Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I was wondering, I remember S0L said Vectorman was in he game as a cameo when he was deconfirmed as a racer. Did anyone found him?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey dont get me wrong guys, Im having my ass handled but im still loving every minute of it and I apreciate this method more than the first one. Though Ill stop when I unlock the last character, I want to jump to online already,

Hey S0L, I noticed multiple German retailers are saying that the 3DS version is coming out in February, did something happen with the game? o:

I have to say, as much as I like this game, it falls short of Mario Kart in a lot of things, mostly the little details. And you know what they say, the more the merrier it's the small stuff that counts.

For example, in Mario Kart Wii, every character has vocalizations for nearly EVERY situation. Getting set on fire, falling off the track, winning a race, getting second, getting third, so on, so forth. It's cool to hear how each character reacts to each situation. Unfortunately, the characters in Transformed simply spout one of three or so lines for each situation (the situations being "positive", "negative", "win", "lose").

NiGHTS gets hurt? "NO!"

NiGHTS gets passed? Same "NO!"

NiGHTS taps a wall slightly too hard? "NO!"

It's lazy (or whatever), but it works...most of the time. Hearing Reala say "GIVE UP, YOU CAN'T WIN" 400 times in the same race is ANNOYING as all hell. Not only does it lead to annoying repetition, reusing lines also leads to shit that makes no sense at all.

Sonic wins a race? "Dude, sweet! And you're only going to get better!" What the fuck does that even mean? Who are you talking to?

Knuckles wins a race? "First one to the finish, wins!" ...okay, yes, that is the basic concept of racing. Good job.

Shinobi Joe wins a race? "My ancestor, Japanese McNamington." Alright, you're not even trying. Hell, this guy's voice was even recorded specifically for this game.

Another thing are the All-Stars. I understand that this game has significantly more characters than Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but in that game, every pair had an extremely unique special that changed the way you selected characters and raced. In Transformed, everyone has the same All-Star with a different attack (generally just a blast wave of some sort), which, if I'm not mistaken, is actually a step DOWN from the first one.

There's also a lot of trouble with registering boosts, tricks, etc. The game needs a LOT of polish. Flying is also very hectic and nearly impossible to keep ahead during Expert races for someone who isn't insanely good at the game. The Expert AI also cheats far too often (how does Amigo, the character with a speed stat of ONE, gain on and overtake NiGHTS with a Speed mod at top speed?) and the Expert level altogether is frustrating and not fun, to say the least.

I don't know. This game is fun, to be sure, but I can't say it's better than Mario Kart. Honestly, though? It doesn't have to be. It's a different game entirely. Do I have more fun with Mario Kart? Yes. Does it have things Transformed doesn't have? Yes. But Transformed has things Mario Kart doesn't have. So there.

Edited by Wario wants a damn WiiU
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hey S0L, I noticed multiple German retailers are saying that the 3DS version is coming out in February, did something happen with the game? o:

To be fair, I always found the voices annoying. Also what makes one game better than the other at the end is the gameplay.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND the last character unlocked... feels good!

Also holyshit nerdgasm at the sound effects!

Though I didnt get the achievement of unlocking all the characters :/

Edited by Ferr
  • Thumbs Up 1

And yet when we did just that - everyone complained there was a lack of progression and no real structure. Damned if you do...

---

S0L

---

And yet you removed every other method possible to unlock most of the characters. Just saying it was stupid. You can have progression for the people that want it but, eliminating the unlocks for dedicated playtime was a big no no. It's only catering to one group of people. How is that letting everyone play how they want? It's more like forcing everyone to play the way the loudest screaming voice wanted it.

Edited by King Of Awesome
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario Kart gets away with some simple 'barks' but of course these are recorded per game.

---

S0L

---

Thanks for the reply, and yeah, it irks me when people act like you can't like Mario Kart and All-Stars. tongue.png

But I wanted to point out that MKWii actually has some pretty...complex? I dunno. The vocalizations aren't really just barks. They may sound like it (since the game is fairly hectic and it's hard to focus on what noises your character is making), but, being the insane Wario fan that I am, I have his entire voice box as my computer's noises. Many of his lines, even ones for just getting hurt, are actually full sentences and are done really well.

Although, obviously, I understand that you guys aren't Nintendo and can't afford the massive VA budget they can. But I can say right now that I wouldn't mind at all if NiGHTS and Reala used voice clips from NiD instead of JoD. Simple "OOP!"s and "WATCH OUT!"s would be perfectly acceptable for characters that are supposed to be dreamy and mysterious. No offense to Aguirre and Robertson, but their portrayals of NiGHTS and Reala are a touch too...generic. But that's more the fault of how JoD was written than anything else.

Wait, wait. S0L, Mario Kart games STILL have the Bullet Bill.

Not to mention that DD didn't at all. It had the Chain Chomp, which was the Babies' special.

Edited by Wario wants a damn WiiU

Aw crap, is it delayed again? D; I've been hooked on hoping for the 3DS version next month... And on making my first review out of it. Now I might have to wait 'til February?

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Mario voices too (I can't walk past plushes in the game stores without doing the voices to frighten children) but...

Since it only focuses on one franchise and Ninty are not really known for embracing voice acting, Nintendo only has to get one guy in to do four or five character voices in MK. Probably only takes them an afternoon or so and he only takes one pay cheque. He also loves being "The Mario guy" so he's usually available for stuff tongue.png

Other than those guys and the women, we are mostly left with characters that don't really vocalise much beyond noises. Plus Nintendo must put more money into things than Sega do. Yoshi just says his name and mutters, Bowser growls in different tones etc etc.

...and yeah, some of the quotes in ASRT are really out of context.

...but saying "Hai I'm Daisy!" in the middle of a race a billion times is shit tier too. I'm not actually convinced anyone but Martinet's characters get a supply of new lines between games either.

Edited by Andrew Albacia
  • Thumbs Up 5

Not sure it's already posted, SEGA released a behind-the-scenes video with Danica for her voice-over, the E3 event, and the promo ad.

Dat custom-made firesuit. :I

• Thumbs Up 1