Awoo.

The Super Sexy Sonic Voice Actors

Nintendoga

I honestly have to say, the only Sonic voice-actor I truly disliked was Drummond, he had a pretty good voice and all, but everything he said sounded so corny, which could've been due to the writers, but still. My most favorite Sonic voice has to be Griffith, when I think of Sonic the Hedgehog, I think of him having that voice, Griffith was really good towards his final days. (Unleashed and Black Knight.) Now Roger Craig Smith on the other hand, is probably my second favorite voice, he does a pretty good job as Sonic, in my opinion, but Griffith tops both of them.

Now, moving onto Classic Sonic...

Jaleel White is probably my favorite Classic Sonic, and if he were to have had a voice in Generations, I would've picked White over Burke, but that's mostly because I've always liked Jaleel White, and his performance as Sonic the Hedgehog, and I've never really liked Martin Burkes performance of Sonic, he just didn't sound like Sonic to me. (Also, I actually listened to Martin Burke as Classic Sonic before Jaleel White.)

There's my opinion.

Edited by Ultimate Symbiotic-Freddie
  • Thumbs Up 2

Roger is the main man for me.

Right off from his debut, he had a good voice, at least to me. I didn't have to get used to it or wait for him to get better like Griffith.

I just like how mature he sounds, but not mature to the point where Sonic seems lifeless such as in Sonic X, he also has the ability to give Sonic a good amount of energy and quirkiness without phoning it in like Drummond. Not to mention he sounds far more comfortable in the role than the others did, it all sounds very natural.

He's still relatively new, and I would love to see how he would handle games with a more serious tone to see how good his range his, but regardless im loving his voice so far.

Come to think of it, it seems the big 3 of Sonic voice actor-y are like the 3 stages of adolescence.

Drummond as a hip young preteen-teenager that uses all the cool slang and whatnot, Griffith as an emotional though still somewhat silly late teenager, and Roger as mostly mature adult with a good sense of humor.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 7

The OP is fucking amazing.

Yeah, Roger, hands down. His tone may take some getting used to, but he's best by the best actor of the lot as his lines just sound so natural coming from his mouth(....sorry).

Honorable mention goes to Griffith, yeah he started off shaky, but by the end of his run(particularly from 2007 onward) he had Sonic down to a tee, and I was kind of sad to see him go to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't stand Roger as Sonic, he just doesn't sound fitting for Sonic, to me at least. I prefer Jason's cartoony voice.

except when he fucking laughs...

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right now I like Roger the best so much that he instantly replaced Ryan Drummond as my favorite after one game. Yes, I like the more mature 'deeper' tone he had in Colors. It just makes Sonic sound so badass and he was a nice blend of Ryan Drummond and Jaleel White. I was a bit disappointed when it sounded higher in Generations. But the fans wanted his Sonic voice to sound higher so meh. :\ Atleast it sounds more fitting and Sonic like now.

I still like Ryan but I'm not crazy about him anymore and have already moved on. I think I even like Jason Griffith more then him now. Yeah, Griffith started off pretty rough but he gotten so much better in the storybook games and Unleashed.

Edited by sonfan1984

Who was Sonic's VA in brawl? Also I dig Roger Craig as Sonic. I'll admit it was a shock to the system to hear Sonic talk in such a deep voice in Colors compared to Drummond and Griffith but I've grown to like it a lot. RCS also has a chilled, relaxed delivery that's great for Sonic's personality in Colors: a hedgehog who doesn't take himself seriously and never gets psyched out by anything.

Roger Craig Smith is definitely, by far my favorite voice actor for Sonic. His voice just seems to suit Sonic's character so well, and it sounds so natural, and not forced like other voice actors (which I'll get to in a second). Roger pulls off the snarky jokes really well and, well, overall I just really like his voice for Sonic.

I also like Ryan Drummond's Sonic voice quite a bit. At times it was a bit overly-cheesy, although with scripts like Sonic Heroes', it's understandable. There were also a few bad moments ("Watch out! Your gonna crash! Ahhh!"), but overall I think Ryan did a pretty good job as Sonic.

I'm sorry guys, but, I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Jason Griffith. Whenever he voiced Sonic, his lines would always sound forced and unnatural. He also seemed to like to overemphasize practically every other word, which bothered me quite a bit. I'll admit he definitely got a lot better towards the end in Unleashed and Black Knight, but that's still not saying a whole lot.

This is probably based completely on nostalgia, but I have a huge fondness for Jaleel White's Urkel-esque Sonic voice. It fits the classic '90s Sonic perfectly. Probably wouldn't work too well for Sonic now though...

Edited by mikeblastdude
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never liked Roger as a voice for Sonic. I have no Idea why. Probably because I could never get used to it. I was so used to Ryan and Jason's voice; When I heard Roger Craig.............I was like......."What?"

I came into this topic with my flame shield, but it doesn't look like I have to use it here. *puts it down* Great! smile.png

Jason Griffith is my favorite Sonic voice actor. In fact, it was Jason's Sonic that I first heard after being away from the fandom for 15 years. When I first heard the voice, it found it being both calm and appealing, something I didn't recall Sonic sounding like before. And I guess I was drawn to it immediately, I don't know how to describe it. But the voice Jason gave Sonic sounded perfect to me, I loved it. I admit was rather upset when I learned that he wasn't voicing Sonic anymore.

It took me a while to get used to Roger Craig Smith, but I must say I like him. The deeper tone he used for Sonic in Sonic Colors caught me off guard and I found it very unfitting. I remember when Sonic Wrecks and Sonic Retro showed that 4th cutscene so we could hear Sonic and Tails' new voices for the first time. Hearing Sonic with a deep voice drove me crazy! I couldn't stand it at first, but it eventually grew on me. Raising the pitch in Sonic Generations sounded much better IMO, sounding much more like Sonic. But in Mario & Sonic at the 2012 London Olympic games Smith sounds off on occasion. He is an excellent actor, being extremely talented and I hope he will stick around as Sonic for many years to come.

Sure nostalgia screams out when I think of Jaleel White's Sonic, but he was the first to give Sonic a voice with a ton of personality that many of us came to know and love. Too bad he didn't voice Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations...that would of been amazing! As much I love White's voice for Sonic, I don't think it would work well today.

Martin Burke was okay. It wasn't the worst that I heard. I can't say too much about him either.

I know I am of the minority, but Ryan Drummond was my least favorite voice actor for Sonic. I liked the energy he gave Sonic, but it was just that something about his voice seemed off. I can't put my finger on it. It just didn't sound like Sonic to me with the voice that Drummond gave him; it sounded very annoying to me. I'm sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dang, this topic is so sexy my eyes melted from the OP lol.

Roger is my favourite. Even though the tone.............takes getting used too, he's still the best actor in terms of actual acting to make up for it. And Colours was his best performance IMO, in Generations he sounds like he's....forcing it so to speak. Trying too hard.I don't know, maybe it's the lines they gave him?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Jaleel White.... he sounds terrible as Sonic by today's standards, and even then he sounded pretty cheesy. Even as a 6-year old I cringed at some of his lines. But to be fair, that obnoxious voice was coupled with some questionable writing. Probably my least favorite.

Martin Burke, while probably the most radically different voice for Sonic, I find fairly enjoyable for some reason. I would never want him to be an actor in the games, but for the OVA's more smartass-y rendition of Sonic I thought he did a pretty good job. I wouldn't really even compare him to the others in terms of how much I like them.

Ryan Drummond is probably my favorite - which is sad, because his career as Sonic ended before he could be given many good scripts (some could argue that none of the games he was in have good scripts, but I thought SA2 had okay dialogue). His acting sounds awful because he was given cheesy lines and poor direction. But he's my favorite because his voice just naturally sounds like what I would expect coming out of the blue blur. His voice is naturally high-energy, exciting, and full of attitude, and whenever I imagine Sonic's voice in my head it's always Drummond's voice. I'm not saying he's the best actor of the bunch, but his voice will always be the true Sonic voice to me. My fave.

Jason Griffith... I'll be honest, I really didn't like him as Sonic for the most part. When he first started out he was awful, and though he has improved throughout the games, I don't think I see as much improvement as most others do. His range of emotions just seems kinda limited compared to other actors, his voice often came off as annoying (especially when he laughs), and there just wasn't a lot of variety in his line delivery. Towards the end he definitely got better, having a bit more attitude and personality, but I still don't think he was ever that great. He started out terrible, and evolved into simply "good." I'd say he's my second-least favorite. Does a pretty good Shadow, though!

And finally we have Roger Craig Smith. I really like this guy! He definitely fits the voice already, and he can only improve from here. Unlike Griffith, whose voice took a ton of getting used to, Smith's voice seemed perfectly natural as Sonic almost right from the start. He sounds much more high-energy than Griffith, and unlike Drummond he is actually given some pretty good dialogue. Drummond is still my fave, but Roger Craig Smith is a close second.

Also, in terms of what fans want, I always thought the bitching about the VAs pretty funny in recent times. Like this:

(Griffith replaces Drummons)

Me: NO, GET DRUMMOND BACK!

Fans: YEAH GET DRUMMOND BACK! GRIFFITH SUCKS, DRUMMOND FOREVER!

(Smith replaces Griffith)

Me: Hey, this guy is pretty good! Definitely an improvement for Sonic's voice.

Fans: NO, GET GRIFFITH BACK! SMITH SUCKS, GRIFFITH FOREVER!

Me: What.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, this topic lacks mention of the amazing voice acting talent in Sonic's Schoolhouse.

• Thumbs Up 9

My favourite Sonic VA is Jason, I know he didn't give the best performances in his early days ( most [parts of Sonic X and Shadow) it was a little bit of a rough start (I didn't hate him though) but after sometime I felt he improved quickly in the later season of Sonic X. He got even better later on especially in games like Unleashed, Rivals 2 and both storybook games, I thought he had a perfect tone of voice, how he got Sonic's calm/caring side but also brought his cocky/enthusiastic side at the same time too which was great, he had such strong emotion and like Verte part of me also liked Sonic because of his voice. One thing I also really like is how Jason captured Sonic's darker side as the Werehog in Unleashed, I thought he was also perfect for that role too. You could really tell he cared for Sonic as a character too, I thought his Sonic voice was very unique too. I still miss him and I think he did a brilliant job and I still wish him the best for other roles and media he will be doing now and in the very near future to come. smile.png Ryan Drummond wasn't the best VA, He did a terrible job in SA1 and Shuffle, he lacked emotion and he was also weak, the way he said his lines were laughably bad :/ but then he improved in SA2 which I think is his probably best performance, not the best but still better than previous ones and he was okay in Heroes too. I think Roger is a great actor but I'm just not too used to his Sonic voice yet, I don't like it so much, but I still think he's a great actor.

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screw it, I wanna talk about everyone else too.

Kate Higgins is best Tails; He no longer sounds like a robot trying to imiate a kid's voice, nor does he sound an 8 year old girl, he just sounds like a young boy, as it should be, and even better he sounds nothing like Sakura so I don't have to hear the Narutards with their bitching.

To be honest, I'd like Knuckles a lot more if he had a deeper voice, the higher pitched voice they've been giving him as of late just doesn't fit in my opinion, I mean come one the obligatory "tough guy" character needs a deep voice dammit, let's take a look at Roy Mustang(Another role his VA has) shall we:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enyipxV6ds0

You can't tell me that Knuckles would sound AWESOME with that tone of voice, its just so......commanding. So yeah, deep voiced Knuckles please.

To be honest, I'd like Knuckles a lot more if he had a deeper voice, the higher pitched voice they've been giving him as of late just doesn't fit in my opinion, I mean come one the obligatory "tough guy" character needs a deep voice dammit, let's take a look at Roy Mustang(Another role his VA has) shall we:

You can't tell me that Knuckles would sound AWESOME with that tone of voice, its just so......commanding. So yeah, deep voiced Knuckles please.

I'd thought Knuckles voice is already too deep as it is.

I never cared nuch for Drummond and liked Griffith from Secret Rings onward. Smith though, was great from the first game. Didn't feel like I needed to get used to him at all. I'm also glad that there wasn't (as of yet) another pathetic VA war like with Drummond vs Griffith. Smith is awesome.

Earlier on and especially during the Sonic X/ 2006 Era, Jason Griffith just agitated me. He was way too melodramatic in some of his lines and it just killed it for me. Close to the end of his run he had improved and I honestly couldn't find anything terrible or remarkable about the voice. He reached a tolerable equilibrium for me.

Ryan Drummond was the voice actor I officially entered the fandom with when I bought Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I loved his voice, because to me that was Sonic. When Sega started transitioning over to the Sonic X voices, the fandom was in an uproar. He at times was just as melodramatic as Jason was, but the nostalgic feel of his voice won me out during this era.

Roger is just something else. I have never seen a voice better fit Sonic. He has that pizzazz that matches Sonic's character so well. He can make Sonic sound condescending when he is toying with his opponents. Sonic was always a mischievous character with a good heart, and Roger just nails it on the head.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jaleel's voice bothers me almost initially since it reminds me of how Sega westernized Sonic, although it's not exactly his fault. Really, I love Mr. White, but his voice for Sonic isn't the best. In fact I only really liked it in AoSTH because the overly insane show really fit with his silly caricature of the character.

Martin Burke is awesome. Love his Sonic voice. Always will. He gave Sonic this really sassy spunk that actually compliments him. Definitely fits what I imagine when I think of any classic incarnation of Sonic speaking.

Drummond? He warbled from good to okay in SA1, was pretty great in SA2, can't remember about Shuffle exactly, and Heroes was pretty horrible. He kind of wavered back and forth in his tone, and progressionally became squeakier and louder as each game came along. Pretty good, if not kind of inconsistent.

Jason Griffith is one of my favorites for just about the same reasons Verte has given. Yes, he was horrible all throughout Sonic X, ShTH, and 06.. but he did a dang fine job of Sonic in Unleashed and the Storybook games, and I'm pretty disappointed he got dropped just as I was not only getting used to him, but also whenever he was getting legitimately better at his part.

And finally, RCS. I'm not sure what to think of him. He's okay, I guess. Free Riders felt the closest to what I expect from Sonic. Colors was too deep, and Generations was like a mixture between Colors and Free Riders. I dunno, I just need to hear him have more serious dialogue before I could give proper judgement, since I can't really have a say on his part right now since it normally stays in the same goofy-ish tone all throughout everything he's been in so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I've brought it up a lot in the past, but the side of the story of a buddy of mine named Ryan Drummond.

Anyway, I love Jaleel, I think Martin is okay, my favourite is Ryan (see the link), I'm not a fan of Jason, and I love Roger.

When it comes to other characters, Mike is just as much my Eggman as Ryan is my Sonic, and the same can be said for Kate's Tails. Shadow's not too important to me but David Humphrey is my favourite in his department, and I'll pretty much take the rest of the new cast for their respective characters. Except Amy. Lisa Ortiz all the way.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Drummond ever gave a good/decent performance in any of the games he's been in. I don't feel he ever put any kind of effort or energy into voicing Sonic. Jason was poor at the start, but he improved over time, with Unleashed being his best performance as Sonic. Roger's my favorite of Sonic's VAs, I love the energy and enthusiasm he puts into voicing him.

Jaleel was alright, but I prefer his AoStH performance to all of his others. And I haven't seen whatever Martin Burke was in.

Drummond had the perfect voice for Sonic, but he could never get his acting right. Griffith both had an unfitting voice and his acting wasn't good either, so hes my least favorite. Smith is probably the best of the three all things considered, due to his acting skills and that the sound of his voice is rather fitting for the character, even if i dont consider it quite as fitting as Drummond's.