Awoo.

Ratchet & Clank

Ratchet_and_Clank_series.png

Ratchet & Clank is a series of 3D platformer/third-person shooter games created and developed by Insomniac Games (also known for creating the Spyro series & Resistance series).

insomniac-logo.jpg

Since the release of the original game for the PlayStation 2, simply called Ratchet & Clank in 2002, the series has gained come to be known as one of the best Sony-exclusive franchises. Since the duo's debut in 2002, has spawned 11 games, a manga, and comic book series. The series is published and owned by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the games have been released on the PS2, PSP, and PS3. All the games altogether have sold 24 million copies, and all the games have come to critical acclaim, and commercial successes. The series this year, is celebrating it's 10th anniversary.

230px-PlayStation_2_logo.svg.png250px-PSP_Logo.svg.png170px-PlayStation_3_Logo_neu.svg.png

tumblr_m96cp30JK01rcpfkho1_1280.png

tumblr_m96ctpX5WT1rcpfkho1_400.png

The series is about a Lombax (some sort of anthro cat-like animal) named Ratchet who with his best friend, a small, but witty and intelligent robot named Clank travel throughout the universe and save it from evil on nearly a daily basis.

tumblr_m96cvuB3ZG1rcpfkho1_r1_250.png

Various weapons throughout the series highly differentiate from average weapons, as they have a creative, wacky, and cartoony touch to them. Such as a gun which a creature that fires destructive belches, a weapon that can open black holes to suck up enemies, a ray that can turn enemies into chickens, a cannon that can suck up enemies then fire them as projectiles, and others.

150px-Suck_cannon.png120px-MorphRender.png180px-Rift_Inducer.jpg250px-Sonic_Eruptor_Transparant.png

The series is also known for it's quirky sense of humor, & making references to other video game franchise, namely, Jak & Datxer, who make small cameo appearances in various Ratchet & Clank games since Insomniac & Naughty Dog have close relations to each other.

I was introduced to Ratchet & Clank when I got a demo of Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction off of PSN. It was my first ever shooter game, and I was BLOWN away by the visuals, and I was highly interested in how the game played. I eventually got the full game, and eventually ended up playing the other Ratchet & Clank games, and since then, I've been a huge Ratchet & Clank fanboy fan to his day.

What do you like about the series? How were you introduced to it? What are some of your favorite games in the series, and what are some of your favorite moments in the series?

Discuss!

Edited by Felix

always loved the R&C series, Tools of Destruction being my favourite, however i felt Crack in Time was a shadow of what it COULD have been, it felt shorter and the weapons weren't as great as ToD but i also remember R&C3 being one of the more harder games in the series (Excluding the original of course) but i've always loved the characters in R&C's universe, its one of the few gaming series that has memorable characters worth remembering, something the Jak & Daxter series lacked.

unfortunately i do not like the direction insomniac have taken with the series recently, all 4 one was short and sweet but i miss the third person shooter/platformer of tools of Destruction, and even Full Frontal Assault being another short Quest for Booty styled game is severely disappointing, give us another ToD sized game, or larger! keep the same characters because god.. i fucking love Nefarious and Lawerence to pieces, and Qwark, the games have their charm, and the humour is actually really good and not abysmally cheesey bad, also the weapons i still think the Discotron is the single most greatest gadget in the entire series.

i've also noticed the innuendo theme they went with the names i mean come on "Up Your Arsenal" "Full Frontal Assault" pure genius.

Edited by Peacock

I've always been a fan of the Ratchet & Clank series, my older cousin got me hooked on it. I love the series bizarre universe, and also, Dr. Nefarious is just fucking awesome....

I've always been a fan of the Ratchet & Clank series, my older cousin got me hooked on it. I love the series bizarre universe, and also, Dr. Nefarious is just fucking awesome....

This. IMO, his best role was in A Crack In Time. I remember being hyped about him returning in that game after he hadn't been in the series since Up Your Arsenal. Edited by Dr. Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love this series. It has a great atmosphere, decent music, good characters, but the weapon system is my favorite thing about the series.

My first experience with the series was when I rented Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. (Locked and Loaded where I'm from.) It was broken, and I couldn't play past Planet Oozla.

A year or so later I picked up Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. I loved it, and It's my favorite R&C game to date. I later purchased Going Commando, and I actually managed to beat the game.

Two years ago I bought Deadlocked, It was alright, the game stagnated after a while though.

A few weeks ago I picked up Tools Of Destruction for a relatively cheap price. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, my favorite weapon probably being the Tornado/Tempest Launcher. I'm also rather fond of the Pyro Blaster.

I've never played the original, so I'll probably be checking out the HD Collection when it releases. I also want to check out Crack In Time when I get the chance.

always loved the R&C series, Tools of Destruction being my favourite, however i felt Crack in Time was a shadow of what it COULD have been, it felt shorter and the weapons weren't as great as ToD but i also remember R&C3 being one of the more harder games in the series (Excluding the original of course) but i've always loved the characters in R&C's universe, its one of the few gaming series that has memorable characters worth remembering, something the Jak & Daxter series lacked.

unfortunately i do not like the direction insomniac have taken with the series recently, all 4 one was short and sweet but i miss the third person shooter/platformer of tools of Destruction, and even Full Frontal Assault being another short Quest for Booty styled game is severely disappointing, give us another ToD sized game, or larger! keep the same characters because god.. i fucking love Nefarious and Lawerence to pieces, and Qwark, the games have their charm, and the humour is actually really good and not abysmally cheesey bad, also the weapons i still think the Discotron is the single most greatest gadget in the entire series.

i've also noticed the innuendo theme they went with the names i mean come on "Up Your Arsenal" "Full Frontal Assault" pure genius.

My favorites are A Crack In Time & Up Your Arsenal. And about the innuendo names, don't forget "Going Commando". tongue.png I haven't played All 4 One yet, so I can't say. Quest For Booty was meh. I didn't like the fact they rehashed weapons from Tools Of Destruction. Edited by Dr. Felix

My favorites are A Crack In Time & Up Your Arsenal. And about the innuendo names, don't forget "Going Commando". tongue.png I haven't played All 4 One yet, so I can't say. Quest For Booty was meh. I didn't like the fact they rehashed weapons from Tools Of Destruction.

the only reason Q4B was rehashed weapons was because it was set directly after ToD in Ratchet's aid to find the Fulcrum Star to find Clank after the Zonii had taken him to the Great Clock, so Ratchet had some of his orginial arsenal from ToD, plus Q4B was super short, and bringing new weapons into a game barely over 2 and half hours would of been stupid due to the lack of replayability that game had, it was more of an introduction to the magnetic OmniWrench than anything, and a teaser for fans who couldn't wait for CiT at the time :P

the only reason Q4B was rehashed weapons was because it was set directly after ToD in Ratchet's aid to find the Fulcrum Star to find Clank after the Zonii had taken him to the Great Clock, so Ratchet had some of his orginial arsenal from ToD, plus Q4B was super short, and bringing new weapons into a game barely over 2 and half hours would of been stupid due to the lack of replayability that game had, it was more of an introduction to the magnetic OmniWrench than anything, and a teaser for fans who couldn't wait for CiT at the time tongue.png

Gotta point. And yeah, I was ultra hyped for Crack In Time. I was like "THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVARRRRRRR".

i did enjoy CiT i mean Alistar was one HELL of a final boss, and took ages to defeat even with fully upgraded weapons and full nanotech/best armour in the game, it was TOUGH always having to keep moving always having to keep lock and placing traps etc. but even the hidden boss in the game, (don't remember his name, the one that froze Qwark and is essentially an alien head in a robot body) he was pretty tough too, the game had a sense of exploration with being able to traverse space in Aphellion but that is why it also felt shorter, since exploration only took you to small planets to pick up scattered Zonii and Rhino schematics etc.

there where very few enemy types too, i'm guessing Insomniac blew their entire budget on the selected enemies in the game, like the Argorians and Nefarious' mechs, granted they DID have a ton of character and animations which was probably the reason, but soem enemies where merely rehashes from ToD.

it just felt a lot shorter compared to ToD imo

stil good though!

These games are some of the funniest, quirkiest games I've ever played, its fucking awesome.

• Thumbs Up 5

I only got into Ratchet and Clank with the current generation, having never owned a Sony console before the PS3. A friend recommended me the Ratchet and Clank games as ones to play, and they certainly didn't steer me wrong; they're a lot of fun to play with some great humour.

I'm looking forward to playing the original games... When they actually get around to releasing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my favorite series of all time, along with Sonic and others. There has never been a Ratchet game made by Insomniac that I didn't enjoy. The gameplay, creativity, characters and even the humor make for a great experience in every game.

I first played Ratchet and Clank years ago, about 2003. I rented it, but wasn't old enough to understand much of the game. Skip to the Year 2009, A youtuber I watch did a let's play of Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2. I enjoyed looking at it and from there I've been a huge fan.

I was introduced to R&C few years ago. I bought PS3 with Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty and three other games. I LOVED R&C:QfB!!!! Talking system was the best thing about this game and I wish it could be introduced to other games. Soon I bought Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time. Literally fell in love with this franchise. Amazing humour, great story and awesome characters. I'm not sure which game I like the most but I love aCiT. It managed to be like other games in the franchise while being fresh and adding new things (hover boots, exploring space, round planets ala Super Mario Galaxy). Only classic game I own is Up your Arsenal, hopefully Ratchet and Clank Trilogy is going to come out soon and I already preordered it. As of today Ratchet & Clank is my favourite franchise next to Sonic and I can't wait for Q-force, gotta preorder this one as well.

Unfortunately for me, I lack a PS3 to play any of the newer Ratchet and Clanks. That hasn't exactly stopped me from playing parts of them on some friends PS3, but it has kept me from getting more deeper into the games.

As for me myself, I've been playing Ratchet and Clank since the PS2 era. Started with Going Commando before going to the first Ratchet and Clank and then immediately to Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked. I have kept these games ever since. What I love about this series is the cartoon humor you get from your typical saturday mourning cartoons, and even when things get serious and grimdark in comparison to its usual tone it still manages to keep itself known as Ratchet and Clank without trying too hard to be something else.

That's a bit ironic when I say that, because Deadlocked was easily going for a Halo-esque feel to it, but even with that influence you still knew it as Ratchet and Clank with the usual goofy humor you've come to know it for. This series is one of the great inspirations for me in video games.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Though I don't know if it's okay to bump this. I gotta mention this. The PS2 Ratchet & Clanks had some priceless commercials.

• 4 weeks later...

Nah it's still going to be good. You know why? 'Cause of hoverboots making an comeback!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I don't get why that's being called never-before-seen concept art. It seems they forgot that getting all the skill points in the first Ratchet game unlocked most if not all of the concept art being shown here.

Regardless, 10 years and still going strong. I'm glad. I love the Ratchet series. It's second only to Sonic the Hedgehog for me. For a time it was above Sonic even.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get why that's being called never-before-seen concept art. It seems they forgot that getting all the skill points in the first Ratchet game unlocked most if not all of the concept art being shown here.

Regardless, 10 years and still going strong. I'm glad. I love the Ratchet series. It's second only to Sonic the Hedgehog for me. For a time it was above Sonic even.

Ratchet & Clank is actually my all-time favorite video game franchise, and always will be. But either way, it was still interesting to see those first betas of R&C1. It's amazing how much the series has changed since 2002. Edited by Felix

On a completely different note, why isn't this sexy look his main one in Full Frontal Assault? I know it's just the pilot suit with a few minor changes but it looks badass:

sKnCi.png

• Thumbs Up 3

On a completely different note, why isn't this sexy look his main one in Full Frontal Assault? I know it's just the pilot suit with a few minor changes but it looks badass:

sKnCi.png

Man, that looks awesome. <3

Much better, his face is way too smoth in the Future games to me.

Much better, his face is way too smoth in the Future games to me.

f anything, I want to see his old school look return, as a skin at least.