaining than the game itself:

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 4

The problem with the Kinect, is that it's inherently limited compared to other motion control types using actual controllers. Extra Credits makes the point that it's the "uncanny valley" of controller types, and it is much more difficult to make the Kinect as immersive as any other controller type on the market. And what you can do with the Kinect is much, much more limited than what you can do with other controller types.

That's why it's so limited to stuff like shovelware and dancing games, and it's also why only the homebrew scene has actually found some genuinely neat uses for it.

The Kinect, for the most part, simply fucking sucks.

• 2 months later...

Bump, Yeah so anybody remember that "awesome" DBZ Kinect game coming later this year?

Episode of Bardock anime is the special. hopefully its FUCKING ENGLISH this time. also SS Bardock is playable.

If Episode of Bardock is gonna be a sub, it's so not worth it. Hell, it wouldn't be worth it in any case, just youtube it.

And the game still looks completely embarrassing.

On another note, Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor tried using the regular controller in combination with the Kinect. I saw the latest Zero Punctuation, which devoted less than a minute to the game... Only for Yahtzee to declare it utterly unplayable and just moved on to Quantum Conundrum, meaning his 'review' of SB:HA was the most scathing in the show's history. Jesus, if combining the normal 360 controller and Kinect results in an utterly unplayable game, I don't think the Kinect will get a remotely decent 'hardcore' title, period, barring some miracle.

If Episode of Bardock is gonna be a sub, it's so not worth it. Hell, it wouldn't be worth it in any case, just youtube it.

How do you know its going to be a sub? do you have any infomation that backs this?

I've seen the subbed version I just like to hear some voice actors I'm used to in my own language.

Well, it's likely going to be a sub, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. The "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" movie that came with Raging Blast 2 was subbed, not dubbed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump. So I see this game being chatted about in the statuses and wondering what is going on with it. anybody here preordering?

I got the game a couple of days ago.

Most of the assets (characters models, animations, dialogue) seem to be recycled from Raging Blast 2.

It controls... a little better than expected, for a Kinect title, admittedly. Aside from a couple of gestures that it struggles to recognise, it actually holds up surprisingly well. That said, that's largely because a lot of the game is automated, and it largely comes down to being glorified motion-controlled QTEs with the odd bit of punch and kick spamming in between. Whilst it certainly 'works' for the most part and is decent fun for a while, it does get quite repetitive quite quickly (just like DBZ itself - zing) and the fights drag on for much, much longer than they need to (just like DBZ itse-- okay, I'll stop now).

It's not bad, but it's not really good, either. It's a bit better than I was expecting, though. It's a shame how heavily it abridges parts of the story, though. It almost just shows the fights. Hell, it doesn't even show the resolution of the Goku/ Vegeta match after you win the fight, and skips straight from fighting Frieza to fighting him as a Super Saiyan- nothing in between, no transformation or anything.

It probably isn't helped by the dodgy lighting in my room (light is to one side, meaning the light isn't evenly distributed, but it did get quite annoying playing last night. I lost to Frieza on my first try because the game outright would not register a couple of my moves, despite me doing them perfectly. I didn't run into this problem elsewhere during the day, so I suspect it's partly to do with playing at night in non-ideal lighting.

Oh, as far as I know (only picked it once by accident), Episode of Bardock is sub-only again, although personally I have no problem with that since the first thing I do in any Sonic or anime-based game is set the voices to Japanese anyway.

Yeah I posted about that its right there bolded about 3 posts up!

Now imma going to break this quote down.

I got the game a couple of days ago.

Didn't think anyone here was getting it.

Most of the assets (characters models, animations, dialogue) seem to be recycled from Raging Blast 2.

Raging Blast? I thought the assets were recycled from Ultimate Tenkaichi which is recycled from the japanese arcade game DBZ ZENKAI BATTLE ROYALE?

It controls... a little better than expected, for a Kinect title, admittedly. Aside from a couple of gestures that it struggles to recognise, it actually holds up surprisingly well. That said, that's largely because a lot of the game is automated, and it largely comes down to being glorified motion-controlled QTEs with the odd bit of punch and kick spamming in between. Whilst it certainly 'works' for the most part and is decent fun for a while, it does get quite repetitive quite quickly (just like DBZ itself - zing) and the fights drag on for much, much longer than they need to (just like DBZ itse-- okay, I'll stop now).

I should slap you for those bad puns. but you do bring up a point, it sounds like DBZ UT without a controller.

It's not bad, but it's not really good, either. It's a bit better than I was expecting, though. It's a shame how heavily it abridges parts of the story, though. It almost just shows the fights. Hell, it doesn't even show the resolution of the Goku / Vegeta match after you win the fight, and skips straight from fighting Frieza to fighting him as a Super Saiyan- nothing in between, no transformation or anything.

Wow how very lackluster. sounds like its probable vote for "Worst 3D game retelling of the DBZ storyline".

It probably isn't helped by the dodgy lighting in my room (light is to one side, meaning the light isn't evenly distributed, but it did get quite annoying playing last night. I lost to Frieza on my first try because the game outright would not register a couple of my moves, despite me doing them perfectly. I didn't run into this problem elsewhere during the day, so I suspect it's partly to do with playing at night in non-ideal lighting.

I think thats just Kinect's problem overall. I heard this similar compliant with other Kinect games.

Oh, as far as I know (only picked it once by accident), Episode of Bardock is sub-only again, although personally I have no problem with that since the first thing I do in any Sonic or anime-based game is set the voices to Japanese anyway.

Fucken-A, AGAIN?! Seriously I want some god damned dub respect over here. KAI showed that FUNi can do a good DBZ dub why can't the studios just work something out so we can have all these JP only specials dubbed. Guess I'll just wait for Abridged to do something...