Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Track Roster Thread

Cortez

Didn't they say that it would be a track per IP, aside from the returnign tracks? So I was going with 2 tracks as well, or at least I really hope that's the case.

When those discussions were being had it was simply a way of explaining that there definitely won't be three versions of the same level, like last time which was something we heard a lot of critisism of on S&SASR

IP was being used to mean sub sets, Eg, SST had two IPs (Greenhill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone) both belonging to the Sonic IP They are just sub-sets of a larger set ...any of which can be described as IPs

The returning tracks weren't really even being considered part of the discussion at the time.

Edited by SumoRex

At this point, I just hope that no Heroes stages appear in this game. The other Sonic games needs some love, too, y'know?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well they already pretty early on say that no heroes stages would take up the new level slots. So chances for a colors level are getting high!:D

I'm thinking we're getting 2 new Sonic levels. One from Colors (any level from that game would be awesome, though I'm hoping for Sweet Mountain or Starlight Carnival the most) and the other could be a Dreamcast level since the Death Egg already represents the Genesis era. We already have Jet Set Radio giving us city-type levels so for a Dreamcast level maybe Windy Valley or Metal Harbour? Or a level based on the ARK where you mostly fly around Cosmic Fall and Final Rush/Chase and a bit of Crazy Gadget for the driving segments. That could still be different enough from the Death Egg even though it's a similar trope.

Edited by Toothpaste

Don't know about ARK. It's a similar level theme to Death Egg, and I'm kinda iffy because of it. I'm seeing people want something not from Generations, but the thing with that is that the other IPs can do those "themes" Gens didn't do just fine, like Super Monkey Ball for the tropical jungle theme, Golden Axe for the fire theme, etc.

I would seriously hope we're getting more than 2 new Sonic tracks. =\ It's Sonic and All-Stars Racing, not just "All-Stars Racing".

Even if this includes returning Sonic tracks like Death Egg or whatever, I'd hope for at least the same amount of Sonic track coverage as there was in the first game, like, 9 tracks. Then have the other IPs have this "medley of memories" treatment.

Maybe I'm being a sourpuss but I'm not really a huge SEGA fan in general, so with the exception of NiGHTS, JSR and Space Channel 5, I'm not gonna be getting all that much other than pure gameplay out of the obscure IPs. I'm here for the Sonic.

Nine Sonic tracks was fucking obnoxious in the first game. Especially since they were all from Heroes and most of them weren't even that good.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe I'm being a sourpuss

1937558_o.gif

This is the only plausable explaination.

They should bring back Big:

This is the track roster thread, not the racer roster thread. Either way, the game's roster is set in stone at this point.

Nine Sonic tracks was fucking obnoxious in the first game. Especially since they were all from Heroes and most of them weren't even that good.

It's not "SEGA All-Stars Racing" though. If they want to give everyone equal billing they shouldn't advertise it as a Sonic game in big letters at the top. =\ I agree that 9 tracks all from Heroes and only covering 3 tropes was lame last time but on the basis that they've said they're not doing that this game, 9 tracks from Sonic, all unique, would be amazing, and the majority would still be non-Sonic.

Honestly if Sonic only had like two or three tracks that would actually make a serious difference for me on whether I'd pick this up Day 1 or not.

Edited by JezMM

This isn't really a Sonic game. It's not even a Sonic spin-off. It's the newest game in the Sega Superstars series.

Sonic's only at the forefront and in the title for people like you who only really give a shit about Sonic to sell a few extra copies.

The game is for Sega fans and fans of kart racing. Not just Sonic fans. That's how it always has been.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's not "SEGA All-Stars Racing" though. If they want to give everyone equal billing they shouldn't advertise it as a Sonic game in big letters at the top. =\ I agree that 9 tracks all from Heroes and only covering 3 tropes was lame last time but on the basis that they've said they're not doing that this game, 9 tracks from Sonic, all unique, would be amazing, and the majority would still be non-Sonic.

Honestly if Sonic only had like two or three tracks that would actually make a serious difference for me on whether I'd pick this up Day 1 or not.

We've basically known that Sonic's had his name slapped on for marketability since All Stars Racing 1. I'd really rather not see that used as an excuse to starve the other IP's, because they've really got a lot to offer. I don't think it's misadvertising at all.

Plus Sonic as a franchise is already getting way more representation in the form of characters, so it's not like this still isn't primarily a Sonic-thing. More than three stages wouldn't be a problem, but NINE?!

107t1s3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The game is for Sega fans and fans of kart racing. Not just Sonic fans. That's how it always has been.

Funny because the last game had 9 Sonic tracks. =\ I can't believe that expecting the same percentage from this game based on that is such a controversial idea.

I mean if Sonic wasn't meant to get the lion's share, why bother having so many Sonic characters to play as too? If everyone's meant to get equal billing they may as well have just had Sonic and Eggman as characters and no-one else but other SEGA IPs. So I'm basing my expectations on the amount of Sonic trackage we can expect from that too.

I mean I don't want to be a bitch but some of these franchises are basically dead. Samba Di Amigo and Billy Hatcher getting three tracks each last time is far more ridiculous to me than Sonic having nine (again, I know it was just the format they went for, but... yeah on that basis I'd be a bit disappointed if they got new ones this game - if they're even in it).

Edited by JezMM

I mean I don't want to be a bitch but some of these franchises are basically dead. Samba Di Amigo and Billy Hatcher getting three tracks each last time is far more ridiculous to me than Sonic having nine (again, I know it was just the format they went for, but... yeah on that basis I'd be a bit disappointed if they got new ones this game - if they're even in it).
  • Thumbs Up 2

Funny because the last game had 9 Sonic tracks. =\ I can't believe that expecting the same percentage from this game based on that is such a controversial idea.

I'd reckon it's because some people actually like the other franchises.

Edited by JezMM

I like some of em too, and I still don't think my assumptions are unreasonable. If we factor in returning tracks to this as well, Sonic getting 9 tracks would still leave a whopping 15 to the other IPs. Surely that's enough to cover everything worth covering? Hell I'd even whittle it down to 8, maybe 7 for Sonic, but anything less than that would be lame.

How many stages is this game getting, exactly? Wasn't it like, 16 plus some returning courses, or do I have the numbers wrong? Because that would not leave 15 to other IPs.

All this stemmed from was me disagreeing with the idea of Sonic only getting 1-3 tracks like every other IP. I just don't see that happening, to the point that if it did I would protest to the game because I'd feel SEGA really is yanking my chain by advertising it as a Sonic title rather than a general SEGA title.

I also expect Sonic to get more representation, and I don't have an issue with it, but I'm pretty sure it started because you said you'd be disappointed with anything less than 9 Sonic tracks. That's 3 times as many as 3 Sonic tracks! And that's terrible. :c

All Stars is a Sonic game.

Everyone from the other franchises are just bonus characters.

How many stages is this game getting, exactly? Wasn't it like, 16 plus some returning courses, or do I have the numbers wrong? Because that would not leave 15 to other IPs.

Wait, I thought it was 20 new, 4 returning? I might be wrong but I got the idea in my head that it was the same number of tracks as last time (24) but 4 of them aren't new this time.

Edited by JezMM

20 tracks in total. 16 new, 4 returning. It's smaller than the first game which has 24 tracks I think, and three cups short of what Mario Kart has these days (16 new, 16 returning).

Wait, I thought it was 20 new, 4 returning? I might be wrong but I got the idea in my head that it was the same number of tracks as last time (24) but 4 of them aren't new this time.

It's 16 new, 4 returning. So you're not far off, but 9 Sonic tracks would mean the franchise takes over half of the new tracks.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by Lungo

The number of stages is indeed pretty disappointing, but you have to think that they are about 3 times larger than the first game.

I assume there will be quite some DLC stages for this game though

Humm... well in that case 9 would be overdose. I hope for at least 5 but... sheesh that's dampened my excitement since a few months ago when we were all rattling off wishlists into the sunset.

All Stars is a Sonic game.

Everyone from the other franchises are just bonus characters.

Sorry, no. It's a SEGA game. Sonic is first in the title to push more copies. Superstars for the eye toy and Superstars Tennis are of the same series as the All-Stars, and they are not thought of as simply Sonic games with bonus characters. Without all the other SEGA franchises, this game would be nowhere near as popular.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, no. It's a SEGA game. Sonic is first in the title to push more copies. Superstars for the eye toy and Superstars Tennis are of the same series as the All-Stars, and they are not thought of as simply Sonic games with bonus characters. Without all the other SEGA franchises, this game would be nowhere near as popular.

SST and then ASR, the focus has shifted strongly towards Sonic. It's not really a Sonic game in the strictest sense, but it's more that than a SEGA one.

Edited by Blue Blood