Awoo.

Microsoft's Super All Stars Smash Bros. Battle Royal? Nope.

Nintendoga

That would appeal to an entirely different market, though.
Considering it's pretty much the Xbox's target demograph (well, once you get past all their recent Kinect marketing bullshit), I'm really not seeing that as a bad thing.

It could work, but it would be awkward to include some of their IPs that would be better suited to a brawler like Splosion Man, Banjo or Blinx.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ob-trBMbQ

Problem sovled.

Okay, but seriously though, it's not like this isn't a hurdle other crossovers haven't had to handle either - lest we forget that Mr. Killzone and the Big Daddy are in Sony All Stars despite being traditionally shooter characters, and that we have, among people, the memetic badass that is Captain Falcon in Smash Bros despite being in a fucking racing game of all things. And hell, the entire Karting genre is essentially the shoehorning in of characters that have almost never set foot inside a vehicle before. Why would this be a problem now?

Edited by The Cheese

He's right. I don't want it. I don't want this Sony clone either.

Just because people did this in the past doesn't suddenly make it okay to do it today. Standards should improve over time. Yeah back then everybody wanted their game to be like the hottest one on the market, so everyone did it, doesn't make it okay to do today where expectations, tech, and standards have changed.
Edited by Tornado

Theoretical question:

What do you think the gaming industry would be like if nobody was ever allowed to clone or make a game inspired by another game?

Theoretical question:

What do you think the gaming industry would be like if nobody was ever allowed to clone or make a game inspired by another game?

Theoretical question:

I wish they would've copied Smash Bros more. Their changes seem crappy.

I wish they would've copied Smash Bros more. Their changes seem crappy.

I haven't seen much, but I kind of feel the same way. The backgrounds seem to have more character than the levels themselves.

I'm not saying it's illegal, I'm saying it's rather pathetic and unoriginal. I see it as a bad practice. I'm not saying the game's not going to be fun. When somebody calls something a direct ripoff, that's not something to be proud of. If you copy something at least tweak it to make it's identity different and unique. People called Banjo Kazooie a Mario 64 clone, but it wasn't like the case I see here with sony smash bros. Banjo had it's own mechanics, ideas, and design heavily influenced by Mario 64. This sony game i see absolutely no difference in anything from nintendos. This is my problem. To call this game an influence of Smash Bros is wrong. It is a direct ripoff with (as of from what I've seen) no original ideas of its own.

Oh pwease, stop being so bitter. For one you haven't played the game, and for you to say it has no ideas of its own, and just copied and pasted Smash Bros (which means everything on it is the same) means you haven't watched the gameplay videos properly or didn't bother watching them. I suggest you read more on how the damn game works.

Because if Battle Royale is a copy pasta, so is Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Crash Team Racing with Mario Kart, Soulcalibur with Tekken, Alan Wake with Alone in the Dark. Pro Evolution Soccer with FIFA Soccer.

Diddy Kong Racing was in cooperation with Nintendo at least, that and they gave it some new ideas like being able to fly and use a boat, and an adventure mode, bosses. Gave it it's own unique identity.

Battle Royale isn't finished, and one of the unique identities of Battle Royale is each playable character will have its own story in story mode. Again if you did your research instead of blowing your head off.

Just because people did this in the past doesn't suddenly make it okay to do it today. Standards should improve over time. Yeah back then everybody wanted their game to be like the hottest one on the market, so everyone did it, doesn't make it okay to do today where expectations, tech, and standards have changed.

Again I'm not talking about just the design or just the genre. Everything and no tweaking from a competitor is what shocks me.

I'll say this again. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (the original). Say what you want, it's a Mario Kart ripoff. Same goes for most sport simulator games.

He's right. I don't want it. I don't want this Sony clone either.

I do!

===

I'm honestly tired of people saying Sony is completely unoriginal while they are ignoring games of God of War, Uncharted, Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet. Unlike Microsoft who are only interested in shooters and Kinect, Sony wants to expand their genres. So if a fan of Nintendo wants another console, he will most likely get a Sony console because of other games to play instead of just shooters and Kinect.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 6

You guys keep trying to justify that this game shouldn't be called a rip off by using games from the past as an example. My argument is that standards for games should improve over time. This is 2012, anything you can imagine you can pretty much create. In the past companies were desperate, games were primitive, companies stole ideas, yes that's still unoriginal, but in 2012 seeing a rival company steal someone elses game concept, where everything looks identical to it is just shameless. I'm not saying it won't be fun, if you want to play it fine, but I don't like the blatant copying. The fact that people are supporting this makes me sick. Instead of supporting using the characters in a more unique, funny concept. Stop misunderstanding me by saying how horrible it'd be if nobody copied ideas from others. There's a diff between being influenced and carbon copying. I'm not talking about copying some ideas.

I've seen enough footage from this game to not see a damn difference with Brawl. Sony was too lazy to come up with a concept of their own, so they stole nintendo's. I don't see why everyone is calling me bitter when that's the truth.

And stop mentioning All Stars Racing. That game at least plays differently, and doesn't use karts. Sony Smash Bros looks like Brawl. I don't see any difference in mechanics, graphics, physics, interface, nothing.That's my problem. They could've used these characters for something so much better and fresh and funny.

Sony Smash Bros looks like Brawl. I don't see any difference in mechanics, graphics, physics, interface, nothing.That's my problem.

So you're admitting that your problem is that you haven't properly looked at the game at all and noticed all of the core differences between the two games. Okay. The game isn't Sony Smash Bros, lounge. It's PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

It has it's own fucking identity and its own gameplay mechanics and such that make it plenty different from Smash Bros. It's no different than any other different game in the same genre.

You try and make a point that All-Stars Racing plays differently from Mario Kart and then completely fail to grasp that PlayStation All-Stars has more things to differentiate it from Smash Bros. than All-Stars Racing from Mario Kart.

That argument fails. It makes no sense. It's flawed.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

The fact that people are supporting this makes me sick.

I'm sorry to be an ass, but shut up.

And stop mentioning All Stars Racing. That game at least plays differently, and doesn't use karts. Sony Smash Bros looks like Brawl. I don't see any difference in mechanics, graphics, physics, interface, nothing.That's my problem. They could've used these characters for something so much better and fresh and funny.

There are differences to the mechanics.

I've seen enough footage from this game to not see a damn difference with Brawl.

Then you're either blind or deluded.

I don't see why everyone is calling me bitter when that's the truth.

No this isn't the truth. And yes you are being bitter.

And stop mentioning All Stars Racing. That game at least plays differently, and doesn't use karts. Sony Smash Bros looks like Brawl. I don't see any difference in mechanics, graphics, physics, interface, nothing.That's my problem.

That's because you never played the game.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 3

You guys keep trying to justify that this game shouldn't be called a rip off by using games from the past as an example. My argument is that standards for games should improve over time.

You argument has no merit, because you never bothered to give it any. Repeatedly throwing it around at face value without bothering to explain why it applies doesn't make it any more accurate than it was the first time.

This is 2012, anything you can imagine you can pretty much create. In the past companies were desperate, games were primitive, companies stole ideas, yes that's still unoriginal, but in 2012 seeing a rival company steal someone elses game concept, where everything looks identical to it is just shameless.

It's 2012. It still fucking happens. Everywhere. And it happens on purpose, because when people like something in a game and it works well, people like to see it in other games, so other companies do it. This includes copying everything wholesale if the game does enough things fantastically right, which Sony Smash Brothers does not do anyway.

So, allow me to be blunt: What gives you ultimate arbitration powers to dictate how companies design games when your only justification for it so far has been "because I don't like it"?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

People are actually defending the obvious clone? Wow.

It's Super Smash Bros, but with Sony characters instead of Nintendo's. Practically everything is the same. Making a game in the same genre is one thing, but blatantly ripping off every aspect of the game and calling it your own is another.

If it's fun, why the fuck does it matter if it's a clone or not?

I can't play Brawl on a PS3, and I don't own a Wii.

• Thumbs Up 2

People are actually defending the obvious clone? Wow.

It's Super Smash Bros, but with Sony characters instead of Nintendo's. Practically everything is the same. Making a game in the same genre is one thing, but blatantly ripping off every aspect of the game and calling it your own is another.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sorry to be an ass, but shut up.

no

Then you're either blind or deluded.
I can say the same about you on how blind and deluded you are that you think that they aren't identical.

That's because you never played the game
Neither have you.

No this isn't the truth.
So sony wasn't lazy? How? This doesn't look like it took along time to come up with because the concept already existed. Health bars and mixing of stages from franchises obviously wasn't enough to make it seem different enough from Brawl.

There are differences to the mechanics.

You have health bars now. That's the only thing I noticed. You keep trying to defend the game saying how different it is from Brawl. How exactly is it different aside from health bars? If the developers wanted to make it look like this game was different enough from Brawl, they've done a poor job at showing it so far.

That argument fails. It makes no sense. It's flawed
You didn't even make an argument. You just claimed that it has it's own identity and mechanics from Brawl. You're trying to make it seem like your opinion is fact and mine is flawed.

It's 2012. It still fucking happens. Everywhere. And it happens on purpose, because when people like something in a game and it works well, people like to see it in other games, so other companies do it. This includes copying everything wholesale if the game does enough things fantastically right
So that automatically means it's okay? Since when is a ripoff something to be proud of? Borrowing elements from something is one thing, but carbon copying is another.

So, allow me to be blunt: What gives you ultimate arbitration powers to dictate how companies design games when your only justification for it so far has been "because I don't like it"?
Everybody has views. I'll state my opinions however way I want. This is my opinion so far from the footage I've seen. Nothing looks original or fresh. When the game comes out, we'll see how similar if feels to Brawl.

Neither have you.

No. That argument simply does not fly. You were the fucking one claiming that the game was identical to begin with. You are the one who has to support that. And since you haven't played it (or, clearly, even bothered watching the fucking videos for it), you cannot. That's what the point to saying you haven't played it was saying. Nothing more.

Health bars and mixing of stages from franchises obviously wasn't enough to make it seem different enough from Brawl.

Conclusions like that tend to happen when you only have the vaguest of concepts of how everything actually works.

Much like when you claimed that this sort of thing doesn't always happen in the idustry.

So that automatically means it's okay?

Since you still haven't fucking bothered explaining why it shouldn't be... yeah, pretty much. Just like it has been pretty much okay for the past 25 years.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Since you still haven't fucking bothered explaining why it shouldn't be... yeah, pretty much. Just like it has been pretty much okay for the past 25 years.

Everything is inspired from something. But making a game so that it's just different enough from it's inspiration is important. Like Banjo Kazooie and Spyro. Originality is a good trait. Plagiarism isn't. I shouldn't have to explain why it's not okay to steal ideas.

No. That argument simply does not fly. You were the fucking one claiming that the game was identical to begin with. You are the one who has to support that. And since you haven't played it, you cannot. That's what the point to saying you haven't played it was saying. Nothing more.
So I can't have an opinion on gameplay footage? Isn't that the point of gameplay footage, to see if you're interested in it. I'm looking at the gameplay and everything about the movement of the characters, the way they're hit, the way they attack, the way they roll, the double jumps, eveything looks exactly like Brawl. That's what it looks like to me. You can't claim to say it's different from Brawl when you can't even back it up. You keep saying my arguments are flawed or, when you don't have any.

Saying something like Skywards Swords controls are broken before you play it, that's a flawed argument. Saying it looks cool or it looks bad from footage isn't flawed.

Edited by lounge

Everything is inspired from something. But making a game so that it's just different enough from it's inspiration is important.

Well, then PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is totally in the clear.

Originality is a good trait. Plagiarism isn't. I shouldn't have to explain why it's not okay to steal ideas.

That's... four times now that you've brought that up without bothering to explain why anyone (particularly PS3 owners who will be able to play this game) should care. Fifth times the charm?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can say the same about you on how blind and deluded you are that you think that they aren't identical.

You're blind and deluded because you didn't read my post from the previous page. You just went on and said the same thing over and over again, saying Sony is lazy and unoriginal.

Neither have you.

But I did my research. You clearly didn't. That's what differs between you and me. You probably just saw one gameplay video for probably 10 seconds and like typical Nintendo fanboy, shouts "SONY COPIED SMASH BROS! OMG OMG!"

So sony wasn't lazy? How? This doesn't look like it took along time to come up with because the concept already existed. Health bars and mixing of stages from franchises obviously wasn't enough to make it seem different enough from Brawl.

And again, didn't read my post from the previous page. That's why I think you are clearly blind.

So that automatically means it's okay? Since when is a ripoff something to be proud of? Borrowing elements from something is one thing, but carbon copying is another.

Somebody kill me now.

Everybody has views. I'll state my opinions however way I want. This is my opinion so far from the footage I've seen. Nothing looks original or fresh. When the game comes out, we'll see how similar if feels to Brawl.

It's better to keep your opinions to yourself at this point because you clearly have no idea what's going on in this game.

EDIT: Plagiarism? Okay, I'll be waiting for Nintendo to sue Sony.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 2

Besides, if you want to create a mascot get-together game, the only real options besides a fighter are party games or kart racers, and if Sony vied for those one could just as easily say they were ripping off Mario Party or Mario Kart.

That would appeal to an entirely different market, though. It could work, but it would be awkward to include some of their IPs that would be better suited to a brawler like Splosion Man, Banjo or Blinx.

I can't agree with that statement. They are no restrictions in the imagination, and you won't really know if something will work if you don't try it. What would we have though about a mascot mash up before Smash Bros and SEGA All-Stars?

Although the first to mix characters from other games together was probably Fighters Megamix on the Sega Saturn, I think...

I'll admit that I'm not very familiar with Sonys IPs. I did like games like Ratchet & Clank, God of War and Sly Raccoon, but I got bored of them by the end of the PS2. They haven't really created any new IPs that have kept me interested. Although I do like the idea of Sackboy kicking Kratos head in. lol

But anyway, if you guys are tired of people calling it a Smash Bros clone, then the only way to stop it is to leave the internet. The fact is, people will still see it like that, regardless of what you say. It's pointless to take your aggression out on someone who wasn't present at a previous discussion. It will only alienate them, and they don't deserve that.

Saying that, I'm not completely close minded about the game...I'll wait and see what new features they'll try to implement. It maybe too soon to pass judgement...

But don't you guys think it would've been better to tell us doubters what Sonys Allstar Battle Royal is doing differently, rather then list other games that have done similar? It would've worked better for me, because most of the games Tornado has mentioned, I've never actually played... ^^;

Except for Crash Team Racing, which actually managed to be better then it's counterpart, Mario Kart 64. With it's story mode, boss racers, race themes that the other game has never done and many more secrets than the N64 game. But that is my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1