Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I actually find it very strange that Sonic doesn't have a big following in Japan. Because for one, Sonic originated from Japan, and second, SEGA is the kind of arcades in Japan. And considering Sonic is SEGA's mascot, you'd think he'd be more popular. 

I'm not surprised. Yes he originated from Japan, features heavily at SEGA Joypolis and he's SEGA's mascot, but usually anthropomorphic animal characters just aren't very popular in Japan. Sure there are exceptions like Crash Bandicoot, but usually those are short lived. Want another example of a game featuring anthros not doing well in Japan? Solatorobo.

I actually find it very strange that Sonic doesn't have a big following in Japan. Because for one, Sonic originated from Japan, and second, SEGA is the kind of arcades in Japan. And considering Sonic is SEGA's mascot, you'd think he'd be more popular. 

I think the reason Sonic still isn't popular despite all that is because SEGA do very little to push him in Japan, they don't seem to really care for making him popular there at all. Sonic was developed primarily to tackle the console industry in the west, he was designed to be similar to western anthros like Mickey Mouse, with the big nose and cartoony gloves.

Typically, Japan doesn't like stuff made for a western audience, and the fact that SEGA historically does very little to synergize their western and easter divisions means that they will probably never bother to try and really push him over there. Ironically one of the only western things that is popular-without-fail in Japan is.. Disney.

Guess Sonic looking like Mickey Mouse wasn't enough to get him attention over there, it could be to do with the fact that he isn't marketed as "cute" much.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, still better than opening thousands of new ones:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumour-sumo-digital-2017-presentation-slides-leak.19751/

Let's look at more clues:

"New unannounced karting game about a very known IP"

Everyone in the comments hopes for ASR 3.

I guess it fits, I know we haven't had one in a lot of years but... Sonic needs a spin-off this year, Mario & Sonic is out of business for now, no major games coming up. I DREAM about this night and day, I loved Sumo Digital's work on ASR and its sequel, they are better than some main Sonic games, they are really well done. Also, didn't some Sumo Digital member (SumoRex) lurk on these forums recently? They only do that when they are interested in something. All the clues are piling up.

It'd be great news if true. The only thing... I hope there are more Sonic characters this time, they got a crappy treatment last time, only the usual 7... meh, boring, in fact the roster in Transformed was a bit lacking. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a solo Sonic Kart game, the characters are more known and popular to kids than some old SEGA IPs. I know I'll be getting a lot of flak for this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I can only say YES! a thousand times. SASRT was great and it's been 6 years already. So much looking forward to a new entry.

Who thinks Classic Sonic will be a new character? XD

Yeah, 7 is big number enough..... of who am I kidding? I want moooooooore Sonic characters.

1 minute ago, molul said:

Dont' scare me man.

Logically it will be Silver or Rouge (or Big,  since he pulled it last time). Byt personally I think Chaotix would work best. They could work as homage to "wacky races".

• Fist Bump 1

Maybe it should be an exclusive Sonic game, we have done the Sega crossover thing various times, plus the first ASR was supoosed to have more Sonic characters, Transformed added a bunch of characters just to increase the number of playables and they were MeeMee, Pudding, Gum and Reala. So adding more Sonic characters is a possibility. Heck, Mario can have its own spin-offs  and Sonic can't?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack of Tangles said:

It'd be great news if true. The only thing... I hope there are more Sonic characters this time, they got a crappy treatment last time, only the usual 7... meh, boring, in fact the roster in Transformed was a bit lacking. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a solo Sonic Kart game, the characters are more known and popular to kids than some old SEGA IPs. I know I'll be getting a lot of flak for this.

Naaah, total opposite for me. In fact, scratch that "Sonic &" out of the title and  focus even more on the Sega Allstars Cast, get some of the characters of the first game that didn't make the cut in the second one back and add some characters and franchises that deserve more limelight.  Get Puyo Characters in there, let the Streets of Rage Cops tear up the streets, let Segata Sanshiro show that he really is the best at everything, get Ristar off flag duty and... I dunno, someone from Valkyria Chronicles? Heck, throw some wildcards like Ecco in a Spaceship fishtank or Chuck D. Head in the mix, because why not?! Also, repurpose the items to more Sega specific things instead of generic horns and stuff, that'd be cool.

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Maybe it should be an exclusive Sonic game, we have done the Sega crossover thing various times, plus the first ASR was supoosed to have more Sonic characters, Transformed added a bunch of characters just to increase the number of playables and they were MeeMee, Pudding, Gum and Reala. So adding more Sonic characters is a possibility. Heck, Mario can have its own spin-offs  and Sonic can't?

Sure he can, and he did, but Sega has so many franchises that had fans in the 90s and 2000s that just straight up get ignored now that it's more than fair to throw the fans of those franchises a bone in some way. I mean, I'd love some of the more non-basic Sonic Characters to show up, I am a Sonic Fan after all,  but if the trade-off is getting to see some of the classic Sega characters that have been abandoned for way longer than basically any Sonic character has back in action or just a more diverse, fun roster in general, then I am mooore than happy to give them up. Even though I'd probably still be there day one even if the Roster would be Sonic only if the games are just as fun as the predecessors

The more pressing issue I have is the track selection for Sonic - having Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary back just a few months after Generations (despite the amazing remixes) was a pretty huge letdown for me, so I hope they get more creative instead of just shoving City and Green Hill from Forces in there because you have the assets and make some more creative reimaginings of past Sonic levels - a 3D Version of any of the new Mania Levels would be amazing.

But yeah, I really want this to be  true. I had a lot of fun with the games, especially the second one, so I'd be super stoked for another sequel. SXSW, maybe? I hope for the best. And yeah, please don't drop the boats and planes, they added so much.

Also:

11 minutes ago, molul said:

Stop. >:I

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

3 hours ago, SaberX said:

The only hope I have is to be closer to the first one, plus some adjustments. 

The first game was a straight up Mario Kart clone. It was better than that generation's Mario Kart (Wii), but it wasn't a particularly original game. ASRT functioned very differently, as a drifting and boosting based game when on land, and was only superficially like Mario Kart. It then added in the boating and flying gameplay seamlessly, making it something totally unlike anything else. MK7 introduced underwater and gliding gimmicks at the same time by sheer coincidence, but they aren't anything like what ASRT offers.

Why is it that you would rather any sequel was more like the first game? Seems like nothing but a step backwards from where I'm standing.

On the subject of characters - axing Big from ASRT should never have been allowed. Absolutely criminal.

EDIT: Did this thread really need merging? 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, SaberX said:

It has more to do with being a kart racing game. If thats being a clone, well so be it. A lot of games in the past were considered a clone but bring a lot of interesting and different mechanics that even Mario Kart games later adopted(Crash). I see no problem be considered a clone if you can bring new things and turn the game fun to play. And even so, it would still be a Mario Kart clone and I really dont see this being a bad thing.

I'm also all in favor of taking "Sonic" from the tittle.

Fair enough. ASR showed signs of being more of an arcade racer, and ASRT took that much further. I'm reluctant to say that the gameplay was more skill based than Mario Kart as that would imply that Mario Kart doesn't require skill, but it certainly was a different type of play. What ASRT offers is much more enjoyable to me than Mario Kart, and I say that as someone who absolutely adores the entire MK series.

Being a clone isn't inherently bad, but a series finding it's own identity is always better. It brings variety for the players, and pushes the genres forwards. And I'll insist that after taking steps to differentiate a game from its competitors and being met warmly as a result, going back to being more of a clone a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, SaberX said:

.I'm also all in favor of taking "Sonic" from the tittle. Im all for more Sega characters.

It's funny because ASRT did the opposite and removed the SEGA title, leaving just Sonic. 

Actually, I wonder if it may be Sonic-only this time if anything, considering the slide says "Global IP", implying just one franchise represented mainly. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Ohhhhhhhhh man, I hope it's ASR3. I played the crap out of ASR and absolutely adored ASRT, so the potential brought by a third one makes me practically shiver with sheer delight. Plus, the chances of it being on the Switch and Ralph possibly coming back due to his sequel hitting this year...OH MAN. *Pop!*

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

It's funny because ASRT did the opposite and removed the SEGA title, leaving just Sonic. 

Actually, I wonder if it may be Sonic-only this time if anything, considering the slide says "Global IP", implying just one franchise represented mainly. 

I hope so, kids and the majority of customers would love that, only older fans would be left out, but Sumo Digital are Sega fans so I doubt it, plus they are not Sonic fans and have their bias towards Big and Fang...

Though I think we can all agree that they could add more characters and having more Sonic ones is better than having Pudding etc.

30 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I would agree, but for identity matters thats why we have Riders. Is a racing game, not a kart, nor close to any racing game since it has its very own and unique mechanics.

ASTR is a straight kart racing game, so theres no avoid being a clone and I believe theres no reason to make things that different. As I said, I had tons of fun with the first one, even played spliscreen matches at the time. Of course the game has its problems, like the lack of a proper item to hit the first one(the giant missile is inneficient). Thats why I suggested a few changes. You may not have read, but I rather prefer the crab badnick over the current trap item we have. Its more iconic and differs from the banana item since it moves. 

Riders sucks. It's never won over the audience at large with it concept or gameplay, and the latest entry was the worst of the lot. I don't mind seeing the back of it. We've got two Sonic racing series - one with a lot of good will and a solid foundation to build on, and the other is Riders. 

ASRT is not a straight kart racer. Like Riders, it takes the genre in a different direction, this time being more of an arcade racer whereas Riders was somewhat of a skateboarding game. It's part of the kart racer genre in as much as it uses power ups, attacks and takes as party approach instead of a realistic one, but the similarities to the rest of the genre end there. ASRT sets itself apart with different mechanics to more traditional kart racers. If I want to pay Mario Kart, I've got a number of great games to choose from. But ASRT fills a different need. This isn't about rebalancing the game with a few different items (and I very much appreciated how the game moved away from just MK items to use more aggressive, skillful items).

• Thumbs Up 3

If their will be a next All-Stars racing I hope they will focus way more on the other Sega characters. For my taste their was just way to much Sonic in it. The All-Stars game are the last chance were all Non-Sonic-characters have can shine. Sonic will get more games in the future, that we all know, but the other franchises are pretty much dead by now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Possible roster (both in expectation and personal wish):

Returning:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Amy

Dr. Eggman

Shadow

Metal Sonic

AiAi

Amigo

Ulala

NiGHTS

Ryo Hazuki

BD Joe

Hornet

Opa Opa 

Beat 

Alex Kidd

Gilius Thunderhead

Vyse

Ralph

Newbies:

Vector, Charmy and Espio (together)

Silver

Rouge/Blaze (we need 1 more girl)

Infinite (to tie into Forces, could also be a stage hazard with illusions)

Bayonetta

Space Harrier

Panzer Dragon

Joker (Persona)

Amitie

Vectorman (motorbike)

After Burner

<Add unlikely guest here>

DLC: Classic Sonic (to tie into Mania)

This is my roster and a likely one, so feel free to criticize it, but it's still my roster.

• Nice Smile 1

On the one hand, if the rumours are true (as in, the slides aren't fake) and a karting game is the new All-Stars Racing, count me in! I really liked both Racing games and would definitely like to see a third one.

On the other hand though, how do you make a game that's at least a somewhat substantial upgrade to the previous entry? Are they gonna stick to the 3-vehicle system, go back to 1 vehicle or make something new? Are courses gonna change during races, just like in Transformed? Like, how do you one-up the predecessor without making it too different from it outside of roster (even then, nobody can top the Football Manager /s).

Anyway, it's all just a rumour, so I'm not gonna hype up a possibility that has never been confirmed and I'm just gonna wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first new character they should show is RISTAR. It was more painful having him as the flagman in SASRT than ot having him at all in SASASR.

The Chaotix should also be on the roster. I'd also like to have someone from Streets Of Rage (Axel would be the logical choice).

I'd also prefer certain characters not to be part of the game. For instance, the Company Of Heroes franchise. I love the franchise but I don't think it fits. To me, the roster should be made by SEGA developed games, not also published games. 

And honestly, I wouldn't discard Classic Sonic as new character. 

My personal wich list for Racers:

Veterans

1. Sonic

2. Tails

3. Knuckles

4. Dr. Eggman

5. Nights

6. Aiai

7. Amigo

8. Ulala

9. Beat

10. Alex Kidd

11. Billy Hatcher

12. Gilius Thunderhead

13. Vyse

14. Ryo Hazuki

15. The Chuchus

16. B.D. Joe

Newcomers

17. Orta (Panzer Dragoon)

18. Aika and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)

19. Axel Stone & Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)

20. Ristar (Ristar)

21. Toejam and Earl (Toejam & Earl)

22. Amitie (Puyo Puyo Fever)

23. Segata Sanshiro

24. Alis Landele (Phantasy Star)

25. Vectorman (Vectorman)

26. Harrier (Space Harrier)

27. Opa Opa

28. Crash Bandicoot (PS4 exclusive) 

29. Captain Falcon (Nintendo Switch exclusive)

30. Xbox One exclusive character (I don't know... maybe Master Chief?)  

These roster suggestions are making me flash back to 2011. Man, if it is ASR3 or Sonic Karter Extreme or whatever, I at least don't want a repeat of the shenanigans that happened then. 

I agree about... How can they top Transformed? I would remove any previous gimmicks and either add a new twist, or make a traditional racing game, with a more varied roster and more tracks, but still arcade style and challenging like ASRT. It needs better items for sure.