Awoo.

The Super Sexy Sonic Voice Actors

Nintendoga

Like everyone else, I do have my favourites, and like some more than others. My very favourties are these:

Sonic - Roger Craig Smith

Tails - Kate Higgins

Knuckles - Scott Dreier

Amy - Lisa Ortiz

Cream - Michelle Ruff

Shadow - David Humphrey

Rouge - Karen Strassman

Espio - Troy Baker

Vector - Keith Silverstein

Charmy - Colleen O'Shaughnessey

Silver - Quinton Flynn

Blaze - Both of them are similar, and are equally great.

Robotnik - All of them. But especially Mike Pollock of course.

But despite this, I've never taken the voices as such serious business compared to everyone else in the fanbase, and aside from one or two, I usually tend to like the voices in some way regardless.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Griffith, Smith, Burke, and White are my favorites, although I wouldn't mind if Sonic was more of a silent one like he was in the classics. The other actors are decent. I'd have to say my favorite VA is a tie between Griffith and Smith. Both of them can get the really cocky/obnoxious part of Sonic down really well to the point it almost fits him. Sometimes Smith does make him sound like a young adult more than a teen; and on the flipside Griffith really needed to work on his laugh at times, as well as him reading some lines not-so enthusiastically.

Oh and Nintendoga, you owe me a new gallon brain bleach for those images in your OP.

I'd thought Knuckles voice is already too deep as it is.

Nah, its still kind of high pitched.

Drummond is still my favorite. His voice sounds the most natural and fitting for Sonic and I never had a problem with his acting. Smith is good, too, but something seems kinda forced and I can't put my finger on what. I hated Griffith at the start, but he improved as time went by. Still my least favorite of the actors, but I think his work in Black Knight is better than Smith's voice so far.

White is my second favorite, though. He put quite a bit of thought into the voice and I just really love it. He got Sonic's attitude down perfectly. Can't wait to hear his take on Sonic in the fan movie.

Marc Stachel's voice for Sonic in the German version in X and Generations is great, too. I switched to it pretty early on in Generations and didn't go back. Hopefully SEGA keeps the multiple dubs, because I really like the German voices and well, it's a kid series, so it sucks when younger kids can't totally understand what's going on.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be completely honest, my personal favorite voice actor for Sonic will always be Jun'ichi Kanemaru (And no, not because he's Japanese. I prefer Kate waaay over Ryo for Tails). Could just be a consistency thing or just the pitch he maintains that really makes me feel like that's how Sonic would sound.

But, seeing as this is mainly focused on his English voice counterparts, I'd honestly say it's about equal with Ryan, Jason, and Roger. Ryan had a pretty good pitch for Sonic; wasn't too deep and it wasn't too high (Until maybe Heroes, in which he was pretty damn bad). Jason was...alright. He was pretty awful at the beginning but eventually sounded rather good in Unleashed. I think the only problem I have with Roger is the sudden dip in his voice. After being so used to Sonic sounding rather higher pitched he soundly sounds...very deep. He delivers his lines well, I just can't seem to really get used to the deep voice quite yet.

As for Jaleel....eh. I'm not a big fan of his voice as Sonic. I grew up with AoStH and Sonic SATAM as a child and I still couldn't fully enjoy his voice. As for Martin, he's also pretty equal grounds if only because I've seen the English OVA once, so it hasn't really stuck with me. He did get the attitude down rather well, I feel.

Drummond will probably always be the definitive Sonic voice for me, just cause that's the voice I first heard. He had a few bad lines in the first Adventure (we all know the big one), but he just seemed right to mw. By SA2 and Heroes he was doing fine. Yeah, he had terrible writing to deal with, but he delivered.

Griffith, I'll be honest, couldn't act t save his life until Unleashed. Watching Shadow, 06, any episodes of X were just painful. By Unleashed and Black Knight he had become pretty decent, but even then he still seemed a little off.

Smith, he's been doing a fine job. He's got the attitude that Griffith ultimately lacked. He's probably the better actor than Drummond, but Drummond's just kinda the voice I instantly think of with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to have to say that Kanemaru wins hands down overall, but for the sake of better discussion, I'll go with my pick for the English voice actors as well.

I'm going to say something (possibly) unexpected and say that Jason Griffith is actually my favourite English Sonic voice actor. But at the same time, god damn I have a serious love-hate relationship with that guy's voice. At times, he got it just right. At others, he's outright bad. And the weird thing is, it's not like he started bad and just steadily improved; he was horribly inconsistent throughout his run, bouncing all over the place between good, bad and everything in between with no real pattern.

He started off pretty bad in Sonic X. By the halfway point he'd improved again, and started to slip toward the end. His performance was pretty good in Shadow, bad in Riders, bad in 06, average in Unleashed and pretty good in Black Knight. I haven't really heard too much of him in many of the games in all honesty since I usually set the voices to Japanese whenever possible, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Still, I will say one thing; Jason was very much the kind of thing where you don't realise what you've got until you've lost it. I find myself in the minority who feel that Roger's take on Sonic just doesn't sit well with them. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's a great actor; it's not so much that he acts badly, he doesn't. It's that I just outright feel that his voice doesn't suit Sonic in the slightest. The fact that he's only starred in games with horrific English dialogue is pretty irrelevant to the matter, I just feel like it's the wrong voice coming out of Sonic when he speaks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, this topic lacks mention of the amazing voice acting talent in Sonic's Schoolhouse.

I think I've found a voice close to being worse than Griffith's early performances.

Here's my brief opinions on who I think was/is the best VA for their character:

Sonic: Roger Craig Smith, as he actually started off very well. His delivery was good and he sounds more natural than the other voices IMO.

Tails: Kate Higgins. She actually makes Tails sound like a boy, her delivery was also good (although there were a few minor slip-ups here and there) and I liked how she portrayed Tails as sarcastic, but still like a brother to Sonic.

Knuckles: Scott Drier, something about his deep voice and mannerism in SA2 and Heroes just sounds like how I would imagine Knuckles to sound.

Shadow: Don't know TBH, as I never really cared for Shadow.

Amy: Lisa Ortiz. Don't really know how to explain it TBH.

Cream: Michelle Ruff. After 6 years, we finally get a Cream voice that is high pitched enough to sound like a 6 year old girl, but not too high pitched so as to sound annoying and at times incomprihensible.

Espio: David Wills and Troy Baker. They sound cool and quiet, just like a ninja.

Vector: His Heroes voice. It was deep, gruff and boss-like, perfect for Vector, SO HOW DID 4KIDS FU- sorry, moving on.

Charmy: The one from Colours DS onward, becuase... well it's not as annoying as the other ones.

And lastly Blaze: Both. They both have different ways of portraying the character, and both sound great for Blaze.

Every once in a while this topic comes up. Each time I say the same exact thing. I've been very vocal on my opinions of the voice actors and my pathetic feelings on how Sonic sounds is more important to me than how he controls. I can't help it because it's just how I am. So instead of typing an essay, here's what I feel in a nutshell:

wowsteve.jpg

I don't think Roger is the devil. I'm sure he's a nice guy. I just REALLY dislike his Sonic voice

I may not agree with you, but this post has won the thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every once in a while this topic comes up. Each time I say the same exact thing. I've been very vocal on my opinions of the voice actors and my pathetic feelings on how Sonic sounds is more important to me than how he controls. I can't help it because it's just how I am. So instead of typing an essay, here's what I feel in a nutshell:

wowsteve.jpg

I don't think Roger is the devil. I'm sure he's a nice guy. I just REALLY dislike his Sonic voice

I don't agree with you but that's pretty funny. laugh.png

Already said my opinion a billion times. I like Smith, though as much as I like the voice and think he doesn't sound like a 30 year old (more like a deep voiced teen, really), I'm with the camp that thinks SEGA is crazy for thinking Sonic should age and Smith could sound like a kid. Griffith was good at the end of his run. Drummond was just eh. White sounds good in the fan film, but not in the cartoon. Yeah. ...but I have to say...Steve's post is epic. XD

But, here's my preference for the record.

Sonic - Roger Craig Smith, Jaleel White (film)

Tails - Kate Higgins

Knuckles - Scott Dreier, Dan Green (towards the end of his run)

Amy - Lisa Ortiz

Cream - Michelle Ruff

Shadow - Jason Griffith

Rouge - Karen Strassman

Espio - Meh, all of them.

Vector - Marc Biagi

Charmy - Colleen O'Shaughnessey

Silver - Quinton Flynn

Blaze - Erica Schroeder

Robotnik - Mike Pollock, Long John Bradley & Jim Cummings

I'm pretty much asking myself the same question. But I'm also asking this: Why can't I stop laughing at it?! Especially since I don't agree with it either...it's just too funny! biggrin.png

Hey, you don't necessarily have to agree with something to find it funny! X3

Anyhow, Sonic voice actors!

When it comes to Classic Sonic, I think Martin Burke fits the most, although I'm not sure if I could see the "Americanized" Sonic voiced by anyone other than Jaleel White...but that's probably because I'm used to seeing those cartoons with his voice!

Now, for Modern Sonic, my favourite is definitely Roger. He won me over almost instantly, but I think he could do even better once he gets more used to the role.

I never hated Jason, but I admit he was pretty bad at first. I recently re-watched some Sonic X after years of not seeing it and was surprised how bad the voice acting was back then. Although, I must admit, it was actually not as terrible as I expected. As for Ryan, he's my least favourite, but I didn't mind it too much. His best performance was probably SA2 DAMN YOU NOSTALGIA, and his worst was definitely Heroes (that might have been the dialogue's fault, though :V).

The rest of the new cast is alright. The only one I either dislike or simply indifferent to--depending on my mood--is Amy's new voice. :/ Either have the VA try something else, or get someone else.

Edited by ElementofChaos7
  • Thumbs Up 1

No Kanemaru? :'(

I'll give you my own little short version:

His other large reoccurring role is Hayato Kazami from Future GPX Cyber Formula for whom he does the same voice as his Sonic voice and has been doing so since 1991.

I'll give you my own little short version:

His other large reoccurring role is Hayato Kazami from Future GPX Cyber Formula for whom he does the same voice as his Sonic voice and has been doing so since 1991.

• Thumbs Up 3

Drummond was highly inconsistant. SA1 was laughably terribad. It was so bad it was funny. SA2 was OK. Heroes he notched up Sonic's blood-glucose level to maximum and threw in a couple Red Bulls for good measure.

Jason was good in his more recent appearances. His previous appearances had about as much effort put into its reading as the script had in its writing. He sounded bad, but its hard to act properly which such terrible dialogue. Black Knight was his best performance....primarily because there was character and development to work with.

Its clear though that Jason's strength lies in Camera-acting (watch the show "Casters"), he relies more on his facial expressions and body language than vocal nuances. In that sense, while his acting is certainly good, its not the best.

Roger, is definately the best voice-actor technically. He's got the widest range of speech patterns, whist maintaining a consistant tone. That is to say he can talk very quickly and very slowly and emote, whilst remaining in is "Sonic" tone. The problem is, he's only been in 3 games, neither of which had a story which involved anything with substance. Free Riders had no direction to speak of, it sounded like he was trying to voice-match Griffith (I don't know if that is true, but it sounded like it), Colours he acted well given his script and direction. He performed well with the lines had. Generations had no plot, to the extent to which he barely had anything to say at all, and whenever he did talk it was all pretty much the same stuff.

I'd like to see what he'd do with Sonic with a story like Black Knight. Only then will we be able to fairly compare Actors.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

wowsteve.jpg