SEGASonic Radio
RSS Feed
Follow the Sonic Stadium's Facebook Page
Follow TSS' Twitter

Photo

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

• Please log in to reply
7150 replies to this topic

#141 Space☆Chooch

Space☆Chooch
  • PSN:RadRed

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

God please let Banjo on this game, I've been a good boy all year.

I really don't care about seeing a third party character that was console exclusive in this game. It's just off-putting.

I'd really just like to see more Sega representation. Give me Ristar, and Vectorman. Vyse is there and I'm hype.

Edited by Chooch, 30 April 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#142 Omega Kuzu

Omega Kuzu
  • Steam:BlackYakuzu94
  • NNID:Boodedge
  • PSN:BlackYakuzu94

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

This game needs moar nights.

#143 TheAnvil

TheAnvil

• TSS Member
  • 187 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I really don't care about seeing a third party character that was console exclusive in this game. It's just off-putting.

I'd really just like to see more Sega representation. Give me Ristar, and Vectorman. Vyse is there and I'm hype.

Banjo's inclusion wouldn't detract from a SEGA character, he'd be an additional character exclusive to the xbox, and fits into the style more than anyone else would from Microsoft. Especially now more than ever, with this concept.

I need to know if he'll be on the game so I can stop/continue the anticipation for this game.

Edited by TheAnvil, 30 April 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#144 neezTHEhuman

neezTHEhuman

Neez

• TSS Member
  • 180 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

SO EXCITED FOR THIS. Sumo and Sega must be really serious about establishing the ASR series as the definitive cart racer for non Nintendo consoles because this game takes racing to the next level. The original had great track design, the cars handled great and was visually stunning. Hopefully this sequel keeps those attributes from the original and the new additions will just make it even more awesome and fun. Also some minor balance issues like the bikes being overpowered thanks to their wheelie boost will hopefully get fixed. I'm really looking forward to racing fellow SSMB members online!

#145 Panda Cero

Panda Cero

❤♡ ~Bamboo Scrambru~ ♡❤

• TSS Member
  • 1,799 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Something that I noticed:

We have 21 characters (Including Metal Sonic) playable in the original

Now if all 21 of those characters were to return this time around, that would mean we would only be seeing 6 new characters

Vyse and Gilius have both been confirmed by the IGN article, and if TSSZ's article has any weight we may also be seeing Ristar and Vectorman (which would make sense seeing as both were highly wanted in the original) leaving 2 open character slots

Now through speculation alone, it's entirely possible that NiGHTS, a character that had an entire movement to get him into the original, may take the 24th slot due to his popularity

As for the final slot, it's possible that that final unlockable, as Carbo pointed out, could be Segata Sanshiro, though at the same time its possible that the final unlockable isn't a character at all, and could be some kind of track, game mode, or option to add to the game.

So at this point, we kinda have an idea of what the roster could look like, though at the same time, its entirely possible that Sumo could drop a few characters from the original, leaving room for even more new characters

#146 Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm sure many of the more obscure or out there characters will step aside for new obscure or out there characters. I could see Chu Chus, Opa Opa and Bonanza Bros being replaced. Sonic's roster might not lose anybody (except for maybe Big) and will probably see more (Rogue, Silver and Blaze).

#147 Space☆Chooch

Space☆Chooch
  • PSN:RadRed

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

POPULAR

I need to know if he'll be on the game so I can stop/continue the anticipation for this game.

You're more concerned with the inclusion of a third party character that has absolutely nothing to do with Sega than anything else?

Well then.

#148 The Kid

The Kid

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

OH MY GOD.

This looks much better than the last game to the point of me going out and preordering it. I mean, the extra characters, more diverse stages (they look that way from the trailer at least) and transforming vehicles will make this an instant buy for me. And did I hear something about a ranking system and stickers for xp?

Oh and... http://www.metro.co....rview-sega-kart

- There will be nods to a couple racing games such as Outrun and After Burner (not necessarily those two)
- Weapons won't be tied to any specific game, but will try to be more unique than last time
- Single player career mode divided into chapters that will unlock new characters or vehicle mods
- Sumo Producer Joe Neate can't confirm or deny a Wii U version, but thinks it would be great to get on a platform like that
- Remixed music from Richard Jacques
- Gilius Thunderhead transforms his vehicle from turtle to bird to piscine form

You probably know some if not all of this info. But the music being remixed means I might have to buy this soundtrack actually!

Edited by The Kid, 30 April 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#149 S0L

S0L

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

POPULAR

Right, I'll start with these...

We have 21 characters (Including Metal Sonic) playable in the original

Now if all 21 of those characters were to return this time around, that would mean we would only be seeing 6 new characters

Barking up the wrong tree. Just because a character appeared in ASR, don't take it for granted that they'll appear in this one :)

How long have you guys been working on the game? The new engine looks insanely good, must've taken some time!

Oh... Good question. New engine is imaginatively named Sumo Engine, but we use the Starlight editor to build everything, so generally we refer to it as Starlight. You'll remember we used Sunshine last time, so I guess it's an upgrade! We've been working on this for about a year and a half, switching to the new engine 6 months in. Caused us a few headaches, but the results are there on the screen :P

Wait till you see a level with fully dynamic lights...

will there be the chance to tackle the entire track as one vehicle only? like if i wanted to stay in car form for the entire race? or will there be parts of the tracks that force you to change to another vehicle? thinking of the route RC Revenge tookwhere you had transformation gates if you wanted to take the water route etc.

We can play with when the transforms happen, so it's possible to lock tracks into given states. We choose when you transform though, to ensure there is no gamebreaking cheating going off with folk choosing to fly where they want... :P

Do characters that appeared in the previous game count as being scene? Because I'd like to know if you hand selected a few fan favorites and tossed the rest.

Though if not, can you comment on how these stars will work in the game?

Again, see point one for the characters.

The All-Star isn't fully locked down, but you can earn it through driving skill, picking up the All-Star coins and through other means.., Wait and see :P

Just a small one, if it's possible to comment on. In the article it says:

"For lone players, there's an extensive Story mode with 16 new tracks spread across a number of different SEGA worlds, represented here by floating islands."

Are the 16 tracks mentioned here exclusive to story mode, in ADDITION to the other tracks for the general modes, or is that simply phrased oddly and referring to the fact that there are 16 new tracks (plus the 4 returning ones)?

Can't go into modes right now, but it's 16 + 4. All I can say on the tracks is they're all unique, not three variations of Seaside Hill since you all grumbled so much about it :P

Well... since we can ask about things already revealed my only question is how the All-star gauge works with those star pick-ups. I can see the transformations are automatic, wich is a good thing. I could see some shortcuts when you could only use one vehicle, but one time or another youre probably gonna be forced to change.

As above, All-Star gauge is a mix of skill and the pickups and... nah... you'll have to wait and see. We do intend for it to be balanced, for example right now you can earn it quicker at the back of the pack...

another question is... are we seeing 16 completely different tracks (barring the 4 returning) from different levels, not from different parts of the SAME level?

and will the 4 returning courses from ASR1 be given a make over to incorporate the new gameplay mechanics of vehicle transformation etc.?

As above, all the levels are unique. Can't talk too much about the classic tracks, but the new handling has meant some changes need to be made.

Oh darn, I was going to ask if the Sonic tracks were a bit more varied, being that almost every track in ASR was from Sonic Heroes (minus Death Egg). Anyway I'm glad to see that this is coming along nicely. Hope everything turns out well for you guys =D

Yep - loads more variety, and we've been looking outside of Heroes too :P

Why is Sonic in a car?

*Car transforms into boat*

Sonic: Problem? Posted Image

Yep. Sonic can't swim, and with what we've got going off with water, we didn't want him to wind up drowing. He also can't fly - not without being Super Sonic of course... Plus it's the rules of the race, everyone races in a vehicle. End of the day, it's all about fun - let's not take things too seriously!

Don't mind me if I requote this, but I thought of my question. If there's a PC version will it have online play? The ASR on PC not having online when many PC games always have online play was an absolute turn off.

There is a PC version in the works, and given all the complaints about lack of online last time...

I quickly glaced at that and saw these numbers 1 9 7... for a moment I thought he'd confirmed 1970's trousers mode...

Can we have 1970's trousers mode?

Can you transform anywhere? Or is it locked to specific portions of the track?

And can we please have custom soundtracks on the PS3 version this time?

No 1970's trousers, sorry. I suggested it to SOJ, and they questioned my sanity. You have to pass through a transform gate to transform, which is our way of controlling it (otherwise everytime you drive off the edge of a track you'd expect to fly...). We might allow you to pick which gate to drive through of course...

And that's the first batch.

Again... Please don't post huges lists of characters, it makes finding questions quite hard...!

---
S0L
---

#150 TheAnvil

TheAnvil

• TSS Member
  • 187 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

You're more concerned with the inclusion of a third party character that has absolutely nothing to do with Sega than anything else?

Well then.

I know the SEGA roster will have all or most of the characters it needs to have, Gilius and Vyse are in and that's awesome news to me!

Banjo is hit or miss, so it's important to me, as he's my favorite video game character of all time.

Also: Can All-Star moves be online? One of the biggest issues with the first was the fact that when you were around 4th or below you couldn't really get back in the race, having All-Stars should remedy that.

#151 JezMM

JezMM
  • Steam:JezMM
  • NNID:Jez-MM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Also: Can All-Star moves be online? One of the biggest issues with the first was the fact that when you were around 4th or below you couldn't really get back in the race, having All-Stars should remedy that.

It's been confirmed that All-Stars can be used online.

#152 S0L

S0L

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Another good one, right now we are very much planning to make them work online, the only reason they didn't last time was they were so complex and we literally ran out of time to network them...!

---
S0L
---

#153 TheAnvil

TheAnvil

• TSS Member
  • 187 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Now all I need is Banjo-Kazooie and I'm all set!

#154 Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Oh, it's a windy and sunny day...

• TSS Member
  • 8,132 Posts:
  • Steam:IndigoRush101
  • 3DS:3282-2930-9714
  • NNID:IndigoRush
  • XBL:IndigoRush101

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

S0L, buddy, pal, random but probably obvious question...

...will there still be All Star moves?

I'm an indigoiot. Disregard.

Edited by Indigo Rush, 30 April 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#155 TheAnvil

TheAnvil

• TSS Member
  • 187 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Another good question is: Will the game support additional DLC characters and stages?

Thought of another: The hit animations on the first were really unsatisfying (pretty much just spin and a flickering animation), have they been improved? There was a lack of satisfaction when you hit an opponent with an item. I hate to draw this comparison but when you hit someone on MK with a shell it feels satisfying.

Edited by TheAnvil, 30 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#156 Swiss

Swiss

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Oh... Good question. New engine is imaginatively named Sumo Engine, but we use the Starlight editor to build everything, so generally we refer to it as Starlight. You'll remember we used Sunshine last time, so I guess it's an upgrade! We've been working on this for about a year and a half, switching to the new engine 6 months in. Caused us a few headaches, but the results are there on the screen Posted Image

Wait till you see a level with fully dynamic lights...

Well, it definitely looks like all the work paid off! ASR looked pretty stunning as it was, so to hear of a major overhaul is pretty incredible. :D

Can't wait to see how the final game looks in action, it's gonna be a beauty!

#157 Hogfather

Hogfather

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

POPULAR

I have a question.

Dear S0L/Sumo Digital.

We the members of SSMB challenge you to a race. Do you accept this challenge?

Note: Failure to accept will brand you a chicken... =p

No 1970's trousers

... ... ... Thats a funny way to spell "Yes of course the game has 1970's trousers mode... .. " *Twitch*

#158 Chocolate Cookie

Chocolate Cookie

• TSS Member
  • 73 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Oh I got a question. Will a soundtrack be released for this game?

#159 Panda Cero

Panda Cero

❤♡ ~Bamboo Scrambru~ ♡❤

• TSS Member
  • 1,799 Posts:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

>Engine is called Starlight
>Level with Fully Dynamic lights somewhere in the game
>Looking outside of Heroes for tracks

Starlight Carnival officially hinted?

Edited by Magnus, 30 April 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#160 SilentDoom

SilentDoom

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Gilius is in the game. That is all I needed to know. I quite liked SaSASR, though I found it rather generic. It played well, but lacked personality in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users